Oktoberfest - Goose Island Beer Co.

OktoberfestOktoberfest

good

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

Copper color, toffee aroma, malty dried apricot flavor, medium body.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-06-2001)
Reviews by soju6:
3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a bright amber color with a small head that fades to nominal lacing. Aroma of mild citrus, malt sweetness, with a bit of fruit sweetness and grain. Taste of malt, light fruit sweetness and bit of grain. Mild bitterness and the finish is quite dry. Fairly light body, a subtle crispness and clean. Decent beer for the style.

soju6, Dec 15, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

I am both purging and divesting myself of bottles, but I seem to always find one or two loosey goosies (sorry) in single-o coolers around town. It does not hurt that The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop is such an enabler, either! Why leave with just one or two when you can Mix-a-Six?

From the bottle: "Holiday Release"; "Traditional Marzen"; "Prized Hallertau hops provide earthy bitterness to a malty body with pleasant hints of dried apricot and toffee aroma."; "Serve in a stein".

Another great pseudo-cascade following a mighty pour! It drives #TheOldLady nuts when I do it, but I like the head formation, the release of esters, and the visual aspect of it. I got just over a finger of foamy, tawny head that quickly fell to wisps. I usually do not get hung on clarity one way or the other, but this had NE-plus quality clarity! I could see through the walls into the neighbor's house, I could see into the future, I could see France, I could see your underpants! I am going to describe the magnificent color as somewhere between Deep Amber/Light Copper and Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). I definitely got the toffee and earthy aromas on the nose. I do not like sweet beers, so if they held the mats in check, I am really going to like this beer. Mouthfeel was medium, approaching full with its carbonation. I will buy both dried apricot and certainly toffee as flavors, and there was a very earthy grassy quality also, but I did not perceive any of it as "bitter", or what I think of as bitter. IBU = 17. Come on! I apologize for drinking it from a shaker glass as opposed to a stein (German for "stone"), but I need to see it in order to review it. Man, this was a mellow beer. The tastes just kind of swirled around in my mouth and on my tongue and time passed pleasantly by. Finish was semi-dry, lightly fruity, slightly grassy. Yum.

woodychandler, Aug 16, 2014

2006 Oktoberfest bottle. Best by 122706 on the bottle. Pours into my glass a nice deep dark amber red hue with good clarity and active carbonation. A half inch of white head sticks on top of the brew. Looks nice in the glass. Aromas of sweet caramel and nutty malts. Quite malt forward with a dash of cocoa as well. Herbal hops sitting in the background. A nice clean, inviting aroma.

First sip brings a sweet toasted, caramel maltiness enchanced by a big nuttiness. Hints of cocoa and maybe some raisins as well. Flows down with a hit of herbal hoppiness that's just enough to give it a little something extra on the way down. Just a solid Oktoberfest overall, nice and malty.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Good body with sturdy carbonation. I could see myself enjoying a good deal of this brew. I recall not enjoying this one as much last year, but I find myself really liking the brew in front of me right now. Well worth checking out if you have access to it.

orbitalr0x, Oct 04, 2006

generallee, Sep 10, 2013
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Doomcifer, Aug 15, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

BuckeyeSlim, Apr 24, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

12 ouncer sampled, a treat to see more Goose Island selections being available in the NYC area. Bottle provides "best when consumed by" dating and also lets the consumer know this should be served in an imperial pint glass, nice stuff going on here. Beer education and information is a good thing! This one pours a healthy dark almond mahogony shade of tastyness. Minor tan head and just the usual sort of lacing. Nose is the expected bready, malty O'fest odor. I found this brew to be very pleasantly malty, smooth and long lasting on the tongue and gums. Notes of vanilla, honey and nutty maltyness.Would make a fine sessioner. Very rich and pleasant brew. I haven't tried anything from Goose Island that was not spot on.

Billolick, Oct 23, 2005
3.45/5  rDev -6%

Poured at deep copper color with a thick white lace that left distinct rings on the glass. Sweet caramel malty smell along with some spices. Flavor is heavy on the sweetness...almost sugary. Tiny amount of bittering to balance. Mouthfeel on the thin side. Drinkability is decent. One that I could drink a few of in one setting, but not my favorite fest beer.

OldFrothingSlosh, Oct 18, 2003
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

jiffymon, Oct 25, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Of the three Oktoberfests I had this weekend (Pete's, Leine's and Goose Island) this was the best. Nice red color, albeit with little head retention. The flavor was stronger and sweet, like an Oktoberfest should be. An excellent Marzen and worth trying.

ryanocerus, Oct 06, 2002

tyleeis, Aug 03, 2013

Cynic-ale, Jul 30, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Orangey caramel colored with a thick inch high head of beige foam that lingers long and slowly recedes to a quarter inch high cap. Aroma of biscuity malt, corn and cinnamon.

Flavors of toasted malt, toffee and caramel, slightly nutty, faint metallic note. Subtle offsetting bitterness. Very balanced and flavorful. Full mouthfeel, but slightly slick. Overall a good representation of the style, tasty beer.

far333, Sep 26, 2013
3.21/5  rDev -12.5%

Amber pour. Minimal head. Caramel all over the place, dominates aroma and taste.

Sweet, not overly, thin body, more caramel. Not bitter, creamy. Kinda dry for the level of sweetness on the first sip. Low carbonation, drinks similar to Sprecher's Amber Lager.

Not my thing, a smooth malty fall beer w/o hops. Solid for style though, check it out if you dig the smooth. . .

Beerandraiderfan, Nov 07, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Darker brown amber, not much orange. Clear with slight sediment bits. Head is big at first, settles to a skim in a minute or so. Sweet and sugary smells. Pretty thick for a Fest, heavy caramel and honey flavors with an evident but not balancing hop of straightforward bittering. This brew strays into Bock territory in my opinion, I liked it, but would recommend it to people prefering more body and heavier sweetness. No off tastes but not a good representative of style, to me...

ADR, Sep 05, 2002
3.56/5  rDev -3%

So pleased to see brewed in Chicago, IL, the last 12 pack I purchased was brewed and bottled in Baldwinsville, NY. Copper orange color bright and filtered brilliantly. Big khaki tan head, with fine speckled lacing dispersed as the head dwindles. Aroma has biscuit malts, clean caramel, light and rather airy compared to some of the more robust Oktoberfests out there. Crushing waves of interplay bread grains, caramel, hints of bright ripened fruit with a nutty signature Americanized O fest tone. Not much in the way of hops here a bit of minimal earthiness with some herbal characters come through with a very calm bitterness, barely detectable on the palate. Mouthfeel is medium bodied evenly carbonated, very easy to drink yet equally unimpressive and standout in this style. I would say if I had ten of this seasons Oktoberfests that this version is ranking 6th or 7th in my minds ideal version of the style.

WVbeergeek, Sep 15, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

JuniperJesus, Aug 13, 2013

cmwilliq, Aug 07, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer pours a deep golden brown with a thin film or off-white head and a very slow gentle carbonation

S- This beer has a crisp clean aroma of pale slightly toasted malt.

T- This beer has a slight sweetness to the malt flavors which are a little toasty. A faint noble hop note in the finish with a slight sulfur note in a dry finish.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with not fizz or astringency.

D- This is a very average beer. I understand that it is meant to be consumed a liter at a time for many hours, but it doesn't have any real complexity or interest. Perhaps paired with spicy mustard and pretzels it will be more interesting.

rhoadsrage, Oct 05, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

acurtis, Oct 03, 2013
3.76/5  rDev +2.5%

A softly off-white head is dense but fluffy, resting solidly on top of a bright beer about copper in color. It keeps its form at a full finger for the long term and shows some resilience in patching down the glass.
This Oktoberfest seems pretty on-target stylistically. Malts give caramel sweetness and breads more than toast along with a bit of grains, and there's something fruity up front that continues to run alonside the rest. A bit of leaf and earth seem to be contributed by the hops. It's just a fraction higher if the fruity aspect was toned down a hair.
The body is medium, right in the range it should be, but grains give a hint of thinning astringency in the very later portion.

Brenden, Aug 24, 2013

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden amber color, with a finger and a half of off-white head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that covered the entire top of the beer.

Aroma: Very malty, very bready, like freshly baked soft pretzels. I also get some floral aromas of clover and honey.

Taste: Lots of good malty notes up front, fresh bread, pretzels, biscuits; followed by some honey-like sweetness, finished by some nicely balanced hops. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium and smooth, with some moderate carbonation. With an ABV of 6.4% there is just the slightest hint of alcohol on the palate, but not much.

Overall: Wow, this is an excellent, excellent American Oktoberfest beer. Nicely balanced between malt and sweet and bitterness, this is an extremely easy beer to drink and enjoy. I think I have a new beer to add to my list of favorite Oktoberfest beers. I’ll certainly be getting a six pack of this beer every year!

Jeffreysan, Oct 30, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Mtooman, Sep 05, 2014
3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Obtained via trade with the ever so gracious bdorf94. 12 oz bottle pours a deep burgundy with a small 1 finger white/off white head. Aroma reminds me a lot of the Einbecker Mai Urbock that I had a couple of weeks ago. A light maltiness is present in the nose that is fairly sweet. Taste is definetely not over-the-top or abrasive in any way. A light maltiness is the the dominant flavor in this brew. It finishes with the same slight sweetness that i've experienced in all of my previous enconters with this style. Not bad but i still prefer Ayinger's O-fest to this one.

soper2000, Oct 06, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Pouring this one at 45 degrees after letting it sit out of a 33 degree refrigerator for 30 minutes. Changed the setting on my fridge during that time. Amber pour with approximately 3/4 inch head which went away rather quickly.

Malt and hops combine for a nice aroma. Not overwhelming but hopefully a small precursor of what is to come

Lively on the tongue with a twinge of sweetness going well with the malt. Do not get much of the hops till later and then only slight.

Taste does not linger in the mouth but overall feeling is acceptable with no discerning flaws.

A better than average Oktoberfest but only about an average effort for a Goose Island.

SMark, Dec 04, 2006
Oktoberfest from Goose Island Beer Co.