Père Jacques - Goose Island Beer Co.

Père JacquesPère Jacques

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Dubbel |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-26-2004

Warm molasses color, dark fruit aroma, rich caramel flavor, rich soft body.

Reviews: 859 | Hads: 2,206
1.36/5  rDev -65.4%

Poured this from a 12-oz bottle into a chilled pint glass at the cafe at Whole Foods. (I was actually looking for their farmhouse ale called Sophia but there was none in the single bottle section.)

Clear and brown,actually a pleasant appearance, syrupy, minimal heading and no lace, not much in the way of smell. No carbonation to speak of.

Texture and taste were quite complementary--sickeningly sweeet and sticky to the max. Quite frankly the absolutely worst beer I have ever tasted. I will not come this way again and will avoid the style in the future. (560 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -42%

Reviewed on 7/26/08. 2005 bottle. Pours a dark brown with a small head. Aroma of sweet raisin, dark fruits. Flavor strongly of raisin, some molasses. This beer is very sweet, strong, heavy, and cloying. It was too hard to drink and it doesn't help that I don't like a strong raisin presence in a beer. I'm surprised this gets such high ratings because I found it nearly undrinkable. A slightly weaker version of DFH Raison D'Extra. Yuck.
5/3/5/2/7 (2.2/5) (455 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I remember liking this more, and hope future bottles come together better.

This had an attractive hue, on the lighter side of the dubbel world, crystal clear. Unfortunately it was only moderately carbonated with little head and zero lacing. For a Belgian? Very disappointing.

On the nose this was hot and had hints of acetone. Some appealing bready malt underneath but esters fall into the alcohol and nail polish notes.

Flavor is fairly well balanced, but it's lacking both in malt character and doesn't compensate with fruit esters, instead the off notes carry the day. It's as undercarbonated on the palate as it looks in the glass, and overall, this is just a very disappointing beer. Hopefully just a bad batch. (719 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -35.4%

12oz bottle. 2007 vintage.

App: opaque orange and red. 1.5 finger tan head. Chunks of yeast can be seen. Cloudiness is good, but I really dislike seeing the chunks.

Smell: Now I truly know what they mean by dried, resinous fruit like apricots and raisins. Definitely hints of vanilla and perhaps a touch a citrus.

Taste: Starts with a sweetness that has a touch of nice fruit. Ends with a strong bitterness that is part spicy hops and part coffee and part tobacco. (GROSS!)

Nice full body that sits deliciously on the tounge

Drinkability/enjoyabilty--pretty low. (569 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -34.4%

On tap at hopleaf
Pours amber with a lot of lacing left. Smell is sticky malt and light belgium character. Taste is boring, and bland overall with light belgian yeast and malt. I don't understand the good ratings, as it is so incredibly mildly flavored... Mild like the matilda, and just unexciting, but not offensive. (318 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -31.8%

I finally decided to crack into this; a bit weary due to many inconsistent reviews, but Goose Island has never let me down. They couldn't possibly start now, could they? Read on...

12 oz. bottle (3/10/08 1948) poured into an oversized wine glass.

I tried to be aggressive on the pour to no avail. Bubbly skin of a head that disipates far too quickly for me-lifeless amber body, chock full of white floaters. Almost looks like rancid apple juice...

Loads of bubblegum whiffs knocked me off my chair. There are some notes of bananas and cloves, but you have to ignore that big wallop of Bazooka Joe to find them...

ohhh...if bubblegum were a trait that I enjoyed dominating my beer, then I would be in heaven. sadly, i don't care for it. Tastes of stale ABC gum and rotting fruit. Hardly any finish whatsoever, it's as if the flavors just stops abrubtly.

somehow, this has a great mouthfeel! Great carbonation...too bad it falls flat everywhere else.

I'm not going to rate the drinkability; i think that can be answered pretty easily if you read the review up until this point.

This is either a bad beer, or it doesn't age well. Like many other beers, I will try this one again, hopefully a fresh one to test my theory. Please forgive me Goose Island, but I know you can do better. (1,286 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

Bottle dated 2009.

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Finger of loose, tan head that drops to a thin, rough covering & collar. Translucent, sienna body with some some red-orange highlights. Can see some flecks of sediment when held up to the light.

Smells mostly of candy: toffee, caramel, butterscotch. A little alcohol. Maybe a little cooked apple, but that's as much fruit as I'm getting out of this. Alcohol smell gains fast, giving this a medicinal note.

Huh, taste is different than I'd expected. The sweetness is nowhere near as cloying as the smell would suggest, & there's a dryness midway that sticks around through the aftertaste. Little bit of orange, but mostly a dry, medicinal alcohol taste. Where are all the sugars from the aroma? Wow, each sip gets a little harder to take - the booze just keeps growing & growing, & the score shrinking & shrinking. Finally pick up a little bit of malt in the late aftertaste.

Medium-full-bodied, with a sharp, hot bite from the booze.

Way off-balance, with the hot, dry alcohol becoming a definite turn-off. Man, I was really looking forward to this one, too! I'm having a hard time getting through the glass I have, & kind of dread the idea of another half-bomber waiting for me in the fridge. I'd be willing to try this again sometime, but this was not a pleasant experience. (1,331 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -30%

While I was disappointed by the Demolition, I had no idea that this one would be significantly worse. Comes out of the bottle rather limp; placid skim but good cling. Iced-tea in color, reddened.

Nose is phenolic, fallen leaves, and rustic Belgian yeast. Overall a general spiciness and lack of distinctive character.

Taste is a pure death-by-sweetness. So sweet it approaches Nutri-sweet territory. Not much to be said except that this was a near drain-pour. Lacks any resemblance of a good Belgian beer.

Lacking complexity and depth and being a veritable candy-cane beer, the only thing going for the mouthfeel and drinkability here is that there’s alcohol contained within. Letdown. (697 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -29.5%

Pours from the bottle a reddish-brown with a scant quarter inch of head; nothing out of the ordinary here. Swirling the glass brings forth a nice blend of aromas I find great in a dubbel--allspice, gingerbread, and black licorice. Sadly, the nose on Pere Jacques became the high point of the beer for me as the flavors I encountered upon sipping were dull, even insipid.

I tasted brown sugar and black licorice notes here and there, but mostly the beer is a muddled spicy mixture that leaves me as disappointed as I've been in some time. Almost tastes like a poorly done Christmas ale. Mouthfeel is equally uninspired, with body on the lifeless, watery side. A little bitterness tickles the throat at the end of the sip, but that's all.

I wanted to like Pere Jacques, as dubbels are among my favorite styles. However, when compared to Ommegang's Abbey Ale, this beer is left in the dust. (890 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -29.5%

Here we go....my first Dubbel beer. What can I expect?

A - Cloudy Medium Brown color. When pouring from the bottle, more junk left at the bottom of the bottle than was poured into my glass....alright I lied, but there is alot of "stuff" left in the bottle. I can't get over how cloudy this beer is. Incredible. No head. No lacing. Just brown liquid sitting in my glass.

S - Malted Ice cream with Dried Raisins. Dried fruit. Brown sugar.

T - The moment of truth. My first ever Dubbel....Sipping starts...Now.

Hmmm. Very difficult to explain.

Here goes. Thick like cough syrup. Don't really care for this texture except in my Russian Imperial Stouts. Sweet. Alcohol. Too much so. Swish it around a while in the mouth and fresh fruit is present. Much better in the mouth than going down the throat.

Much better taste just as the beer leaves the mouth and heads down the throat. This is when the beer comes alive...for that split second. If I could capture that all of the time, I would. It is when the nose picks up where the mouth leaves the beer behind and the body exhales. Best part of this beer. Too bad I can't rate this part. If so, I would give this beer a 5 in the area. However...I can't.

M - Thick like just finishing a peppermint candy. Sugar and water combined. Too thick for the taste. Really not impressed.

D - VERY high Alcohol content. If I were back in college, I would love this beer. However, that time is long gone...20 years now. Being this the case, I will only have one of these and call it a day. Sorry Pere Jacques.

Just not for me. (1,568 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -29.3%

Jacques, Jacques, Bo Baques, Banana, Fanna, Foe, Faques, Fee, Fie, Moe, Maques--Jacques In other words, banana!! Hits you in the nose as soon as you pour. Overwhelms everything else. Pours dark yellow under a thin head. Actually likeable, but a bit overdone. (258 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -29%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours brown with a minimal white head, fair retention.

S: Cola stands out, molasses/brown sugar.

T: Very sweet. Heavy malt and dark sugar with no real Belgian complexity as I'd find in Prior 8 for example. Almost like a dopplebock, but there is an ale fruit character in there, but it's thin.

M: Cloyingly sweet at points, medium-bodied, fizzy.

D: This is too sweet and difficult to drink for me because of that. This clearly needs some time to age and mellow out, I'd like to come back to it later. (522 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.5%

2010 vintage, tasted side-by-side with Westmalle Trappist Dubbel. That's a tough beer to be compared to, for sure, but this didn't measure up very well.

A: Orange-golden with no head at all; not even any bubbles.

S: Heavy on the malty sweetness, yeast odors following, and some nice spice in the nose.

T: Overly sweet, very malty, without a ton more to it than that. It's actually quite sugary. I wonder if some more time in the bottle would dissipate some of that overwhelming sweetness and let other flavors come through.

M: Not to my liking; no carbonation, syrupy, and sticky. Seems like the bottle conditioning completely failed.

D: Moderately drinkable, but not too enjoyable due to the overwhelming sweetness, syrupy mouthfeel, and total lack of carbonation. Probably my least favorite of the Goose Island offerings I've had. (837 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -28.2%

poured into an oversize goblet at 40 degrees.

Appearance: A half one finger head that is ivory and is creamy. The head has poor retention. The color of the beer is a dark brown with copper red hues. The clarity of the beer is hazy to opaque. There is some carbonation bubbles in the beer.

Nose: A mild malt build, with a subtle sweetness. There are notes of bananas, phenols, solvent, caramel, dried cherries, and toffee.

Taste: The malt lacks depth and character like a good dubbel. There are notes of caramel, toffee, dried cherries, raisins, bananas, phenols, and some malty sweetness.

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, dry, astringent, and edgy.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium also. This dubbel is just okay there is no character, no complex malts, or rich flavors. I am disappointed in GI. I am glad that I had the opportunity to try another GI, beer. Thank you. (917 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -27.7%

Bottled on: Nov 20, 2010

A-Dirty brown with just a touch of tan head and a fair amount of carbonation.

S-Caramel malts predominate. Sweet and toasty-just inviting a big gulp.

T-Malty upfront end note is hoppy-a little astringent with alcohol bite.

M-A little thin upfront-could benefit from some richness here...too watery

D-Easy to drink, but could benefit from some balancing of malts, yeast, and hops.

O-Not a terrible dubbel-but this one doesn't stack up with some of more tasty versions I've had of this style-not a well rounded beer. To me this beer could use more malt, more mouthfeel, more yeast, and less hop, as well as the alcohol being hidden better. I'll be interested in how this one does with some aging.

5/10/13 update: Back to this beer after 2 years in the cellar...Similar appearance as the freshie but with plenty of sediment. Aroma is a hint sweeter. Ripe grapes predominant now vs. the initial caramel toasty malt character. The taste is like the aroma. Heavy on sweetness which covers up the alcohol bite that was initially present and no astringency here either anymore. The mouthfeel has definitely gotten thicker with just a bit of cloying sweetness. Still plenty of carbonation here. Overall I think this beer has improved with age as it is more like the good Belgians. I'd give it a solid 3.75 now. Glad I held these as I didn't care for this beer fresh. Probably time to drink more. I think it's at it's peak and about to become too sweet and cloying. I'll hold a couple to see. (1,515 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a very light caramel color. It appears to be an orangeish brown with some red highlights. About 1 finger of off white head. A really light color for a dubbel.

Smells pretty phenolic. Banana, clove, and a bunch of savory spices.

The taste is mostly savory spices like clove, nutmeg, allspice, etc. I taste some alcohol in the finish. The flavors seem to be a bit muted. Pretty straightforward for a dubbel.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. Seems watery at times. Fairly low carbonation.

Not a big fan of this one. It is not that complex and too phenolic. There a bunch of dubbels out there that I would buy before this one. (629 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -27.2%

22 oz 2010 bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a clear mahogany/ruby color with a fleeting, thin white head that quickly disappears with no lacing.

Aroma is sugary, buttery and yeasty with mild dark fruit aromas and very little malt.

Flavor is extremely sweet and sugary like the aroma, with slight cherry and plum fruit sweetness in the finish. Fairly boring and one dimensionally sweet with disappointingly weak malt presence.

Body is medium thick, with strong carbonation producing a creamy, smooth texture. Finish is mildly dry and slightly spicy.

A little too sweet and boring with a strong boozy finish. Not a bad beer, just not a great dubbel. (656 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%

2009 Vintage.

A- An absolutely clear orange beer with a thin and splotchy white head. Rather dull looking, but not unappealing.

S- Walnuts, caramel, a bit of plastic, cherries, and a touch of alcohol. Pretty unique smelling for the style.

T- Surprisingly tart with a huge cherry and grape flavor. There is a slight caramel malt backbone to it.

M- The tartness leaves a residual puckering feeling in the mouth. The carbonation level is nice though.

D- Not a very good example for the style and honestly, not all that appealing. I really wish I didn't have a bomber of this. (577 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

2011 from dakkon54. Pours a deep cloudy amber color with no head.

Smells very strongly of dark fruits (figs and prunes), as a matter of fact thats about it for the smell. caramelized sugars accent the fruits. Maybe some of the malt bill comes in. no hops, but thats normal. Really smells like a decent doppelbock more than a dubbel.

The taste is complex. Those fruits are there, but the caramelized sugars really come out, and become the leading flavor. Sits very light on the tongue, but the sugars leave it feeling syrupy sweet. The sugar is just too much for me. It feels like a sugar bomb.

Maybe a candidate for aging, the sugars might mellow out making this thing drinkable. (682 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -26%

Bottle with 2012 appellation.

A - Caramel colored, medium head
S - Caramel malts (Special B)
T - Sweet Tea. Was this fermented? Tastes like wort.
O - Too sweet to finish. Tastes more like an imperial amber than a dubbel. There's probably an audience for this beer, but I'm not a member. (287 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottled 07/29/11 stamped on bottom right of label. 650mL / 1 Pint 6 fl oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

Appearance - Dark amber body. Half finger off-white/cream pancake batter head with good stick and decent to low retention.

Smell - Dry musky corn. Wet cardboard. Slight caramel sweetness when warmed/swirled. Noticeable alcohol.

Taste - Metallic. Mild. Some slight caramel sweetness. More apparent as it warms. Mild bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Creamy. Warm. Somewhat astringent. Medium bodied. Some decent effervescence when given a full swig.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty mild, unchallenging for a dubbel. I wanted to love this beer, but it just has too much stiff competition in the style. (712 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

I poured this from a 22oz. labeled 2010. It poured out almost like a translucent red wine, not much of a head and no lace. On the first sniff I get fruit (cherry mainly), candy sugar and alcohol. It smells a bit like cough syrup, though a bit more natural. It tastes a bit better than it smells but there is still a medicinal quality to it that I can't ignore. It goes down alright but the taste gets in the way. I love beers in this style and this one just didn't seem to fit on my, "I really like it," shelf. Sorry Goose Island, I'll still check out your other beers but this one, probably not for a while. (608 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -23.2%

I picked up a bottle of Goose Island's Pere Jacques for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I have to admit that I am not a fan of Goose Island, I have had some bad experiences with them and I have never had a beer from them that I impressed me, but I am not willing to write this brewery off just yet, so let's see if I can finally find a good Goose Island beer. It had a bottling date of April 13, 2011. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a goblet.

A- The label is pretty plain but still manages to look a little classy. It poured a dark ruby red that was bordering on being brown, when held to the light it took on a nice bright ruby red color. It had a half a finger worth of white head that quickly turned into a thin ring that had disappeared in seconds.

S- The first thing I notice about the aroma is that it's pretty spicy, there's a nice mixture of a bunch of different spices with no single one really sticking out, they all blend together, I assume the spices are from the Belgian yeast. The malty sweetness is pretty prominent and smells like it is on the high side of sweetness, the malts also impart some nice candied sugar, dark bread, and dark fruit aromas that all come together for a nice aroma but the sweetness and the spices seem to stick out the most.

T- The taste starts with an abundance of malts that impart a nice mix of dark fruits with plums, figs, and cherry's sticking out the most along with a medium dose of candied sugar. The spices are toned down to allow some balance in this beer, but they are still noticeable and make for some nice complexity. The 8% is noticeable and slightly warming, it could have been hidden better. The finish had a medium amount of bitterness and was a little sweet, I picked up a very slight presence of grassy hops, but it was barley noticeable.

M- Slightly sticky and on the light side of being medium bodied. The carbonation was low and it would have been better if it was bumped up to medium.

Overall I thought this was an OK Dubbel that was slightly above average. I thought this beer was going in the right direction but there were too many things that made it rough around the edges. I thought it was weird that the aroma had such a dominating spice aspect to it but when it came to the taste the spices take the backseat to all those sweet and fruity flavors from the malts. I felt that it was just a touch too sweet and the alcohol could have been hidden better. What I liked the most about this beer was its nice and complex aroma and what I liked least about this beer was its high amount of sweetness and how much the 8% showed up. This beer doesn't have good drinkability it took me a while to drink the whole bottle and it was a bit of a struggle towards the end, I would never want to drink more then one of these. I don't think I would buy this again, it just didn't impress me, I would much rather have the Dubbel from Bridge Brew Works. If Dubbels are your thing you might want to give it a try, but don't expect to be wowed. This has been the best beer I have had from Goose Island, but that still doesn't make it a good beer, I have come to grips with the fact that I am just not into this brewery, but their line of Belgian beers always catches my attention, maybe I will give some of their other beers a chance but with their track record I doubt it. (3,330 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a hazy brown color with a 1/2 finger light tan head with decent retention and spotty lacing. The aroma has green apples, caramel, and some dark fruit. Unfortunately, the aroma is fairly weak.

The dominant taste is caramel. There is also some dark fruit and green apples, but there is no Belgian yeast in the taste or aroma, and nothing which males me think Belgian when I drink this beer. Rather disappointing.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Nothing which really stands out here. There are better Dubbel's than this. (533 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an tulip at around 50 degrees.

Cola colored body topped off by an offwhite head that dissipates extremely quickly leaving no ring at all and there's no lacing as a result. There's a bunch of large bubbles within the body in the glass, much like after pouring a soda. I'm rather unimpressed by this.

Smell's pretty weak, and I think this mainly has to do with there being absolutely no head on this beer at all. Cherries and dark bread.

Tastes pretty good, sort of a nice cherry flavor along with some alcohol, dark sweet bread and a hint of some yeast.

It feels too wet, and it's a bit too heavy feeling as well, but the carbonation level is alright. The lack of head is frustrating me.

It's a little too sweet to be really drinkable for me. I crave a dry finish in my belgian styles and this is the opposite of that. I feel like the FG is way too high, and I have been rather disappointed with the entire line of Belgian style beers Goose Island has done. Their yeast choice is likely to blame. (1,031 characters)

Père Jacques from Goose Island Beer Co.