Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,257
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 10,066 | Reviews: 2,633

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

4.72/5  rDev +2.6%

2011 Vintage served in large snifter glass

A: Very Dark, little bit of head that disappears quickly, good carbonation for as thick as it appears

S: Molasses, bourbon, touch of vanilla, chocolate, booze and caramel

T: Very complex and tasty, bourbon, smoky, little bit of chocolate

M: Smooth, creamy, and thick, but wouldn't think it's 14.5% ABV, nice

O: Awesome beer, bourbon doesn't overpower, a lot going on here, wish I had more to cellar

4.58/5  rDev -0.4%

A: dark black, allowing no light to escape. There is a thin brown head that submits to the beer later, allowing lacing to stay.

S: chocolate, bourbon, sweet malt, wood, and some booze

T: this is amazing. Butterscotch, chocolate, bourbon notes, roasted malt, sweetness, and a bit of cherry.

M: there is real carbonation on this beer, though it's medium-light. Heavy mouthfeel is lightened by the carbonation slightly, but it's still thick (and exactly what I wanted).

O: the amazing thing about this beer is that it's not overtaken by the bourbon barrel aging. It takes on flavor, but the flavor complements the stout flavors. A steal at $22/4-pack for this 2011 version.

4.16/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From tasting notes 1/21/11, with fellow BA'a AngryNucleus and BeRanger. Beer #3 of the night.

2011 vintage, bottled on 11/11/2011. 3oz. pour into a Founders snifter.

A: Pitch black with brown edges and no head whatsoever.

S: Straight up booze with some caramel and maybe a little bit of maple on the nose. This just smells hot. I'm nervous

T: Turns out the nerves were misplaced. Chocolate and bourbon with some caramel sweetness on the back. Pretty smooth. There is definitely some heat present here, but the flavors are blended well, and it isn't bothersome.

M: Thick, creamy, and coats the mouth nicely. The flavor really lingers, and I like that.

O: Just from memory, I liked this beer better with a little bit of age on it. I will review it again with a year or two on it and see if my memory serves me right. A very worthwhile bourbon barrel imperial stout. I hope I can pick up a bottle or two of the batch coming out in spring 2012. Goose Island's barrel aging program seemingly never disappoints.

4.23/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage served at cellar temperature into my Jolly Pumpkin snifter. #3 of the Tasting tonight.

A: Pours Jet Black or even a Deep brown with a mocha rim. (I suspect one finger head if we werent splitting up the bottle)

S: Holy Bourbon! Also hints of chocolate.

T: Certainly a lot smoother than the smell. The chocolate and roast malts are nicely intertwined with the bourbon flavor.

M: Heavier-bodied and medium carbonation.

O: This was a wonderful beer to have in between 2010 Coffee and 2010 Rare (which is next). I really enjoyed it, a lot more than I thought I would given the hot smell.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

4.63/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Pours almost black, thick, with little chocolate tan head; light carbonation bubbling from the bottom.

S-Definite molasses and bourbon (alcohol), with (I think) scents of chocolate and smoke-maybe a smokey wood. scent and see with big stouts. Bourbon, dark chocolate, molasses in the smell.

T-A smooth sweet flavor, definite taste of molasses and bourbon (obviously). With the 14.5%, you definitely taste the alochol on the back side, but not overwhelming; perfect I think!

M-Smooth, creamy, but again you definitely feel the carbonation; excellent combination overall.

O- Absolutely love this beer! At first considered it my new favorite Imperial Stout, but I hate to admit, the closer I got to the bottom of the glass, the molasses began to overpower my taste buds; molasses is a great, but not by itself. But I will have one every opportunity I get!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.