Oktoberfest - Goose Island Beer Co.

OktoberfestOktoberfest

good

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

Copper color, toffee aroma, malty dried apricot flavor, medium body.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-06-2001)
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

I am both purging and divesting myself of bottles, but I seem to always find one or two loosey goosies (sorry) in single-o coolers around town. It does not hurt that The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop is such an enabler, either! Why leave with just one or two when you can Mix-a-Six?

From the bottle: "Holiday Release"; "Traditional Marzen"; "Prized Hallertau hops provide earthy bitterness to a malty body with pleasant hints of dried apricot and toffee aroma."; "Serve in a stein".

Another great pseudo-cascade following a mighty pour! It drives #TheOldLady nuts when I do it, but I like the head formation, the release of esters, and the visual aspect of it. I got just over a finger of foamy, tawny head that quickly fell to wisps. I usually do not get hung on clarity one way or the other, but this had NE-plus quality clarity! I could see through the walls into the neighbor's house, I could see into the future, I could see France, I could see your underpants! I am going to describe the magnificent color as somewhere between Deep Amber/Light Copper and Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). I definitely got the toffee and earthy aromas on the nose. I do not like sweet beers, so if they held the mats in check, I am really going to like this beer. Mouthfeel was medium, approaching full with its carbonation. I will buy both dried apricot and certainly toffee as flavors, and there was a very earthy grassy quality also, but I did not perceive any of it as "bitter", or what I think of as bitter. IBU = 17. Come on! I apologize for drinking it from a shaker glass as opposed to a stein (German for "stone"), but I need to see it in order to review it. Man, this was a mellow beer. The tastes just kind of swirled around in my mouth and on my tongue and time passed pleasantly by. Finish was semi-dry, lightly fruity, slightly grassy. Yum.

woodychandler, Aug 16, 2014
4.16/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a stein glass. Bottled on 05/August/14.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber orange with a lot of rising bubbles. Solid two fingers of off white head which slowly settle into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: A bready and toasty malt forward aroma with hints of caramel, toffee, and biscuit. Toasted barley malt with bready hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, grains, cracker, and lager yeast. Subtle fruit hints of orange, apple, and apricot. Sweet hints of brown sugar. Also some earthy and floral hop hints. A pretty solid malty aroma.

Taste: Like the smell hints at, a toasty and bready malt driven taste with notes of biscuit, caramel, and toffee. Toasted barley malt with bready notes of biscuit, caramel, toffee, grains, cracker, and yeast. Good mix of fruit undertones with notes of apple, orange, and apricot. Sweet taste of brown sugar. Subtle earthy and floral hop notes. A pretty nice Marzen taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, crisp, and very smooth with a drying finish.

Overall: A pretty solid take on a German Marzen. Good toasty malt notes with some nice subtle fruit notes.

MattyG85, Today at 08:01 AM

Mark-Leggett, Today at 12:12 AM
3.52/5  rDev -4.1%

Aisha, Yesterday at 04:46 AM
3.49/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked a single, bottled Aug 19 14

Pours an effervescent tea color a with a finger of tan head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Pears & apple blossoms (3.5)

T: some toastyness & pears, plus a little dryness up front. More of the same as this warms, a little herbal hoppyness as well. Finishes dry, fruitty ( pears with a little bit of apricot ) & dryness, a little toastyness & herbal hops (3.5)

MF: Medium bodied, slight carbonation (3.5)

Drinks easy enough, but nothing special (3.5)

russpowell, Yesterday at 02:07 AM
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Dinobambam, Friday at 09:52 PM

Brams17, Friday at 08:15 PM
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Serving style is a 12 oz bottle poured into a glass.

Appearance (3.75) : A beautiful root beer/orange body with about 60% opacity. The 1 finger head is carbonated and lightly fluffy, and recedes fairly quick leaving a small ring at the top.

Smell (4.25) : Smells like crisp water, cinnamon rice, nutmeg, clove. A tender body of pumpkin underneath it all. A hint of apricot. Promising for sure.

Taste (3.75) : This is pretty decent. It's got clove and nutmeg out front, some earth and hops, with a slightly sour pumpkin body, almost amber-like; ending slightly crisp and dry with pumpkin seed and more clove.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Quite carbonated but somehow it seems to fit the flavors even if it is sharp. Some creamy smoothness in there, and it ends dry and crisp.

Overall (3.88) : A great take on the Oktoberfest. This is one of the better ones I've had thus far. I'd say it's a safe bet to buy a six pack if you haven't tried it. It's highly unlikely you'll hate it - you'll probably either love it, or think it's pretty okay.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Friday at 08:07 PM
1.08/5  rDev -70.6%

Serah, Friday at 08:03 PM

Baldjosh, Thursday at 07:38 AM
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

I picked up a bottle of Goose Island's Oktoberfest last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before and since I'm in the Oktoberfest mood I thought I would give this one a chance, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on July 1st 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty typical looking for Goose Island, but it does have an Oktobefest theme in the background, I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a fairly clear amber color that took on more red/amber color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice look Oktoberfest that seemed to be right in line with the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice sweet malt, caramel and toffee like aroma with caramel and toffee seeming to stick out the most and there's some clean lager yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a nice fruity aroma that must be from the hops and it actually imparted a dried apricot aroma just like it says on the label. This beer had pretty nice aroma, it was a little bolder than most in the style, but I enjoyed it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same nice malt aspects with the caramel and toffee still sticking out the most. Up next comes that clean lager yeast that leads right into a nice fruity flavor that's a little similar to the dried apricot that I got in the aroma, but it also has an apple juice like aspect to it. On the finish there's no bitterness with a little more sweetness taking it's place and it had a caramel, toffee, light grainy and fruity aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it had pretty much all the flavors that I expect from the style, they were just a little bolder than normal.

M- Smooth, fairly crisp, fairly clean, on the thicker side of light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

All in all I thought this was a good beer and good example of an American version of a Marzen, it took pretty much all the aspects that you would find in a traditional example of the style and they amplified them which ended up working well and I think the bolder flavors suit the American palate a little more. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, fairly crisp, fairly clean, not filling at all and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these especially on a nice fall night sitting by the bonfire. What I liked the most about this beer was that had it pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style, they were just bolder than normal. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was just a little too high for the style. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a bolder Oktoberfest. I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the style or mild malty beers in general. All in all I was happy with this beer, I came into this beers expecting a bolder version of a traditional Marzen and that's exactly what I got. It's not my favorite beer from Goose Island, but it's up there was on the better American Marzens I've had. Good job guys, this beer embodies the spirit of a German Oktoberfest with a bold American twist, I enjoyed it, keep up the solid work.

StoutHunter, Thursday at 04:12 AM
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

BRami127, Wednesday at 04:37 AM
3.96/5  rDev +7.9%

JakeBarnett, Wednesday at 03:23 AM
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours hazy and orange with a fat creamy head of off white foam that last well and leaves lace. Has some yellow hues. Nose is subtle and not too breaddy but has plenty of caramel and sweetness on it. Smells a bit floral and sugary. Taste is smooth and sweet caramel, not really deeply breaddy. Body is medium and a bit slick on the palate. A little grass brings this one home pretty sweet and with a substantial bitterness form hops. Breaddiness starts to emerge as the beer warms with a little bread crust that ups my opinion of it considerably.

utopiajane, Tuesday at 02:33 PM

spointon, Tuesday at 11:10 AM
3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

ariceclemson, Tuesday at 02:30 AM
Oktoberfest from Goose Island Beer Co.