Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,588
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,605 | Hads: 10,711
4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

To tell the truth, I was expecting to be overwhelmed by the bourbon taste in this brew. Although I love KBS, I had heard that this beer was hotter and more bourbon-intensive, and I haven't liked a good portion of the bourbon aged ales that I have tried. That said...

Bottle served in a Dogfish Head snifter (my first beer in this glass).

A: Black silk, thick and very creamy looking. The head was but a thin layer of brown carbonation that barely covered the entire surface area.

S: Whoa. Okay you know how every once in a while you make an olfactory connection that really has nothing to do with the actual aromas....macaroni and cheese. I can't get it out of my head. I liken it to the bourbon in the beer, but it is disconcerting. My fault though, not the beer's.

T: Actually I think this beer is really balanced. The bourbon is evident but not overwhelming like I was afraid of, and there is enough dark coffee and otherwise standard imp stout characteristics to balance out that flavor. Still tastes a little like macaroni and cheese, but I'm getting over it. For 13% I think this beer is very smooth, and the alcohol really isn't burning or overly hot at all.

M: Thick of course, with a lasting bitter finish. Tightly carbonated, nice compact bubbles that keep the beer from being to slick and oily.

D: Okay, so it's more drinkable than I expected, and I'm definitely going to finish this happily, but I think rationally (and economically) the Bourbon County Stout isn't something you're going to have two of. That said, considering the outright robustness of flavors and very high ABV, it does relatively well in the drink department.

I'm happy with this beer. I'd buy it again, though maybe not until next year. I think next to their Imperial IPA, this is the best beer Goose Island makes. If you really like the taste of bourbon in beer, you will really love it; if you're open to new experiences, you'll be pleasantly surprised; if you aren't ready for this craziness, save your money and wait for your taste buds to make some progress.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

A pitch black beer with some amber red hues striking through it. Shy head retention at max.

smell of coffee, chocolate flavors, licorice, vanilla, cherry and some hints of bourbons.

Taste is licorice at first followed by Bourbon mellow flavors, roasted hints, shy hints of vanilla, a taste of glazed donut, sugary coated donuts. A shy bitterness, with a shy hoppy stint with a mellow warm alcohol finish.

4.51/5  rDev +0.2%

I picked up a 2008 4 pack of this to try for the second time. The first time that I tried it I was just getting into beer and did not like it. I am glad that I gave it another try a few years later. It pours completely and utterly black. There is absolutely no light let through, and it is almost syrupy. There is a small tan head that leaves a bit of lacing.

The main aroma that jumps out is that of bourbon, followed by chocolate, vanilla, and a bit of dark fruit. I don't notice much in the way of a woody aroma like I expected, perhaps that is dominated by the presence of the bourbon.

The taste is that of bourbon. At first it is not as dominant as the aroma might suggest, but as it warms the bourbon flavor becomes more and more present. Alongside the bourbon is the taste of vanilla and chocolate. This is then followed by a nice roasted flavor that I didn't really detect in the aroma. The end is smooth and sweet.

The mouthfeel is quite nice for an after-dinner beer. It is very full and coats the mouth all the way through. The presence of bourbon lingers well after I swallow. A nice warming feel from the alcohol comes through after a few sips.

This beer is not a beer to take lightly. At 13%, the alcohol is in your face and the complexity of flavors makes it something that I really think should be paired with no food other than perhaps a boozy-chocolaty dessert. It has enough flavors going on that it can stand on its own very well. It is a great beer to have and savor slowly, once in a while.

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Poured with a pretty tan colored, fizzy head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving no lacing. The beer is pitch black and doesn't let any light through at all.

Smell: Sweet roasted malt, dark fruit like ripe bing cherries, chocolate and a little toffee, sweet bourbon, and a nice nutty/woody aroma.

Taste: Roasted malt, sweet fruit like cherries and plum, chocolate, light coffee flavor, delicious sweet bourbon flavor, vanilla, macadamia nuts, oak flavor and ends with a toffee roasted malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thick smooth silky body, nicely carbonated, some alcohol burn, leaves mouth with a sweet syrupy coating (in a good way).

Overall: Good drinkability for a bourbon stout. Great flavors with nice complexity. Totally love this beer! The alcohol is present in flavor and feel, but not like a 13% ABV beer and not overwhelming at all!!

3.32/5  rDev -26.2%

12oz bottle. Black with a bit of foam at first but no lasting head. The aroma is pretty much straight bourbon, with a light dark chocolate accompaniment. Thick and slick with low, fine carbonation. Lots of bourbon, wood, alcohol, and dark chocolate flavors. The alcohol is relatively smooth, but very present. I can dig this a little bit, but it seems to be intense just for intensity's sake. The bourbon runs the show for sure.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Pours a deep black hue with a brownish head.

S- Huge smell. Fig, raisin, deep dark fruit, bourbon, brown sugar.

T- The taste is sublime. Dark fruits and brown sugar as in the smell, a huge wave of bourbon and alcohol roll across the tongue.

M- Thick with medium carbonation.

D- This was quite possibly the best imperial stout ive ever tasted. Huge bourbon, but it didn't distract from the full body of the beer. Excellent.

4.22/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass.

A: A jet oily thick black with a slight outer ring of light brown head. No glass lacing to speak of.

S: Like smelling a bourbon bottle. Heavy bourbon smell with vanilla and oak with a pretty hefty sweetness.

T: Bourbon is forfront here, with flavors of vanilla, oak, chocolate, some coconut and a caramel and toffee sweetness. Alcohol is very noticable and very forward. Finish is oaky vanilla with sweetness lasting. A small hop bitterness is underneath. Very complex beer.

M: Full, thick, oily and alcoholy.

D: Low, the alcohol really jumps out at you. Couple that with the sweetness and one bottle is more than enough.

Overall a very complex, excellent beer that blows away KBS on the bourbon flavor, however it gets blown away by KBS on the drinkability scale and enjoyablility scale. This is a great beer, but it can only be handled in small doses.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

2008 batch. BCS pours thick but not pure black. I bet if I melted the bottle down and poured it into my glass it would look like this beer. Some light peaks through and yields some garnet highlights. The head is very unimpressive as it's only a thin wisp of yellow bubbles that fade to a pencil thin collar and a spits worth floating around in the center. However I'm sure the ABV and the style make the lack of head intentional so I don't deduct that much.

Smell is just short of phenomenal. Thickly sweet with scents like bourbon, musty oak, vanilla, dried coconut, dark chocolate and coffee. Deep roasted grains punch you square in the sniffer as does a slightly boozy nose.

The taste on the other hand is phenomenal. The profile has so many distinct layers that change potency and order each sip. Deep flavors that rock your soul range from coconut and condensed milk to dark chocolate and Kentucky burbon. Vanilla bean, caramel and charred oak smoke me out in the next sip. To quote the label "one sip has more flavor then your average case" amen to that one.

Mouthfeel is sweetly slick and incredibly smooth. There is a slight roughness that makes the back of my throat raw but I still dig this beer. It does have slightly more booze flavors then I prefer but what do you expect from an 11 percenter. God damn this is a kick ass beer. Beer like this begs to be sipped and enjoyed as long as possible. Fantastic.

4.14/5  rDev -8%

Bourbon County Stout poured into a snifter-- it comes out thick and nearly syrupy. Close to the blackest stout I've ever seen, with just a tiny ring of dark brown on the edge. Nearly zero head, not unexpected for the style.

Aroma is a brilliant bursting bouquet of vanilla, cherry, bourbon, and roasty-toasty malt. I can't pull my nose out of the snifter, we're getting some chocolate notes now as it warms up, sweet molasses too!

Taste is very sweet, a little bit of that chocolate and fruit persists. Bourbon flavor compliments well, does not overpower the rest of the beer. Sadly, these nice flavors are getting crowded by a little charred taste and alcohol astringency. We've just barely crossed the line of roasted sweet flavors to burnt flavors.

Feel the heat, my friends, all the way down your esophagus. On this damp, spring night it doesn't feel bad at all. Super slick mouthfeel thanks to minimal carbonation.

Not overly heavy with the style in mind, we're talking about Double Stouts here.

This certainly is a good beer, but I know other brewers have managed to make big sweet bourbony beers without the defect of burnt wood flavor. Of course, that is an elite bunch. I'm not unhappy with GI-BCS, but I can think of a few who have pulled this off a little better.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%

A- Poured black an thick, like used motor oil. I enjoy strong beer, and this kind of appearance gets me excited, as it promises a strong body. The head was disappointing (there wasn't one) but the pint glass was recently hand-washed, so I'll blame soap residue.

S- Dark chocolate combined with sour-mash bourbon, including heavy amounts of strong alcohol! Back behind was milder burnt toast, dark molasses and perhaps raisins

T- Heavy, with less chocolate than on the nose, but the bourbon persists, and the raisiny sweetness comes through much stronger

M- For the thick mouth feel, this could be used motor oil!

D- Well, it was incredibly enjoyable, but as one of the strongest beers I've ever experienced, I can't say that I'd have more than two in an evening.

In summary, this was one of the best and most unique beers I've ever had. Not for the faint of heart!

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

2008 Vintage.

A: The beer is pitch black with no highlights at all. It pours thick and viscous, and a vigorous pour brings a thin, tan head that quickly dissipates, leaving little head on top of the beer and not much lacing.

S: Huge flavors of chocolate and bourbon that leap out of the glass, accompanied by more subtle flavors of black cherries, mince pie, blackstrap molasses, and a dusting of cocoa.

T: The bourbon flavor grows in strength throughout, from mild at first to very strong by the end. The bourbon flavor really dominates the palate, accompanied by hints of rum, port, sweet caramel, and vanilla. But these flavors are much more subtle relative to the bourbon flavor. The finish brings a welcome note of roasted coffee, that quickly gives way to smooth bourbon flavor, and a very sweet finish.

M: Rich, creamy and unctuous. Super smooth and mouth-coating.

D: This is no easy sipper, the 13% alcohol is not hidden whatsoever, and a couple of sips into it you can really begin to notice the warming alcohol, and this is slightly more noticeable as the beer warms up.

4.59/5  rDev +2%

2008 vintage. I had this beer once before, and I had a cold. What a mistake to drink it then. I didn't think much of it, and I'm lucky I tried it again, because this beer is fantastic. A deep viscous black and a purposefully agitating pour yeilds a nice brown head, fades. Strong fumes of bourbon, vanilla, tons of roasted malt, chocolate, raisins. This beer is hot but manages to come across as soft and refined, not brash at all. Flavor is pretty spot on. Bourbon up front, plenty of vanilla and oak surrounds a full on roasted malt profile of coffee, chocolate, deep tobacco, dry smokiness, and a delicious cakey flavor. Sweet and fluffy but has a deep char and leather character as well to balance out the sweetness. Somehow the 13% ABV is kept in check and only adds more complexity to this brew. Velvet mouthfeel, full bodied but not too heavy surprisingly. Goes down the gullet all too easily for a beer this big. I'm not necessarily a fan of the "extreme beer" movement but this barrel aged beer is an example of a great achievement in brewing. Much props to sonicdescent for the trade.

4.64/5  rDev +3.1%

A: black, viscous, no head whatsoever because of abv, light ring of sticky bubbles on ring

S: Bourbon, coffee, soy sauce, charred wood, burnt malts, smokey oats, chocolate, brown sugar

T: Bourbon, warm diacetyl, dark chocolate, caramel, more bourbon

MF: Thick, rich, warm, biting alcohol on back of throat simmers and warms to a warm belly, like after drinking hot cocoa-very smooth

D: Gets smoother and smokier as it warms. Worth the price, every once in a while. Would love to drink 2 in a row, but I might end up in Mexico with a hooker in the trunk of my car. Kudos to Goose Island for making this complex and robust beer. It takes huge nuts to pack in so much flavor

4.32/5  rDev -4%

This classic poured the deep black I was expecting into an oversized wine glass. I didn't get much of a head out of it, but what did was brown retained excellent around the edges which seemed to take a redish hue in the light.

Nose was strong but smooth and inviting. Chocolate, whiskey, oak, sweet caramel, licorice, and subtle alcohol.

Wow what a flavor. Sweet chocolate, vanilla bean, caramel, woody along with aged whiskey. Finish was coffee and not overly dry.

Body was full as expected, a sipper for sure. The carbonation kept it crisp, while the alcohol kept it warm and warmer going down.

A whiskey lover's delight, this one does not disappoint. Great winter sipper or a beer to watch the game with....the whole game.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz single from LiquorMax in Loveland, CO for $5.

A: Inky dark black, pitch black, a few dark dark brown bubbles popped up. Not a whole lot though. Very dark and ominous looking. Excellent. Even oily looking. This is great.

S: Bourbon, chocolate, raisins, brown sugar, and lots and lots of booze. Wow this is huge on the alcohol. Has a ton of bourbon qualities, much more so than an imperial stout. I'm impressed.

T: Huge flavors, chocolate, coffee, bourbon, brown sugar, really strong roasted flavors, dark fruits, plums even. This is really an impressive beer. Huge bourbon flavors, sweet throughout. I can't really detect any hops in this, but it doesn't really suffer. This is a huge beer all around. Alcohol isn't in the way and terrible, just a nice complement. This is a fantastic beer.

M: Perfect, absolutely spot on, thick, huge and sticky, with a hint of alcohol heat, very dry as well. Excellent in the mouthfeel.

D: Sneaky, this beer is huge, and could easily be consumed quickly, and multiple, the alcohol heat does catch up fairly quick. I really wish I would have bought more. This is an exceptional beer. Highly recommended.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass. The liquid is an opaque bistre or seal brown, with a thin ring of tan carbonation for a head. A maleostrom of lacing swirls ominously after each lift of the glass.

The aroma is coffee, chocolate, brown bread, feed grain, and a little alcohol.

All of the aromas develop into dense flavors on the palate as well, accompanied by a fleeting hoppy bitterness. The bourbon barrel is present but not in the form of char, but rather vanilla, white-dog, maple, and further subtleties. Almost like beer coated by a thin layer of mid-shelf Beam whiskey (e.g. Knob Creek). My better half who normally doesn't like stout called it "liquid cake."

The mouthfeel is rich, unctuous, and oily, peerless really, among the stouts I've sampled thus far. Highly quaffable despite having an assertive flavor profile and (deceptively) high ABV. It certainly borders on the superb.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

A big black beer. Looks like I'm pouring used motor oil out of an engine instead of a beer, but in a good way. :-) Not much head, but with a beer this strong I don't expect one. 4/5

The smell is heavenly. If you handed this to me blind, I'm not sure I would be able to tell you that it was a beer and not a glass of bourbon. Bourbon happens to be one of the only hard alcohol drinks I enjoy straight so again, this is a very good thing. 5/5

Upon the first sip I am surprised by the sweetness considering the beer is as high in alcohol as it is. It is simply a put a perfect beer. World class in every respect. Goose Island achieved everything that I think they set out to with this beer. 5/5

Mouthfeel is smooth and again just perfect. 5/5

Part of me wishes that this beer was a little bit weaker so I could put back more than one in a sitting but that may be part of what makes this such a special beer. It must be enjoyed in moderation and leaves you looking forward to the next one you will enjoy another day. 4/5

I wish that I could find this stuff in Denver.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

served in tall sample glass

a: jet black opaque, blackest I've ever seen, no head but nice legs

s: beechnut tobacco and molassas

t: tobacco raisons, prunes, molassas, caramel, coffee, and sherry, nice balance with bitterness, not hot for a 13%

m: sweet and cloying, but in a good way, rich and creamy

d: good for a monster beer great dessert beer.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

A- Pours a black with a very small little caramel colored head. The head dissipates in a few seconds, leaving a small ring of bubbles and leaving very little lacing.

S- Smells of hints a roasted malt and vanilla, but is overwhelmed by the bourbon and that's really all I can pick up.

T- Tastes is pretty similar to the smell with hints chocolate, vanilla, and roasted malt. Again tons of bourbon and the alcohol is every where here and not hidden at all.

M- Body is thick, full bodied and the carbonation is right on.

D- Very awesome brew for sure.

4.19/5  rDev -6.9%

Big thanks to Mark D for the pour of this stuff.

A - Pours black, with a 1/2 fingered mocha head. Dissipates immediately and laves no lacing.

S - Bourbon, chocolate, and flowers.

T - Bourbon, chocolate, light coffee, and caramel. Hops almost non-existent.

M - Full bodied, malt dominated, and light alcohol.

D - Great beer, would like to see more hops though.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Consumed on 4/25/09, bottle poured into pint glass. 2008, according to label.

Pours nice dark black with an attractive tan head, that slowly fizzes away. Smell is fantastic, with the bourbon scent coming through most clearly, though you can also scent molasses, malt and coffee. The taste is absolutely exceptional and complex; there is a lot going on in this beer. The bourbon in the name is clearly there, though dark fruit, malt, molasses, coffee, a hint of vanilla and some licorice as well; even the oak of the barrel is there. So much going on... The booze is still a little hot, but it is an amazing accomplishment of flavor. Its nice and thick and syrupy in the mouth, and I really enjoy the way it drinks. Its a wonderful, wonderful beer, but it is definitely a sipper, and there is no way I could have more than one of these.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz bottle thanks to a great trade with spointon. This is one of those that has sat on my wants list for a while. Served this one up in my Terrapin snifter.

A: Pours a pretty viscous and inky black color. That black is completely opaque, giving light zero chance at getting through this body. The head is a nice dark coffee brown that was a little over a quarter of an inch. the had has some pretty good retention as a thick and high ring. The lace is spotty, but present. Just a fine looking brew.

S: Well, it is appropriate they put bourbon in the name. Getting a really nice peat and spicy bourbon aroma that is just . . . lovely. Getting a decent amount of roasted dark malts. The sweetness melds nicely with bourbon. Thee i a bit of dark fruit going on in here along with . . . is that licorice? I taste a bit of licorice. Chocolate jumps out just a bit in the finish. Its a nice dark and slightly bitter chocolate going on here.

T: Really nice bourbon flavor that is absolutely there but it doesn't completely overtake this brew at all. Often times, bourbon brews can be a one trick pony, but this guy has some dynamics to it. Really nice chocolate coming through with the nice and roasted malty goodness in here. The malts have a slightly bitter and sweet thing going on here that really works. Actually getting some hops in here as well, bring a touch more bitterness in here and touch of dryness. Getting some nice wood (hehehe) and a slight touch of vanilla in here. The dark fruits are light but come out just a bit. The booziness is there but yet again it doesn't overpower. Very fuggin good.

M: Full bodied brew that has a nice, heavy and slick feel coming out here. This brew is chewy and has some nice weight to it. Alcohol heat is pretty darned good with a nice warming in the throat and belly. Has a nice warming quality to it. Carbonation is there but still allows this beer to be heavy and thick. Aftertaste is just some malts and bourbon lingering about.

D: Pretty good brew. Its got a lot going on here but it doesn't sit too heavy. It would be easy to put down a couple of these in a night and this one has gone quickly. The flavors and aromas are damned nice and this is a fine ass brew. If you can get it, I envy you. If you can't, seek it out.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Pretty interesting to see Goose Island sending this beer (and this beer only) to Colorado.
Pours as pretty much the thickest, blackest, murkiest beer I've seen to date. Carbonation's minimal due to the potency and the oak barrels always seem to take a little away, too.
On the nose, you get waves of bourbon and vanilla, but with some roasty and chocolate flavors trailing.
The flavors are going crazy in this beer! Vanilla, bourbon, molasses, coconut, chocolate, sweet malts, and rum. Wow. I wouldn't guess it's 13% either.
Goes down very easily at first, but once you're 1/2 way finished, the sweetness and potency catches up with you. A definite sipper for the last half of the bottle.
I like this a lot, and I can only guess that splitting a bottle is ideal.
Surprisingly reminds me a whole lot of the Bull & Bush's Legend of the Liquid Brain and Royal Oil beers.
I'll be buying more for sure.

3.39/5  rDev -24.7%

Appearance - Umm, black. Hardly even a hint of brown on the edges. Dark brown head that disappeared really quickly.

Smell - Interesting... I get a predominantly sweet flavor over the obvious bitter ones. The first smell that jumps out is maple syrup, followed by bourbon. I then get a bet of smoke as well as some wood and a bit of rum-like alcohol in there. Finally, you get a hint of chocolate and raisins in there.

Taste - Damn... its heavy on the smoke, heavy on the bourbon, and heavy on the wood. I taste a little chocolate and coffee and a hint of fruit, and then the alcohol kicks in. Previous reviewer is right... Subtlety is not a strong suit of this one.

Mouthfeel - Very, very thick and viscous. Somewhat light on the carbonation, but it kicks in after it is in your mouth for a bit.

Drinkability - This is going to be a total sipper, and a hard sell to finish the bottle. The flavors are crazy and in your face, and the viscous nature makes it even worse. I appreciate the extreme nature of the beer, but this will be the only time i have it.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Served on tap at Blind Tiger.

Wow, is this an intense, in your face beer. I'm not sure I ever used that phrase to describe a beer before, but that's what comes to mind. There is nothing subtle about it, from the nose, to the taste, to the boozy heat it leaves behind. If you like wood aged stouts, you're going to like it. If you don't, you won't.

It pours (oozes?) jet black and thick as old motor oil, little in the way of foam. The nose is all bourbon, wood, vanilla, coffee and chocolate. And, alcohol. Taste is exactly what it smells like and punches you in the tastebuds the second it hits em. All the bourbon, vanilla and coffee hit fast, and then the boozy heat finishes it off. This is a sipper for sure. Probably shouldn't have had it first...Very smooth in the mouth, as you'd expect from something like this with such little carbonation.

Its definitely an "experience" beer. Would I drink it again? Its only a matter of time...it just wouldn't be tomorrow. Still, first rate and worth trying if you can find it. To me, the only thing it could use is some subtlety.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.