The Ogden - Goose Island Beer Co.

The OgdenThe Ogden

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Belgian Style Tripel brewed with Citra, Brewers Gold and Saaz hops.

(Beer added by: dwagner003 on 01-10-2014)
3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at McNellie's OKC. Pours a hazy gold with a nice finger of white foam. Some lacing on the glass. The cold pour probably keeps the aroma down, but the yeasty barnyard funk, spice and tropical fruit is evident. Wow, those come through in the taste, but the banana and cloves really trigger the taste buds. The malt and hops balance very well. You get a touch of Belgian yeast on the end of the aftertaste. Medium mouth. I really, really enjoy this beer, and how everything comes together so well.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

I picked up a bottle of Goose Island's The Ogden last week for $3.79 at Boyne Country Provisions. I tried this beer recently at a local beer festival and I really liked it and I thought I would pick up a bottle so I could give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks good, it's got a clean and classy look to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured hazy bright golden color that took on more of a darker golden hue when held to the light with about two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the Belgian yeast being the first to show up and and it impart some nice banana, clove and estery aromas and they lead right into the hops that impart some great and citrus and tropical fruit aroma with some nice orange juice and pineapple like aromas coming through that work nicely with the yeast. Up next comes a slight alcohol aroma followed by some lightly bready and sweet malt aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma, the citra hops works really with the Tripel base.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the Belgian yeast still being the first to show up and they impart the same nice aspects that they did in the aroma with the banana aspect showing up just enough and it leads right into some great citra hop flavors that impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the citrus rind, orange juice and pineapple flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the alcohol which is noticeably and it got to be just a little boozy once it warmed up and it's followed by the same malty aspects that I got in the aroma. On the finish there's a slightly lighter amount of medium bitterness with a nice Belgian yeast and citra hops aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, just like the aroma the Belgian yeast works really well with the citra hops.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, slightly refreshing, fairly crisp, a little boozy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that worked nicely with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it was a good and unique example of a Tirpel, it's still very identifiable as a Tripel, the citra hops don't take away from it, in fact I find that they work really nicely with the Belgian yeast and the Tripel base. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, slightly sticky, slightly refreshing, a little boozy, fairly crisp, not too filling and the taste did a pretty nice job at holding my attention, but I think the alcohol would start to wear on me after awhile so I think two would be my limit, but I think it make for a nice summer time beer. What I like the most about this beer was how well the citra hops worked with the Belgian yeast, they turned out to be a pretty good match. What I liked the least about this beer was boozy aspect, I wish it was hidden just a little better, but it isn't that big of a deal. I would buy this beer again if I saw it and I would recommend it to most be people who like tripels, I think it's worth giving a try. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, i didn't know how well with citra hops would work with a Tripel, but they turned out to be a pretty nice match. It isn't my favorite Goose Island beer or my favorite Tripel, but it's still a good beer and I like how unique it is. Good job guys, this turned out to be one tasty beer, keep up the great and unique work.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.51/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a Harpoon 100 barrel series glass.

A: Golden in color with a mild haze. Fine bubbled white head retains at about an inch in height. Lacing is wispy.

S: Strong citra presence. Pulpy, mashed mango. Wet leaves. Pineapple and bubblegum esters. Chalky yeast with faint traces of white pepper. Doughy,lightly honeyed malt base.

T: Oily hop bitterness. Herbal and spicy. Bitter phenols and spicy alcohol too. Pineapple esters. Chalky yeast. Honeyed malt. Citra hops bring wet leaves and herbal spice and tropical notes of mango and tangerine. Alcohol and phenols on the finish.

M: Medium bodied. Creamy with some malt firmness. Carbonation is stiff but gentle with a lot of lifting and scrubbing action.

O: It's a bit rough around the edges and even sharp at times. The alcohol and phenols aren't really over the top or completely off-putting, but they distract a little. The hopping is ample and notable, but doesn't really fit in and complement as it should. Not a bad brew, just lacks some cohesion and plays a little roughly.

The Ogden from Goose Island Beer Co.