Endless IPA - Goose Island Beer Co.

Endless IPAEndless IPA

good

pDev: 14%
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Long days and warm nights awaken the city. The list of neighborhood festivals is endless. As is the great music that brings us together in parks and parking lots. We brewed our Session IPA to be easy drinking and endlessly refreshing, so you can enjoy every encore. Bright note of fresh oranges and other citrus fruit with a mild body that is crisp on the palate.

(Beer added by: Zaphog on 03-21-2014)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.55/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Goose Island's Endless IPA last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. It seems like there were a few different session IPA's that just recently came out and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty similar to a lot of their other small format bottles, I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a fairly clear bright yellow color that took on more of a brighter golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some spotty patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I really liked the bright yellow color.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a quick fruity aroma with some apricot showing up and it's quickly followed by this unusual bell pepper and vegetable aroma, it reminds of the how it smells when you stand over the peppers in the produce section of a grocery store and the pepper aromas blend in with all the other fruit and vegetable aromas, that's exactly what I think of when I smell it. Up next comes earthy and spicy hops aromas followed by a very light pale malt and sweet malt like aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, I didn't love it, but it was very unique and I don't think I've tried a beer that had a similar aroma.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by those fruity hop aspects being the first to show up and they are still pretty apricot like and it's followed by that same unusual vegetable aspect that I got in the aroma with the red bell pepper flavors really showing up. Up next comes some earthy and spicy hop flavors with just a slight sweet malt aroma on the finish with a very low amount of bitterness and it had a fruity hop and red bell pepper like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer that seemed to be just as unusual as the aroma, I didn't love it, but I certainly didn't hate it.

M- Smooth, a little clean, crisp, a little refreshing, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a I thought it was a decent and very unusual example of a Session IPA, it had the drinkability and lightness that I expect from the style, but the bitterness was hardly noticeable and while the hope profile sure was interesting, I found it to be a little confusing. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, a little clean, crisp, a little refreshing, not filling at all and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could probably drink a couple of these, but I don't know if the flavor would wear on me after that and I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy in the spring time. What I liked the most about this beer was how unique it was, there's no confusing this for your average Session IPA and I don't think I've had a beer that's tasted like this before. What I liked the least about this beer was that it didn't have a little more traditional hop flavors and bitterness, I think a little more bitterness would help make this a better Session IPA. I would buy this beer again, I don't think I would buy a six pack, but I wouldn't mind keeping a couple around and I think it would be interesting to see how some of my friends react to it. I would recommend this to someone looking for a unique beer, but I don't think it has all the quality's that a great Session IPA should have. All in all I didn't mind this beer, it's far from being a favorite, but it was a pretty unique and memorable beer and I appreciate that. I'm pretty sure it was the hops that imparted that red bell pepper flavor and I would pretty interested to know what kind of hops they used in this beer. It's not my favorite Session IPA or Goose Island Beer, but I don't think it's a bad beer by any means. Nice job guys, keep up the solid and unique beers.

3.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Fresh and fruity hop character on this one, esp. in the taste. Finely bittered without excess with pleasing bittering flavor and long lingering.
Golden to amber in color quite clear and nice firm white head. Lighter feel with ample carbonation leaving a filling feel.
The smaller size does impact feel and malt character, but this is nicely drinkable and still holding an IPA quality. Good for warmer season.

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. The label lists the abv at 5% abv and 35 ibu.

Appearance: It has a good deep golden colored body with great clarity and some visible carbonation. From the pour it sets up a nice thick white head of foam. This foamy head holds on well and makes tons of cool lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma has a sweet mandarin orange like citrus character with lighter malty bread and grainy notes underneath.

Taste / Palate: The flavor is hop forward but now more lemony than the nose suggested and herbal, almost tea like notes pop out on my tongue. Malt character is cracker like and white bready like. It also adds plenty of sweetness. The finish has a short funky herbal bitterness fading off the tongue.

4.28/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber with a thick off white head. Mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Pine, hops and mild citrus

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of pine and hops.

Overall: OK brew. Probably not going to buy this one again.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Deep gold to amber in color. Great clarity and a fingernail of eggshell white foam covers the vast majority of the top. Brussels lacing. Aroma is comprised of grassy to light pine hops. There is coppery malt flavor with a piney hop bite at the back of the palate. The mouth is crisp and refreshing.

4.16/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tall pint glass. Bottled on date of March 14, 2014.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Big three finger white head that slowly fades into a thin creamy layer. Lots of lacing.

Smell: A ripe, juicy, and piney hop forward aroma with big hints of citrus and pine. Upfront earthy and herbal hops with hints of pine resin and grass. Citrus hop hints of orange, grapefruit, and lemon. Soft malt background with hints of grains, cracker, wheat, and yeast. Very hop forward and piney. Pretty solid scent.

Taste: Like it smells, a piney, ripe, and juicy hop dominated taste with big notes of pine, grass, and orange. Big taste of earthy and herbal hops with upfront notes of pine resin and wet grass. Citrus hop presence with some notes of orange, lemon, and grapefruit. Backing presence of soft pale malt with notes of cracker, grains, wheat, and yeast. Very forward with the hops. Nicely drying. A pretty solid taste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Juicy, drying, and somewhat oily. Pretty smooth.

Overall: A pretty solid session IPA. Good piney and grassy notes with a smooth and clean body.

4.56/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

---Guest review by my brother---
Appearance - poured into a nonic pint glass, the beer showed a light golden amber color and nice persistent head. Nice lacing while drinking.

Smell - Smells strongly of what I can only call 'weed smell.' Earthy smell with some grass and pine scents.

Taste - Starts with a wheat-like flavor that quickly changes to that 'weed hop' earthy taste finishing off pretty quickly with some flowery notes. Has a sort of 'echo' of the wheat flavor after the finish.

Mouthfeel - The beer is pretty light carbonated and medium-light bodied. Mouth feel is great, doesn't have that particular feeling hops can leave on your tongue that turns many off of IPAs.

Overall it's a very refreshing beer. Light and crisp this is a beer that could quell a summer thirst with a taste that doesn't bore after a bottle or two.

3.76/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm always hesitant to try the Goose Island stuff brewed in Baldwinsville, NY/Fort Collins, CO. I saw this Endless IPA, and realized it was new to their lineup along with the Rambler red IPA. Appears a pale copper with a beige off white head, leaves behind evenly dispersed lacing. Aroma has some citrus notes, a bit of dankness, pale malt bready qualities and more pungent grapefruit peel. Flavors have a tart citric note, light airy malt backbone, ample sweetness actually quite refreshing and easy to drink. Clean hop bitterness, a bit funky, floral, citric I'm game for a few glasses of this. Mouthfeel is light bodied even flowing carbonation goes down great slightly slick hop oils. Amazing one of their lowest rated offerings, I find quite enjoyable.

3.45/5  rDev -1.4%

Undated 12 oz bottle.
Clear amber body covered by a durable off-white head. Some nice lacing is left on the glass.

Aroma: markedly hoppy with notes of resin, grass, and herbs. Hop mix is not very appealing.

Flavor: given the aroma, surprisingly mild hop level (think pilsner) and bitterness (IBU = 35). Hop mix works much better upon tasting. Grassy aftertaste.

Feel: medium body and carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Endless IPA from Goose Island Beer Co.