Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Bourbon County Templeton Rye | Goose Island Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by XmnwildX12 on 12-13-2013

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 117
3.89/5  rDev -12.8%

16 oz. growler. Black body with no head. Smells of whiskey, brown sugar, and fudgy chocolate. Boozy. Tastes much like regular bourbon county up front. Whiskey and sweet chocolate. Boozy. The rye whiskey makes itself a little more apparent with a slight spice that lingers in the finish. Nutty malts and very sweet. Heavy. No carbonation, because of the source of the growler. Doesn't detract, though. Tingly alcohol. Very similar to regular Bourbon County. Just a bit different.

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

another fantastic taken on this great legendary brew, done in templeton rye barrels, which as a spirit i have always found just a little sweet for my whiskey palate, but in the beer it does wonderful things. hard to compare this to the rare, done in pappy 23 barrels in the same session, but its cool to do a little side by side with these. the same dark brown almost black heavyiy viscous beer in the glass, a little more head than others, maybe not quite as old in the barrel, more lively in look and indeed in feel than several other variations have been, which helps lighten it up just enough, but its still bourbon county, still a monster, no doubt about that. the rye is immediately noticiable in smell and taste. it starts with that sweet, slightly spicy, or more aggressive grain spirit character, and it carries through, bringing out bitterness in the malt and more of the dark chocolate flavors than others. it also helps the beer finish really sweet, more sugar than vanilla it seems in this one, and it is mellowed very well by the oak. i get some tobacco notes, dried fruits, cocoa, and the booze, its a complex beer, not as mature and luxurious i wouldnt say as the rare edition, but i love rye, and i love what it does to the beer in the absence of all the fruit that was in the other rye editions. did they package this one? i had it from a tap and it was delicious.

4.81/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Rapidly receding head covering a jet black stout that no light shines through.

S- This is the most interesting smell that I've ever experienced with a beer. This was all richness, dessert, and bourbon. Plenty of vanilla and oak are present.

T- This has me torn between 4.75 and 5. Stout and bourbon intermingle in a heavenly partnership. All of the vanilla and richness make this a legendary stout.

M- Sticky in a very good way, crisp in an impressive way, pleasant booze with none of the heat.

O- I wasn't sure that I was going to try this due to Goose Island being purchased by InBev. I reconciled it by telling myself that I spend the remainder of my beer money on microbrews. I am certainly glad that I broke down and went for it. This was an epic introduction for me to the world of bourbon stouts. I like bourbon , I like stout, and I love this bourbon stout.

4.59/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap during Black Friday at Clybourn

A- Looks like BCBS always does

S - Smells of soft rye whiskey that I expect from Templeton balanced with chocolate and vanilla. The rye has a strong presence that is stronger than I get in normal BCBS

T - Soft vanilla and caramel up front before the rye spiciness comes thru as well as some slight alcohol burn presence. Dark fudgy chocolate. The rye spiciness lingers on in the finish to give the beer some spice to it.

M - Creamy smooth up front with a light burn and astringency to it in the finish

O - This is like regular BCBS but has more bite and alcohol than regular does. The rye makes itself more than the bourbon does.

Bourbon County Templeton Rye from Goose Island Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.