Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,156
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +4.6%

2012 vintage poured into a Sam Adams tulip.

A: Pours a deep, pitch black with a finger of tan head, which dissipates quickly, leaving minimaly lacing on the glass.

S: Light bourbon notes, vanilla, caramel with hints of oak and roasted malt. For a barrel aged beer, the nose is excellently balanced and not overpowering.

T: Roasted malt, dark baker's chocolate, with a smooth bourbon finish. Further sips yield more oak, caramel and vanilla with hints of black licorice. The bourbon is in perfect harmony with the base beer and the barrel aging has resulted in a 15% ABV beer that has almost no alcohol heat.

M: Smooth, thick and creamy. Nicely carbonated and very little alcohol burn.

O: This is a classic for a reason. Buy it. Drink it. Enjoy it. One of the best barrel aged beers available hands down. If you like flavorful beers, you will absolutely love this beer.

4.5/5  rDev -2%

This is, in my opinion, the king of bourbon barrel-aged beers. It's particular qualities are the qualities I search for in a high quality craft beer. It is delicious, it's got a kick to it (let's face it, would you drink beer if it was alcohol-free?), and it is worth every steeply approximated penny.

Appearance - Black, oily, thick. Just by looking at it while it pours and settles into the glass, you know this beer means business.

Smell - A combination of dark fruits, molasses and a hint of vanilla and bourbon.

Mouthfeel - Never really understood the importance of mouthfeel when it comes to a good beer, but it is thick and smooth and without carbonation.

Taste - Now this is where this beer in my opinion shines. If you let it roll around your taste buds for a moment, there is real chemistry between the back of your tongue and the beer. There is chocolate, bourbon, dark fruits, molasses and a complex concoction leading to a firework's celebration of flavor. Like everything else about this beer, it mean's business.

My opinion? Best beer I've ever had. My favorite among them all. There are other great ones, but this out does them all no question to it. KBS and Parabola are up there too on my list of comparable favorites, but they are too subtle about what makes them good. You really need to dig deep with those beer's to describe how great they are. With BCBS, it flat out screams it at you and your tastebuds and provides a strong buzz to boot.

4.6/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

8/23/2012 bottling had on 10/14/12. Served barely cool in a tulip.
8/23/2012 bottling had on 05/01/13. Served barely cool in a tulip.
Scores a combination of both.

A - 4.25 - Thick, viscous black. Not even a flashlight will put a dent in it. Brown fizzy proto-head that dissipates almost immediately. A nice enduring head would score better.

S - 4.75 - Strong chocolate fudge, wood, and the malty sweet smell of a sweet-glazed breakfast cereal like the Sugar Smacks of old. Hint of coffee with agitation. Initially sort of winey, but after agitation, some bourbon. Smells great. Smells mature and composed. 2013 tasting - Chocolate. Caramel. Something like malty chocolate graham cracker pie crust. A little vanilla. Bourbon. Wood. Fantastic.

T - 4.5 - Nice bourbon and wood. Creamy smooth chocolate and even some caramel. I had heard it was a boozy mess when young but it's coming across pretty smooth and well integrated to me. Lots of people are mentioning dark fruits, but I'm not able to isolate those myself. There's barrel wood and bourbon on the exhale, with some char as a lingering aftertaste. 2013 tasting - Chocolate pudding. Faint cherry. A bit of bourbon. Wood less evident than last year. Not getting any coffee this time and the char is very subdued. Malty chocolate booze exhale. Cherry brownie aftertaste. Fantastic.

M - 5.0 - Thickest I've had and a pleasure in the mouth. Pudding-like. You wouldn't think it could get this thick. Super velvety and smooth. 2013 tasting - Heavy puddinglike body. Ends a bit sticky. Fantastic.

O - 4.5 - It's a lot smoother and subtler than I expected and not as complex on the palate as I was expecting. I've come to expect a bit more char out of my imperials. I would almost say it is very well balanced at the expense of complexity - everything comes together so well that it's harder to perceive the different layers. It's pretty easy drinking in terms of not being so intense that it makes you put the brakes on, but it does pack a nice wallop on the buzz front. Very nice. 2013 tasting - Fantastic. Even better than when I had it closer to fresh. Such rich brownie chocolate offset by enough booze to stand up to it, with a touch of cherry something, all in a malty baked goods environment. Manages to be subtle and balanced while being so rich. Fantastic.

4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

Stouts are not my 'normal go to beers' but I do really enjoy stuff aged in barrels and there was so much hype I went to get some. I'm glad I did. What and experience!

A - Midnight black, dark tan head disperses quickly and leaves rim around the edge of the glass (red wine glass in my case).

S - The smell is amazing, smells like your head is in the oak barrel with all the great aromas swirling around you. For me the oak and bourbon overshadowed everything else, but I get some sweet wifs here and there.

T - The taste is intense, with woody fruits and a hint of vanilla, I get some dark coffee and roasted malts towards the end, a little bit of an edge and then a bourbon taste lingers.

M - Thick, and heavy on the tongue, the slight carbonation lingers.

O - Glad I tried it, it's an amazing beer, the aroma is amazing. It's a beer I'll get out of the cellar on special occasions, it is that good!

4.4/5  rDev -4.1%

Served in snifter.

Appearance: Pours dark and sets really f'n dark. Looks good but lacks head. Dark tan, maybe 1/4" off the body.

Smell: Light vanilla notes with a heavy scotch feel. The aroma is outstanding but still light.

Taste: I am loving this brew, it is incredibly smoth and so tasty,. Lightly bitter heavy in the alscohol taste but smooth. Little sweet offset with the obvious bitterness. Heavy molasses feel but it won't scare you.

Mouth: Smooth, sticking...I have had other bourbon aged stouts as far as after-taste, texture and how easy to drink this one tops them all.

Overall: This beer is a gem, pricey as hell but you would definitely pay more at a bar for worse. At roughly 25 bucks a four pack it is a steal. I am personally not crazing over bourbon stouts but this one is a beast. Salud!

4.67/5  rDev +1.7%

My first ever BCBS. I'm very excited, but somewhat concerned that it might not live up to the intense hype.

2012 vintage. Bottled 9/26/12

I let it sit for about 15 minutes at room temperature before opening. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my CBS snifter.

Appearance: Thick, black, dark and dense. The beer looks like a cup of bold coffee with a finger of light brown head. The head quickly dissipated but left a thin ring around the edge of the glass. A very decadent looking pour.

Smell: Loads of dark pitted fruits at first as well as an ample amount of dark chocolate, charred oak, bourbony vanilla, roasted malts and a little smoke. Obviously, there's a lot going on here. Every time I sniffed the beer I picked up a different aroma.

Taste: Wow. Starts off again with some sweet, dark fruit and then woody vanilla and burnt molasses. The end of the sip is just lousy (in a good way) with the taste of bourbon, vanilla and the bourbon barrel. Really a very well balanced tasting bourbon barrel aged beer particularly for one that's so green. It doesn't drink particularly hot, but yet still gives you that warm feeling that a spot of bourbon on a cool night gives you.

Mouthfeel: Thick, oily and unctuous. For a beer clocking in at 14.5%, I'm not getting much in terms of booziness which is much appreciated. One of the best stouts I've encountered in terms of mouthfeel.

Overall: An outstanding beer and certainly worthy of the hype and its $24 per 4-pack price. I'm going to cellar the remaining three and see how this develops over the years.

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%

Circa 2008 poured from a 12oz bottle into a Central Waters snifter.

A: Black syrupy death. Aggressive pour leads to a thin 1 finger cocoa foam colored head that slowly fades leaving a thin ring around the outside. No lacing to speak of.

S: Monster bourbon notes and the hotness of the abv are most prevalent. Other aromas include raisins, figs, molasses and general malt sweetness.

T: Unreal mix of bourbon, cocoa, sweet malts, dark fruits, and coffee. This beer is so smooth and so completely well balanced, it's really amazing.

M: HUGE body, big feel, low carbonation but it really helps the flavors completely coat my entire mouth letting it bask in the glory that is BCBS.

O: An absolute masterpiece of a beer. The 2008 is drinking so well right now that I think I'll try to keep the other vintages I have for at least 4 years. Beautiful.

4.25/5  rDev -7.4%

4.5/5  rDev -2%

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.