Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,012
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev -3.5%

2009 release poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a short brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains bourbon, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee and a touch of alcohol.

T: The taste starts out with a very thick roasted malt character and a strong flavor of chocolate. Then the taste of bourbon barrel aging asserts itself along with a mild alcohol sting. There are background flavors of coffee and dark fruit. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Very smooth and a little crisp but extremely viscous, as heavy body as I've ever experienced in a beer, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, slightly filling, very strong kick, excellent representation of style, this is a very good big stout worth drinking for as long as you can handle it.

TheManiacalOne, Jan 11, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +5.7%

I really like this beer. Once you pop one of these open you can already smell the goodness that is about to be poured out. The aging in the bourbon barrels really gives this beer some character most beers will never have. The first sip is nice and light you can feel this beer coat your mouth. My nose lit up once the first sip was swallowed as the beer is pretty fragrant. There is a recommendation that you drink this beer from a snifter in order to fully appreciate the bouquet of smells and I agree.

The color is nice and dark, think motor oil. I did not get a lot of head from the pour. The little head that did form was a nice cream color that died away quite quickly leaving you with this dark abyss. The bourbon really comes though in the taste. You really do not start to appreciate this beer until after you swallow. That same fragrant bouquet you smell in you glass will linger on in your mouth and thats when you can really pick up the bourbon taste. The beer that this one reminds me of is any of the Ola Dubh special reserve series.

I have had this a few times now. The first time I had it I had to convince the owner of the liquor store to sell me one. See during this time they were very hard to find and he had a tiny select batch he was aging for himself and other customers. I finally talked him into selling me one, at a premium, and enjoyed every sip. Now you can get these in 12oz four packs. My initial purchase was a 22oz. My local liquor stores that I frequent seem to be keeping this brand in stock. The running price for this four pack is $20 here in San Diego. I recommended anyone that loves dark beers and can handle the nice taste of bourbon to try this beer out. I am pretty sure you will enjoy it.

broken22, Jan 10, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Poured into my Snifter, this brew pours a black as the Gulf oil spill with a brown head that vanishes as fast as it rose. With some time spent in a barrel, and an ABV of 13% I'm not surprised by the lack of head.

S: The aroma is pure Kentucky Bourbon. The aroma is backed with notes of chocolate and roast, but the Bourbon is so strong and tasty smelling it is literally clearing up my sinuses.

T: The flavor really is a notch above the aroma. I would put it at a 4.8 if I could. The Bourbon is first and foremost present up front and in the rear, but there is a heavy chocolate malt body to this that makes this stout really scrumptious. Notes of caramel and a little coffee are present.

MF: The mouthfeel is just a little too light bodied, which happens in almost every Bourbon barrel aged beer I've had.

D: Drinkability at 13% is almost unprecedented.

Overall, it's like Goose Island took a very very good chocolate stout, and infused a perfect shot of Bourbon in it. Bourbon lovers be ware because GI is king of the Barrels!

TKEbeerman, Jan 09, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance- pours very dark but not pitch black. A bit of head but not much.

Smell- smells great. Bourbony and malty. Smells strong but not too bad.

Taste- very sweet and smooth. A lot of bourbon on the tongue with a bit of biosphere.

Mouthfeel- coats the glass as you drink. Thick and very nice on the tongue

Drinkability- at 13 percent still very drinkable!

Urbancaver, Jan 09, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -13.9%

Reviewed from notes 12/5/2010

A: hits the nose hard and fast with the boozey alcohol scent. Hidden somewhere in there, are the vanilla and caramel, but hard to decipher. It's hard to get past the boozey smell!

Ap: pitch black with a small tan head. The head dissipated quickly. This beer is the darkest, most dense I've ever seen! Very tiny bubbles penetrate their way to the top through this thick beer.

B/T: very mild carbonation. The texture is thick, like an elixir. Looking back, would have been better served in a snifter glass, than a pint glass, to appreciate the full-bodiness of it.

Af: lingers on teh tongue, boozey taste is predominant, but you do get some flavors from it. Slight vanilla and thick caramel, almost similar to a molasses.

O: knock your socks off, don't plan on doing anything, and take it slow with this one.

Cheers!
The CPJ

THECPJ, Jan 08, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -10.7%

Got this from a friend at work. Poured into a snifter. Pours an opague black with a thin but strong hold of a brown heading. The heading slowly disappears to a thin edging around the glass. No lacing to speak and kind of flat about a quarter of the way down.

Bourbon was the first thing to hit the nasal passages as soon as the cap was popped.A strong oak aroma with a slight smokey maltiness that peaks it's head through.

As soon as this touches the tongue it numbs it with a bourbon blast.Coats the entire palate and sends a warm tingle to the back of the tongue and into the stomach. A subtle chocolate-oak combination is apparent about mid way through with a slight sting of a bitter hop bite,but is no match for the overwhelming,warming bourbon.

A full bodied beverage with as much carbonation a beer could have with this much bourbon in it. Kind of flat but still very tasty.

This is the definetion of a "sipping" beer. I mean my god man I wanted a nice stout with a touch of bourbon and what I got was an all out assault of bourbon. The 13% ABV is not hidden and is in full force but is still not overdone and stays very tasty without being a chore.

Re-tasted 12/3/2013.
My how the palate changes over the years. 2013 version is a bit heavier at 15% ABV now. A little less of a bourbon assault then I remember, a much smoother velvety texture and cleaner finish.

TheFightfan1, Jan 08, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Re reviewing this beer after having had it many times now. There isn't anything that I'm going to say that hasn't been said in previous reviews.... but:

09 BCS pours a thick, dark stout with a diminishing head. Smell is huge bourbon, roasty, chocolate, a little coffee, malty, and awesome. Taste is very full, bourbon, chocolate malt, vanilla, oak, roast, some sweetness, but finishes with suble bitterness. Mouthfeel is thick and coating. Drinkability suffers a little, but it just tastes that good you will keep drinking until its gone... no matter how long it takes.

khumbard, Jan 08, 2011

2010 vintage; thanks to Michael (SneezyAchew) for this bottle.

A: Pours like motor oil; thick and black. Creamy, brown head is short (less than 1/2 a finger) but resilient. Beautiful reddish tinge around the edge of the glass where light can actually pass through.

S: A huge chocolate cake smell is the first thing I notice, followed almost immediately by a wave of ethanol. Not an undesireable alcohol smell- this is smoky, oaky bourbon. Sweet roasted malts present as well.

T: Building on smell, the rich, dark chocolate and bourbon flavors are standouts here. Not as much coffee as I would have liked (I guess that's what the considerably rarer coffee version is for). It's hard to believe a flavor this rich is coming from beer, or any non-spirit liquid for that matter; this seems much more like a meal or dessert. Long bittersweet, bourbony finish tops things off.

M: Thick and syrupy, with almost no carbonation. Probably the most viscous stout I've tried. Alcohol warms the throat and mouth, but just by a bit and not enough to be unpleasant.

D: The alcohol, sweetness, and richness in this one definitely make it a sipper. Very enjoyable for a glass, but not really a beer to drink all night (even if you could).

AwYeh, Jan 07, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -0.9%

Wow, just, wow. Amazing beer.

Pure black with a reddish brown head.

Very strong bourbon and oak in the smell smell, with a little coffee and chocolate.

So sweet and rich, with bourbon highlights.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy. Not particularly carbonated, but so slick and velvety and smooth. Drinkability is my only complaint. While I can drink it easily, many could not.

Overall, a magnificent beer. One of the best. World Class stout.

sacrelicio, Jan 05, 2011

All you heads out there check this story out. So its a day ago and Im pretty down on my luck about a lot of stuff, so I decide to take a walk to clear it out a bit. I was craving a Lucky Bastard and walked to the liquor store. They sometimes have some cool beers unbelievably. Anyways, I get there and start talking to the guy who owns the place. Im a patron there so...I digress. He hears what is going down with me and I ask him if he has any Lucky left. He says no, but I have this beer that I cant sell because its a bit too pricey for my clientele. Ok well what is it? Bourbon County Brand Stout....2008! He sells it to me AT COST! 2 CASES!!!! I walk out of there, and it took me an hour to lug it back home lol spending less than 40 bucks! WOW! THANKS TO THE POWERS THAT BE! Now I know it wont get me out of my perdicament but it sure does help ease the pain. Hey I mad a chocolate cake with 2 bottles in the batter and filled it with a cream filling....I sure wish you guys were here!

A: DARK! It looks like used 5 weight

S: roasty and semi sweet, like very dark chocolate; somewhat oaky but subtle.

T: oh how I love that roasted chocolate taste; coffee like and that hint of anise is what makes it pop on the palate!

M: so silky smooth on the front end but that oak-bourbon influence is defintely what bites you backside. Reminds me less of a bourbon and more of a great Cabernet from Cali.

D: It was gone before I wanted it to be. Nuff said, But hey I have plenty!

I drank it out of a snifter and it opened up like a flower in bloom. Enjoy yours dudes!

skull6969, Jan 04, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +5.7%

2010 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

A: Pours pitch black with a think reddish brown head.

S: Strong bourbon smell with chocolate and smoke.

T: Very smooth with a bourbon bite. Delicious!

M: Thick and creamy. Nice lite carbonation.

D: This is incredibly smooth and easy to drink. This got better and better as it warmed. One of my favorites.

stbo101, Jan 03, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

I first tried this beer on draft at the Clark brewpub when I lived in Chicago in 2007. At the time, I wasn't a big stout fan (that's changed :)) and, although I considered myself a budding beer geek, I really didn't know what I was doing. So when I tried this straight from the tap, I remember enjoying the flavors somewhat but being physically incapable of downing more than a sip or two due to its extreme ABV. Then again, maybe it's just too hot without any age on it. I'll find out again someday.

Anyway, tonight's bottle is from August 2005.

A: jet black and completely opaque with minimal tan head. Strong, sticky lace.

S: Booze. Roasted malt, caramel, smokey oak, sweet aged booze. Awesome.

T: deliciously roasty. Aged boozy malts. Chocolate, oaky goodness, more malt, plenty of alcoholic warmth. Still a touch hot, but much improved over the last batch I tried. The age on this bottle is obvious here and really adds great character to the beer. Quite good overall.

M/D: full-bodied, oily, low carbonation. A pleasant sipper. Much more alcoholic warmth when cold -- this is a brew that really opens up as it sits. This is a must drink for stout-heads. Can't wait to try the vanilla version!

brystmar, Jan 02, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -6.3%

'05 bottle poured into a pint glass. Nearly pitch black, tiny ring of brown foam around the edges. Reddish hue in strong light. Oily, almost syrupy when swirled.

S - chocolate malt, oaky vanilla, char

T - all of the above plus a little extra sweetness (toasted caramel, we'll say), and a smooth, rounded, boozy quality that really shines in a well aged ale.

M - slick, thick body; coats everything yet slides down effortlessly. Only thing keeping it from perfection is a creamy quality. (Don't want oatmeal in this recipe, much as I like it elsewhere...nitro-tap would be the way to go.)

D - very tasty, surprisingly smooth for a huge stout. I had this on-tap at the Wrigleyville brewpub in 2007, where I found it far too hot, masking what turns out to be rather nice qualities underneath. Definitely worth the wait.

Richardberg, Jan 02, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -4.6%

Really nothing but good things to say. BCBS 2010 pours with loud fizzy noises. Looks greath with a finger of deep brownish red head atop a thick black oily inky body. Your olfactory glands are slammed with aromas of vanilla, wet white oak, licorice, bourbon, and heavily roasted malts. Your tongue experiances sweet, and dense malts, backed up by waves of vanilla, chocolate, oaky sweetness, light coffee, and toffee notes and faint, very faint hop balance. Slick = mouthfeel. It's a sipper, and a damn good one. Just a bit hot, but it is a 2010.

pmlondrigan, Jan 02, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +1.3%

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a deep black color thet is entirely opaque, pours with a slight amount of light brown head that is quite frothy and dissipates quickly

S: very nice chocolate notes, strong alcohol scent, slight coffee scent, whiskey is absolutely present

T: slight chocolate notes, deep malt notes, very nice whiskey presence, alcohol tinge

D/M:when I finally let it warm up a bit it drank much smoother, slight alcohol presence, whiskey was warming and not overwhelming, smooth drinking

BigPlay1824, Jan 02, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +0.9%

22 oz bootel poured into my lost abbey stemware glaas ,botteld oktober 2009

Strong molasses roasted malt aroma with strong bourbon notes. Dark black syrupy with minimal chocolate brown head. Big flavor. Thick and syrupy. Sweet roasted coffee. Vanilla and carmel are present. Strong alcoholic presence is not overly evident. Bitterness is mild. Palate is thick and syrupy. Very good overall although I am biased towards this kind of beer. Seems like you could pour it on ice Cream
Awesome stout !!!

beerpirates, Jan 01, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into the glass like a thin, dark brown syrup. Almost no head, but what little there was appeared copper colored and quickly vanished. I get no lacing only some legs that slowly walk down the glass.

From the moment the bottle opened the 13% alcohol tickled the nose and invited a closer smell. Oak, vanilla and alcohol mix together in a wonderful bouquet, very similar to the smell of Sam Adams Triple Bock.

The taste is dead on with the smell, with the alcohol taste fading first, then the caramel and vanilla slipping away leaving a clean, sweet woodsy taste on the tongue.

At more than 2x the strength (and the thickness) of an average stout, this beer will stay in my fridge for those few cold winter nights when I need more than a blanket and a cuddly dog to keep me warm. It is a treat and, at about $5 a bottle in Massachusetts, a great substitute for a trip down to the local pub for a premium brew.

One word of caution - it might be too good for just one bottle. I'm glad it comes in 4 packs!

wesleyhighley, Dec 31, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +5.2%

From a bottle dated 10/10/09, and stored in my fridge for a year.

A: Not the most impressive looking of beers- dark black yes, however little head and rather flat looking. That was the only downside I could find.

S: Nice aromas of vanilla, oak, bourbon and caramel.

T: Wow. This really surpassed my expectations. Incredible balance of malty, caramel goodness, with vanilla, oak, bourbon, raisins to round out the flavors. I could imagine this with a scoop of praline ice cream for a fabulous beer float. I think the flavors even surpass Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

M: Liquid velvet. The alcohol is so hidden you would never know it is there, other than the nice warming it provides to the beer. The beer is so smooth and soft on the palate that I could sip on a glass all evening and not tire of it.

D: This is likely the best bourbon barrel aged stout I've ever had, including KBS which is also pretty darn good. But the beer excels in the overall sophistication of the flavors...perhaps this is due to the aging? I've never kept a KBS around long enough to know how that would taste after a year.

But suffice it to say that the next time I see this beer, I will pick up a bottle or two. Highly recommended.

doppelmeup, Dec 30, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Jet black with small red colored head. No lacing.

S: sweet anise and dark fruit. Booze, vanilla, and rye bourbon smell. The smell is very unique and none of the individual parts overshadow the sum of the whole.

T: Vanilla sweetness. Boozy bourbon spice. Absolutely fabulous. Again not overly complex but the flavors that I am getting are all very pronounced and you can truely pick out each one with every sip.

M: Big time beer that coates teh mouth in a sweet goodness. Thick and rich wit the booze heating up the gums and cheeks.

D: AMAZING!

rrski198, Dec 29, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -9.6%

2009 Vintage.
Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Jet black with ruby edges and a tan ring.
S: Heavy bourbon with a very slight hint of vanilla.
T: Big bourbon flavor with a little bit of roasted chocolate on the finish.
M: Full body, medium carbonation, awfully rough finish with a heavy alcoholic burn.
D: This is a sipper for sure, the alcoholic burn is very noticeable. It is a chore to split this bottle two ways (I can't imagine drinking a full bottle alone).

Note: tasted against Vanilla BCBS.

stimulus, Dec 29, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -9.6%

Bought this a while back and I've been holding onto it waiting to crack. Now was the time.

*2009 Vintage: Bottled 12/18/09*

A - Pours a dark, dark brown almost black. There was a fizzy head at first while pouring but it immediately dissappeared and left a dark brown halo along the stout.

S - Dark fruits big time along with a delicious earthy, woody bourbon aroma. Very pleasant smell with a nice strong alcohol kick.

T - Like the nose there is some solid dark fruits abd a delicious bourbon taste. Theres some big, big burnt wood and carmel tastes to match. Theres a huge alcohol punch with this though.

M - Great mouthfeel, not too syrupy with this just a light, light carbonation with this.

D - Really solid stout here. I think this could definately stand some more age though to let that 13% mellow out. I have one more bottle of this and will try it again in 2012.

rudzud, Dec 28, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz bottle into a Tulip Glass

A- Pours pure black no light going through with absolutely no head, barely a dark brown ring around the glass. Poured aggressive too. Insane alcohol feet when you swirl it, they stick around for a while.

S- Really strong sweet vanilla and oak from the barrels that blend nicely with intense bourbon and boozy note behind it. Not really getting anything else which is strange for this style. No coffee or chocolate just a slight hint of roasted malts.

T- Super thick and creamy dark roasted malts with a really nice sweet vanilla and oak flavor to follow. In the after taste you get a decent coffee/milk chocolate flavor that was very surprising. And to finish it off is a huge booze and alcohol flavor and fullness that only intensifies as it warms.

M- Absolutely nuts! So thick and creamy like drinking maple syrup. For being so fresh there is barely any carbonation in this one and a surprisingly wet finish.

SkÅL!

Arenbeer, Dec 28, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -15%

9/24/10 bottle#2206
12oz
poured into a tulip

A: Viscous and black, Thick and syrupy small tan head

S: Fantastic... Boozy vanilla and oaky sweetness, its actually warming in the nostrils, fairly overpowering after that... Whisky notes are very pronounced

T: Kind of a hot mess... in the best way. Boozy... Heavily boozy... Black Tuesday is 5% heavier, but no way as hot. But, I like it. It's warming and almost like maple syrup. Powerful and Bold. This sets itself apart the way Barrel Aged Stouts should be . They are in a class by themselves.

M: HEAVY, Thick like Robatussin is, oily and viscous as any bold stout should be.

D: I won't be drinking it by the caseful, Hardly could afford the bottle to be quite honest. But , it is delicious as it gets

OVERALL: I dont know if it lives up to the hype.. I was expecting euphoria and paradise in a glass... but in mortal terms the beer surpasses expectation. I actually think I'm getting more intoxicated just smelling it. The nose is always there. encouraging the next sip

BrlyHpsWtrYst, Dec 27, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -10%

review from notes on 6/10/10
poured from bottle into goblet.

a. rich dark dark dark black/brown. Not too thick, not too thin. looks delicious with chocolate brown head.

s. the smell is great with oak, chocolate and a bit of coffee coming through. it smells boozy too, in a good enticing way.

t. chocolate, oak, booziness are all strong, coffee in the back and aftertaste combines nicely with lingering oak and bitter booze. the booziness is a little too strong in the taste, but the other flavors are still present.

m. rich as it should be. the thickness is cut by the booziness and oak taste, to make it feel thinner.

d. slow and steady with this monster. but rich and enjoyable, if not a bit too much at times.

brendanbeer, Dec 26, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

2009

A- Opaque deep black-brown color with a brown head, no lacing.

S- Aroma of prunes, figs, and black licorice.

T- Volatile ethanol simply overpowers and dominates the palate, throat and olfactory here. A lasting burn persists all the way down. Otherwise, black licorice, cafe´ au lait, and sweet chocolate covered raisins are evident. The hot finish is mostly of bourbon notes.

M, D- Besides the dominant ABV, this is smooth, sweet, and velvety. The big alcohol moderates (at least my) drinking pace.

WhiteOak, Dec 25, 2010
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.