Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Wants: 2,522
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon County Brand Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,590 | Hads: 10,610
4.12/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz. bottle into Chimay chalice.

A: Black, minimal head (guess I poured too slowly). Tiny ring of foam around edge of glass. Not much lacing to speak of.

S: Oak, coffee, bourbon, vanilla, smoke. Very complex interesting smell.

T: Vanilla and molasses up front. Molasses-y bourbon in the middle, and a smoky coffee/charred oak finish. Kinda creamy as well. Great depth of flavors, but a tad unbalanced (clearly in favor of sweetness). I could see how this could be a good cigar beer as the label indicated.

M: Not a whole lot of carbonation going on here, but that's definitely a good thing for this beer.

D: Drinkability is impressive for the abv.

4.18/5  rDev -6.9%

After much searching and endless self-built hype I finally found this beer at New Beer in NYC.. Pour is as good as it gets for imperial stouts. Solid black, viscous with brown head. Amazing. Aroma is very melty with lots of dark fruity. Black cherry and fig. Very sweet. Flavor is very dark fruit and a chocolaty, rich malt sweetness. It is very, very rich and very, very boozey. The strength of the flavor may take away from it a bit by some. Mouth is also as good as it gets for heavy stouts. Super thick. Viscous like molasses. Also with very crisp carbonation. The beer is so rich that it can be a bit overpowering. Its quite amazing in flavor and mouthfeel, but as far as "drinkability" is concerned, its very boozey and powerful. Certainly a sipper.

4.37/5  rDev -2.7%

Got through a trade with a061183. Thanks for the brews!

Bottled on date says 10/16/08. This one is almost 10 months old. I plan to keep a couple more for aging.

A- Pours a thick jet black color with a thin mocha colored head that quickly recedes into a small ring. Some scattered lacing.

S- Huge aroma of bourbon. Some nice scents of vanilla, bittersweet chocolate and roasted malt.

T- Whoa, this is one bourbony booze bomb! Tons of bourbon vanilla flavor blasting away with reckless force. Major oak and roasted caramel malt flavor that comprise a majority of the taste. Alcohol is quite apparent, although this brew does way in at 13.00%. Probably the most flavorful stout that I have had to date.

M- Full bodied with medium/low carbonation. Thick and chewy.

D- This brew tells you what its going to be like from the get go. "Bourbon County Stout" is exactly that, a huge bourbon flavored stout that doesn't hold back. Drinkable considering the 13% ABV but still boozy.

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

I tried this 2008 version shortly after it was released and thought it was WAY too hot. Since then, I have grown slightly more fond of bourbon aged beers, plus this now has a solid 6 months on it so I figure it is time to re-review. I wasn't going to crack this until January 2010 but I don't have the willpower...

Pours black as night with a small quarter inch dark brown head that scatters quickly leaving swirls that dance upon the top of the beer. Smell is bourbon, bourbon, and more bourbon. Some vanilla, wood, and chocolate too (dipped in bourbon). The taste is a seriously huge mash of bourbon and hops, not near as painful as I remember but still pretty bold even for my further developed palate. Not quite what I would call "harsh" though, which is a positive. Background flavors include chocolate, wood, and burnt caramel. Full bodied and creamy, exactly how an imperial stout should be. This is a big time sipper, not one to be messed with. World class beer with few flaws.

3.94/5  rDev -12.2%

This is the 2008 version

Pours a pitch black heavy ooze. Head is 1 finger, chocolate and rather weak. Head retention and lacing are mediocre at best

Smell is mostly of dark fruit, raisins and figs. Chocolate malt and alcohol are also detected. Hops are very faint and not really in there. Dont get much oak or bourbon but as the beer warms up the alcohol gets stronger

Holy shit this is so rich. First taste is of sweet chocolate Hersheys syrup. Then tons of smoke, oak, vanilla and alcohol come in. The flavors are so strong, they're almost overpowering. Hops are pretty tame and are mostly in the aftertaste. For 13% alcohol, there is a warming sensation and the alcohol is definitely present. Never really got the taste of soy sauce that alot of people talk about in Stouts but this one had a bit of that flavor

Mouth feel is very full. Thick body but wish there was more of a head. Carbonation is also good, not too much there but enough to liven up the beer

Drink ability is above average for a beer this big. I could possibly drink two of these at a time but its definitely a sipper. The flavors are some of the most powerful stuff i've ever had but the overly sweetness and alcohol make it fall just short of the best stouts in the world. Would love to try another one after another year cellered and see how the time changes it

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%

355ml bottle bought from The Bottle, York... 2008 version..

Poured blacker than black even when held up to the light... Dirty mocha brown head poured quite loose and fizzy and faded very quickly to just a ring around the edge... very little lacing..

Aroma - Very strong sweet oaky bourbon to the fore straight away, very woody and earthy, lots of fresh vanilla, roasted malts, hints of tar, cigar smokiness, rich stewed dark fruits (blackcurrents and prunes), molasses and burnt brown sugar, alcohol is pretty noticeable, butterscotch, fresh black pepper

Taste - Tons of roasted and charred malts mixed with strong molasses / black treacle sweetness followed closely by warming bourbon, lots of vanilla, liquorice, defnite cigar / tobacco smokiness, rich dark sweet fruits (prunes, figs, raisins, blackcurrents), very earthy, espresso, soy notes, alcohol definitely comes through, dark chocolate...

Feel - Rich, thick and syrupy... very full bodied.. suprisingly drinkable for a 13% brew although you definitely notice the alcohol after one bottle..

Overall - An exquisite stout and one of the most full flavoured beers i've ever had... highly recommended. I have two more of these and i can't wait to see how they age...

2008 12oz bottle consumed 7/27/09

Appearance: Deep brown, bordering black, with a red brown 2 finger foam head that rapidly dissipates and leaves some swirls of lace.

Smell: Loads of bourbon, charred oak, and hints of vanilla.

Taste: Bourbon and oak throughout. Nice chocolate and vanilla notes in the background.

Mouthfeel: Truly phenomenal creamy medium body with the slightest touch of syrup likeness.

Drinkability: Despite the 13.00% abv, this delicious brew begs to be consumed.

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer never fails to wow me. Bourbon caramel notes on the nose give way to a rich alcoholic malty coffee taste that dances on the tongue. It finishes with an almost-burnt chocolate flavor that rounds out the package nicely. You must drink this beer.

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a 2008 bottle, served in a tulip. The guy before me wrote a kick-ass review; I'd just say "ditto" but I'm determined to write my first review tonight.

Appearance: It's a thick, deep black. It pours like a thick syrup, yielding about a 1/4 inch of deep amber head which quickly disappeared. There is nary a bubble in sight, just an extremely thin rim of foam around the outside of the glass which leaves a very thin lacing when I sip it.

Smell: A perfect score. Butterscotch and caramel hits my nose first, with of course the bourbon aroma always lurking. It's a delicious aroma which begged me to take a sip.

Taste: Initially, the heat of the bourbon was too strong for me. As the beer warmed, the bourbon taste mellowed and blended better into the chocolate malty flavors. I think this beer is best served at around room temperature. There is a slight bitter chocolate flavor that lingers for half a minute or so. Nothing dominates; I think this beer is very well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Warm and syrupy, nicely coating the mouth.

Drinkability: I would have another if I had super-tolerance. It's a great beer. Stick with it if the bourbon overpowers you and let it warm up.

2008 vintage.

A: This one is as black as they come and is really viscous. I've had this before and I know it's hard to get head development going. So I tried a rather aggressive pour into my snifter, but all I got was a minimal layer of dark beige foam that dissipates immediately into a minimal ring of lacings.

S: The smell is amazing. Massive bourbon aromas sit side by side with a wonderful smooth stout base. Vanilla, almonds, oak, licorice and a hint of soy sauce. Some hints of brown sugar and molasses. The roasted malts really need to struggle to keep up with the bourbon, but I think they manage quite well. The bourbon gets a little boozy and I pick up plenty of alcohol fumes.

T: The taste follows suit and surly doesn't disappoint, even though expectations get cranked up by the appearance and smell. The bourbon flavors are really powerful, rich and full, but nonetheless the beer manages to stay balanced. Lots of vanilla and oak with notes of almonds. Hints of sweet licorice. Perhaps a suggestion of soy sauce. The roasted malty character is noticeable but it gets a little hard to detect with all the bourbon notes going on. Nevertheless, the malts manage to create a good balancing point for the powerful bourbon flavors. All in all, the beer has a pleasant balance between sweetness and a salty note. The usual flavors of dark fruits and chocolate are really hard to pick up in this one, but I do think here is a delightful note of truffles. The finish is loaded with boozy and hot alcohol that fits nicely with the sweetness from the bourbon and malts, but it gets a little too much here and there. Wood, notes of salt licorice, a light herbal bitterness and long-lasting bourbon notes round everything up.

M: Very very viscous and smooth - this one is thick like cream. Medium, well suited carbonation. Although both smell and taste is great in this one, the mouthfeel is really the highlight here, it's just that great. It just delivers a sophisticated expression to an otherwise bold and cocky beer.

D: This is a good imperial stout, to say the least. Very powerful with a massive bourbon character. It's quite impressive that it still manages to come of as balanced. However, it's not perfect. Although this is obviously a sipper, the alcohol gets to demanding and overpowering every now and then. And due to the onslaught of the bourbon flavors, the beer looses some complexity.

NOTE: This bottle was about 11 months old. I've sampled a bottle from the same batch when it was reasonably fresh, and although I think it holds up really well with plenty of bourbon still hanging around, I think the bourbon notes have faded just a little bit.

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

A: nearly black, pours thick. Slight delay on forming a light tan head.

S: Bourbon, wood, vanilla, maybe a little fruit.

M: Hard to pull out mouthfeel when there is so much flavor. Doesn't seem too thick even though it's a BIG beer. Good balance.

T: Smoke and wood at first, then roasted malt and vanilla. Some sweet fruit finishes it out an counters it all. Excellent Imperial Stout. I might prefer this over KBS. I do prefer this over Peche Mortel and Older Viscosity.

4.31/5  rDev -4%

Part 2 of 3 in my count down to my 200th review.

Poured from a 2008 bottle (bottled on 10/21/2008 so 9 months to the day since it was bottled). I had this back in February and loved it, and wanted to see how it had changed in the last 9 months.

Poured half into my Darkness Tulip and half into a standard pint glass for my friend who is a self-proclaimed bourbon fiend. I figured he would enjoy this one, so I offered to share some.

Pours a viscous black motor oil like liquid. Black as night. Thick and slimey almost. A good swirl shows one of it's best qualities, the ability to temporarily stain the glass a murky and evil brown. I tried hard to get a nice head, but I failed, barely making a one finger head in my tulip. My buddy, on the other hand, produced a much more impressive one in the pint glass. Decent retention but not much lacing. This is some thick stuff.

The bourbon has definitely dropped off in the last 9 months, but it is definitely still there. I'm kinda shocked at how much this has changed in such a short time. Big bourbon scent with subtle vanilla and oak hints. I get a significant portion of burnt malts and sugars.

Taste is a lot like I remembered, big bourbon punch. Thick and creamy. I get a lot more vanilla and oak than I did in the 2008 bottle I had in February. The bourbon has dropped off a bit, but there is shadows of it's former self. I get bitter chocolate, bourbon and vanilla. My friend commented on how this would make a great dessert beer. I would agree with that.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. It slides around your mouth, coating it much like it coats the glass. I've never had motor oil, but I would imagine this is the same consistency as that.

While the 13% is barely noticeable, the drinkability definitely takes a hit in this one. It's not that it's hard to drink, it's just the consistency of the liquid coupled with the big flavor. Besides, if you chug this you deserve a slap in the face.

I would recommend this to someone who loves big beers and bourbon. I have only gotten into bourbon in the last half year or so, and I definitely didn't enjoy this as much in February as I did this time around

1.52/5  rDev -66.1%

I got this from a wine/beer shop where the owner said he'd heard good things about this one but hadn't tried it yet. Well, he won't hear anything good from me. I don't remember the last time I didn't finish a beer. Just dreadful bleck. A friend with me shared my opinion.

This beer either represents the Emporers New Clothes of craft beer or there was something wrong with this bottle. It looked a fine dark brown/black. The smell was of molasses, burned things,raw alcohol and more burned molasses. A hint of overheated radiator was one of the better scents. The taste was big and layered, but the waves of burned sugar, gloppy sorghum, alcohol, just kept coming like a string of plague rats jumping into my mouth. I'm not sure of the mouthfeel, as I was too busy thinking of ways to apologize to my tongue.

If you took a Guinness and let it bounce around in your car trunk for a summer spent in the desert, added various burned molasses concoctions and some bourbon you had washed your feet in, you might approximate the flavor. This is the Edsel of beers in my opinion, and I am a huge fan of big stouts.

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

vintage 2008 on tap at the Clybourn brewpub on July 19th 2009. pours an opaque black with a single finger of rich dark brown head into a snifter. the brew itself is a bit thinner in consistency than the previous batches.

aroma is very rich with woody, maple syrup, and heavily roasted notes up front, and a base of earthy bourbon and wood. dark chocolate and a bit of alcohol are in the background. there is tons going on in the profile, with an overwhelming richness and concentration. the aroma gets a bit more roasted upon a bit of warming, with a bit more alcohol as well.

taste is quite rich and syrupy with warming oaked and creamy black malt. other notes include dark chocolate, bourbon, wood, coconut, vanilla cream and a light alcoholic tinge on the finish. not much changes over warming except a bit more booze in the finish. wonderfully rich on the palate.

mouthfeel is super-full bodied and surupy in texture, with a distinct creamy finish that is unique from the previous batches. very thick and warming on the palate.

drinkability is decent. a beer this big and complex is inherently less drinkable than lighter counterparts, but the profile is very rich and full of all the right notes (long story short, if this brew can stand up to the spicy sriracha wings with wasabi aioli, it can stand up to anything!). the earthy and oaked notes smooth out any alcoholic bite and syrupy texture into a complete package that is unmatched in sheer size and richness. cheers!

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Deep dark and luxurious pour. It was the aroma that got me hooked, though. Vanilla from the Bourbon barrels - and I'm not sure I'm supposed to say where the barrels are from but I'll divulge it anyway - Pappy Van Winkle!! This is a dessert beer. Have it with a brownie. I had it after dinner at a bar and it was one of those times where I got up out of my stool, carried the beer to a far corner and had a quiet moment alone with it. It was necessary.

The mouthfeel was unctuous. The flavors - rich, slightly sweet, but with such alcohol driven power - it was quite the experience for all the senses. This will have to rate among my top ten beers of all time.

Matlida is a great beer, but this one was my special favorite...

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

2008 Bourbon County Stout

Poured into a large wine glass.

A- Black, barely any head. Slim off-white color head skimming the top. Some hints of red.

S- Pretty power smell of bourbon. Somewhat overwhelms the smell. Some hints of vanilla, fig, generally dark fruit. However, there is something off-putting about the smell, something just not quite right. Not sure what it is, but it does impact how enjoyable it is.

T- Bourbon! However, not as overpowering as the smell. Much more balanced and smooth. There are also some chocolate notes, as well as raisin and cherry notes. The bourbon taste continues to tone down the longer it is in the glass.

M- Thick, but smooth. Great warm alcohol taste at the end of the mouthfeel.

D- The smell a the beginning made it difficult to get into the beer, but once you actually taste it, it is surprisingly drinkable. If you hate bourbon, this might not be your thing.

Overall, very solid beer. Great taste once you get past the odd smell.

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a bottle from October 10, 2008. Props to my girlfriend for buying me this while in chicago. Splitting this beer with my dad.

A pitch black treat comes pouring from the bottle into my snifter with a brown head that sits on top. There is some lace, but the head retention is not great. Gotta love motor oil!

Lots of bourbon, coffee, and oak hits my nose. Then chocolate and vanilla.

A great tasting brew. Bourbon and vanilla up front, followed by some roasted coffee and chocolate, then bourbon again in the finish, which leaves my tongue tingling as I wait for the next sip. As it warms there is some fruitiness too.

I love how this beer just leaves my mouth tingling. So many flavors so little time. There is a creaminess and fullness to this beer. The drinkability is pretty good. I would love to have more than one but don't want to put a big dent in my stash.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz. brown bottle with the bottled on date clearly marked on the back label. Mine said bottled on 10/05/08 and I opened it on 7/16/09, so it was just over 9 months old when I tried it. The Goose Island website said it will keep for 5 years, so I was well within the optimum tasting range.

The pour was black as oil with a slight purple tinge when held to light. There was absolutely no head, foam, or lacing anywhere to be found.

The smell was a heavenly mix of bourbon, chocolate, and caramel. I couldn't wait to taste it.

This is one delicious beer. Bourbon is the predominent flavor but it is not overwhelming. Chocolate and caramel malts along with a burnt wood barrel and coffee-like flavor add to the deliciousness. The addition of Willamette hops gives this beer a 60 on the IBU scale and helps to balance out all the sweet flavors.

The mouthfeel is smooth and full bodied with just enough moderate carbonation to make this easy to drink. The high alcohol content of 13% warms the throat and keeps this beer a sipper for sure, but if it didn't give me a head buzz after just one glass, I could have downed these all night.

This was my first crack at a barrel-aged bourbon beer and all I can say is that either Goose Island did one hell of a job with this one or else bourbon style beer is going to be one of my favorite styles from now on.

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

2006 bottle. St. Bernardus goblet.

Rough pour yields no head. It's black as pitch, and looks viscous. There's a thin tan ring around the edge.

Smooth but strong scent. Spicy oak. Leather. Vanilla, tobacco. Bourbon -- but it's not overwhelmingly boozy.

Very difficult to divorce taste from mouthfeel because this is so viscous. But gods, it's delicious. Leather, vanilla and oak dominate up front, with the alcohol providing a warmth much like that of a bourbon, but never dominating the taste. It's spicy at the middle and finishes with a deep, burnt chocolate/coffee flavor. I can't do this justice in description. It is simply delicious. I desperately wish I lived in a place where this beer was available. It may soon taste of salt, for I know it will be my last for a long, long time.

Motor oil thick on the palate, but with just a smidge of carbonation, even after 3 years. It's thick as hell and sticky, but manages to finish surprisingly clean, coating the palate just enough to make me reach for the glass again. The alcohol gives it a nice whiskey warmth that rushes through the sinus cavities after it's swallowed. Invigorating.

I dunno, is a beer like this *ever* "drinkable"? It's a sipper for sure, but a damn good one.

4.49/5  rDev 0%

Pours thick black, almost no foam. Nose is of rickhouse, oak, bourbon, vanilla, coffee, alcohol...something I can't quite put my finger on...cheap licorice! Taste of all the same things, finishes big with a nice medium roasted coffee taste. Not particularly bitter, or dry and surprisingly sweet. Second taste brings a strong essence of chocolate at the front. Wow. BIG beer. This glass is gonna take a while.

3.85/5  rDev -14.3%

I'd heard about this beer, but was completely unaware that it rated so highly when I had it at Viggo's, so thanks for sharing, man! That said, I think my ignorance helps remove any potential hype around this one, and even after that I have to admit its a pretty damn good beer.

Very dark brown pour, with limited retention and no lace. Roasty nose with a bourbon spiciness and alcohol underneath. Interesting flavour - obviously lots of bourbon, but with caramel peat and brown sugar thrown in. Mostly bourbon, though, and a nice one. Very solid body, quite chewy and thick with low carbonation. Its pretty damn drinkable for an impy, but the alcohol is damn dangerous.

Cheers Eric!

4.17/5  rDev -7.1%

2008 Vintage - Served in Brandy Snifter

A - SRM 50 Black sludge-looking liquid pours ominously into the Brandy snifter. The beer was poured at moderate-pace, so head was not even finger-thick. The color of it though looks a smoked dark hue, which gives the appearance of roasted coffee. It fizzles down pretty quickly, which indicates lower levels of carbonation and when swirled, leaves little lacing.

S - Sweet vanilla mixes with the boozy esters of Bourbon and caramel. Smoked woody character attempts to balance out the sweet malt. A toasty character also comes through, though no hops are evident.

T/M/D - Full-bodied beer with sludgy mouth-feel that coats the palate thoroughly with rich vanilla, caramel and a kiss of hops. The finish is very wet with a lingering caramel/vanilla/chocolate mix of malt. The bourbon comes on strong and the booziness definitely warms the body and provides a slight sting in the top of the mouth. Bourbon-aspects also come through, which is what provides the aforementioned sting. This beer definitely hits the extreme levels of beer and drinkability is one at most. This beer is meant to be sipped over a long cold evening, though one can drink the beer indoors at night over a long movie in the confines of air conditioning.

C - A very complex beer that requires a lot of respect by the drinker. At 13% ABV, I definitely won't be having another!!!

2.77/5  rDev -38.3%

Pours out an oily, thick crude with just a slight tan covering for a head

I could smell this big brew while pouring it; booze, cherries, bourbon, vanilla, coffee

Taste & Mouthfeel
Wow! A lot going on here... First I'm struck by the milk-like softness in the texture and the low carbonation; next comes the flavor, which is a lot of bourbon on top of big stout flavors; pretty hot, and weighing in at 13%, it's definitely a sipper; not a fan of the flavors here...just too bourbony, making it one-dimensional

Not being a fan of bourbon/whisky, I just am not getting into this beer. It's so heavy and boozy, with the bourbon really overpowering the profile, that I don't even think I can finish half the bottle!

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours nearly black with thick but vanishing head. Lacing clings to glass. No light at all passes through the glass. Aroma of bourbon overpowers all others. Better try this one sitting down or it will knock you over! The label proclaims <i>"One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer"</i> and they are not kidding. Thick bodied, with powerful bourbon flavor with notes of chocolate and coffee. This is some strong stuff, meant for sipping, which is good because at that strength you aren't going anywhere soon I hope. Very good!

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours very dark, with a brown tinge at the top when held to the light, otherwise pretty much black. Head is not very existent, with a ring of ochre foam around the edge. Lacing is not very prominent but good and sticky. Looks pretty nice, for all its faults.

Nose is actually very sweet, with a toasted coconut aroma being dominant, aspects of dark, syrupy grain infusion underneath, a marshmallow hint and of course a rich chocolatey character. Really, that smells like a Bounty® Bar - chocolate and coconut. Slightly tart as well as very sweet and toasted. I don't know if I like it that sweet, but otherwise immaculate.

Taste is also sweet, with again a toasted coconut flavour and some more nutty hints of pecan and walnut. Sweet chocolate comes through with a milky cocoa goodness, kind of threatens to turn tart with some prune character on the mid and a good hit of oak as well. Still just sweet. Finish is a little bit toasty, maybe very slight roasty bitterness but none of that gritty espresso I'm used to. Just sweet, roasty and yummy.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and velvety with just a little alcohol warmth on the back. This is perhaps a little sweet to be drunk all the time, but it's so outrageously tasty otherwise.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.