312 Urban Wheat - Goose Island Beer Co.

312 Urban Wheat312 Urban Wheat

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.20% ABV

Hazy straw color, light orange hop aroma, fruity ale flavor, creamy body.

(Beer added by: DrunkMcDermott on 04-16-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 312 Urban Wheat Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received in trade from RC0032 (thanks much!). Poured into a pilsner glass.

A

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint.

Look: hazy, golden body with a thin, white head. Leaves behind pretty good lacing, indicative of the wheat, and it also has a good deal of retention. Good looking.

Smell: I don't know what I was expecting; maybe either a witbier or a hoppy wheat ale, but there's no signs of anything like that. Just a bit of wheat, pale malt and some phenols. Nothing really stands out to me here.

Taste: follows the nose, with a bit of pale malt, wheat, and hints of Cascade and of course, the phenolic flavors. This doesn't really impress me, unfortunately.

Feel/Drinkability: light in body, fairly crisp, easy drinking and refreshing.

Overall: nothing particularly excites me about this and I wouldn't really want to get it again. It could use some more boldness or at least some more complexity. While some beers benefit from subtlety, this beer resembles a light lager a little too much for its own good. I wouldn't bother and would go for a different wheat beer instead. Cheers!

2.78/5  rDev -18%

A: Pours a hazy golden straw body with some small floaties in it. Head is creamy, white, and quickly receding.

S: Nose is very light and simple with an aroma of lemon.

T: Kind of reminds me of a fancy BMC. Flavor is a bit grainy, wheat, & sweet malts.

M: Medium carbonation, light body, thin texture.

O: I didn't think this was anything amazing. Picked this up because my spouse calls it the Obama beer. Just reminded me of an amped up BMC. I would drink it again, but wouldn't buy it for myself.

3.05/5  rDev -10%

Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale is a cloudy, pale straw colored beer with a thin white head that fades to film and leaves decent lacing on the glass. There's not much aroma, just a faint metallic whiff and a note of lemon. It has a very Lively light body with a crisp, dry finish. There's not much flavor; a little wheat with a hint of grassy bitterness. It has good balance. This is like doing it in a canoe, so it goes down quite easily. It has no faults.

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle dated 1/25/11 poured into SA Perfect Pint glass. pure white, creamy two finger head. Beer is light yellow in color with a bit of cloudiness due to bottle conditioning. Small amount of lacing remains as I drink.
I'm picking up some grassy notes with a slight hop aroma coming out. The aromas are rather weak and don't add much to the experience.
Starts mildly malty with a fairly bitter hop finish.
This is a light bodied beer and is quite easy to drink down. It's crisp and fresh and doesn't leave much of an after taste.
This beer looks good, I think its appearance is the best quality about it. The aromas are difficult to detect but the taste is bitter enough to get my attention. Decent for a warm day after doing some work in the garden.

3.28/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Matt for sending me a bottle of this.

A: The beer pours a slightly hazed bright yellow color with a short lived white head.

S: Fairly light on the nose but some definite citrus notes of lemon peel and orange. A decent enough floral hop character is present as well. Sweet bread and wheat in terms of the malt content.

T: Much more yeasty than I had expected. Wheat bread is there, but the flavor is quite light as well. Lemon zest and a mild to moderate tartness. Not as much hop flavor as I had anticipated, given the nose.

M: Light in body with a moderate level of carbonation.

O: As far as the Pale Wheat style of beer goes, this isn't bad, but it's still not something I'd care to drink again.

4.2/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured into a pint glass and it has a cloudy golden appearance with 2 finger head and some decent lacing.

The smell was very good and not skunky like a lot of wheat beers but pretty refreshing really.

Upon tasting you get a crisp wheat flavor that has little to no aftertaste.

I gotta say that this will probally become my new "hot summer day" beer because the smell and taste is very refreshing and my hats off to Goose Island because the two beers I've tried from them have been really good.

3.9/5  rDev +15%

Had on tap at firehaus

The color of this beer was a nice pale yellow color with a solid inch of foam for a head.

The smell of this one is a grainy note with hints of mild floral hops and possibly a little honey

The taste of this one begins with a huge bread baked taste that opens up to a nice wheat flavoring then closes off with a sweet maltiness that balances out to an earthy after taste.

The mouthfeel of this one was a little wet and on the light side.

Overall this is one of my favorite home town brews and the brewers at goose island never seem to let me Down. This is my standard go to craft beer at the various pubs around Illinois.

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF #4

Blind Beer #13 thanks to Khazadum.

Down to the final 3 brews, so decided to crack this brew during Ohio State's beating of George Mason.

Live review...

Poured into my Aventinus weizen glass. What a nice change from the past dozen. Pours a light pale yellow with a gigantic white pillow top. This head slowly crawls back down the glass leaving some unique mountainous formations in the foam. Persistent lace dancing on the glass walls as I drink.

I'm afraid my vocabulary for clean lagers could use some development, but we've definitely got a nice lager here. There's some slight ammonia that reminds me of citra hops, but not in a skunky way. Also a little grassiness and a VERY strong bready yeast aroma. I'm thinking something like a helles or german pils. Get a bit more grass as it warms as well as more honey.

Packs way more flavor than the color would have me believe. Great honey biscuit taste all the way through to the finish. I don't know that I've had this exact flavor before, but I'm definitely thinking a nice munich helles now based on the malt bill. Wouldn't be surprised if it's got some american hops though.

Incredibly sweet finish. Perfect carbonation. Actually much more body than I expected, but it really works for this.

Definitely a super drinkable beer. It's not crisp and clean enough to be a hot day lawnmower beer, but this seems like a perfect spring lager.

Still thinking Munich Helles and can't think of anything better. This is definitely a beer I would use to introduce

Rating as such: 4.5/3.5/3.5/3.5/4

The Reveal: Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat!

What?!?!? I should've known from the "urban" hint on the paper plus the weizen glass. however, this is nothing like what I remember this beer to be. I've only had it on tap though, so interesting...I got some banana from the first pour, but I assumed that was my mind playing tricks on me due to the glass. Wonder what yeast they use.

I think the wheat explains the body, but the first 16 oz. of this are incredibly clear. Bottle says unfiltered so I decided to shake up the bottom 6 oz. and blend with what's left in my glass to see what that does...

Still pretty darn clear and just a slightly more yeasty aroma. Funny when I reread my review I say "VERY strong bready yeast." You'd think I would've thought hefeweizen.

Re-rating as a wheat beer doesn't really change any of my scores, surprisingly. I always had a somewhat negative view of this beer, but I also always recommended it to non-craft loving friends whenever I was in Chicago, so at least that's consistent.

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a very pale yellow with a fliuffy white head. Looks like a wheat beer should.

S: A bit of wheat tang and caramel, but everything is pretty subdued.

T: Crisp wheat highlights the taste, with soft hops and some sweetness in the back.

D: A great session beer and a great introduction to craft beers. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, but the ease of drinking is great.

Overall: Nothing mind-blowing about this beer, but I think it accomplished its mission. This is an easy-drinking, light, subtle brew that will appeal to all sorts of people. No one will absolutely love this, but I can't see how anyone would hate it.

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

poured into a tall glass, the beer is a murky light yellow color with a white head.It dissipates fast and leaves some lacing on the glass.
The smell hints citrus, lemon,bread, grain.
tasting the beer those flavors are confirmed, but are relatively weak. Up front you get the fruit, in the middle the grain and bread, at the end some malt. I could not detect much hops.
The feel is fresh, due to good carbonation, but I would categorize this beer as very light bodied, almost weak, but very drinkable, like you would be enjoy in hot climate.
Overall a beer which is just above average.

4.15/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Very pale light yellow. Effervescent 1 1/2 finger bready white head.

S: "Beery." Rich, grainy, resinous.

T: Wheat (duh). Nice round flavor. A little biscuity but bright. No unnecessary fruit or spices. Clean.

M: Crisp.

D: Very good wheat beer. One of the few I enjoy with a lemon (forgive me), although it is completely unnecessary.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

The 312 was served in a pint glass. Color was a hazy yellow, with small yeast particles. I wasn't able to pick up much with the scent as the pub I was in had it's own overwhelming scent that really stood out. The body was very smooth, nice and creamy with a pleasant crisp, fruity flavor. This would be extremely enjoyable in the summer. I can see it being very refreshing on a warm day and easily enjoying quite a few of these.

3.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Hazy pale yellow body with some floating yeast particles. Big three finger white head that dissipates and leaves a little lacing along the sides of the glass. Looks good.

The nose is a little thin. Some grainy malt with a hint of lemony citrus. Not much else.

The flavors are very similar to the aroma, but a little more pronounced. A few more hints of spices and a touch of tangy hoppiness.

Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. Decent summer beer.

3.73/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer tapped into a 20 oz. pint glass at Bar Louie in Bolingbrook.

A: hazy, pale yellow color, presents a thick white head that slowly falls into a good cap with decent lacing.

S: lemon, wheat bread, floral hops.

T: lemon, a bit of wheat beer spice, a pleasant mineral crispness in the finish. Very simple and refreshing.

M: light bodied, watery to lightly silky texture, plentiful carbonation.

D: a good lawnmower beer, and not much else.

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%

Served in a Devil's Backbone weizen glass.

The 847 reppin' the 312. ...Or is it t'other way 'round? I can never remember. Either way, this stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by over a finger of white mini-froth. The nose comprises wheat, lemon peel, light coriander, and flowers. The taste, unfortunately, leans excessively heavily on the wheat and flowers, allowing the fruitier notes to fall by the wayside. In the end, not much is goin' on on my tongue. The body is fairly light, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, an okay brew, something I could see downing to cool off in the summer or something, but not something to purposely seek out for only pleasure.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

Upon pouring it was a nice hazy yellow color with a fluffy white head to it.

The smell was rather tame with hints of citrus and hops.

The taste is a very nice refreshing Light grainy hops and lemon zest.

The mouthfeel is light and fizzy.

This will be a great hot sunny day beer to have cold after mowing the lawn.

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours hazy yellow in color with a huge 3 finger frothy white head that faded very slowly and left excellent sticky foam lacing clinging to the glass; the head looked like a fluffy snow white cloud, and the beer had bubbles racing up the brew. Very small yeast particles floating in the beer.

Very faint nose overall that smells of citrus, light grains, biscuit, lemon, light caramel and some yeast. It was so timid the whiffs were just above that of a light beer.

Tastes of light grains, citrus hops, lemon zest, light caramel, yeast, biscuit, and some grass, hay, rice or herbs. Flavor was pretty basic.

Mouthfeel was very light and crisp with high, fizzy carbonation, a very light body and an overall watery feel which lead to a clean finish.

Would be a great summer session beer; flavor is just decent/average, much less complex than a Hefeweizen, and not outstanding, but this is highly drinkable and easy to put down. I'd have it again

3.05/5  rDev -10%

A-Pours a translecent pale hazy yellow

S-Has a kinda skunky smell(its not skunked just has that same smell profile) with some ripe citrus notes

T-HAs a tangy followed by a wheat flavor and ends with some bitter lemon flavor

M-Light bodied with good carbonation

D- this is an ok Wheat beer. Not my favorite by GI but will prob. get again sometime!

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

312 has a bright yellow body with just a hint of haze to it, and a thin, white head. Retention is pretty good and there is some spotty lacing left behind.

The aroma has a noticeable amount of hops, with botes of both grapefruit and lemon. The malt is represented too, with both wheat and barley clearly present.

312 balances malt and hops fairly evenly, with the malt coming out on top by a little bit. The hops start things off with a quick zing of lemon zest and some grapefruit. The malt takes over from there, with both a twang from the wheat and the grainy, slightly cereal-like flavor of pale malts. The finish has just a hint of bitterness.

Light bodied and lively carbonation.

I could see 312 Urban Wheat being quite refreshing on a summer day. I, however, consumed it when it was about 5 degrees F outside and it wasn't bad at all.

2.68/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured from a bottle into a Weizen glass

A- pours a translucent pale, hazy yellow, looks a little like a hazy pilsner, nice fluffy two finger head appears and sticks around for a long time, lacing is very spotty

S- ripe citrus hits the nose first, lemon especially, yeasty, slight aroma of spices especially clove but not enough for a good wheat, virtually no banana smell at all

T- slightly tangy followed immediately by bready malt, slight wheat flavor but not a lot, slightly herbal notes brought on by the spices, the citrus is pretty much dominated by a flavor or lemon rind with a slight fruitiness paired with some bitter as well, i feel like this one is lacking a lot of necessary flavors for a good wheat

M- thin body, medium carbonation, could be better

D- this was barely an average wheat beer, it seemed watered down and nearly flavorless, i expected better from goose island who has impressed me with a majority of their beers

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a hazy straw-yellow with decent three-finger head that dissipates quickly to one-finger. Fairly well carbonated, faint smell of esters and something sweet. Taste is slightly sweet, somewhat one-dimensional. Mouthfeel is a little more watery than a the average wheat beer, which scales back the chewiness factor somewhat. That helps give this beer excellent drinkability.

I first had this beer on tap in the Chicagoland area and loved it. It's a simple, refreshing beer to have served very cold on a hot day. And its sessionable ABV allows you to have a few of them, too.

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

A flowery scent with the hint of peaches emerges from the pour. A smooth white head of moderate stature slowly recedes with active carbonation keeping a thin film alive. Some lacing sticks to the glass.

The brew is a hazy, honey yellow color, with just enough clarity to see the shadowy blur of your fingers through the glass.

The flavor is well balanced and almost meaty for a wheat beer; it probably benefits from the lack of filtering. Grain and citrus fruit acidity up front are followed with a nicely matched hop bill to give it a tangy finish.

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured a very bright golden yellow, huge white billowing head, decent retention. Nice side glass lace, good cloudy appearence, lots of carbonation. Very light, lots of yeast with a touch of some lemon maybe, light in aromas, not in overall strength of smell. Very very nice, light palate with a bigtime yeast presence. Lots of grain with a hint of lemon or some other kind of bitter hops, great flavors. One of the best haefe flavor profiles I have tasted. Crisp, clean. very nice carbonation. Great overall feel. Superb, could drink this all night long. Was great when first cold, even better as it warmed up. Just a phenomal Hefe.

Overall I was really quite impressed Just a downright tasty hefe.

1.38/5  rDev -59.3%

Proof that not every beer tastes the same to every person.

It's yellow. Who cares?

Smells of nothing. I mean nothing. I know it's a wheat and smell isn't going to kick you in the nuts but c'mon, give me something.

Taste? What taste? Where's the lemony, zesty pale malt, or anything the hell else?

I get some carbonation in the mouth. Kinda fizzy but nothing even average.

You could drink this all day everyday if you didn't require any flavor. It sucks.

312 Urban Wheat from Goose Island Beer Co.