Père Jacques - Goose Island Beer Co.

Père JacquesPère Jacques

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Dubbel |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-26-2004

Warm molasses color, dark fruit aroma, rich caramel flavor, rich soft body.

Reviews: 862 | Hads: 2,226
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Nice frothy head atop a mahogney base. Good lacing. Dried fruit, sugars, a nice blend of spices in the nose. Alcohol is still very up front though. Some burnt sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, and light bitterness across my tongue. Medium body. Lingering burn

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

I just went to Goose Island while I was on vacation and I was very impressed with the two high gravity brews I tried. The first one was the Pere Jaques. It poured a reddish brown with minimal head.

The aroma was malty and sweet with a lot of spice. There was a pepperyness to it with small notes of candy sugar and alcohol.

The flavor was sweet with some darker fruit flavor. There was also some spiciness to it.

It was medium bodied with medium/light carbonation.

I think it is a great and drinkable beer.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

I'm not sure what to think of this brew. Deep brownish/reddish color, little head, not un-appealing, but not pretty either. Smells sweet, honey and floral and banana-y, not much else. Tastes similar with a slightly sour finish. Mouthfeel is okay, but weak compared to other dubbels I've had. It's a drinkable beer, but... well...

This is boring. I've had a decent amount of dubbels, and it just doesn't compare. I hate saying negative things, but where's the wow, the punch? It is sneaky, can't taste the alcohol, but I'd rather spend the money on other dubbels. eh.

3.59/5  rDev -8.4%

Bottled on 5/18/05.
Not quite so pretty relative to style; pours a hazy dark orange with not a whole lot of head. Not a bad looking beer but this looks pretty lame compared to other dubbels.
Smells sweet, mostly of bananas. The taste is even more sweetness and more bananas to the point where it's overdone and I think I'm drinking a dunkel weizen or a hefe-weizen... banana's foster. I don't get very much in the way of the dark fruit profile that I've come to expect and anticipate for the style; some raisins maybe.
The 9% alcohol is invisible. I would not have guessed that content at all. I'd like to come back to this after a year or two and see if/how the flavor develops. As it stands for now this is unbalanced, and for about the same amount of money I could get equal amounts of St. Bernardus 8 or 12 which I would much rather have.

Cloudy orange edges with a crimson-brown center. A fat head burgeons and falls into a dusting of surface lace in rapid fashion. High velocity carbonation peppers the surface creating cursor like effects that move in straight lines. Interesting bubble action.

Smells of honey, sour fruits, possibly caramel. Apple skins. Sweet and airy.

The flavour throws off a very weird pseudo-sour apple-cherry ending in the beginning. This is the first thing I notice. This after effect seems to either tone down naturally or become muted by familiarity. The initial contact between my taste buds and the beer is inconsequential in a manner of speaking...then the weird fruit cocktail thing happens. Cool. Unique to be certain. Super wet and juicy. Good structure of body for the flavour. Just bordering on medium weight. Almost refreshing but a bit too sweet to be considered "quenching." I like it. Key notes are "juicy" and "fruity" and "unique." I will drink of this entity once again.

Appearance - This one poured a dirty brown in color with a nice, moderate head that left some nice Belgian lacing on the inside of my Chimay glass.

Smell - The rich, buttery malts dominate this nose. I can pick up a bit of chocolate and maybe some gooey kind of sweets like toffee from a Heath bar.

Taste - The chocolate turns very bitter at the taste. Otherwise, the tongue reflects the nose. It's the rich, buttery toasted malt that stands out.

Mouthfeel - This ale is a bit bigger than medium-bodied with some decent carbonation.

Drinkability - This is a "wow" beer that really wakes you up on the first sip. It's a bit rough around the edges, which I like but isn't for everyone. It's probably a good cellaring candidate but enjoyable as is.

Update - I missed the '06-'09 vintages but had a chance to try the 2010. It has mellowed a lot over the iterations and I noticed that the ABV went down from 9.0 to 8.0. It lost a lot of the harsh character that I noted five years ago which is great although I though this year's effort lacked proper carbonation for the style. All in all still a very good beer.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a hazy brownish-orange, with good head retention. Definite dark fruits and spices which dominate the aroma & flavor. Very sweet..full, rich flavor. Goes down deceptively easy..and at 9%, it catches up with you quick. In my opinion, a very good interpretation of a Belgian-style dubbel. Proves that American craft breweries can keep up with the centuries old Belgian recipes. Well worth trying if you find it.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a medium brown with orange tint with a nice creamy looking head that leaves a nice sheet of lace behind,bid phenolic smoky/spicey aromas with a touch of bubblegum.Flavors are quite yeasty and spiced,cinnamon and cloves with some plum and lingering smokiness in the finish.Very yeasty but bot overpowering in the spiciness even a little soft,well made and enjoyable and quite quaffable for the alc%.

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Dark honey colored with suspended particulate matter and an orangey colored thick head that sinks very quickly. Aroma is big and rich, very malty and fruity, no yeast coming out, full of sweet candy and brown sugar. Flavor is huge and compex - very rich upfront, sweet without being cloying, full of ripe fruits, cotton candy, cinnamon, chewy sweet malt, toffee, light brown sugar, and an alcohold sting. Very drinkable, but I'll be sipping it slowly. Great selection from a quality brewer.

3.96/5  rDev +1%

Pours a cloudy bronze color. Slight orange tint. Thin beige head disappeared immediately. Caramel , raisins, spices and alcohol in the nose. Sweet caramel, fruity flavors such as green apple, sugary sweet. Slight spicy flavors along with that Belgian yeasty flavor. Medium body, carbonation was too high. Slightly warming, but alcohol somewhat hidden. Aside from the carbonation being off, this seems to be a solid brew. Well done by Goose Island.

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

This one is a light brown, cloudy beer. It has a frothy lasting head. A fair amount of lacing.

I coudl not smell much with this one. light malt, light hop, and a bit of dough. It has a light body with very little carbonation.

The first taste is an alochol hit then a light malt and hop. Moderate sweetness with ligh hop bitterness and a mild spice.

This one could be a session beer if it was not for the alochol.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Looks amber red with a minimal head. Aroma is slightly funky, musty. Taste is rich with ripe fruits. Plums, dates, some pear. Malty, not dry as most other belgians I've had. Slightly sour on the finish. Mouthfeel is wonderfully thick. One of my personal favorite belgian beers now.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Served at recommended temperature in a chalice.

A - Rich, deep brown hazy dark caramel color with impressive head retention.

S - Delicious fruity esthers; banana and bubble gum. Candied sugar without being overly malty. Yummy.

T - Subdued and well rounded. Dark sweet fruits up front (figs, prunes, currants), mellowing and blending in the middle. Mildly sour dryness in the finish with a tinge of alcohol warmth and mocha or dark, buttery baked goods.

M - Chewy, full mouthfeel. Only slightly carbonated which helps keep it smooth.

D - Very nice to drink, but a bit heavy to have more than one of, despite the low carbonation. This one's meant for sipping!

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

A 12oz. gem of a beer courtesy of the esteemed Mr. AKSmokedPorter.

Upon pouring into my glass, I am rewarded with a boisterous layer of tightly-bubbled off-white lace that is a hefty 3+ finger thick and dies slowly atop the hazy, light copper-colored beer. Aromas a fully entrenched in malty sweetness, with some wisps of fruity esters (bannanas), dark fruit, and toffee. Interesting. Flavor is very sweet up front, with lots of juicy fruit flavors mixed in. Middle sees this taper off, to be replaced by a more balanced chocolate-covered fruit experience. Finish sees more of a doughy/yeasty chewiness with a somewhat palate-drying aftertaste of bannanas. Very well-balanced. Not to thick on the palate, this offers immense drinkability. The ABV is shrouded by everything else going on. I enjoyed this quite a bit.

Huge BA thanks to AKSP for sending me a bottle of this.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

This offering from G.I. pours a very hazy coppery amberish color with a creamy milkwhite head that holds about two inches high. Moderate levels of carbonation appear present.

Aroma is quite nice. Not in your face like some beer but definitely not hard to detect. I'm getting a good amount of residual Belgian malt sweetness and a bready yeasty note. Spices are noticeable along with a light fruity touch and then some alcohol and vinegar. I like it.

Taste is still sweet but its more of a dark fruit sweetness with a plummy dominance. The yeast is flavorful and weizen like with bananas and clove prevalent. There's a chocolate syrup sweetness underneath but the drying yeast holds it well. Belgian candi sweetness is also there matching the dark fruit prevalence. Spicy phenols are there the whole way and provide more complexity to this beer. Finish is alcohol dry along with a vinegar acidity.

The body is light but holds the flavors well enough and the carbonation seems near perfect. The various flavors could take a bit of getting used to. Alcohol seems a little too strong and the spices and sweetness could use some tempering, but in the end they are awesome in working with one another. The best G.I. offering I have sampled yet.

4.36/5  rDev +11.2%

Looks a little bit pale for a dubbel. It appears a cloudy and coppery amber color held to the light. Looks more like a dark tripel than a light dubbel. The foam is very minimal on the pour and recedes almost instantly to a ring around the chalice producing a thin and sticky lace.

The smell is quite beautiful, though. Contains hints of caramelized malts, figs, plums/raisins, banana, clove, even a hint of bourbon. The more I smell it, the more I enjoy it, while still discerning new aromas with each whiff.

The taste is not quite as exceptional as the smell. The bourbon aroma I detected immediately took me aback on the first sip. The alcohol is right out front in this brew from start to finish. Also has a very strong malt flavor complimented by a huge dose of belgian candi sugar. A little bit of banana/clove ester as it is swished through the mouth. Even a small bit of a hop bite in the end.

The mouthfeel is medium to thick, but quite thin for the style. Still quite enjoyable, though. I couldn't possibly rate the drinkability any higher because of the huge, in-your-face alcohol content paired with the huge malt and candi sweetness; nonetheless, I quite enjoyed drinking this beer and might even do so again before stock runs out (even though there are many REAL Belgian dubbels available I have yet to try at Dirty John's). Not very true to the style, IMO, but well worth a drink.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a bronze tinted medium brown with a thin, sticky, white head and plenty of streaming bubbles. Candy sweetness is very evident in the aroma, as well as tart green apple esters, some nuttiness, and alcohol. There is a big malt flavor up front, with some subtle fruityness, and a spicy peppery note. Very well rounded. More of the candy sweetness is evident as the beer warms, along with an alcoholic raisiny note. Medium bodied with some carbonation. This beer is very smooth and highly drinkable. Another great release from GI.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: This beer was a cloudy, amber-brown color. The tan head rose up to only about one finger with an aggressive pour. It dissipated quickly, but a thin layer of bubbles remained on the surface of the beer for awhile. Eventually, just a narrow ring around the edge remained. There was no lacing.

Smell: A very light, almost crisp aroma. Apples and raisins combined with lightly roasted nuts. Hints of roasted malt and yeast underneath. Some thin cola came through occasionaly. Kind of weak overall, but not bad.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very smooth. Lightly chewy on the sides of the tongue, and the carbonation added a velvety feel to the beer as it moved back into the mouth.

Taste: Strong flavors of yeast and raisins. Sweet and malty, but a little bit of sharpness from some tart fruit and the yeast. Light chocolate malt, some toffee, and a vinuous component on the finish. The alcohol cut through at times.

This was not a bad beer, but nothing about it really jumped out at me.

from the bottle.poured a muddy amber. with a tan head.aroma a fruity yeasty, honey, grapefruit, malts, hops, alcohol, sugar, grapes, floral, musty. flavor, hops, malts, and mild sourness, than some honey comes in along with some apples and dark fruits. not to bad of a beer glad I got a 4 pack going let this cellar for a couple of years.

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Amber is the base color but there are strong influences of peach and gold. Subtle purple highlights. The color is lovely; there is plenty of depth to dazzle the eye. Animation has noticeable in the slight haze and suspended yeast bits. The head was off-white in color, at the apex the foam was almost two fingers in height, it quickly faded to a thin, soapy collar. The liquid is absolutely lovely but the poor head retention is a major bummer. There was no subsequent lacing. If this beer had any sort of head retention and just a little lacing this beer would look perfect. That is how yummy the liquid is! The nose is lively at first. Right out of the bottle there is a big alcoholic blast with a complex array of dark fruits and licorice. However once the beer reaches the glass it lost much of its luster. That sucks. Now the nose is heavy on prunes with candied sugar influences. Spicy. Neutral maltiness, okay, there is some toffee and cola. Grapes. Orange peel. The bouquet is okay on the whole. It doesn’t say as much as I’d like. The invitation is whispered by the end, where did the primal scream go? The palate is flavorful. Is this the most complex Dubbel I’ve ever quaffed? No. There is a cleanliness about it that says “American.” I get the same vibe from New Belgium. It isn’t a bad thing; it is just hard for me to elevate the beer to a higher status. Upfront is a spicy jolt that is quickly backed up by some prunes and grapes with some orange zest. Candied sugar. Toffee. Cola. In the middle is a suggestion of burnt caramel and alcohol heat that blends with some kisses of ginger and cinnamon. The finish has a slight kiss of medical flavors (this alone makes me rethink my comment about this beer being too clean. I guess it is not “too clean,” it just isn’t dirty enough for me until the finish). I hope that makes sense. There is a sugary aftertaste with some sticky, alcoholic residue. So, on the whole, the palate is very tasty. I don’t find this beer to be amazing. I do find it to be very enjoyable. IMO, it is too costly to buy regularly (not like I can buy it in Nebraska anyway). It is better than NB Abbey. Medium in body, the carbonation is moderately low, it is very natural on the tongue. The mouthfeel is relaxing and pleasant. It fits this beer very well. Damn this beer. I purchased a 4-pack in Milwaukee, WI for $8. The first three bottles didn’t really wow me. Maybe I didn’t have my beer thinking cap on. Maybe I drank them too cold. Maybe I was just stupid. Whatever the reason, I wasn’t impressed with this beer. I put off reviewing it because I thought it was ho-hum. I will eat my thoughts. This beer is pretty darn good. There is just something about it that tickles my fancy. It is clearly Belgian. It is obviously flavorful. It has a lovely mouthfeel and it is damn fun to drink. I’m happy I enjoyed this bottle. I guess I will have to buy more in the future. Worth a try.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Hazy mahogany in color, with a thin, tan head that quickly dissipates into a few wisps and an insubstantial halo.

Quite interesting aroma -- somewhat nutty, with a strong malty base and a fruity banana character. Nice Belgian character.

Sweet candi sugar starts the flavor. Lots of fruit in the mid-palate -- raisin, and more ripe banana that becmes stronger as the beer sits. A slightly toasty malt character underlies this fruitiness. Hops are understated, and the alcohol spiciness is subdued -- a shame as this leaves the beer with somewhat of a cloying finish.

Full-bodied in mouthfeel. A rather odd entry, overall. The nature of this fruity character seems a bit off for a dubbel, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as a trippel, either. Not bad however one chooses to classify it, though.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

I had this beer when it first came out - it has aged very well since the April '04 bottling. Second bottle out of the 4 - pack.

Pours with a hazy orange hued amber color. Holding it to the light, there is a glow of orange. SIgnificant sediment falling to the bottom of my belgian glass. Nice sized head of off-white. Big bubbles are to style. Huge nose of belgian candy sugar and yeast. Rasins, plums, brown sugar or maple. Nice velvety mouthfeel. The midmouth begins to be dominated by sweetness. It then transfers to prickly hop and yeast bite. The hops are present, but fail to take away the lingering sweetness on the finish. Very long sweet finish. A great americanized version of dubbel.

I am very pleased with the development of this beer with 9 months of aging. I'll see what another 3 months will do.

Glad to see Goose begin to bottle some of their specialty beers - I here Bourbon Barrel Stout is to follow.

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Light haze makes for a murky, bronzed-amber body, topped with a two finger cushion of creamy, light tan head. Big estery fruits greet the nose--sweetish tropical fruits. Sugary toffee and pear brandy aromas also stand out. Alcohol makes itself known.
Lightly bitter and toasty up front, but just briefly. Huge fruity malts come on quick and hard. Sweet, sugary toffee malt base, but this gets overshadowed by sweet, ripe fruit juice on the palate. Kiwi, banana, strawberry, and random tropical fruits. Fortunately, not too sweet. Finishes fruity, sweet, and lightly alcoholic, with faint bitterness. Maybe a little overcarbonated, especially up front. Otherwise nice, thick, and syrupy. Not bad.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

A 40th birthday present from my brother. Well done, bro! If I gotta go, I'm goin' down swiggin', lol!

Appearance - pours a cloudy plum-red, like diluted fruit punch. Some light sediment in suspension. A nicely built 2-finger head recedes in pockets down to a thin cover. No lacing but an attractive start nonetheless.

Aroma - raisiny, a candy influence and a biscuity wheat base. Lingering aroma is very light of a dark fruit like plum, raisin, or prune but generally indistinct. A layer of alcohol over the top allows for ample notice of this brew's potency.

Taste - big sweet taste, typical of a good dubbel. Fruit and candi sugar dominate along with some mellowed but hefty alcohol flavor. Fruit and alcohol dominate even more with warmth. A finish that remains sweet despite any hops added. The end shows just a bit of a biscuity malt and alcohol mix, tasty from end to end.

Mouthfeel - definitely thick and chewy, lots of carbonation. A great play of texture and bubbles in the mouth.

Drinkability - not a pretender, Goose got it right. Deliciously drinkable, more of a sipper than a session beer, certain to warm you up in style this season.

Update 3/1/06 - Tried my last bottle tonight after giving it some additional time in storage. No real changes other than the flavors melding together a bit better, providing some chocolate-like flavor. Pretty much the same, giving testament to how well the beer will hold up.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Saved thisone for a Thanksgiving after dinner beer, after a "worthy" beer trade with Bashiba. Many thanks!!
Wow! Some Goose. The beer poured a cloudy rust color. A small cream colored head formed only to fade fast. The aroma was of sweet fruit with caramel. The taste while complex was not overpowering in any area. Fruits like sweet apple, pear and banana drizzled in caramel with a spicy alcohol that gave chase. The mouthfeel was carbonated, setting off a rich, creamy warming trend. The drinkability of this 9% was unbelievable. So smooth and drinkable, Goose Island has to make thisone again!!

Père Jacques from Goose Island Beer Co.