1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  14.20% ABV

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003)
View: Beers (269) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,933 | Reviews: 2,281 | Show All Ratings:
gildo9

the best stout ever to enter my mouth , a bouquet of flavors , such as Vanilla, Chocolote, and of course Bourbon, licorice, coffee, exc.. every taste is a different flavor.
the flavor lingers forever in your mouth long after the sip. If you can find it , it's well worth any price. Just by a stroke of dumb luck found a 4 pack today for 30.00 . A steal

01-29-2014 21:58:54 | More by gildo9
ExtraStout

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz 2012 Vintage bottle at David Burke Prime steakhouse in Foxwoods, CT. $25 per bottle.

A- Pours thick and dark as night. Almost no head to speak of to a small amount of off-white head quickly fades to some lacing along the sides of the glass.

S- Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon dominate. I also get hints of vanilla and oak in there as well.

T- These guys do bourbon barrel aging the best. Up front I get notes of chocolate and bourbon. Dark fruits and vanilla round out the flavor. Each sip leaves a nice warming feeling from the booziness as it goes down my throat.

M- Thick, chewy, hard hitting. Little carbonation but just enough for the style.

BCBS is amazing stuff. I had to order a 2nd bottle. If only I appreciated this stuff the way I do now a few years back when it was easy to find. Each Vintage is harder and harder to locate in my area. If you haven't tried it, get your hands on a bottle, you won't be disappointed.

01-29-2014 01:49:07 | More by ExtraStout
rdilauro

Connecticut

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to a co-worker I was able to taste this beer. I was totally amazed about this one. I have heard so much about it. Last year, we sold all of our allocations to our customers, so I never had the chance to taste even one

Not this year! It poured like any good stout should, dark, dark and darker with a off color creamy head.

The difference with this one came with the aroma. So many stouts, I was always getting those perfect aromas of coffee and chocolate and the follow on taste would back up what my noise felt.

With this one, I could not detect any chocolate or coffee. For a second or so, I could pick up a "Tawny Port" type of nose. The alcohol is there, but there is also so much more going on

My first sip! Soft and Round, really no alcohol taste to it considering how high the ABV is. But as this one was finishing, what I could pick up was a strong but not over bearing taste of molasses. It was if I was transported to Tennessee, on the farms where buckets of molasses are so present. So needless to say, I enjoyed this stout.

Very unique, something I have never tasted before, but am looking to tasting it again.

01/28/14
Just love the jet black pour into a proper beer glass with a small but dirty creamy head that is really inviting. The initial aroma is coffee, but again, its alcohol and the third sniff, I picked up sweetness like molasses

The first sip was big, very big and full. Letting the beer hit all parts of my mouth, I think what stood out was the bitterness. Taging along was the feel of bourbon from the wooden casks

The finish was big, as big as the beginning, but here the tastes changed somewhat. I felt more of a rich sweetness that coated my throat to handle the burnt-woody alcohol flavor.

As my first tasting of this. Truly unique, very different. I was fortunate enough to taste Goose Islands Chocolate Stout and Barely wine. All three were very unique and enjoyable. But this one was sort of out there, but in a very good way.

01-28-2014 16:50:24 | More by rdilauro
evanforbeer

4.94/5  rDev +8.1%

pours the deepest black with thin brown head

nose- bourbon and oak and dark cherry, leather, cocoa. potent, rich.

taste- rich fudge and bourbon hit with subtle citrusy hop bite. Oak and caramel emerge with dark cherry/ fig and a hint of licorice. Finishes with rich cocoa and bourbon heat

feel- heated, viscous, velvet, boozy, rich

The first time I had this it knocked my socks off. This is my 3rd try and it is still absolutely wonderful. I have a bottle with coffee and I look forward to that, but it nice to have such an amazing BA stout with no coffee added that shines so richly. Big bourbon and barrel here.

01-28-2014 03:21:42 | More by evanforbeer
glass_house

12 oz. draft in a snifter at Caliente Pizza & Draft House, Pittsburgh. My first flight with this Goose and I'm excited.

Black. How else could you describe this color? One finger of dark tan head quickly fades to a thin ring with moderate lacing. Not at all extraordinary-looking for an imperial stout, but exactly what it should be, and a beauty nonetheless.

The aroma is an incredible blend dominated by dark roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Not dark chocolate like a candy bar, but rather a fresh, hot devil's food cake. Surrounded by faint vanilla, toffee, dark fruits, bourbon, and a bit of smoke. I suppose at some point I have to stop smelling this and drink it.

Soft on the tongue with little carbonation. It's silky smooth, creamy, and thick without being too heavy or syrupy. Taste follows the nose pretty closely. Smooth dark coffee and slightly bitter dark chocolate lead the way. Caramel and toffee accents quickly follow, and I swear I'm getting a dark cherry sweetness that goes perfectly with the chocolate. The alcohol is warming in the finish, but I don't find it boozy at all. Barely noticing a very faint bourbon note, but perhaps that's because I drink too much actual bourbon. Either way, this is a masterpiece of dynamic flavors that intermingle flawlessly.

I wanted to find a reason NOT to rate this beer a 5 in every category, but I would have been lying to myself. Are there better stouts out there? I don't know, maybe. But this is the best I've had and I'll be thinking about it until the day I can get my hands on it again.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-27-2014 15:21:49 | More by glass_house
koutkid41

4.76/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Dark black, tan head, nice alcohol legs.

S: Strong bourbon, coconut, vanilla, molasses, toffee, caramel, roasted coffee, and dark chocolate. Absolutely love this aroma more and more the more I smell it.

T: In the beginning the flavor strongly resembles the aroma - dark chocolate, molasses, dark coffee roast, vanilla, coconut, toffee, caramel. Then it goes more into the roasted malts special roast, roasted barley and get hints of the alcohol. The aftertaste is sweet with some residual sweetness with a mild aftertaste.

M: Full-bodied and thick, with calm alcohol burn for how much is in it.

O: Im not really into Bourbon aged beer but this one is just amazing. Saw a liquor store that still has a few cases left, might have to stock up a bit.

01-27-2014 04:03:21 | More by koutkid41
MrPlayboy

Nothing compares.
NoTHING compares.. to you..

But really, I can't help but judge every other BBA beer by this one and I've never had better. Vanilla, cocoa, molasses, and coconut with lots of boozy sweet deliciousness to smooth everything out. Vintage 2013 is drinking great right now.

01-27-2014 00:37:19 | More by MrPlayboy
NeedBeerHere

3.99/5  rDev -12.7%

2013 bottle

Smell is Black as night but only a tiny brown head with little retention. Smell is definitely mostly chocolate, maybe some dark malts, and a little booze. Taste is quite bit more boozy, with lots of chocolate. Realy not tasting much else. Mouthfeel is really thick is one might thing. Overall since it hasn't bee aged we have a little booze and lots of chocolate, Really not anything to crazy except what one would expect. Really great beer but with some time on it the beer would be BETTE!!!!

01-26-2014 16:15:55 | More by NeedBeerHere
Petey_the_Quiet

This. Beer. Was. Perfect.

Look, I'm not even going to go into a break down of this beer. If you see this beer, buy it, in whatever form it comes in... on tap, in a bottle, somehow someone has left some in their glass and doesn't finish it, etc... seriously, you HAVE to have tried this beer.

There's nothing like it to compare it to, there's nothing like it to say, "Well, if they did ___ instead it would've been better..." This beer is PERFECT in what it is, to say otherwise is insanity to me. I think some reviews lose site of rating within what the beers are, they get compared to beers outside their categories. I'm not here comparing this beer to other beers I've had and saying, "Well if Bourbon County had've done ___ it would've been more to my liking." There's simply no comparison for this beer to say it should be any different, there's nothing better you can point to and honestly say that someone else did this beer better. This is THE pinnacle, this is what any other beers that come after it strive to be. It's in a league of its own, it's its own competition, there's nothing else but Bourbon County in this field that stands alone atop this mountain of deliciousness.

01-26-2014 05:44:59 | More by Petey_the_Quiet
MadCat

4.63/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours black with the faintest of dark brown heads. Leaves some sort of mix between legs and lacing, unusual for a beer

Smell: The intense aroma is immediately noticeable as soon as you pop the cap off. Sweet bourbon and vanilla up front, some figs and molasses

Taste: Starts with vanilla, bourbon, and oak. Then some nice depth with figs, molasses, and a little earthiness. Some toffee

Mouthfeel: Full body, low carbonation, would like a little more carb from that since I got almost no head.

Overall: Fantastic. Definitely a slow drinker, but amazing for how well rounded it is so fresh, and how it isn't boozy or anything. Going to revisit this four pack each year to see how it develops, but I'm not sure where it can go from here, it is already fantastic. It is almost more like a dessert wine rather than a beer, but there's nothing wrong with that. Glad I finally could get this classic.

Also, on barrel aged beers, I personally feel many don't get it right. This is the second BA beer I've had that I think does. Must be an art form or something, either that or I'm more discriminating of my BA brews.

01-25-2014 02:37:42 | More by MadCat
Act25

4.19/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

After spending time with BCBS, letting it arrive at room temperature, when it became very different, more of a dessert wine, I had to say, it's well-crafted, but not my idea of beer. It's more of a thick dessert wine, of which I am not a fan.

At the NYC store where I bought a single, I asked "$8?" And counter man said, "yeah, but it's 3 beers worth, it's all you'll need."

It certainly packs 3 beers worth of concentrated flavors as well as ABV, but the syrupy nature is … too much for me. It's like drinking the syrup that makes the beverage.

Appearance: Pours an opaque, thick espresso brown color with a so-so mocha latte head that fades fast, but sticks w lots of lace.

Smell: Bourbon in front and center, and it masks a bit the other delightful background notes, which are evocative of a European church: oak, dark chocolate, charred wood, incense, caramel, vanilla, late winter earth, and a hint of dried flowers.

(I cannot get as much out of the nose as others seem to do, due to too much bourbon alcohol.)

Taste: The bourbon powers from the start, then blends with duality of charred wood, varnished pews, incense, and the dark chocolate and vanilla syrups straight from the taps. I don't get as much fruit as others do. Interesting, meditation beer, but drinks -frankly like an over done dessert zinfandel. And although balanced, is a bit too sweet. I feel like it would be GREAT blended in a milkshake.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and syrupy, with low carbonation. Must let it warm, but becomes more and more of an after-dinner dessert wine… flat, syrupy, thick. … And I am NOT a fan of dessert wines.

Had a hard time finishing so drank it along side my Dales Pale Ale for a while, and enjoyed it more with the contrast, and then, finally made a black and tan of them which was delicious and more balanced and interesting to me.

01-24-2014 12:18:36 | More by Act25
goochpunch

1.6/5  rDev -65%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Ink black body and hardly any head at all. Smell is more bourbon barrel than anything. Lot of vanilla, chocolate, and a weird buttery aroma. The butter is so strong. Kind of soured/rancid. Pros for flavor: roasty malts, chocolate, caramel. Cons: overwhelming barrel, vanilla, butter, soy sauce, sweetness, booze. Mouthfeel is slick and kind of flat. Booze numbs the tongue. I really don't like this at all. It's grossing me out. A fine example of a messy, bourbon barrel-forwarded stout.

01-24-2014 05:09:25 | More by goochpunch
Kahless

Kansas

3.85/5  rDev -15.8%

On tap at Henry's in Lawrence, KS. Served in a Boulevard Smokestack Series glass (which is weird because I know they have Goose Island branded snifters at Henry's and I don't know why they wouldn't use that. Not that there's anything wrong with the Smokestack glass, I just figured they'd use a matching brand glass.)

Appearance was pitch black with a rock head that quickly dissipated. No lacing to speak of.

Smell was mostly the barrel. There was also a hint of chocolate under the bourbon flavor. Tastes followed the smell, but the chocolate flavor was more prominent and there was also noticeable roastiness and the earthiness you typically get from an old ale. The initial taste was dominated by the bourbon, followed by most of the "stout" flavors in the back half of the palate, and returning to bourbon in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel was full, though not quite as sticky as I expected.

I generally am not as big a fan of spirit-barrel-aged beers as some on this site, as I don't like whiskey or other spirits, but I couldn't pass up a chance to try such a hyped beer, and overall I think they did a good job with this one creating a barrel-aged beer where the barrel predominates without obliterating all the other flavors, like some other barrel-aged beers are.

01-24-2014 03:28:31 | More by Kahless
schwemjw

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 Vintage
A: Void of color, black. with a creamy dark tan head that leaves beautiful lacing around the glass when it disappears.

S: Oh my. vanilla, roast, coffee, chocolate, spicy rye, dense oak, bourbon burn, brown sugar and raisins. Unbelievably complex with every sniff bringing a different treat to my nostrils.

T: Everything i expected! Strong on vanilla with huge roast component. Lots of barrel and bourbon. a sweet caramelized raisin with mocha and roast. bittersweet chocolate morsels. Brown sugar and a little bit of bitter molasses. a bit of anise. Toffee, dark fruit and tobacco with a long finish of alcoholic bourbon and coffee. WOW

M: Thick and creamy. Carbonation doesn't exist, its sludge and i like it that way. Finish is long, slightly bitter and dry.

O: This is a beer that totally lives up to the hype for me. Unbelievable complexity with a mingling of flavors that keeps bringing me back for more. Each sip is an adventure. Pick up, cellar and drink, drink, drink!
/97

01-22-2014 18:53:00 | More by schwemjw
bball208

I get it beer snobs, you don't even like giving beers like this one a perfect 5/5, but let's stop playing around here and let's get real. What more could you ask for? Quit your horsing around, this beer is a 5/5, 10/10, 100/100 whatever you wanna call it, THIS is the best beer in the world

2012 vs 2013 vertical tasting: 2012 highlighted chocolate and a more overall sweetness. Very pleasant. 2013 tasted different, but still very similar. The difference was less chocolate, but more red wine. It actually tasted more like a cab sauv than the previous year. What's up with that? I honestly couldn't pick which tasted better. It's like having to choose between Sexy bitch #1 and Hot bitch #2.

01-22-2014 05:35:04 | More by bball208
James773

4.44/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dark as night. Smells of vanilla, bourbon warmth, a little coffee. Taste is the same; very intense and rich. The mouthfeel is incredible; intensely creamy and thick. The alcohol is quite warm but much more than welcome. I nursed one 12oz bottle for about an hour, but I wasn't such a good judge of how the flavors/aroma changed as it warmed because I was quite buzzed by the bottom of my glass. :)

01-22-2014 02:08:19 | More by James773
MNishCT77

District of Columbia

4.71/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, unknown bottling date but 2013 vintage, shared and drank out of my "Brewing Up a Revolution" NHC 2013 glass over ~30-45 minutes:

A: 3/3 - jet black (cannot read or see through), creamy tan carbonation pours thick and then settles into a subtle glass lacing, large alcohol legs that recirculates on swirling

S: 11/12: intense barrel-aged imperial stout notes - coconut, vanilla, molasses, roasted coffee and bitter chocolate; no hop character on the nose

T: 19/20: on the front of the tongue, the flavor perfectly matches the aroma - dark chocolate, molasses, dark coffee roast, vanilla, coconut and toffee; in the middle of the mouth, the intensity continues with an assault of roasted malts - special roast, roasted barley and dark British malts - and alcohol; mild-to-moderate residual sweetness with a mild aftertaste

M: 5/5 - thick, motor oil-like mouthfeel, big alcohol feel and burn; low carbonation; incredibly creamy and smooth!

O: 19/20 - huge hype surrounds it with good reason; this is definitely one of the best barrel-aged imperial stouts that is an intense sipper and ages exceptionally well; will continue to buy a four pack and age at least one for a vertical tasting; highly recommended!

TOTAL - 47/50

01-22-2014 00:06:23 | More by MNishCT77
TreyIsWilson

4.71/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a midnight black with a thin tan head. Head dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

S - Very nice. Big blast of bourbon,vanilla, and oak. Chocolate comes out as the beer warms.

T - Just like the smell. Lots of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, and oak. There is some alcohol burn in the finish.

M - Thick bodied wit low carbonation. Nice creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol is noticeable, but helps complements the bourbon.

O - This is easily the best stout I've ever had and one of the best beers I've ever had. Simply put it's world class.

01-21-2014 02:43:41 | More by TreyIsWilson
NCalement

4.89/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a goblet.

A- Black, thick with a chocolate head the moves fast. Perfect looking for the style.

S- You can smell it as soon as the cap is popped. Chocolate. bourbon, vanilla, roasted malt, molasses, dark fruits and alcohol. Its amazing.

T- Bourbon, chocolate, dark fruit, tobacco, burnt sugar, alcohol burn and fudge. Very complex and so good.

M- Perfect. Coats the palate and is so good. Hides alcohol well for how high it is.

O- One of the best stouts I've ever had, barrel aged or not. This is a great treat.

01-20-2014 02:09:43 | More by NCalement
BradtheGreat7

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Review taken from notes: Black Friday(November) 2013.

2013 Vintage

12 oz brown bottle with unbelievably grand labeling. I mean this is the stuff of legend. High quality material in a vintage looking light black with bold white lettering only to be shadowed by a shiny golden trim with a darker gold also being displayed along the top and bottom of the bottle. Poured this into a stemmed tulip glass.

A - BCBS pours an outer space black without the stars. I mean this stuff is super jet black with the dark browns struggling to get any sort of view when held to the light. The head actually pours with a bit more size than I'd expect from a stout this size. Dark brown head sits for a moment or 2 before leaving a thin ring of lace leaving minimal if no stick. But who cares.. This is a BBA stout. It looks like its supposed to. Top marks!

S - big blast of caramel and bourbon Booze. Whiffs of vanilla and a hint of smoke. This is a man's stout if I've ever smelled such a thing. Yummmm... The chocolate! Like brownies that just were removed from the oven. A slight coconut but I mean extremely light from the overall vanilla and caramel bourbon aroma. I'm not sure there is a better smell anywhere than a stout of this quality aged in bourbon barrels. This is lovely and really sits its own pace as it warms. Brilliance.

T - a bit more smoke than the nose, but paired with the bourbon character and waves of sweet vanilla, caramel, coconut roast, and just down right delicious chocolate malt it is a stout to die for. The added smoke in the flavor gives off a nice tobacco hint to it and all the flavors go hand in hand with one another leaving you wanting more of BCBS. The finish has some alcohol warming to it from the bourbon and really becomes even more of a giant as it warms.

M - full and massive. Great texture and the thickness any stout drinker craves. The overall feel is thick and extremely smooth. Booziness is detected but basically goes perfectly with the bourbon notes and texture. A little strong as it warms up but a world class stout nonetheless.

O - before getting BCBS home and in my glass I had numerous people tell me I'd like it loads better than a few other massive American imperial/double stouts I've had before. Mind you, that would take loads of class given the experience those stouts presented myself. But never once did I have in mind of comparing BCBS with anything I've had before. I don't think beer should be compared rather than all of it appreciated. But after having a fresh BCBS I can say with complete honesty that its simply one of the best stouts ever brewed. Is it the best? I've had so many its hard to say. What I can say is that BCBS deserves its respect as a true pioneer and great example of what brewing is today in the great country we live in. I just can't give Goose Island enough respect for such an outstanding BBA stout. I suppose I should give InBev a bit of applause as well given there is a whole lot of us who wouldn't have had BCBS in stores without the expansion. So while they didn't create this gem, they did ensure a whole lot of us got a pack in 2013. And I say keep it coming!

01-19-2014 22:36:39 | More by BradtheGreat7
BWED

4.53/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. pour into a wine glass.

A- Black as can be. Dark brown head. Heavy on the legs, but head retention is lacking. It holds this nice, bourbon, leggy character in the appearance.

S- Vanilla and bourbon up front. Very nice. Some chocolate notes come out stronger, the more it warms.

T- Smooth roast with some cocoa notes. Bourbon comes in near the end. After the finish, strong caramel and vanilla pop in for some extra flavor depth.

M- Super thick. Sweet and bourbon burn finish.

O- Amazing. Almost unbearably strong, but so complex. It really lives up to the hype.

01-19-2014 21:56:32 | More by BWED
winningwes91

So I have just gotten into the craft beer scene this past year, and I have to say out of the probably 500 plus beers I've had, this is, by far, the best.

Appearance- Pours like motor-oil, thick (not overly-so), viscous, gorgeous pitch black with a cocoa head that disappeared very quickly.One of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. 5/5

Smell- Holy shit! Bourbon, Chocolate, Coffee, Caramel, Vanilla, Oak and hints of some dark fruits (figs or cherries maybe?). Just a nostril-gasm. 5/5

Taste- Well folks, I just had sex and went to heaven at the same time. Follows the nose perfectly and everything works together in perfect harmony to create this elixir. 5/5

Overall- I'm not one to follow hype, but this beer absolutely delivers/destroys the hype. The best beer I've ever had, hands down. Perfect 5/5. Nothing wrong at all. Would like to see how it ages though.

01-19-2014 05:38:28 | More by winningwes91
zimm421

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. The pour yields a full black color, with a thin brown head that dissipates fairly quickly, but leaves a solid ring around the glass. There's not much lacing left behind.

The nose yields bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark fruit and deep roasted malts. The bourbon is very evident, but there are no hints of alcohol. Very complex and amazing. The taste is full of dark fruits, chocolate, vanilla, oak and bourbon. The dark fruit flavors are really the star up front, but the bourbon quickly comes through in the end to finish things off. There is a little heat in the finish, but it's not until far after the sip is swallowed.

The mouthfeel is very full bodied, with just the right amount of carbonation. The carbonation plays perfectly on the tongue with the thick, nearly syrupy feel. There is lots of stickiness leftover, that sticks around and accompanies the touch of alcohol burn at the end. Overall, this is a wonderful brew, full of deep, complex flavors that I could go back to time and time again.

01-19-2014 01:49:04 | More by zimm421
CowsandBeer

Kansas

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a Blind Tiger Brewery snifter. Bottled on 09/26/2012. Fancy, nicely textured label ( which I really appreciate). Picked up at Jack’s after all the noise died down. Let’s see if this was worth the year + wait.

Appearance: Poured straight down the middle produced a ring of reddish brown head. Not much in the way of lacing but plenty of legs. After a while a still black liquid was all that was left.

Smell: Upfront plenty of sticky, sweet stone fruits. Afterwards a heady aroma of toasted, freshly dumped bourbon barrels. Toasted oak, lots of vanilla, caramel, and butterscotch. Smooth and potent.

Taste: Sticky plums and prunes. Lots of smooth chocolate powder, brown sugar and marshmallows form the stout component. Then that Bourbon County burn. Toasted bourbon soaked oak, vanilla, butterscotch, and toffee. Heavy, but smooth and welcoming.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation with a medium mouthfeel. Heavy heat (not boozy) and very sweet. Slightly cloying.

Overall: Look, it’s ridiculous how hyped this beer is but it’s actually really good. Do yourself a favor, go to your local bar and drink it on tap when it’s there (better on tap than in the bottle, more marshmallow notes) and buy a bottle for later. There’s plenty of bourbon barrel notes with enough stout to back it up. The nose itself is enough to singe your eyebrows and make you perk up.

01-18-2014 06:36:51 | More by CowsandBeer
mrkdwrds

4.64/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle served at 55 F into a Teku glass. This is my first review on BA. There's probably nothing I can say about BCBS that hasn't been said, but here goes.

BCBS pours jet black and with little head; the viscosity is apparent from the pour. It smells like a BA stout should; sweetness, dark fruit, vanilla, etc. Taste is fantastic. There is some heat, but considering the ABV (this bottle is of the 14.9% variety) the heat cannot be considered a flaw. Tons of bourbon-imparted deliciousness on top of a well-crafted base beer. There is an almost umami characteristic that I really like here. The finish leaves a little bourbon heat and some lingering sweetness. The mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating.

Many barrel-aged beers tend to lack integration in my opinion, in that the base beer seems at odds with the barrel character. Bourbon County is one of the finest beers of its kind because it doesn't suffer from this problem. I have had many bourbon barrel-aged stouts, and this is the absolute best when price and availability are factored into the equation. A true masterpiece.

01-17-2014 04:56:42 | More by mrkdwrds
Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.