Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

312 Urban Wheat - Goose Island Beer Co.

312 Urban Wheat312 Urban Wheat

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: DrunkMcDermott on 04-16-2004

Hazy straw color, light orange hop aroma, fruity ale flavor, creamy body.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 312 Urban Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 848 | Hads: 4,158
3.12/5  rDev -9.3%

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle poured for appearance

Appearance (4) : thick, stark white 2 finger head with a semi-transparent golden glow. Almost a gold dust color. Head recedes at a moderate rate leaving some interesting lace on the glass. It just sticks and stays. I like that.

Smell (3) : Well, like a dumbass I just spilled my beer all over my computer desk. So I guess I'll just continue my review from here.

I get some orange peel, slight lemon zest with some wheatiness. A very clean smelling beer with a lot of overtones. I hope this is accurate. Half the beer is gone, wiped up into a towel.

Taste (3.25) : Not bad for a wheat but a tad bitter in the middle of the body, but ending well with a rich zesty wheatiness on the finish. The bitter is somewhat lemony, and a lot like an amber ale, but I suppose that could just be the character of the ale itself coming out. Fairly smooth. Nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel (3) : Heavily carbonated but the wheat helps make it slick. I don't have much left to go by. It's almost gone. As I said, I hope this is accurate. I've only had about 4 oz to test from. Zingy in its mouthfeel. Yet again slick though. A little watery. I guess that's it.

Overall (3.12 - just like its name) : To make lemonade out of lemons, I'm glad it wasn't another beer that got spilled. So I guess that's my roundabout way of saying that it isn't the best beer that's graced my lips. It ain't half bad but I've sure had better wheat beers. I haven't had anything from Goose Island yet that has overly impressed me, so I guess we'll see what else they have to offer. Still pissed that I spilt my beer. (1,635 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -13.4%

Serving: 12oz bottle at the famous Gerstle’s Pub, Louisville, KY

A: Hazy golden body, actually, this bottle is quite cloudy with a bit of sediment; 1.5 fingers of sticky, off-white head; decent retention and lacing – not bad but nothing spectacular.

S: Not much going on to be honest; musty wheat-like twang, light sweetness, a passing note of faint citrus must be from the hops, but that’s about all I’m picking up.

T: A slightly sweet wheat/grain flavor to open, followed by a quick flash of citrus (lemony)that tries to sharpen things up; aftertaste returns with more of a stale, musty bread note; a bit more expressive on the palate than on the nose, but not by much. Just seems a bit insipid.

M: Unfortunately, this feels thin and approaching what I'd call watery – what carbonation there is doesn’t help the overall appeal when the palate is somewhat bland to start.

O: Just about passable, but not something I’d go out of my way to have again. Perhaps I didn’t get a fresh bottle? (The sediment makes me wonder…). Either way, this is a style that I just have not had a lot of luck with. (1,125 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

A 355ml bottle with a BB of July 2014, so it's just out of date. ABV stated as 4.4%. Purchased a while back from a supermarket. Been meaning to try this for some time now.

Poured into a straight pint glass. Bottle conditioned. A pale golden hue with plentiful fine sediment and medium carbonation. Yields a decent head of white foam that lasts for a minute or two before reducing to a patchy surface layer. Aroma of light, grainy wheat with hints of earthy yeast, bread, husk and faint stewed leaves. Subtle but pleasant enough.

Tastes of light wheat with a lingering dry finish. Notes of grainy wheat, earthy yeast, mild husks, subtle grass/hay, a twinge of lemon, faint floral hints and stewed leaves. Well-attenuated, followed by a delicate yeastiness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, dry and lightly tingly, with pleasant carbonation and decent body for the style. Mildly astringent, accompanied by an aftertaste of wheat grain, earthy yeast and faint stewed leaves.

Thirst-quenching but uneventful - an average wheat beer. Looks alright, while the aroma and flavour are dominated by dry yeast and wheat notes with faint hop undertones. Body is OK if a tad light. Goes down easily enough; would be nice on a hot day. Nothing to write home about though - no need to hunt it down. (1,290 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle to glass

A- pours a slightly hazy pale golden yellow color with a fizzy white head that eventually disappears completely, leaving nothing behind

S- toasted malt and wheat, hint of grass, pretty typical american wheat atoms

T- toasted wheat mixes with a hint of grassy hops,finishes with a sweet-yet-clean bready maltiness

M- light body with moderate carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a smooth crisp finish

O- pretty flavorful for 4.2% ABV, nothing to get excited about but an easy drinker in the summer (535 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tried this on tap at Turner Field. If I am going to spend $$ for beer, hats off to Turner Field for at least bringing some craft beers along.

Poured a nice one finger head, which held up well on a humid night, in a plastic tumbler. good creamy head, can't wait to see this in a real weissen glass.

Good clean wheat aroma, not the easiest place to try and develop a smell, but it was definitely fresh,

I thought the taste was a good American wheat beer, not as floral, and citrus as the German brews, which I think is a good idea, let the American flavor stand alone. I can always get the true German imports, but I give great thumbs up when the American Craft brews do this type decent.

Mouthfeel was refreshing, but actually had some chew, I liked it very much, and if I was in a regular bar, would have ordered this one for a second go.

Overall, my first Goose Island, and I was very pleased. I will look for it in bottles now, especially when I need to get a decent American Wheat that isn't from a Macro brewery. Give this one a try. (1,043 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Serving Type: 355 mL can poured into a plastic United cup while at 27,000 feet.
Appearance: Slightly hazy, light golden yellow. Quickly dissipating frothy head off larger bubbles. Leaves good lace in a plastic airline cup.
Smell: Very mild yeast and citrus.
Taste: Lemony citrus against yeasty bread. Light and refreshing.
Mouthfeel: Light bodied not overly carbonated.
Overall: Innocuous and pleasant while airborne. Unlikely to seek out while on the ground, but happy to choose given limited options. (502 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I'm a bit surprised at some of the earlier reviews for this beer. I don't know if it has been revised at some point but a lot of the descriptions don't seem to match the batch I'm drinking.

The appearance for starters, is a deep copper color. On the pour there's a full but fleeting head for this style. The smell is pleasant with strong notes of hops and citrus fruit.

The taste is excellent. Light as you would expect from a wheat beer, with greater depth from the malt, hops, and citrus. It comes just to the line of crossing over into being too "hoppy". I'm definitely a fan of this brewery now, having tried a few of their other offerings and this beer in particular. I know a beer is good when I'm surprised out how quickly I'm emptying a glass. (753 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

03-15-2013 & 03-15-2012 With an outside temperature of only about 36F this pleasant reminder of summer is a bit out of place.

Summer 2012 Right up my alley. Crisp w/body. Hoping they keep it on all summer.

06/27/11 Nice. Creamy rather than crisp. Hoping they keep it on all summer.

07-27-2011 Tried on tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Nice. Creamy & crisp w/some body. Sounds like a contradiction but isn't. (404 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

I know I tried this a looong time ago, before GI was bought (twice, I think), and sold. It doesn't seem to be any different - maybe it's worse. I remember being unimpressed before, as I am now, but with a rebate making these $4.99 for 6, I had to get one.

It's very yellow with little head or lace. The aroma is sweet, weak, wheat, I guess. The taste is a pretty light, wimpy sweet, slightly interesting wheat beer taste. Pretty refreshing, with a clean aftertaste.

I now have a fridge full of this, the pale and the wimpy IPA from 312. Fortunately there is other stuff in there too, but these are pretty decent beers for the afternoon of yard work I am putting off to write this review. (690 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

312 Urban Wheat brewed by Goose Island Beer Co. This brew pours out a cloudy amber color with a small white head. This is an unfiltered brew like most wheat beers. Keep in mind, this brew has an abv of 4.2. The smell is citrus and beer. This brew has the smell of most wheat brews on the market. The taste is bitter at first but smooth at the end. I like how it is different from most wheat brews on the market. 312 Urban Wheat is a clean and fresh and smooth brew. The mouthfeel is is nice at the end. There is nothing bad about this brew. Overall I giving this brew a 4 out 5 I feel this is a good wheat brew to try out. I would get get this brew again. (655 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

BOD 11/23/13. Fairly clear light golden pour with a good head. Well formed lacing and moderate retention. Light nose of lemon with a hint of banana over a touch of clove against a light biscuit sweetness. Light medium body that is smooth. Normal carbonation level with good effervescence on the finish. The flavor profile is laid back and a bit weak. Some light tart lemon flavor is predominant with only hints of clove. The finish is clean and somewhat crisp. (460 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at the local BWW. Pours a semi-cloudy golden yellow color with a slight bubbly white head. The aroma is weak with grains, wheat, and citrus. The taste is smooth, with a mild grassy grain taste. Not a bad lighter craft brew but really lacks depth in the taste. (266 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

312 Urban Wheat was in a Craft 12 pack. It has a nice pale yellow colour.
A decent 2" foam head. Fluffy and light like Marshmallow Fluff!
The taste is sweet.. if you've ever shucked a few wheat kernels, the smell would be spot on for that memory from the past. This is a nice Wheat, not the best, but pleasant. As part of a variety pairing from a 12, it's ok.. I wouldn't order this in a restaurant, though. .. Maybe too many Hop intense beers have spoiled the more airy wheat offerings.. Tastes Change, though.. If you like wheat ale, you will enjoy this entry.
~Carry On Citizens!!!~
sMc (591 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +16%

Also sampled last night on 5/20/14, though I have had it on draught here locally a couple of months ago as well as from a bottle about 18 months ago. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a .3L 'Dinkel Acker' glass boot.

Pours a hazy straw-yellow with a 1-finger fizzy white head that has some spotty lacing when sipped. The aroma is of sweet malt and wheat. Very nice. Taste was very pleasant with just the right amount of carbonation and just like a good wheat ale should taste. Also has a hint of light lemon and orange . Very easy to drink! I would get this one again. (606 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A hazy golden yellow with a small white head.

Smell: Not strong, citrus like lemon and orange.

Taste: Follows the smell with some wheat, maybe some straw.

Mouthfeel: Light, well carbonated. Easy to drink.

Overall: A little light of the flavor. The taste just isn't there all the time. But still easy the drink and light, so I do not mind it. (384 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle served into long glass.

Light, typical unfiltered look with an amber colour. Some sediment. I've had this on tap and also from a bottle and it's much the same in appearance. It's an attractive look, and always reminds me of summer.

Smell: Very light citrus, would say more of a lemon and orange zest. This is where the spices shine.

Taste: As with all the other reviews, the initial taste is Lemon followed by a straw taste.

Mouthfeel:
Carbonation first, but it's still a very light and summery beer.

Good beer for summer! I enjoy the occasional one in cold weather. (581 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Light blonde, mildly hazy, in fact you can see some of the sediment floating around the ale dancing around with the carbonation floating to the top. Its covered with a thick white foamy head surrounded by a light layer of lacing.
Smell:
Lemon zest, slight orange and some mild spices come through in the aroma.
Taste:
The lemon is the first thing you taste, grass and straw follow. A slight start flavor hits you as you swallow.
Mouthfeel:
Light and filled with carbonation.
Overall:
A good beer over all, very smooth and relaxing although I wouldn’t call it refreshing. (585 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

Clear golden pour with a white head

Smells like straw and citrus.

Tastes like the smell, straw with some lemon. Not very strong flavor.

Mf- light body with a lot of carbonation.

Overall- pretty meh. A decent summer beer at a good price but nothing earth shattering (269 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Hazy dirty straw color. White head recedes to a nice film, good splotches of lacing.

Aroma: Wheat malts, grains, citrus.

Taste: A mellow sweet malt beginning leads into a brighter, more citric middle and finish. There is a fine trace of banana in it too.

Mouthfeel: Light, but with a certain creaminess.

Overall: This is a nice wheat beer in my book. Plenty of taste, and easy to drink in the sun. (442 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: light blonde color, medium haze, small white head
Aroma: very light with citrus notes (grapefruit maybe) slight hop. The aroma is just okay.
Taste: definitely better than the aroma; very nice balance of sweetness and bitterness with light fruit notes
Overall: It is definitely a solid wheat beer; not too risky, just pretty standard. I would recommend it because it is enjoyable and not too expensive. (413 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -9.6%

A - golden yellow with good carbonation and clarity. Foamy white head that shrinks to a wispy white cloud.

S - wheat, lemon peel, grass, grains, some fruit.

T - Follows the nose - wheat, yeast, bitter finish.

O - This is a sessionable pale wheat ale. Decent, but not great. (277 characters)

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Picked this one up along with the 312 pale ale in a mixed six because I tend to like Goose Island beers. Not a great looking wheat, way to pretty and clean with little head. Decent smell but nothing that jumps up and grabs you. But very tasty, excellent wheat flavor that surprised. Clean and crisp with smooth finish. Had to ding it a little overall for low ABV. This is one I would definitely look to get again and considerably better than the 312 pale. (455 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -11.6%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber with a thin white head. Mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Grassy notes with citrus and hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth light to medium bodied. Wheat and light citrus taste.

Overall: Good brew. It would be nice on a hot summer day while grillin'. (295 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Cloudy light yellow body. Small head on top that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Corn, lemon, grass smell. There is a wheat and grains smell as well. Very crisp and enjoyable aroma.

Taste: Wheat and citrus lemon taste. Nice balance with a light body. Crisp and well carbonated.

Overall: Goose Island does a great job with this beer. Very nice crisp and clean beer. Great beer at this time of the year. Enjoyable in every sense and I would recommend. (461 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This one pours an mostly clear and pale gold. A bit more clear than I would expect for a Wheat ale. The head thick and white, very fluffy and long lived as well as leaving decent lacing down the glass.

The nose is sharp hops and malted that is coated with subtle undertones of bread, citrus and some floral notes.

The flavor is a nicely hopped wheat that has a nice semi-fruity malt that is nearly perfectly balanced. There are flavors of bread, lemon, that is finished by the blend of hops that have a nice clean finish.

The mouthfeel is adequate for a wheat ale, a bit watery but not bad.

Overall this one is very drinkable, tasty and not too heavy. I really like it and look forward to drinking more. I see this as a great companion beer to spicy foods like Super hot wings and real boiled crawfish that are not made for tourist. (836 characters)

312 Urban Wheat from Goose Island Beer Co.