Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 1,902
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2008 vintage
appearance: Gorgeous black, think cocoa head.
smell: Wow. Vanilla, rich molasses, even some coconut.
taste: Wow some more. rich chocolate, vanilla. I flirted with a perfect score on this one.
Updated 10/16/11
Been jones'in for this since i first had it. Upgraded taste to a 5. Thanks to my best friend for spontaneously gifting this bad boy. This is a wonderful beer.
mouthfeel: Full, creamy, medium carbonation.
drinkability: This is a tamed beast. Rich but mellow.

cindyjeffsmith, Feb 05, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -2.8%

Again, thanks to GoOSU for generous extra...Yeah Steve!

A--Great head, retention, and this sucker is pitch black...

S--Wow, bourbon anyone? This emanates bourbon, oak, and vanilla, nice.

T--This is awesome. Taste of bourbon, malts, vanilla, just sublime. Mellowed nicely with some time on it...

M--Perfect MF, smooth, silky, great stuff.

D--Boozy, not to be trifled with. Highly recommended...

garbercury, Feb 01, 2011
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle / Bottled on: 11/12/09

A: Jet black with a two finger off-white head. Nice lacing.

S: Molasses, bourbon, chocolate, charred oak, and vanilla. A hint of sweet brown bread sneaks in, as well.

T: Very complex. Bourbon and molasses trade back and forth to start. Chocolate, dark roast coffee, and a slight hint of dark, over-ripe fruit in the middle. French vanilla ice cream finishes it off, along with some roastiness.

M: Viscous and oily. Coats the entire palate. Barely any carbonation.

D: Excellent brew. Definitely a sit-back-and-relax sipper. The alcohol, however, is well hidden in the layers of flavor.

jayt206, Feb 01, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -24%

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011.
Pours a deep pitch black color with brown or ruby highlights and a medium thick brown head with a fair amount of lacing. Smells of coffee, chocolate, and a lot of roasted malts. Tastes very complex: with dark fruits, cherry, roasted malts, and chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is low.

TheKingofWichita, Jan 31, 2011
4.58/5  rDev 0%

Well here we go. Bought this 2009 bottle a while ago with a one bottle limit and at the the time it was the most I had ever spent on a bomber at $13. I decided to try this tonight because i have never had it and i am constantly searching for more. This thing has been begging to be popped since I bought it and i realized that i am not going to get anymore. So pour into a nice chalice with vigor. Beautiful black with a nice off white head. Smelling this beauty is not what i was expecting at all. It reminds me of Jewbelation, which i love. I get big dried fruits, chocolate. Some wood and bourbon. Taste follow nose with a hint if not more of copenhagen snuff. A bit too sweet not at all what i was expecting. Very viscous. And pleasing as it coats my tonguel. Glad i had some one to share it with. The search has been finalized, if i find if i will buy if,,. Just dont need the quest anymore. Cheers.

pumptrick, Jan 30, 2011

12 oz bottle into DFH snifter. Bottle 11/12/09

A - Pitch black with almost no head. A tiny wisp of light brown head is present. Alcohol lacing is very prevalent. No head lacing. Very very thick and viscous.

S - Molasses, dark cherry, dark chocolate. Booze and an oakey whiskey aroma.

T - Booze, chocolate, and a bit of bourbon. Flavor comes in three stages, making tasting this beer a real treat. First comes the boozey molasses and whiskey, then a first finish of incredible warm dark chocolate (the best part of the beer is this initial 'finish'), and finally a slightly roasted malt base. finish has a considerable espresso bean note that is just divine. Like chocolate covered coffee beans. I just can't imagine a better tasting stout. A bit hotter when it warms, to its detriment.

M - Thick! Full bodied and a lot of boozy warmth. No noticeable carbonation.

O - This, not KBS, is the perfect Bourbon Barrel Stout. KBS lets the bourbon flavors dominate the stout a bit too much. Meanwhile BCBS allows the stout to be enhanced enormously by the Bourbon barrels. BCBS has a brilliant stout at its base, and is aged in brilliant Bourbon barrels, creating a stout that is simply incredible.

greenmonstah, Jan 29, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -33.8%

A: Pours a very thick, dark black. Even with a rough pour, I only got about a centimeter of milk chocolate-colored head, which quickly vanished into nothing with no real lacing to speak of.

S: Sweet chocolate up front followed by bourbon, alcohol, and toffee aromas.

T: Some sweet chocolate at first which is then overwhelmed by the bourbon flavors. There's some toffee on the aftertaste, but mostly it's just bourbon. The bourbon is not subtle at all and the beer is sticky sweet.

M: Thick body with very little carbonation. The bourbon becomes more apparent as the beer sits in your mouth and it coats your mouth with a sticky layer of malt.

D: Not very drinkable at all. The beer is cloyingly sweet and the bourbon overwhelms all other flavors. I've heard it's better with age, but fresh it's all syrupy sweet bourbon with a bit of toffee on the side.

n2185, Jan 29, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Color is a black hole. No light escapes this beer. No head to speak of, but alcohol lacing sticks to the side of the glass like glue.

S - Coffee, chocolate, toffee, and alcohol dominate the smell. Molasses is there as well. Sweet smelling, not really a roasted smell.

T - Taste is mostly chocolate, hints of the coffee, toffee, and molasses that were in the aroma but nowhere near as dominant as the chocolate. Chocolate is both sweet and rich dark chocolate flavors. There is a slight burn at the end of the taste.

M - Slightly thinner bodied than I expected but still a heavy thick body. Carbonation is minimally noticeable. Finish is a deep rich sweet chocolate that just coats the tongue for a few minutes after the taste.This beer seems to have a second finish as well which highlights the malt base in the beer with some roasted and chocolate malts.

D - Alcohol is noticeable but doesnt take away from the drinkability. Well balanced beer with some surprising balances of tastes that were not expected at first. Very good tasting beer that I would love to get my hands on more of.

GarrettMD, Jan 29, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at the lazy boy saloon with R Moe Nay on our bourbon county rare racer x diccicio's NY trip.

A - Same as in the bottle... with an even bigger Jimmy Neutron head. Jet black body with a dark tan head. Looks like perfection.

S - Chocolate, malt, booze, coffee. If I walked into a room and found Christina Ricci and Katy Perry fiddling... I would expect it to smell like this. Absolutely heavenly.

T - Big bourbon sweetness. Chocolate, Caramel, a smoky finish to it. I didn't find the tap version nearly as hot as the bottle. This stuff is a

M - Very rich and full bodied. Creamy would be an understatement. Might be the thickest bodied beer I've come across so far on tap.

D - For a 13 percent beer not bad. Def a sipper. Much more drinkable on tap than in the bottle.

Had the ’08 on tap on 4/16/2011 Rattle N Hum in NY. So excited to get to try this one on tap with over 3 years age on it. It is amazing. Def gets better with age. Even smoother, richer, and creamier than the fresh version. What a treat.

DNICE555, Jan 26, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This brew pours pitch black with a fingers worth of mocha colored head that dissipates quickly. This big boy has legs that stick. The nose brings scents of bourbon and sweet malt that blast through the senses. The smell of spent coffee grounds seems to mask the booziness pretty well. The taste is best put as "outstanding". Sweet malts and bourbon are perfectly blended with coffee tastes that leave an incredibly sensational aftertaste that lingers graciously. This full bodied powerhouse of a stout is rich, thick, and full, leaving behind a quenched thirst and a satisfied palate. Drink it!!!

ChugginOil, Jan 26, 2011
4.58/5  rDev 0%

12 oz 2010 bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to calbertb2 for getting me some of this, as we don't get it down here in Texas and I've been looking forward to it for a long time.

A: Very small head full of tiny, dark bubbles that fades immediately. This thing is pitch black and intimidating. Not a shade of light gets through. Extremely thick and heavy looking.

S: Well, I can smell the bourbon on this as soon as I open the bottle. It is extremely prominent. Once I work my way through that I get some wood and the sweetness works its way to the forefront, vanilla, caramel, fruits. As this warms the fruit aromas really come out, predominantly fig. Following that I can pick up on some bitter chocolate. It's kind of surprising how sweet this smells after the initial bourbon takeover.

T: Wow...this tastes incredible. I'm a huge bourbon fan, and the bourbon transforms this beer in an amazing way. The taste really follows the nose, but everything is multiplied tenfold. There is a definite alcohol presence, predominantly in the finish, that wasn't in the nose, but it's very pleasantly smokey and warming. Perhaps a little bit too sweet for me - the sweet flavors do well to balance everything else, but I feel like they should back everything else up (especially the bourbon) a little more rather than coming to the forefront so much. That being said, this is one of the best (if not the best) tasting beers I have ever had.

M: Wonderful thick and heavy mouthfeel with a perfect amount of carbonation. The beer practically coats the inside of my mouth and stays there for a long time.

D: Though this is most certainly a sipper, the drinkability is phenomenal. After exploring all of the flavors of one sip, the aftertaste lingers for some time, very enjoyably, and just as it's about to fade I can't wait to take another sip. Though I wouldn't want to have more than one of these, one is more than enough to keep me satisfied.

tsatem, Jan 26, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle (bottled on 1/14/2010) into a Swiss snifter. Drank 374 days after bottling. Thanks go out to mbusster88 for the trade that incorporated this bottle.

Pours thick and viscous. To cause any turbulence in the pour I had to hold the bottle over foot above my small glass, which still only produced a tiny layer of head, which is itself as dark as some stouts. No highlights whatsoever show when I hold this up to light- darker in fact that used motor oil! Something truly beautiful to behold.

Deep thick dark fruits and charred wood are first to greet my olfactory senses as I inhale the aroma of this brew. If you dissolved molasses in rum and soaked currants, raisins and figs in the resulting syrup, and then left it in the bottom of a charred oak barrel and forgot about it, that would be similar. Squeezing around the sides of those fat aromas are deeply roasted malts and some lighter bourbon-oak notes, incorporating hints of vanilla and nearly black roasted barley.

The nose is one thing, but the flavor goes to a whole new level. I wasn't prepared for this. My mind how has a new reference point for what darkness in beer can be. How can this be so charred and black without being acrid and astringent? I don't know... and I have only had two sips. Onward. Loads of malt fill the flavors, and it is obvious that this is still a beer. Roasted barley is present, but never do any toasty flavors of the lighter malts show through. Neither do hops per se, but their bitterness is obvious. Then to crown all this and to bind it all together is the charred-oak and bourbon. This isn't as blatant as I expected it to be, but is there all the same. A wonderful drying semi-sweet bitterness shows up at the very end, and it reminds me of the smell of freshly ground high quality coffee beans, or maybe high quality very dark chocolate. Noticeably absent is a significant aftertaste, very interesting but not a problem. Dark fruit flavors parallel the nose throughout this whole flavor, and the line between them and the malts is blurry.

Mouthfeel is very thick and coating, but not cloying or syrupy in a negative way. Carbonation is good where it is, and for once I feel it could be higher and I wouldn't mind. I wonder if it has lost any through the screw-on cap...

For this beer drinkability becomes sipability, which is very very good. The alcohol is buried under the astounding flavors, and barely even prickles on the tongue. the only evidence of it is the burning and warming in my chest, similar to a strong red wine.

Conclusion: This is my highest ABV beer to date I believe, and is certainly the thickest and darkest. A truly awesome creation, and one I have waited long to try. I have a 22oz bomber in my cellar, and it will continue to wait there... for I want to put the 5 year claim to the test. Overall this beer is outstanding.

allforbetterbeer, Jan 24, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A long search ended today with me finally getting my hand on GI BCBS! After several trips to Chicago, I finally made my way over to their brewpub in Wrigleyville on the day of the Bears NFC Championship Game appearance to grab one of the holy grails of beer.

A: Jet black with a short mocha head that fades quickly but stuck to the sides a bit.

S: Bourbon, oak, and a healthy amount of dark chocolate and caramel.

T: The bourbon barrel influence shows up early and stays for the ride. It is then joined with the dark chocolate and caramel with a bit of dark fruits as well. It finishes with a pleasant booziness from the bourbon.

M: FULL bodied and thick with a wonderful aftertaste.

D: An excellent stout that I'm glad I finally got the opportunity to try. This is amongst the best barrel aged brews that I've had, clearly one that set the standard. This brew was a nice part of a great day in Chicago with my lovely wife while temporarily joining the local fans cheering for the their Bears in the NFC Championship Game (alas they lost). This is a true Chicago treasure and all beer fans should come to this great city to enjoy it as it was meant to be.

jdg204, Jan 24, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a New Belgium globe. Bottle was marked as a 2009 vintage bottled on November 12, 2009. Beer was allowed to warm for about 30 minutes before taking the first sip, a very difficult feat, mind you.

A: Beer pours an incredibly viscous jet black with about a fingers worth of a mocha head, which dissipates into a thin cap, which vanished altogether in the matter of about a minute. For just a bit the beer looks almost like a glass of Pepsi. The completely opaque BCBS leaves no lacing behind as the beer is enjoyed.

S: Aroma is, captain obvious time, heavy on the bourbon, with big notes of vanilla and burnt/charred oak. A heaping helping of dark chocolates and booze are partying in the glass too. Some dark fruits (prunes and dates maybe?) hit me in the back of he throat while taking a deep sniff. Definitely smells sweet. All of these scents explode even more as the beer warms up. It was so complex I had a hard time deciphering some of the scents, but they were all pleasing.

T: Man alive, is this what beer heaven is like? Dark chocolate malts mixed with those prunes (chocolate covered prunes, anyone?) pound into your palate like a ton of bricks. The bourbon element comes on strong as well with the vanilla. It is initially very sweet and boozy. Some burnt oak notes and coffee-like bitterness mix with just a tinge of molasses. I might be crazy but are there some citrus/tropical hops in here too? Finish is again boozy, and there is a lingering sweetness on the tongue. There was so much going on that my taste buds were a little overwhelmed at times. Beer warms the soul, and not just from the booze. I cannot stress how well all of these flavors meld together in a delicious cacophony of beer.

M: Simply the best feeling beer in my mouth ever. Thick, chewy, immensely smooth. In some ways it almost feels like a bourbon and chocolate milkshake in the mouth. Every last inch of the mouth is coated with flavor. Even down the back of my throat is coated. Carbonation is light but present, in a good way.

D: One of the very few problems is the heavy dose of alcohol at 13% ABV, cause it comes on like a major league fastball, warming the tips of the ears in a hurry. Onslaught of flavor can be a little overwhelming on the palate, which leads to longer wait times in between sips. Your body wants another, but it can't handle it.

O: After savoring my way through several bottles of KBS the past few months, I wasn't sure if the bourbon barrel stout category could get any better, but I was wrong. I honestly think BCBS is better in just about every way. I have never had much or liked bourbon itself, but it turns this beer into something special. There may not be a better way to unwind after a long day at work when the temperature falls into the single digits. So glad I finally nutted up and bought a bottle. Thank you Goose Island, thank you.

BigHeavy, Jan 23, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Another beer I've had so much of but never sat down to do a review of. It's one of the coldest nights of the year so far here and I just had a craving for some bourbon flavors this evening so I thought it was time to finally do one.

2009 vintage poured from a 22oz bottle into my Portsmouth glass. It poured pitch black in color with a very modest tan head to it. The head retreated to the edges of the glass where it left a little lacing as I drank it.

The aroma is full of bourbon barrel flavors. Oak and vanilla really add a smoothness to the beer overall. The bourbon alcohol flavors provide some nice depth and complexity. The stout comes through and adds some sweetness as well as a bit of some roasty flavors. Everything comes together so well in it. Fantastic aroma overall, and not really anything more that I can ask for in the style.

The taste starts out by showing more of the woody, oak and vanilla flavors to it. the sweetness and bitterness of the base beer come through as well. As you get midway through the bourbon really starts to come through and adds some alcohol heat. The finish has a perfect balance of all the flavors coming together. Sweeter vanilla and oak mix with bourbon alcohol, along with some roasty and bitter stout flavors. Perfect example of how barrel aging can enhance flavors.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being low. Pretty much perfect again for the style, the low carbonation really fits the bourbon flavors nicely. The thick and almost silky mouthfeel is pretty much all I can ask for in a big stout as well.

Drinkability is very good overall. I love how all the flavors mix and everything compliments each other nicely. This is the perfect example of a barrel aged beer in my opinion and one I hold all others to as a benchmark. One of the best beers I've had period. Perfect drink for this cold evening.

billab914, Jan 23, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour: Dark black and thick like motor oil. There was an espresso colored one finger head that slowly dissipated into itself and sat near the edges.

Nose: Sweet bourbon characteristics such as vanilla, caramel, and charred oak along with bittersweet chocolate, roasted chocolate malt, loads of sugar, alcohol, and dark fruits that tend towards prunes, figs, and dates.

Taste: Initially a slap in the face of sweet sugars, chocolate malt, and alcohol followed by bourbon, vanilla, caramel, charred oak and slight coconut. This is followed by charred oak, roasted malts, alcohol, and more sugars stemming from the dark fruits.

Mouthfeel: Thick and sludgy, coating the entire mouth. I love the chewy nature of this beast of a beer.

Overall: I have always loved this beer, and every time I have it i revel in it's huge bourbon kick, thick mouthfeel, and the smell as soon as the cap is off. Glad I'm getting coffee and vanilla in a current trade. My vertical later this year will be 09-11 BCBS, BCBVS 10 and BCBCS 10. Going to be a fun, drunk night.

waltersrj, Jan 22, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -4.4%

2008 bottle straight from my cellar and poured into my DFH Chalice.

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark, think looking black with virtually no head despite a less than delicate pour. There's some moderate runny, soapy lacing going on but nothing that really sticks to the sides of the glass. Looks potent.

Smell: Whoah, big and in your face. Strong notes from the bourbon barrel, some faded coffee, and bitter chocolate.

Taste: Some nice chocolate notes with some faded coffee and an almost smokey kind of roastiness going on, all blended with a slightly boozy bit of bourbon. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation and a nice medium to full body.

Drinkability: This is a fantastic beer. I've shared a bottle of this brew with friends several times in the past, and I have to admit that one bottle can easily be shared between two or three people. It's a great tasting beer, but so intense that I don't think I could drink more than one of these in an evening. I sure would like to try, though.

krisandajt, Jan 22, 2011
4.53/5  rDev -1.1%

A: pitch dense black, trace head on top.

S: bourbon barrel, smoked peat, dark chocolate, hint of coffee

T: sweet chocolate, smoky barrel, and hint of roasted coffee.

M: heavy/med body, smooth drink, low carbonation.

D: This is incredible. The best Goose Island beer and one of the best Imperial Stouts out there. Try it, you will thank me.

BeerLover99, Jan 19, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle from 10/16/2008.

A: Pours a dark black, but not as thick as you might imagine.

S: Most of the bourbon smell has dissipated, a hint of malts and chocolate.

T: Very complex, a lot of the heat has withered away, but there still is a bourbon presences, but it's not overwhelming. A malty, chocolate taste is noticeable. Maybe a hint of coffee, not over powering.

M: The alcohol is most present when just after finishing a sip. A slight burn, but nothing major. The rest of the flavors tingle the mouth.

D: A 12 oz. bottle is actually perfect when shared with another person. I wouldn't want any more than this, but having said that, it's super tasty and worth the $4.50 I paid for it.

cpmichael, Jan 19, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +5.5%

This is one of my favorite beers...it is one of the few beers I would drive for hours to buy. I agree with what the 1000's of other reviews say...this beer is outstanding. It is truly a trendsetter and the mark for which other BB aged beers should be judged.

crashdavisinoh, Jan 18, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

2009 vintage, poured into an oversized wine glass.

Pours chocolate brown with a light brown head. Light carbonation that will disappear after a half hour or so, if you're taking your time.

Nose is boozy and sweet, and it's potent enough to tickle the nasal passages a bit.

The flavor is boozy, as expected. Obvious bourbon flavor. I love bourbon, so while I'm predisposed to enjoy this beer, I'm also hyper-critical. But this brew delivers characteristic bourbon sweetness, and a nice, warm, pleasant booziness. The lack of carbonation is actually necessary here, as too much carbonation would have excessively sharpened up the flavor. If you let this warm over an hour-plus, the bubbles run dry, and the brew resembles a bourbon-chocolate wine, if you can envision such a thing. Awesomeness all around.

Mouthfeel is great, especially because the carbonation is held in check. Perfect density.

Drinkability is great, as long as you take it slow. This is a superb dessert brew, and a bomber of it is a good sharing size. I will revisit often.

stonermouse, Jan 18, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -10.9%

I must say I do not appreciate this beer fresh but with a year or two in the cellar it is divine

Big aroma of bourbon initially with some charred malt in the background.

Color is black with only a small thin beige head.

Mouthfeel is delicate and smooth with a warming alcohol sensation. Finishes a bit dry.

Flavor is outstanding, roasted malts, chocolate, charred smoky wood and whiskey. Has a distinct sweet syrupy bitter finish.

I would be happy with an 8oz pour and thats it for the night.

tobin, Jan 17, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Reviewed a three year vertical 2008-2010 on New Year's Eve
Reviewed cold then warmed to room temp over a couple of hours

2008
A - Poured a very dark brew, nice tan lacing ring. Can't see the carbonation

S - Bourbon and dark roasted malts, vanilla notes. Hops not found here

T/M - Bourbon and vanilla sweetness but not over powering in the vanilla department. Still pretty hot but did smooth over

D - If you can find 2008 I highly recommend this brew if you're able to score 2008

2009
A - Poured a very dark brew still. Nice tan lacing ring can see tiny bubbles on the lacing so there are signs of carbonation

S - Bourbon, roasted malts with vanilla

T /M - Full bodied and crisp but smoothed quicker than the 2008 did. Still on the hot side from the Alcohol

D - Very drinkable. Still found in MN so get it while you can. I recommend this brew!

2010
A - Poured a dark brew. Slight lacing ring with the carbonation bubbles present

S - Bourbon, heat from the alcohol almost burned my nose hairs! I can't imagine any hops surviving in this brew!

T/M - Mouth caught on fire. Very hot brew! Dark roasted malts, seemed sweeter of course for being fresher with vanilla

D - Of course the family of Bourbon county have produced some excellent of spring. This one is no exception. It was a little too for me but I have a couple of 12ozer's left so I will be hanging on to those for a while.

Overall the brews were great. I highly recommend trying any vintage. Minnesota has a lot of 2009 lucky to find a couple of 2008's but had a friend bring me back the 2010 from Chicago!! Enjoyed the brews and I will for sure enjoy them again!! I did think that the 2009 was lighter than the 2008 but not by much. It took me over two hours to review these three. Glad I didn't go anywhere!!

FreshmanPour77, Jan 17, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -6.6%

vintage 2008

pours jet black with like no head what so ever. quite thick overall. my only beef is the lack of carbonation.

very rich. lots of vanilla and oak up front. light molasses and chocolate. hints of booze

very rich through out. tons of vanilla up front. followed by a thick complex mix of chocolate and molasses. hints of bourbon and oak.

very thick, basically chewy. the alcohol is hidden well with only a slight bit of heat. very warming.

this has aged well, id imagine it has a few more years on it. i dig the 12oz size.

hooliganlife, Jan 17, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -10.9%

2009 bottle opened at a recent bourbon county tasting

pours pitch black with a nice brown head

this beer has the strongest bourbon smell out of the lineup, and the bourbon is the upfront smell along with some alcohol

the taste follows the smell very closely with the bourbon flavor coming through in the beginning, followed by the alcohol heat which is also most apparent in this one when compared to the coffee vanilla and rare

the mouthfeel is still very smooth and heavy and drinkability is good

rowingbrewer, Jan 16, 2011
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.