312 Urban Wheat - Goose Island Beer Co.

312 Urban Wheat312 Urban Wheat

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.20% ABV

Hazy straw color, light orange hop aroma, fruity ale flavor, creamy body.

(Beer added by: DrunkMcDermott on 04-16-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 312 Urban Wheat Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +19.5%

A - Poured a pale yellow...less cloudy than I would have expected for this beer style, but with some traces of yeasty sediment. It seems like most of the yeast just would not come out of the bottom of the bottle, no matter what I did. Bottled on 10/02/08...I've not had this problem getting yeast out of a bottle. The head was fluffy and white with good retention.

S - Underwhelming scent of lemon and wheat. Not overly volatile for sure.

T - Lemon and wheat. This is a milder version of a Hefe to me...lacking in the clove-like phenols usually found in the style.

M & D - Very light mouthfeel...finishes dry with no aftertaste. I can see that this would make for a very sessionable brew in the summertime. I'm pretty sure a cooler full of these would never get old. As a matter of fact, I might just give that a shot to make sure I'm right.

drizzam, Mar 13, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

I am not a huge fan of GI Brewery or the wheat style, generally. However, I found 312 to be a very solid beer and one I would want to drink in warmer weather. I'm sort of surprised it's even on sale in the winter.

It pours a light golden color into my pilsner glass. The head is frothy and white and lasts for about a minute before fading down the sides of the glass leaving short-lived trails. The head leaves more of a curtain on the glass than the body of the beer itself, which is pretty thin.

The smell is very noticeable and pleasant. Lemon, honey and wheat aromas. Very flowery and, if possible, refreshing to take in through the nose.

The taste matches the smell almost exactly. Light fruit and honey with a really clean, and surprising, hop finish. It is highly carbonated (not cloyingly so) and leaves my mouth feeling as though it just had a bubble bath in a room full of scented candles. The slight hop aftertaste makes the thin, fizz aftertaste much more crispy... and of course clean.

The 312 is easy to drink. I wouldn't want the entire sixer but I could drink three or four of them and do it gladly. This is high praise from me as I usually like to change up my beer of choice during any kind of session if for no other reason than variety's sake. This beer is light on its feet and a good one to enjoy more than one of.

Overall, I would recommend this more highly as a summer beer. It isn't particularly complex though it is probably better than your average wheat beer and definitely more refreshing.

Gigantis, Mar 09, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +15%

Presentation: 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden. ~1 finger of white head, which fades gradually, leaving a thin cap. Some lacing noted.

S- A wheaty/lemon mix with honey jumps out at the pour, and spiciness moves forward as the drink warms.

T- Fairly sweet, malty, lemony wheat with notes of honey.

M- Well carbed, crisp, and creamy.

D- Good. Low ABV, refreshing, easy drinker for a heavy session on a hot summer day.

Future outlook: Good. Not a wheat fanatic, but this was a very pleasant change of pace. I can see grabbing some of these for a summer night of pounding beers when the weather heats up.

DoctorDog, Mar 09, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +24.5%

Aroma: Grainy, mild spice, bready aromas up front. No hop aroma. Clean fermentation character.

Appearance: Cloudy, hazy yellow pour. Moderately high effervescence with an ivory white cap.

Flavor: Follows the aroma. Nice and clean crusty and cracker-like malt flavors. Spicy, earthy hop flavors balance the malt. Finish is crisp, clean, and dry.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with high carbonation. No alcohol heat detected. No astringency noted.

Overall impression: A refreshing, easy drinking American wheat ale. Perfect for the return of spring in Central Ohio. Not something I would choose all the time but a well crafted beer.

mattcrill, Mar 08, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Pours golen hazy straw color with thin foamy head. Some lace sticking on the sides.

S- Light citrusy aroma with wheat and lemon.

T- Light clean wheat flavor with mild tastes of citrus fruits (mostly lemon, maybe some orange). The wheat flavor could have been a bit stronger as well as the hops. Virtually no bitterness even though its listed as an APA.

M- Crisp with a really light body. No weird aftertaste. Nice amount of carbonation.

D- Easy to drink with no standout flavors. A decent beer that may have been lacking just a bit on wheat flavor as compared to other wheats and lacking in hops compared to other APAs.

projectflam86, Mar 07, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Vs. the style, this beer is very smooth. Nothing about is overwhelming. Just the right citrus touch. Unfiltered but yet very clear, some yeast sediment on the bottom. It has a good appearance. Wheats usually have a very strong distinct smell but this only has hints of a traditional wheat ale. Considering the drinkability and soft, well balanced flavors, one might think it would be a bit watered down but that is not the case at all. A good beer.

flaminghomer, Feb 28, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +8.6%

A - VERY light, somewhat murky, nice head leaves to ring fast. Sudsy lacing.

S - Wheat, some lemon, kinda clean smelling.

T - Taste emulates smell. Wheat up front, followed by tart fruit and a tad sour finish.

M - Light bodied, plenty of carb.

D - Pretty easy to drink, for sure.

srandycarter, Feb 22, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured into a "tall" pint glass as recommended on the bottle, this brew has an unusual light yellow transparent color with a weak thin white head. The brew has this strange quality that when it settles and sits on my table is seems to have "suspended" yeast that just sits throughout the beer? The aroma is of lemon, yeast, and some light malts. The taste is ok. Not sure what to think of it, carbonation is decent, lighter brew with a hop finish that I was not expecting. I could drink a few of these, but more because they are light and crisp, rather than being a fully satisfying brew.

WJVII, Feb 20, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

A: Fairly clear gold color (for a wheat). Poured a 1 finger coarse white head. Broken lacing.

S: Wheat and lemon zest. That was about it.

T: Grainy wheat malt and lemon. A little spicy hop bite.

M. Light side of medium body. Ample carbonation. Crisp with a really clean finish

D: Very drinkable beer in a very drinkable style. A good American wheat.

Haybeerman, Feb 16, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

Well, pale is certainly apt. A pale, very light yellow, a tad hazy. Latte-foam head displays good retention. Drapery lacing.

Threshed wheat grain to the smell. Slightly tangy, but mostly lacking yeast or more developed wheat aromas.

The taste also lacks much depth. As with the nose, not much yeast aroma or fruit, although I detected just a wee bit of orange. Some "clean" yeasty dust settles on the palate at the end.

Lots of carbonation, but not that prickly. Light bodied and easy drinking. A thirst quencher, certainly.

TheMistler, Feb 15, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +21.8%

Served on tap into a pint glass

A: little head retention, pretty clear

S: Im catching scent of fruity wheat. go figure

T: Malty/fruity combo. finishes clean and crisp

M: light-bodied thirst quencher type

Overall I think this is a solid beer. I don't drink too many wheat beers, not because I don't like them I just like others better I guess. This one however I would come back to. Goose Island does a really good job

LyonsHead, Feb 14, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +43.1%

Let me just say I really appreciate this beer. I am not necessarily a wheat lover, per say, but Goose Island did a great job with this one.
I don't believe that they were attempting to emulate a "hefe" or any other style of wheat beer. This one was created with individuality.
The best part of this beer is the drinkability, hands down. It has a very distinct sweetness, sort of like honey. In addition to its flavor traits, the wheat is bold; this is a great beer for such a low ABV.
Although I respect other peoples' opinions and reviews, I'm surprised this one did not get better ratings.

BenJames1984, Feb 12, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Weizen glass.

A: Light hazy straw. Plenty of active carbonation some sticking to the glass and some rising in pillars. Nice frothy white two finger head. A little lacing - small spots. Good head retention.

S: Wheat of course. Quite fresh like cut straw. A hint of lemon. Very subtle nose in general.

T: Nice and clean as you would expect but I felt like the wheat taste was lacking. It should be light to drink on a warm summer day but at times it was watery. For me, the finish and aftertaste were the most lacking. The hop is very subtle and it is missing that nice thirst quenching wheat ending that brings you back for more. There is a touch of lemon and maybe a hint of coriander or some sweet spice but all in all, it's too weak.

M: Light body which is made to feel lighter because of the watery taste. Plenty of active carbonation as expected.

D: I like a Wheat beer once in a while but this would not be a go-to.

sgoodship, Feb 02, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

I dont see what the big deal is with this beer. I picked up a bomber at my local Kroger thinking this was going be a game changer. I was wrong. It is refreshing, dont get me wrong. It is very clear, akin to a bud or miller. The wheat profile is weak and unpronounced. No hops to speak of. I could drink a number of these on a hot summer day I think. So what is all the fuss about? Maybe this is the "gateway" beer my high school teachers were warning me about..

pumarocks, Jan 30, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

A - Poured a slightly cloudy straw color. The pour produced a thin head of white foam that quickly subsided into a thin bubly film.

S - Nothing over powering. Slightly fruity and floral with definite hints of citrus.

T - Slightly malty with a slight fruitiness. Finishes off crisp and dry.

MF&D - Light and refreshing. Not too big in the taste department, but I could see this one as a decent summer session brew.

nasty15108, Jan 23, 2009

Pours pale straw with a white head that disappears pretty quickly. More lacing than your usual wheat ale. It's also less cloudy than I tend to like my wheat beers.

The smell is on the weak side. Mild near-hefe aroma, but not a whole lot there.

The flavor has a little more punch than the smell, but not by a longshot. It's definitely got a lemony aspect to it. A little touch of hop bitterness too. Nothing great, though.

Mouthfeel is too thin and definitely too fizzy as far as a wheat beer is concerned.

Easily my least favorite GI beer, 312 is so middle-of-the-road that it makes me a little sad. It's just sorta there, which could lead to downing multiples with no problem. Doesn't mean that I want to, though.

BigJim5021, Jan 23, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

A great summer beer named for the are code in and around downtown Chicago. Definately geared for a broader audience, and done very well.

Light and easy drinking with maintaining a true wheat character.

Pours very light and clear, especially for an ale. And not as cloudy as most wheats. Excellent wheat taste with a hint of lemony sourness.

Makes winter a little harder to take. I'll definately be putting back more of these come July.

MillySox, Jan 21, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -2.7%

This is an easy to drink ale, but there's nothing really to write home about. Be careful not to drink this right out of the refrigerator, as it is really surprisingly bad when cold with a terrible mouthfeel. Once it has warmed is it worth drinking.

Still, I'm impressed that Goose Island has so many beers to I find very drinkable, and they are able to do it in large quantities.

spurr, Jan 16, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +24.5%

I bought this beer a couple of months back while traveling in the upper midwest. According to the date, this bottle iis out of date, but it tastes fresh to me.

Pretty golden wheat straw colored brew. Slight head. Tiny bit of sediment but mostly clear. Pleasant sweetish aroma.

The flavor is nice. Crisp. I can pick up some lemony citrus notes (unexpected as I'm drinking it sans lemon wedge). Fairly sweet with some spices and more hops than I would expect from this style.

Very drinkable. Would make an excellent session beer.

Normally I don't like wheat beers that are this light in color, but this one is ok. It almost leans in the direction of a Belgian White beer, but not quite. Definitely sweeter than that.

jmbranum, Jan 15, 2009
3.91/5  rDev +15.3%

Had it on tap at the brew pub in Chicago. A well crafted wheat ale that has a great citrus essence with a good wheat body. Someone else said it's a great beer to have around in the summer and I couldn't agree more.

It's a very refreshing beer that looks as good as it tastes.

Ohiovania, Jan 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +24.5%

Poured into a 312 pilsner glass I picked up on my last trip to the brewery. Pours a cloudy but bright gold color with a half finger of head. Light lacing on the glass. Smells very lemony and citrusy. Taste is also very citrusy, lemon and orange under a wheat body. Very light mouthfeel, very refreshing. Very drinkable, my favorite summer beer. Hard for a beer to be more drinkable than this one IMO.

dakid618, Jan 06, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Bright Cloudy Gold (Unfiltered) with a quickly dissipating head.

Smell: Typical wheat ale aroma with a citris hint.

Taste: Bright/Crisp citrus taste with a sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A Little thick due to its unfiltered texture. Bubbly but not too carbonated.

Drinkability: An Easy drinking beer. This is the beer I will usually buy a 6 pack of and drink it before I hit the cheap stuff during a long night ;) I'm a wheat ale feind and this one is my favorites.

(If you like this beer, try Magic Hat's Circus Boy)

LordFinley, Jan 02, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A. Pale and unfiltered with a soapy head. Lace.

S. Smells of wheat. Slight citric hops in the background.

T. A nice complex beer here featuring malt, wheat and hops. The malt has a slight roasted edge and is pretty light. The wheat adds a bit of graininess and some sweetness. The spicy hops add a hint of lemon and round off this excellent beer.

M. Medium bording on full bodied. Fairly smooth, semi dry finish with a lingering citrus ntoe.

D. This is an solid, flavorful beer with a lot of body given the style. This is the standard by which all american pale wheats should respect.

Stinkypuss, Dec 29, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

Reviewed on 6/22/08. On tap at the Ginger Man. Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a small white head. This was served with a lemon, which obscured the aroma somewhat, I just got some light fruits and faint spices. Flavor predominantly of wheat, light fruits, flour, pizza dough. I found this quite tasty. Perhaps this must be had super super fresh to be enjoyable. Contrary to what the ratings of this beer suggest, I really liked this wheat ale.
6/4/7/4/14 (3.5/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 20, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a clear yellow with short head (1/5 inch) and poor retention. Only very slight lacing. Smells of sweet malt, wheat, and a bit similar to light lager. Fits the style pretty well. Tastes of sweet wheat malts and is very smooth. Relatively sweet and easy to drink. A hint of fruit (lemon probably). Overall, a little weaker body than I would have liked, but very smooth and easy to drink.

Tone, Dec 17, 2008
312 Urban Wheat from Goose Island Beer Co.