312 Urban Wheat - Goose Island Beer Co.

312 Urban Wheat312 Urban Wheat

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: DrunkMcDermott on 04-16-2004

Hazy straw color, light orange hop aroma, fruity ale flavor, creamy body.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 312 Urban Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 843 | Hads: 4,128

Appearance: Well, it looks something like a beer. The color of urine. Huge bubbles, chunky sediment. Just not that appetizing.
Smell: What smell? There's a slight breadiness that comes across.
Taste: Most wheat ales I've had are tasty. There's hops, there's fruit flavors, there's wheat and bread and maybe even clove. There's complexity. This beer has none of those qualities. It's bland, with only slight breadiness and no discernible fruit or floral qualities that I'd normally look for. A huge disappointment. Poor example of the style.
Feel: It's supposed to be creamy, but it comes off as only partially creamy. At least the bubbles feel nice, but I could get that from many other beers.
Overall: If I was blind-tasting this, I'd be able to guess it's an AB product. It's probably mind-blowing for people used to drinking Bud Light, but I'll be honest, I almost would rather drink a Bud Light because it's easier to swallow. I had to drain pour this, and I hate drain pouring beers. (991 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer was served on tap at Proprietor’s Lounge in Farmington, Connecticut. It arrived in a Goose Island silkscreened nonic, showing a dusty pale orange coloring. It held a one finger head of wet, khaki foam which left dripping islands of lacing around the glass. A light haze permeated clarity, and thick flakes of sediment were found throughout. Carbonation appeared to be active. The aroma gave notes of watery pale graininess, penicillin chemical bite, marble dust, white flour, corny adjuncts, aluminum, white sugar, mild plastic phenols, soured lemon rind, lightly smoked wheatiness, burlap, and toasty light amber grain. The flavor included mildly zesty ale yeastiness, sour citric rind and juice, thick wheat, silky oats, plastic phenols, fresh linens, under ripe green strawberries, filthy glass, Elmer’s glue, cornmeal, dry cement mix, chlorine water, gold, dried honeycomb, heavily adjuncty malts, and toasty pale graininess. The body was lightly medium, and carbonation was higher than average, with large bubbles to prickle across the anterior tongue. Each sip gave okay slurp, smack, cream, froth, and pop, with the mouth left intensely powdered, tannic, and dried. The abv was easy, and the beer drank back like most of your light American beers.

Overall, and to be honest, this is their “lowest common denominator” offering. This is not meant to be a jab, but rather just to explain how this is clearly their beer to sway craft fringers, in recognition of the fact that many, many beer drinkers still reach for BMC. The thing drinks light enough like one, and the flavor profile is crisp and equally as comparable. You get just a little more sweetness, and a bit more of that savory metallic quality from the wheat. Actually, as the beer warms, you get this curious zesty lemon flavoring that is part yeast and part citric inclusion. Otherwise, you shouldn’t expect much else different from your typical American adjunct lager, despite the differently labeled style on the side of the bottle. (2,036 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle poured into a curved pint glass.

A- a slightly hazy goldenrod, with a thin white head that laces slightly.

S- some lemon, and slightly herbal hop notes. Crackery and wheat based malt are there.

T- Crisp. The crackery/wheat malt mixes well with the mild sweetness, and feint lemony, herbal hop finish, which is very restrained. Drinks pretty nicely actually.

M- Dryer than what I would think, light to medium body, medium carbonation.

O- not the best american wheat I've had, but certainly not the worst. Another "Gateway beer" offering from Goose Island. My friends who are not into craft beer would certainly drink this. (646 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

After living in Germany for four years and drinking a lot of wheat beers I was slightly disappointed in this one. I guess they call it a "pale" American Wheat beer for a reason. It just didn't have the strong wheat taste I've come to expect in a wheat beer. (259 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +10.2%

It is a decent beer for the price and goes well with many different meals. I always keep a few in my fridge for after class. I consider this my Bud Light replacement as my taste buds matured. (191 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Almost like a less in your face witbier. Doesn't have the orangyness like a bluemoon, but definitely a nice smooth easy to drink wheat beer. Would love to try again. (165 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance:
Light golden color, hazy. Tons of fine bubbles rising. Thick bright white head.

Aroma:
Clean, crisp, some sweetness, herbal, a little lemony.

Taste/Finish/Body:
Clean malts, some grass, a little sweet bread. Slight lemony, peppery, herbals from the hops. Finish is very clean and dry. Body is very refreshing, crisp, clean, dry, super smooth.

Overall:
It's a very good American Wheat Ale. (408 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

Look: pours a nice orange straw like color, with about a half inch of white head that diminishes to about 1cm. Can see that it is unfiltered.

Smell:Earthy and herbal hops with a citrus like aroma, mild yeast and wheat make it's way to the nose.

Taste: Malty up front, herbal hops take over towards the end but citrus is along for the entire ride.

Feel: Nice carbonation on the tongue, very crisp and refreshing but ends dry.

Overall: Honestly, it's better than I expected after reading the other reviews. When it comes to wheat I've only had this and Blue Moon and prefer this over Blue Moon. (633 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is a hazy golden beer. The head is slim and soapy. Smell of mild wheat, a hint of twang and some yeast. Grain and some citrus. This is an everyday, average wheat...nothing special. (189 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -26.2%

I absolutely despise Chicago. And now, I despise it even more.

You see, this "craft" beer is supposedly all crafty and original, and therefore is unfiltered and does it's hardest to not be a larger.
The result is a taste I would only accept if I were a sixteen year old desperate to get drunk. The taste is bold, enormous and overwhelming, just like "city lights on beer Michigan", and has a bitter, long lasting aftertaste. It makes me want to stop drinking beer. Avoid at all costs. (485 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +12.5%

December 27, 2014

12 oz bottle, pint glass

A - Light gold, appears to be filtered and has very good clarity. Little haze, if any it is from the chill. White foam about a centimeter tall, with medium-low retention.

S – Very light citrus, mostly lemon with a hint of orange. Hops are herbal and earthy but very mild. Very clean profile. Not much really here.

T – A malty, biscuity front with a backbone of herbal hops. Again, lemony-citrus flavors make up the flavor profile. Very refreshing.

M – Moderate carbonation with some nice backing bitterness. Finishes fairly dry.

O – This is THE first Goose Island beer I tried after moving to Chicago in 2004. I even called it “three-twelve” instead of the correct colloquial version of “three-one-two” (after the Chicago area code). But I digress. It had been a few years since I’d tried it, and I was pleasantly reminded of what a great everyday, sessionable beer this really is. Very pleased to try it again and enjoy it so much. (1,010 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +28.5%

330ml bottle poured into a Troubadour tulip glass

Look: Pours a straw yellow - one finger of white head, little retention and next to no lacing.

Smell: Hops and citrus, primarily orange, backed up by a fairly wheaty/yeasty, almost bread-like, aroma.

Taste: Quite fruity, but not in the Belgian witbier sense. Quite difficult to describe. Quite yeasty, too. Surprisingly good with a surprisingly amount of depth to it.

Feel: This doesn't drink like a typical witbier/weissbier, no sirree. Has quite a 'thick' yeasty feel which I've not (knowingly) encountered in the German and Belgian beers that I normally prefer. Whatever, it works beautifully.

Overall: Goose Island has been a bit hit and miss for me, but this is an absolute bullseye. Don't try and compare it to a Belgian or German wheat beer because this is a totally different animal - an American spin on weissbier? Who cares - it's pretty damned good and I could quite imagine myself revisiting this again. And again. Two thumbs up. (997 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I always rate by style. For its style, this is a very good beer. Here goes:

A: Very nice. Had it on tape at B-Dubs. Two-fingered head, a ton of lacing, great carbonation that lasts throughout, hazy gold color. Overall, very good for the style - rather impressed.

S: A lot of bananas, orange peel, some lemon and bready yeast. Can't complain.

T: Like the smell. Wheat is very noticeable and it imparts tastes of bananas and orange peel. Some lemon as well. The beer is also quite bready - I suppose the yeast had something to do with this.

F: Nice and bready. Perfect for an American wheat ale.

O: A very solid beer. For its style, it's rather good. (669 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into wheat glass. Very light yellow half finger head disappearing. Good lacing. Smell is lemony a little yeast but super subtle. Taste is light but not crazy light. A lot of carbonation. Lemony. Hops, yeast almost like a euro lager such as becks or st pauli. I liked this a lot (284 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Overall a good beer, not quite as heavy as some other wheat beers and with a much crisper taste. Not as thick feeling, and the citrus tones are down some from other witbiers. (174 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

Taste, colour not bad as such. But tastes very light which presumable is due to the low alcohol content being only 4,2% for this beer. A wheat beer should have minimum 5% in order to be full bodied. Increase alcohol content, and this will be a great beer. (255 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a beautiful light gold, fairly clear. Head is plenty as is with most wheats. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is sweet, candy-like with hints of grain. Taste is of yeast, sweetness and a light ending of bitter, very light. Overall a good wheat, slightly sweeter than most I have had. Feels good and slick on the palate. A very very light wheat.. (343 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance- Golden yellow color, slightly hazy, and sediment clearly visible. Barely pours a one finger head which dissipates very quickly.

Aroma- Very muted with some notes of lemon and dry wheat.

Taste- Nothing spectacular going on here, but nothing bad either. A snap of hops that give lemony flavors are big up front followed by a wheat malt that leaves for a dry finish. Slightly watery towards the end as well.

Feel- A well carbonated, crisp, and easy drinking beer.

Overall- Just a simple beer, but its definitely got its place for me whether it'd be for a cookout or quick afternoon beer to go with lunch. At 4.2% abv its a good session beer that I'd imagine could convert alot of budwesier drinkers (a little cannabalistic for inbev, but I really don't care). When I need something light or for session purposes this is a solid bet that I'd gladly revisit. (880 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

@ Goose Island, O'Hare

Clear gold with a quick to dissipate head.

Mild cascade citrus aroma. Bubble gum. Bread dough dominant as it warms.

Snappy: mild clove spice and prickly hop spice make it so. Fruity pebbles like Leinenkuge'ls but better. (249 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a hazy yellowish-brown. Aroma is very muted, with a slight wheat aroma. Taste was similarly muted, slightly bitter, but not unpleasant. Wheat, bread and a little lemony flavor, with a bit of a bitter finish that lingered too long. Very thin mouthfeel, not overly carb'd. Overall, not one of the better representation of the styles, but not a bad beer at all. (364 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -9.3%

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle poured for appearance

Appearance (4) : thick, stark white 2 finger head with a semi-transparent golden glow. Almost a gold dust color. Head recedes at a moderate rate leaving some interesting lace on the glass. It just sticks and stays. I like that.

Smell (3) : Well, like a dumbass I just spilled my beer all over my computer desk. So I guess I'll just continue my review from here.

I get some orange peel, slight lemon zest with some wheatiness. A very clean smelling beer with a lot of overtones. I hope this is accurate. Half the beer is gone, wiped up into a towel.

Taste (3.25) : Not bad for a wheat but a tad bitter in the middle of the body, but ending well with a rich zesty wheatiness on the finish. The bitter is somewhat lemony, and a lot like an amber ale, but I suppose that could just be the character of the ale itself coming out. Fairly smooth. Nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel (3) : Heavily carbonated but the wheat helps make it slick. I don't have much left to go by. It's almost gone. As I said, I hope this is accurate. I've only had about 4 oz to test from. Zingy in its mouthfeel. Yet again slick though. A little watery. I guess that's it.

Overall (3.12 - just like its name) : To make lemonade out of lemons, I'm glad it wasn't another beer that got spilled. So I guess that's my roundabout way of saying that it isn't the best beer that's graced my lips. It ain't half bad but I've sure had better wheat beers. I haven't had anything from Goose Island yet that has overly impressed me, so I guess we'll see what else they have to offer. Still pissed that I spilt my beer. (1,635 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -13.4%

Serving: 12oz bottle at the famous Gerstle’s Pub, Louisville, KY

A: Hazy golden body, actually, this bottle is quite cloudy with a bit of sediment; 1.5 fingers of sticky, off-white head; decent retention and lacing – not bad but nothing spectacular.

S: Not much going on to be honest; musty wheat-like twang, light sweetness, a passing note of faint citrus must be from the hops, but that’s about all I’m picking up.

T: A slightly sweet wheat/grain flavor to open, followed by a quick flash of citrus (lemony)that tries to sharpen things up; aftertaste returns with more of a stale, musty bread note; a bit more expressive on the palate than on the nose, but not by much. Just seems a bit insipid.

M: Unfortunately, this feels thin and approaching what I'd call watery – what carbonation there is doesn’t help the overall appeal when the palate is somewhat bland to start.

O: Just about passable, but not something I’d go out of my way to have again. Perhaps I didn’t get a fresh bottle? (The sediment makes me wonder…). Either way, this is a style that I just have not had a lot of luck with. (1,125 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

A 355ml bottle with a BB of July 2014, so it's just out of date. ABV stated as 4.4%. Purchased a while back from a supermarket. Been meaning to try this for some time now.

Poured into a straight pint glass. Bottle conditioned. A pale golden hue with plentiful fine sediment and medium carbonation. Yields a decent head of white foam that lasts for a minute or two before reducing to a patchy surface layer. Aroma of light, grainy wheat with hints of earthy yeast, bread, husk and faint stewed leaves. Subtle but pleasant enough.

Tastes of light wheat with a lingering dry finish. Notes of grainy wheat, earthy yeast, mild husks, subtle grass/hay, a twinge of lemon, faint floral hints and stewed leaves. Well-attenuated, followed by a delicate yeastiness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, dry and lightly tingly, with pleasant carbonation and decent body for the style. Mildly astringent, accompanied by an aftertaste of wheat grain, earthy yeast and faint stewed leaves.

Thirst-quenching but uneventful - an average wheat beer. Looks alright, while the aroma and flavour are dominated by dry yeast and wheat notes with faint hop undertones. Body is OK if a tad light. Goes down easily enough; would be nice on a hot day. Nothing to write home about though - no need to hunt it down. (1,290 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle to glass

A- pours a slightly hazy pale golden yellow color with a fizzy white head that eventually disappears completely, leaving nothing behind

S- toasted malt and wheat, hint of grass, pretty typical american wheat atoms

T- toasted wheat mixes with a hint of grassy hops,finishes with a sweet-yet-clean bready maltiness

M- light body with moderate carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a smooth crisp finish

O- pretty flavorful for 4.2% ABV, nothing to get excited about but an easy drinker in the summer (535 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tried this on tap at Turner Field. If I am going to spend $$ for beer, hats off to Turner Field for at least bringing some craft beers along.

Poured a nice one finger head, which held up well on a humid night, in a plastic tumbler. good creamy head, can't wait to see this in a real weissen glass.

Good clean wheat aroma, not the easiest place to try and develop a smell, but it was definitely fresh,

I thought the taste was a good American wheat beer, not as floral, and citrus as the German brews, which I think is a good idea, let the American flavor stand alone. I can always get the true German imports, but I give great thumbs up when the American Craft brews do this type decent.

Mouthfeel was refreshing, but actually had some chew, I liked it very much, and if I was in a regular bar, would have ordered this one for a second go.

Overall, my first Goose Island, and I was very pleased. I will look for it in bottles now, especially when I need to get a decent American Wheat that isn't from a Macro brewery. Give this one a try. (1,043 characters)

312 Urban Wheat from Goose Island Beer Co.