Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,160
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros

4.2/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap and served in snifter at the Cloverleaf Tavern.

Bourbon County Stout pours a solid black, with a wispy bit of mocha foam atop the beer. The aroma has equal waves of dark chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon crashing over my nose. I wish the latter was a little bit less intense than the former two though. The flavor profile is a bit more smooth and nuanced. Dark chocolate is intense up front, only to be met by bourbon, vanilla, and some spicy oak notes. Then, some subtle plum and fig dark fruits come in on the finish. The body is full and rich and creamy, everything I'd want from a big, barrel aged imperial stout. The low to middling carbonation completes the luxuriant mouthfeel. Bourbon County Stout is a superb beer, best described as a milkshake for adults. It's also the main reason I'm excited that Goose Island has come to NJ.

4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

The 2012 version, on tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with good head retention and lacing. That being said, just looking at this beer, it has the look of a beer that has seen considerable barrel aging. The nose, of course, is incredible, as I get considerable bourbon (natch), dark chocolate, light coffee and malt balls. The flavor profile is every bit as good, and replicates the nose very closely. The bourbon and dark chocolate seem to dominate, but I have no problem at all with that. Mouthfeel is fairly full, and the beer is a bit hot on the finish, but I think that's to be expected in a beer like this.

Completely over the top, with way too much bourbon character I suppose.... in other words, exactly what I'm looking for in an RIS. I would order this beer any time I see it on tap at a beer bar.

4.2/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance: Thick, black and viscous. A very nice fine head that sticks around for a while.

Smell: Sweet molasses. Lots of toffee. Some definite bourbon.

Taste: The taste is much more sweet than it was out of the bottle. With some time, more bourbon notes comes through. A very strong toffee and caramel taste develop. There is very little alcohol taste which is pretty impressive given its 14.5% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Viscous. Just a little carbonation coming through.

Overall: On tap, the BA sweetness tends to dominate a little bit too much for my taste. When I had it fresh out of the bottle, I felt the same way. Still, a fantastic beer, but I don't know if I would go so hard to seek it out on tap like I did before.

This scored a little bit lower than my review from a bottle with ~4 months of time on it. The heat didn't increase but the sweetness did.

4.94/5  rDev +7.6%

12oz 2009 Vintage bottle. Bottled on date of 10/02/09. Was stored at cellar temperature except for the past 4 hours chilling in the fridge.

A- Pours thick and dark as night. A small amount of off-white head quickly fades to some lacing along the sides of the glass.

S- Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon dominate. I also get hints of vanilla and oak in there as well.

T- These guys do bourbon barrel aging the best. Up front I get notes of chocolate and bourbon. Dark fruits and vanilla round out the flavor. Each sip leaves a nice warming feeling from the booziness as it goes down my throat.

M- Thick, chewy, hard hitting. Little carbonation but just enough for the style. Still drinking hot even after nearly three years.

BCBS is amazing stuff. I'm sadly now down to my last bottle (one 2010) in my cellar. If only I appreciated this stuff the way I do now a few years back when it was easy to find. Each Vintage is harder and harder to locate in my area. If you haven't tried it, get your hands on a bottle, you won't be disappointed.

4.42/5  rDev -3.7%

Growler filled from Otts Bottleshop in Medford, NJ on 7/12/12 and enjoyed the same night. Poured into a GI tulip.

Pour: Pitch black with a half finger brown head that recedes to nothing.

Smell: Vanilla bourbon bursts out of the glass. Little booze and lots of mocha and chocolate

Taste: Incredible vanilla/bourbon. The nose does not lie. Chocolate and coffee notes continue. Really sweet, but not overpowering. Booze incredibly hidden.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and smooth.

Overall: Finally got to have BCBS and it did not disappoint. A stellar BB stout.

4.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.75/5  rDev -18.3%

4.97/5  rDev +8.3%

By far my favorite beer. Not the best beer I've ever had, but when you take homerism/availability into account this is my favorite.

A- Pours black as night with no head, who wants head on their 14.5% bourbon stout? Not me!

S- BOOM! Bourbon in your face! Sweet chocolatey, coffee-y scents with the faintest hint of vanilla to balance everything stunningly. I don't even wanna drink it (I'm lying) I'd rather just smell it.

T- Oh yes... Yes! YESSS!!!! If you're reading this and have never had bcbs let me know if you're from out of town and in the chicago land area and I'll split a bottle with you (as long as I have a bottle to share, they tend to go quickly in my cellar). It's a mind blowing combination of super strong (but perfect) bourbon and chocolate with, as predicted by the nose, coffee and vanilla perfecting it.

M- Thick, real thick. Only stout I've ever had thicker was Marshal Zhukov and that was too thick for me. This is perfect coating thickness that leaves you tasting the beer long after it leaves your palate.

O- Basically perfect. It's #3 (behind CBS and King Henry) on my list of "best beers" and #1 on my list of "favorite beers" get this at all costs and I'll do what I can to help people who haven't had a taste get some.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.