Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,152
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros

4.97/5  rDev +8%

Just cracked my first 2011 (bottled 11/11/11) and poured into my favorite snifter (thanks to krtman).

I've had every year 2007 - 2011 and this might be the best.

A: Black silk (like a girl I once knew).

S: This smells so god-damn good. The bourbon over-powers the entire room. I could shove a sardine up one nostril, and a jalapeno in the other and the bourbon would still shine through.

T: Surprisingly smooth. This is usually very hot for about a year - not this batch. Unreal. Immediately you taste the bourbon, then some burnt malts, and a nice sweet vanilla finish. Ahhhh.

M: Just as smooth as it looked. Full bodied, thicker than I remember. Nicely carbonated, with tiny bubbles.

O: What a great beer. It's sad to think that in past years I could buy as much of this as I wanted, and this year I doubt I'll be able to buy more than the one four-pack I came into totally by luck.

I've taken you for granted all these years. Sorry old buddy.

4.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint. 2011 vintage.

A: Pours a nearly opaque, nearly black, very very dark brown color with a very thin, dark tan head. Little retention or lace.

S: Bourbon, with chocolate in the background.

T: Surprisingly mellow for a beer this strong and so young. Chocolate, bourbon, coffee, cola, dark fruits, light molasses, allspice. Some sweetness but not too much. Complex and contemplative.

M: Full bodied, with a great, oily quality and a little cream. Not too heavy and goes down smoothly.

O: An intense beer for sure. I remember being impressed with this last year, but unfortunately did not buy any for aging. Was lucky to get 10 bottles today and most of those are going to cellar for a year or more. May update this later with notes on aging and vintages, but for now, suffice it to say this is worth the hype.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

3.83/5  rDev -16.7%

2011 Brew Batch - Bottled 11/11/11

Served chilled in a pint glass. Poured an undiscernable, non-translucent dark brown with a mocha color fizzy/bubbly head that quickly fleeted to nothing. It has the appearance and consistency of a Coca-Cola. First aromas are of bourbon, liquor, roast, caramel, wood, earth, slight vanilla. The tastes mirror that with a slight syrupy booziness to it. It has strong upfront heaviness to it but the tastes disperse quick leaving not much of an aftertaste. It appears that this year's batch has a ABV of 14.5% I can taste every bit of it!

Enjoy!

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

2011 Release, from a 12-oz bottle.

A: This pours a jet-black color with a thin brown head that quickly dissipates to pretty much nothing, which I'm not surprised, considering the high ABV.

S: As soon as I opened the bottle, I could smell the bourbon from about a foot away. A close inspection brings out bourbon, chocolate, vanilla and slight coffee notes.

T: Exactly the same as the smell-bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, plus the added sweetness of brown sugar. Like Dark Lord, it's sweet, but unlike Dark Lord, it's just sweet enough to balance out the booziness that also makes itself present.

M: Surprisingly thin for a beer that's advertised with a 14-plus % ABV content - and that's not a bad thing. Unlike other imperial stouts that are so thick you feel like you're drinking tar, this one goes down dangerously smooth.

O: This was my very first bourbon-barrel aged imperial stout a couple years ago and it blew me away back then. I've had many other bourbon-barrel aged-beers but this one's still my favorite. I remember I could just go to the store and buy this beer whenever I was in the mood for it for months after the 2009 release came out. This time, I was lucky to get ONE 12-oz bottle a few days after the 2011 release. Ah, how times change...

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.