Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 1,998
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -10.7%

Have had a couple bombers of this in the past, looking forward to the more manageable 12oz which for some reason is hard for me to find. Warmed this up to closer to room temperature before pouring into a tulip. Bottled in October 2009, Drank in October 2010.

L: 4.0 Motor oil? More like crude. Some light head, a little more than expected for the style and ABV.

S: 4.0 Unique - sweet bourbon, molasses, roastedness, brewers licorice? Overall very sweet. Maybe too sweet for me, but somehow alluring.

T: 4.5 Sweet, even in the aftertaste. More complex than the aroma. Candi sugar and bourbon.

M: 4.0 Great heavier mouthfeel. Some alcohol but not really "hot" like I have had in some others. Carbonation is a little light but helps out

D: 4.5 Slow sipper, somewhat unrelenting, a little sweet, but good for the ABV. I have no problem making this one last.

A year has really helped the BCS. Still a little too sweet, otherwise a near perfect beer.

---

Fresh 2011 batch review. Hit shelves here less than a month ago, been in cellar since. Bottled on 11/11/11, followed by number 1655.

L: 3.5 Heavy pour, dark brown bubbles are larger than average and fail to form a head; looked more like pouring a soda.

S: 3.5 Somewhat strong bourbon profile, moderate roast.

T: 4.5 Good stout base, the bourbon kicks it up a notch. Definite hints of vanilla, all pretty well melded together.

M: 4.0 Moderately heavy for a big beer, but still expect more body with the ABV. Alcohol heat is a little high on the tongue.

O: 4.0 Heat is a bit much along with the sweetness, and obscures any depth it might have.

zachary80, Dec 11, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +8.3%

To start I can't belive im getting to try this. Had at blind tiger nyc.
arrived in a snift/tulip. With a thin dark brown head. Body is black.
Smell is strong bourbon and sweet malt. Amazing toffee/caramel taste is very similar and lingers a long time. Very sweet malt that sticks around but isn't too sweet. Almost reminds me me of an oatmeal/milk stout.
This is creepily drinkable and yet also sippable. Alcohol is noticeable taste wise but not smell. Overall best bourbon stout I've had in a long while

rootbeerman, Dec 11, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

100th review on BA
Bottle to goblet
650 ML 2009 bottle

App- What a big, black dark pour with a nice finger head that was a dark brown and very bubbly. No lacing on this one.

Smell- I take a big whiff and get a smell of aged bourbon which has calmed down over a year in the cellar. You get three main smells in this, the boozy bourbon, chocolate and espresso and some malts.

Taste- Wow so smooth and complex. Its a big drinking stout and it lets you know it but doesnt go for the throat. The front you get some or most of the main flavors but when you swallow you come away with the bourbon flavors.

Mouth- Full bodied with a well balanced profile. No carbonation so the thickness of the beer and the flavors really allow you to savor it.

Drink- I can only do one of these bad boys and I am okay with that. I highly rec. this stout to anyone to give it a whirl. Awesome beer.

FosterJM, Dec 10, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz bottle, 2008 vintage. Drank from big Founders snifter. The beer poured black as sin, with a faint sliver of a cola-colored head. There were deep, dark ruby highlights near the outer edge/surface after the head faded. The aroma was unmistakable, noticeable from across the table (confirmed by my wife). Upon getting my nose in the glass, I was greeted with an orgy of scents. Bourbon and oak of course, but vanilla, roasted malt, sweet sugars, dark fruits and booze.

The flavor didn't disappoint. Two years in the bottle hasn't diminished the chocolate, dark fruits, coffee, vanilla and general roasty flavor in this beer. The bourbon flavor isn't at all overwhelming, and the age has mellowed the burn from the alcohol quite a bit. This beer really coats the inside of your mouth as you drink it, in a very pleasant way. The carbonation is noticeable, but well balanced; it renders it creamy-feeling.

surlytheduff, Dec 10, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle shared with a friend in pint glass. Vintage 2007.

The BCS pours a deep black color with a small ebony head that quickly fades. The smell of this is extremely strong. Lots of strong coffee, bourbon, malts, and burnt aromas are noted. An amazing smelling beer. Taste is quite smooth. This beer ages unbelievably in my opinion. Still plenty of bourbon flavors but the alcohol has really mellowed out for how high the abv is. Mouthfeel is thick like oil. Drinkability is solid. Huge abv but this one is reserved for special occasions.

abrand, Dec 08, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: This is among the thickest looking stouts on the pour that I have tried. There is a slight amount of dark tan head that forms during the pour, but it quickly reduces down to almost nothing. This beer looks pretty good from a thickness standpoint, but the lack of retention and lacing is disappointing.

Smell: As soon as I start pouring I can smell hot bourbon wafting up. This is the 2010 version so that's not surprising. There is roasted malts, bitter chocolate and espresso coming up in waves, but it is all overlayed by that sweet boozy bourbon smell.

Taste: Roasted malts, chocolate and coffee up front. Lots of boozy bourbon on the back end. The roastiness and the booze stood out to me much more than anything else. I'm a fan of bourbon so I liked it, but I usually look for more balance than I found here.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Very full bodied, one of the heaviest bodied beers I've tried. There isn't a lot of carbonation and it leads to a slick mouthfeel that is pretty good. Could use a touch more carbonation. This is a 13% ABV beer and definitely a sipper, but it's a good one. I will be looking to age a few of these. Should be outstanding once it mellows a few years.

zhanson88, Dec 07, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours an inky black with some brown head on the top, and smells like bourbon, smoky wood, and caramel.

The taste is incredible, and the mouthfeel is so creamy and smooth, a bit syrupy but still hides the alcohol well given how much there is. It's bourbon, it's delicate fruits, it's vanilla and burnt caramel, it's smoky barley malts, it's a raw syrupy chocolate, it's a spicy coffee--it's an incredibly complex beer, to be savored with every sip. I am realizing right now that I don't actually love bourbon, so I can't give this a 5 personally, but damn if I don't recognize the craftsmanship and originality of this beer.

lstokes, Dec 07, 2010
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a stemmed Goose Island wide-mouth wine glass.

Dammit, I screwed up the pour - no head. It's hard to remember what the shape of my glass is. I've seen it before though, and its quite dark brown, kind of intimidating. The beer is, in fact kind of scary. It's just so dark...no light comes through it. Any light that goes near it is even sucked in. The surface, with a few clinging groups of bubbles has a very thick look to it. It looks like you could stand a chance of walking on it. This also might be the only beer I've seen with legs (as in wine).

The smell on this is big - including bourbon, raisins, alcohol chocolate, and wood notes, pretty much in that order.

I simply love the taste of this beer. I wish I could give it a 4.9. It's got the bourbon and booze, which are powerful, but its nicely balanced and smoothed out by a creamy sort of raisiny, chocolatey kind of woody toasted bread thing. It's complex and subtle. Can't wait to open another in a few years.

Mouthfeel is huge and smooth and creamy. Brilliant - again I'd like to give it a 4.9.

I could easily get carried away drinking this. But it's just a bit too strong to be very drinkable.

I really think this is a fantastic beer, and in some categories, I've only rated it below a five because it's not as good as Rum Barrel Aged Oil of Aphrodite which incinerated my socks off when I had it about a month ago. I think it's a fair fight, though.

ColdPoncho, Dec 07, 2010
4.73/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

I decided to re-review this beer upon having it on draft and in the bottle this weekend, after not having it for the better part of a year.

A: Deep black with a half inch of beige head that hangs out for several minutes, leaving some good lacing on the tulip glass. A much different and improved presentation from the bottled version.

S: Alcohol, roasted malt, bourbon. The aroma is huge and detectable from several feet away.

T: This is a big, rich beer, with a potent dose of bourbon, alcohol, and roasted malt. Wonderfully delicious chocolates also make up a large portion of the flavor. I find it to be very enjoyable and well done. The 13% abv is definitely evident in the nose and the taste, but the beer is so well crafted, the flavor doesn't come across as hot, just robust and powerful.

M: The carbonation level is spot on, which is another notable improvement over the bottled serving. The feel is sticky, sweet, viscous, and chewy with a rich roasted malt and alcohol finish that lingers for a good while between sips.

D: The sweetness and high octane nature of Bourbon County Stout make this a great choice for sipping on a cold winter night, which is exactly what I did. While this is a nice brew I enjoy on occasion, I am satisfied with a small serving.

Huhzubendah, Dec 06, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

EDIT: Just realized this is review #150 ... not planned, but an interesting brew for the milestone.

2009 vintage poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Duck-Rabbit snifter, 6 oz at a time. The beer pours inky black, as I'd expect, but there is absolutely no head ... a bit disappointing and reflected in my score for appearance. I wonder if the combination of aging and those stupid screw-top lids had anything to do with the low carbonation level, or if that is typical for BCBS.

The beer may not look impressive, but it sure makes up for it in the aroma! Super strong oaky vanilla notes dominate up front with a decent hint of bourbon and dark roasted grain in the background.

On first sip, dark chocolate, vanilla, and mild oak are obvious up front. There's a hint of dark fruit hiding back there ... maybe a plum/prune note? There's still a pretty obvious alcohol bite at the end ... maybe another year of aging would temper that?

Due to the low carbonation, this one slightly cloying, but not overwhelming. I'd like a bit more CO2 prickle on the tongue, but this is close. Overall, it's been a challenge to take it slow. I love whiskey and bourbon, so this beer keeps calling me back for another sip. However, I'll definitely have to share the bomber of 2009 I still have in the closet! Oh wifey dear...

ewright, Dec 06, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz bottle (2010 version) into a Duvel tulip. Here we go:

A - Dark as dark can be. Call it black, but it's darker than that. I've tried to get a head with a pretty aggressive pour - no chance. Just the slightest dark brown ring around the edge, but looking at the beer from the top, there's no head.

S - Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate - in that order

T - Oh, this is great. Bourbon and chocolate really dominate - hard to pick up on the alcohol. More sweet than bitter, but great balance.

M - Among the thickest beers I've tried. Borders on motor oil (in a good way)

D - I could get really carried away as it's easy to put down, much too easy for the abv.

This is one of my favorite brews, a staple in the winter. Who am I kidding, this is excellent any time.

in780, Dec 05, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle

A - black as tar, tan color head that dissipated rather quickly, no legs.

S - aromas of bread, sweetness, chocolate, and unmistakable hints of bourbon.

T - most of the smells translated into the taste, along with coffee and some spice notes. the heat of the ABV could definitely be felt in the back of the throat.

M - thick, rich, and syrupy like with little to no carbonation.

D - the mouthfeel I felt was the culprit of what could have been a great beer. the sweet syrupy mess would have been much helped with a little carbonation. with a few years of aging i figure this might be a bit more drinkable.

greygooose, Dec 05, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from 355mL bottle into 330mL St. Bernardus Chalice. Bottled on date of 10/15/2010

Appearance: Pours black with a minimal brown head that dissipates quickly yet leaves behind a ring of lace around the top of the beer.

Smell: Dark chocolate smell is the most prevalent, backed up by a certain degree of roastiness, dark fruits, and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Begins sweet, primarily tasting of chocolate, plum and maybe even some grape. Finishes with a lot more bittersweet chocolate and a roasted character, along with alcohol. As it warms, bourbon can be noticed throughout the beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick body with light carbonation and a sticky finish. The alcohol in this brerw is definitely noticeable- I felt a slight burn on my lips on the first sip, and chills run down my spine as soon as the beer touches my lips and there is a slight burn as it goes down. Despite this, the alcohol is not overpowering or unpleasant. Also, I am guessing this feeling has something to do with the bourbon barrels, as something similar happens to me when I drink whiskey.

Drinkability: A superb and very complex beer. The alcohol, though is such that this is a definite sipper. I could see this one being absolutely outstanding after some cellar time.

Mosstrooper, Dec 05, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -26.4%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: a deep black with a light layer of lacing at the top. Syrup like in movement.

Smell: Sweet chocolate malt and bourbon. No hop scent detectable.

Taste: Almost too many flavors to decipher. Chocolate malts, light coffee flavor, alcohol, vanilla, and coconut. I'm not even sure what I'm tasting half the time.

Drinkability: This is a nice beer, don't get me wrong, but it isn't very drinkable. The syrup like consistency and the scary high alcohol content make this brew a bit too much.

wmtxbb, Dec 04, 2010
4.66/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a 12oz 2009 bottle into a snifter.

A: Beautifully pitch black with a one finger mocha head that dissapates slowly.

S: Bourbon! Well, bourbon at first, then vanilla, oak, chocolate, coffee. Holy shit! I could write an entire review on the smell alone. But I should probably taste it...

T: Wow! Just wow. There is so much going on in this beer. I get the bourbon up front and the vanilla and coffee follow. You also get the bitter hops, the oak barrels, its incredibly multi-layered.

D: Well for a 13% beer its damn drinkable! Its a year old, so I'm sure its mellowed out a bit. You still get that strong alcohol flavor, but I hesitate to call it "heat". Whatever it is, its more pleasant than deterring.

Overall: World class is the only way to describe this beer. Its just super complex and tasty. Everything in this beer comes together smooth and perfect. This is just a beast of a beer and a true classic. Must try!

P.S. I've heard some BAs say that you actually dream about this beer after having it. I laughed when I read that, but I can honestly say that I have actually dreamed of drinking this beer. Fantastic brew!

JohnnyChicago, Dec 03, 2010
4.53/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured like a used motor oil into a standard pint glass.
No head to speak of, just a thin cap of sticky foam.
Smells like coffee and whiskey, beignets and jazz with a lot of powdered sugar.
Can i just sit here and inhale? The aroma is outstanding.
New Orleans, dank musty and mysterious, sweet cloying yet dangerously easy, the big easy....
Taste is a straight up bourbon on the rocks. with a chocolate candy on the side, the lady making eyes over the pool table is just a shill, ignore her, we have work to do.
Deeper down the sugar daddy makes his play.. pay up!
This one is smooth, should you fold? No, call till the last draw.
Sticks to the tongue like a bad karma debt. No use holdin out, I'm singing like a bird.
Probably one of the best Stouts on Earth.

mudbug, Dec 03, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle with a label of "2009" but the back of the label reads that it was bottled on 1/14/10.

Poured into a snifter this brew appears black in color. Around the edges there is barely any light shining through but what does break though displays a bit of brown clarity. A thin film of dark tan head appears and rapidly dissolves with audible fizzing. Very faint spotty lace clings to the glass with swirls that release carbonation but still fail to formulate a head.

The aroma of this brew is a pleasant blend of bourbon and vanilla. There are some woodsy suggestions of the oak aging process throughout the profile. The dark scent of the grain comes across with burnt notes lightly suggesting chocolate and coffee but these are quite subtle compared to the bold presence of bourbon and vanilla.

The taste of this brew is bold with a forceful kick of bourbon heat right upfront. The taste of the alcohol is somewhat solvent with a tangy bite partially influenced by some hops. The dark grain leaves a persistent bitterness like strong coffee and dark bitter chocolate that lingers in the mouth. The barrel aging influence is evident with some dry woodsy flavors that blend with the burnt grain aspect and turn to a more mellow vanilla smoothness that suggests dark caramel or toffee.

This is a full bodied brew that at times seems lighter just because of the sheer evaporative quality that this brew has inside your mouth. It is acceptably light in carbonation and is a mighty fine sipper on a cold night. This brew is a savage beast and I really like it. At 1 year old, it hasn't even touched a fraction of it's aging capacity and tastes strikingly similar to a 3 year old bottle I recently had. I know the label states that this brew can develop in the bottle for up to 5 years but lets be honest, that is a starting point for this brew.

stakem, Dec 03, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -15%

2010 Bottling. Pretty sure I tried this in the past, but I can't recall.

A -- Pours inky, oily, opaque black and yields a thin, dark brown head that settles to a rim around my Rodenbach snifter.

S -- Vanilla bourbon character in first whiff, cocoa and black cherries blending in the middle, peppery alcohol back.

T -- Hot alcohol up front that blends into the vanilla/bourbon character from the barrel aging. Some cocoa and dark fruit character in the middle and finishing with peppery alcohol.

M -- Mouthfeel is syrupy with a heavy body and warming alcohol that dries the palate.

D -- Drinkability is definitely good and enticing, but more than one of these in a sitting could be disastrous.

steveh, Dec 02, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +3.5%

Picked up in a nice bottle shop in Beacon Hill, Boston,MA. Pours oily black with a really nice head. Smell the bourbon right away and it was nicely present in the taste. This gem really began to shine as it warmed revealing an array of rich flavors and a nice bourbon warmth in the finish. Really enjoyed this brew and will certainly seek out in the future.

paulys55, Dec 02, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 10/15/10

A. Pours a dark black with a whisp of a dark chocolate foamy head. that recedes to nothing quickly.

S. Awesome. Bourbon, vanilla, oak, caramel, and a bit of dark fruit with fig most prominent.

T. Bourbon hits you immediately. The second and third tastes reveal more and more of the dark fruit character along with chocolate and some oak. Vanilla doesn't really make it into the taste - I'm excited to try my bottle of BCBVS soon. Some obvious alcohol heat on the tail.

M. Medium body with a medium to high level of carbonation. I initially find the carbonation to be too high, but as I work my way through the glass, it really helps to prevent palate fatigue.

D. Great for the end to a great day.

BeerAndBourbon, Dec 02, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -8.1%

I just decided to finally get around to reviewing this one. I've probably had it a dozen times so it's time to review it. 09 12oz bottle poured into DFH signature glass. I've had it on tap and from the bottle, but this review is for the bottle version.

A: Black looks a little thinner than some of the big stouts I've had. Little dark khaki head that goes away quickly. Just traces of it around the edge.

S: Lots of bourbon gives it some nice caramel and vanilla notes. I can't pick up much else through it but the big bourbon is one of the things I love most about this beer.

T: This one has gotten even better throughout the year and is drinking great right now. Still a surprising amount of bourbon heat at first, but it gives way to some wonderful flavors. Goes from vanilla to caramel, some hints of dark fruit followed by some rich dark chocolate. The heat is there at the end a little as well.

M: Thick and kind of smooth even though there is lots of carbonation.

D: It doesn't do much to hide the bourbon heat but is still incredibly drinkable to me. I wish I had more of these left.

BS68280, Dec 01, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -4.6%

2010 Batch. Reviewed on 11-30-2010

A: Poured into a Goose Island goblet. Black body with deep brown plum edges has about a finger of deep brown head with orange highlights. No lacing is evident but it does have legs which is nice.

S: The smell is fantastic! BIG Bourbon notes singe my nose hairs and make my eyes burn! Not a whole lot else is apparent other than some caramel that could very well be from the bourbon as well.

T: Chocolate, Bourbon, stone fruit, burnt sugar, and everything else that is found in great barrel aged stouts.

M: Viscous and thick. My tongue feels sluggish as it tries to move through this.

D: Its a big ass impy stout! What do you think the drinkability is! One bottle and time for bed. You might want to get a nap before trying this guy.

hopsbreath, Nov 30, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +1.3%

Pitch black with a non existent tan head.

Rich bourbon and oak right up front with hints of vanilla and chocolate.

Rich dark chocolate and bourbon. It must have picked up so much flavor from the 100 days in the bourbon barrel - vanilla and oak and a dark fruits. Solid alcohol burn.

Slick and creamy body with solid carbonation.

This is a staggering and overwhelming beer. All of the flavors mesh together and attack the pallet in turn. I'm glad I had the opportunity to share this with two friends, because there is no way I could have finished the whole bottle myself. I wish they would distribute to PA and I didn't have to drive to NY to pick this one up. I would be interested to see how this one tastes with some age.

jlandis, Nov 29, 2010
4.53/5  rDev -1.3%

2009 bomber I picked up at a nice bottle shop in the Berkshires while attending a wedding (last bottle on the shelf, which is always nice to snag).

Poured into a balloon glass. Not much head, but my pour was weak - will be more vigorous with the second glass. Good lacing though it doesn't linger. Nose is fantastic - chocolate and bourbon gettin' it on. Taste is right in line with the nose, mouthfeel is smooth and easy going down. Very little heat on this year-old bottle, but the ABV will catch you off guard if you're not wise.

Very special to have a great beer from a great city (my dad's hometown). Can't wait to try the coffee, vanilla, and rare (if I'm lucky enough).

ElGallo, Nov 28, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -6.8%

First thing I notice about this is the chocolate taste and bourbon smell/taste. Great for sipping. Sometimes I think I'm sipping on a port or sherry since the alcohol is so high and noticeable and the chocolate presence. For 13% it's pretty smooth. I would like to see how it ages over the course of 5 years so maybe I'll buy 5 bottles and have one every year and compare notes.

BigB415, Nov 28, 2010
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.