Summertime - Goose Island Beer Co.

SummertimeSummertime

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Kölsch |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Quaffer on 08-08-2001

Sunshine color, grass aroma, bread and lemon flavor, light body.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Summertime Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,198 | Reviews: 483
2.04/5  rDev -41.2%

Appearance: Light golden yellow color, with a small blonde head.
Aroma: Light white orange smell.
Flavor: Very light wheat orange flavor, non-hoppy. Medium to light bodied, good carbonation.
Overall: Not a good beer. Very harsh finish. The more you drink, the less of it you want.

2.05/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 4.5

I drank this from the tap into a pint glass.

The beers pours a dright, clear, fizzy pee colored gold with a white head. Has no lacing.

It doesn't smell like anything and tastes the same.

It tastes like water, utterly horrible. It looks like a bud light and tastes like natty light.

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

There's still snow on the ground, and Summertime Kölsch is on the shelves. Seems crazy, but why not pick up a single?

Pours a clear yellow to gold color with a one finger foamy white head with decent retention and lacing. Smells like lemon, with grassy and herbal hops, and biscuit malt. Not exactly my favorite combination of ingredients.

Tastes much like it smells with lemon, grassy and herbal hops, and biscuit malt. Some sweetness, with bitterness and tartness. Overall, not working for me.

Light bodied with plenty of carbonation. Nothing special here. I have had many better Kölsch's than this one.

2.38/5  rDev -31.4%

Pretty disappointing. Not very refreshing (I poured one cold and another just cool), nor is it particularly smooth. I found some citrus notes but just barely. Aromas are non-existent, Mouthfeel was good, and while taste was not unpleasant, I certainly won't reach for this beer again unless my only other option is Bud Light Lime. Drinkability is fine, but this beer is just boring.

2.42/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours a golden yellow in color with a mild haze to it. No head retention, dry and fizzy looking.

The nose is malty, and I notice some faint fruitiness that reminds me of orange peel, limes, maybe rotten apples, and coriander. Some sort of souring odors.

The taste is quite boring, almost non-existent. A touch of citrus comes through, but not in a hoppy way. Gosh, this is one of the boringest beers Ive had in long, long time.

The mouthfeel is very light-bodied and has a crisp refreshing effect. This one is easily drinkable, just not that great tasting.

2.46/5  rDev -29.1%

The beer looked wonderful. It was a little couldy but it had a beautiful white head and laced wonderfully.

The smell was ok. It was full of grains and a little malt.

The taste reminded me of what straw would taste like. It tastes like there was a lot of wheat malt used in this. There wasn't much sweetness and it wasn't very refreshing to me.

Not enjoyable.

2.5/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer disappoints all the way around. Standard macro-beer appearance. Poured into a tall glass, as the bottle recommends. But it looks like a Bud in a tall glass. Little, thin head. Lots of carbonation.

Stale smell. Maybe a slight touch of lemon, but mostly a metallic, artificial quality.

OK, it may have a tiny touch of the German flavor they were striving for. This may just be a unique style that I'm not used to. But mostly I'm just getting a blah, bland tasting beer, like it's made of rice.

My brother-in-law usually drinks Bud and he had one of these when he came over. He didn't mind it. I can't say I hate it, but it's no better than an average macro-brew. I don't think it's undrinkable, I just don't think it's to be reccomended.

2.52/5  rDev -27.4%

I had this from a bottle. It poured very similar to a macro lager. Yellow with a bit of pure white head. No lace to speak of. Smell is malty with hints of grain. Taste seems unbalanced. This beer really seems like its lacking something. There is no pop. It just sits on your tongue. Its a thin beer that needs help if you want to drink more than one in a sitting.

One thing I will say about this beer. I purchased it to pair with smoked BBQ ribs. It did pair well with it, but I was looking for something thiner and refreshing. Of the Kolsch's that I have drank, this is one of the less appealing. I wish more breweries would attempt to make this style. Goose Island is a quality brewery, but fell short on this beer.

2.63/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottle: Poured a golden color Kolsch with an average pure white foamy head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma consists of some semi-sweet malt with not much else to report. Taste is a mix between some semi-sweet malt without the grainy aspect and no distinctive feature form the yeast which is usually the case with this style. Average at best and not something I would like to try again.

2.63/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured into the Sam Adams Lager glass. After pouring, I noted that the freshness date read 09/08/07, which may reflect the quality of the beer's review.

Appearance: Pours a straw yellow color with very minimal head. Some lacing is left on the glass as I swish it around. When held up to the light, the straw color is accentuated. There appears to be very little carbonation in this beer.

Smell: The smell is faint, but I detect some hints of citrus, along with malts. Nothing complex.

Taste: It starts out with a slightly hoppy bitterness, which has some sweet undertones of citrus and malt. It gives way to a somewhat metallic aftertaste, which lingers a little longer than I'd like it. The beer itself is flat, and lacks carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Thin, flat, and somewhat lifeless. There's nothing exciting about this. I wonder if keeping this in the fridge as long as I did contributed to this.

Drinkability: These are thin and unobtrusive, so it'd be easy to drink a lot. However, as detailed, the experience isn't all that exciting, so I can't imagine quaffing this in large quantities.

I don't remember the other bottles being this bland. As mentioned, it was about two weeks past its freshness date, so that may have played a part. I probably should give this another shot some day, just to be fair.

2.69/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured from the bottle into a Gaffel Kolsch stange glass.

Large fluffy white head off the pour that sits about three to four fingers tall. Body is extremely clear with some large carbonation bubbles visible. Body color is a pale golden, but extremely clear. I am not to impressed by this. Some minor sticking for lacing but not much.

Smell is off putting immediately. Crummy stale/sour bread and some over cooked boiled veggie. Not liking it.

Taste... while not off putting strangely weak until the swallow. Mid palate is a little wet but mostly extremely weak tasting, with not much flavor. A good finish though but that's about it giving some baked bread tastes, but it doesn't come back after repeated sips.

Overall this is a pretty disappointing Kolsch, and personally have had much better. Perhaps on tap it might be better but till then this is all I got to go on.

2.69/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours clear, bright yellow with a big head of white foam that fell fast and left very impressive lace. Plenty of effervescing. Nose is lemon citrus on a mild bread malt base. Some grass and hay and some surprising yeast funk. Light grains and a little corn. Body is very thin almost watery. Taste is so light it’s practically not there. Malt has the promise of grain but it’s weak and it’s also not that sweet so no caramel. It opened up just slightly as it warmed with a sweeter malt nose and palate. Hops fade out to some faint yeast spice character and it’s weak in every way. No bite, no bitter, no aftertaste except for a strange malty aftertaste that reminds one of modeling clay. Colored water.

2.7/5  rDev -22.2%

Beer poured from bottle into Hefeweizen glass

A - Beer poured with a one finger white colored foam; plenty of carbonation visible; clear gold body not much lacing stuck to the side of the glass; head dissipated at a steady rate

S - Citrus-lime bitterness; lager-esk light clean, almost crisp scent; hint of grains, corn; almost an awkward smell, kind of chemical

T - Splash of lime taste; fruit-citrus flavors; almost champagne like in flavor (bubbly with a light fruit taste; taste does not linger for long; slight grapefruit sourness

M - Crisp punch with a thin consistency; effervescent; not much bite in flavor

D - If you don't want a wimpy macro for the summer time, aka Summer Shady, you can take a stab at this guy; I'll pass

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Slightly hazy pale yellow with minimal white head, which fades quickly.

Smells sweet, malty, corn-y, a little bit floral. Taste is more of the same with some fruitiness and grapes in the background. The flavors do not go well together. Light and watery mouthfeel and low carbonation. Excessively dry finish. Its drinkability owes more to its lack of strong flavor than any positive characteristics.

The smell and taste of this brew reminds me of an American adjunct lager. To me it tastes more like a bad pilsener than a kolsch. No thanks. I have not been impressed by Goose Island in the past, and this brew only changed my opinion for the worse.

A - clear yellow (~6 SRM)... soapy white head, lasts well... lacing ok

S - grainy, some lemon & other fruity esters, wheat

T - some lemon, some nectarine, some floral hops... finish is tart, slightly metallic

M - light body to very light body... medium carbonation, not quite pins & needles, but fizzy... somewhat dry on the finish

D - I don't know much about the style, but it appears to foot the bill. Reminds me of a mild Germain Pils. Not a big fan of the nose or taste. Might be better after yard work on a hot day.

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a typical light lager kolsch colour. not much head to speak of which is dissapointing in a Kolsch.

s-pretty bland, slight charocoal

T-Wierd charocoal like taste that reminds me of fat tire. Plenty of non Kolsch flavours here, distinct lack of fruitiness that i enjoy in a Kosch.

M-Light bodied with a lower level of carbonation than the style should have.

D- I have been drinking a lot of Kolsch this summer and this one just was not doing it for me. Pretty mediocre at best

2.77/5  rDev -20.2%

Happy to get this through a couple trades, thanks go out to the Midwesterners.
12oz bottle poured into wine glass at Thai byob restaurant.

A: Cornlike, crystally yellow with plenty of bubbles. Bright white head with strong retention. Good looking kolsch.

N: Not much of anything. Really need to seek out the malts, not much heartiness. Minimal fruitiness and spices climbing to mostly lemon as it warmed.

T: Definitely shined more when it was crisp and cold than when it warmed. The malts more here than in the nose and the lemons were again the dominant flavor. Still a lack of any of that backended german bite I was expecting and no sense of alcohol.

M: Spritzy and thin. Could use more body.

D: Probably my least favorite GI so far and I had anticipated it for a while. Not horrible, but not something Id trade for again.

If you handed me one on a summer day or the beach Id be happy to drink it but not anything out of the ordinary.

2.78/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale shiny gold. Steady bead. Head is white, creamy foam bubbles around the edge. Bit of lace sticks to the glass. Not terrible, but a bit bland and uninteresting.

Smells pretty beery. Herby, a bit grainy, with a touch of metal. Touch of medicine as well. Don't like it, though, much at all. Almost unpleasant, and largely bland.

Taste is pretty bland too. Grainy, sweet, pretty insipid. Gets even sweeter on the back with slight fruity note but lots of caramel, vanilla I guess, a bit of cereal, corn maybe and yeah a bit of that mediciney note. Mostly just a bit bland. Don't love it.

Not too bad a feel. Bit thick and stolid, not a lot of texture though.

Drinkable enough. Bit sweet, but nothing overall offensive. Finishes OK, but yeah, I don't love it.

2.78/5  rDev -19.9%

I give this beer credit for seeming Kolsch-like, as I understand the style from previous experiences with the style. It is very crisp with a metallic flavor I've tasted in other Kolsch's. Not bad, but this wouldn't be my first choice of beer to have on a hot day. However, I do give Goose Island credit for making a summer seasonal that is a genuine beer style, and resisting the temptation to make a summer beer that is fruity, citrus-y, and too sweet.

Appearance is a clear pale yellow, that is translucent. Aroma is faint. Flavor is crisp and metallic. Mouthfeel is clean, dry and crisp.

Like I said, I'd weakly recommend this. Not bad.

2.78/5  rDev -19.9%

This bottle poured a light gold and had a lacy head that didn't last long. The aroma was a little light, a bit of grassy grain--not much aroma to speak of. It tasted more like a middle of the road macro, a little sweet, a little "musty" and perhaps a bit of metalic taste. It was a thin brew with decent carbonation making for an alright mouthfeel. Its lightness and crispness will make it very drinkable in the summertime.

Overall, this is a small upgrade from a macro. A decent summertime drink. I wouldn't refuse another if offered, but I don't think I'll buy another pack.

UPDATE: I've had this a few more times now, and whether on tap or in a bottle this stuff just seems to taste skunky-- year after year. Not a fan.

2.8/5  rDev -19.3%

12 oz. Bottle

A: Extremely pale with a ton of head; little to no head.

S: Little to no smell - weak citrus aromas to the beer.

T: Refreshing ale, not strong but decent citrus and weak hop flavors.

M/D: Too bubbly for my taste, but decently drinkable.

2.82/5  rDev -18.7%

So I guess it was just a matter of time, when I finally found a GI beer I didn't like. This beer reminds me of a slightly improved MGD. Though, that is not saying much.

Pours just like an MGD, but maybe with slightly less carbonation. Smell is a tad better than MGD, but again it's not good. The taste is a tad bit better aswell. Mouthfeel seems less fizzy, and slightly less watery than MGD. Drinkability should be improved over MGD for sure, but you know what I would rather save my money and just buy MGD, because this beer resembles it way too much.

Overall, this beer is not worth the price, it's only a tad better tasting than your cheap o' MGD 12-pack. Go with GI's Honker's Ale, IPA, Oatmeal Stout, and Nut Brown Ale instead.

2.82/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I've noted before that I'm probably not the best guy to review kolschs because I don't generally like them, but here goes. It's one was more complex than most, with some citrus flavor, definitely a plant-like aroma which I found somewhat off-putting. Nothing special from the mouthfeel.

2.85/5  rDev -17.9%

Had this many times before, but just getting around to reviewing it. I'll be honest, there are several other beers I'd rather drink during the summer. The nose has some corn and lemon, as dose the taste. Mouthfeel is a bit oily, and the color is a tad watered looking. It is light, and it is refreshing, but the taste is a one dimensional citrus that does quite appeal to me. Goose Island's IPA or any of their four-packs are much, much better.

2.85/5  rDev -17.9%

I like dark and strong beers.

A- this has a transparent color and a 1/2 inch when poured into a pint glass.

S- The smell reminds me of the first time a drank it at a bbq

T- Light but not a lot going on. a little sweet

M- a little carbonation

Its a good six pack on a summer day, near the beach, or when your just looking for an easy drinking. Goose island 312 and ipa are far an away better offerings.

Summertime from Goose Island Beer Co.