2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

312 Urban Wheat - Goose Island Beer Co.

312 Urban Wheat312 Urban Wheat

pDev: 15%

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.20% ABV

Hazy straw color, light orange hop aroma, fruity ale flavor, creamy body.

(Beer added by: DrunkMcDermott on 04-16-2004)
View: Beers (269) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 312 Urban Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,825 | Reviews: 775 | Show All Ratings:
montageman

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Pale yellow color that has a tiny amount of head with some fairly decent lacing - some visibly strong carbonation. Smell is dominated by lemon with a faint bread-like sweetness in the background. The taste is nice at first with some strong lemon character, but then there is an awful artificial sweetener taste on the back end. I'm not quite sure what it is, but man, it's rough. Mouthfeel is fine - carbonation is refreshing, but I've had better version of this style. This would be drinkable if that odd sweet flavor wasn't there. Recommendation to try if you like the style.

03-31-2007 22:59:18 | More by montageman
jar2574

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

This beer is highly carbonated, lots of bubbles and a decent amount of head, which likes to stick to the sides after each drink. I like the appearance!

Smells crisp and a little fruity.

Great taste. Very little aftertaste, but the aftertaste that is there is pleasant.

You can feel the carbonation, but it's a very light, drinkable beer. It would make a great session beer outdoors on a summer day. It is as easy to drink and as refreshing as water, but at the same time it's not so light that you forget you're drinking beer.

03-30-2007 00:15:25 | More by jar2574
HochFliegen

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a cloudy pale yellow with a small bright white head. This beer was poured way too cold. So at first there was little flavor and I was dissapointed, until it warmed some. The scent was very much earthy and slightly spicy. Taste was a lemon zing and slightly grassy. Was a good beer overall.

03-23-2007 00:23:08 | More by HochFliegen
rattech

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Straw yellow with a head that dissipates fairly fast. It looks like an average light colored beer with a slight touch of opaqueness.

Smell: Grassy and slightly sweet. It certainly doesn’t smell horrible though like the appearance, it is unimpressive.

Taste: Wheat and grains. Slightly sweet, I expected a bit more from this… though I am not sure why. It isn’t a horrible beer, but the taste doesn’t make me inspired to buy it again.

Mouthfeel: One word, Average.

Drinkability: It isn’t as easy to drink as one would expect. It is good, but not amazing.

03-01-2007 02:12:10 | More by rattech
Frozensoul327

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy light yellow color with a small head of white foam. Medium to medium low levels of carbonation, with scattered lacing in the glass.

S: Lemony wheat aroma. Light. Some grain and malty husk notes. Fresh. Makes me think of summertime, and how much I miss it.

T: Light flavors of buttery malt and grain mix over a nutty sweet flavor of husk and corn. Mild hop presence. Not overly complex, but still quite enjoyable.

M: Light. Simple. Zesty across the palate. I like it.

D: Pretty good. Hope I can find this come the warmer months of July and August.

02-03-2007 05:00:39 | More by Frozensoul327
kajerm

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

312, you've been a friend to me. when all the other girls in the room smell adjuncty and metallic, you're all citrus and wheat. you have a nice white head on you if the bartender knows how to pull your cool-looking tap handle just right. when I'm in a dive in chicago, and it looks like a BMC night, you rush in to save the day.

I wish you weren't filtered. I wish you were wheatier and yeastier, more hefeweizen and less "urban."

but you go just perfect with a slice of lou malnati's stuffed pizza, so I just can't hate you.

01-26-2007 04:50:55 | More by kajerm
AltBock

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

12 oz. bottle with a sun yellow label with a drawing of the Chicago skyline in the background. In the middle of the label is a lemon yellow rectangle with the name of the beer in it, "312." I'm guessing that this beer is named after Chicago's area code. On the back is a black label with the Government warning, proper serving glass, and a clearly marked best when consumed by date of February 21st, 2007. It says that the proper serving glass is a tall glass. A tall glass could be anything, but I'm guessing they mean some kind of Weizen glass. Done and Done. There is a neck label that is striped with yellow, black, and white stripes and the Goose Island symbol. The Goose Island symbol is that of a smiling white goose giving his happy or sometimes mad "HONK" call. I know nobody cares, but this would make my first Goose Island beer. It's about time!

Appearance: When poured into what Goose Island calls a tall glass (Weizen glass), the beer was a hazy light lemon yellow with a goose feather white head of foam that had to be half an inch or smaller in height. I would have thought the head of foam would have been a bit bigger, but not this one. It dissipated away in a matter of 3 seconds and only left a touch of white rings and white lace around the glass. You could also see that this beer had a ton of carbonation bubbles just racing to the top of your tall glass.

Smell: Not much was there and the only things I could get out of it was malted wheat, burnt wheat, cereal, hint of cloves, and a small tart lemon in the background. I know this is what it's supposed to smell like, but I just couldn't pull myself on giving more than an average 3 score for the smell.

Taste: I had the same dilemma with the taste. I just couldn't see myself giving this beer more than an average 3 score because it's really light in flavor. The initial taste was the same as the initial aroma, malted wheat and then burnt wheat. After that it was bit different from the aroma. After the wheat I could taste cloves, a few spices, a dabble of juicy fruits, and a small tart lemon in the end. The lemon clearly stands out from the other fruits in the taste. You'll notice it.

Mouthfeel: It was light, had plenty of carbonation, and was actually quite refreshing. It was so light that it goes down smooth with a small aftertaste of malted wheat. The aftertaste reminded me of the aftertaste you get after eating the cereal "Wheaties."

Drinkability: I had to give it a 4 because it disappeared way too quick. Did the Goose Island goose drink it down while I wasn't looking? Nope, it was all me. It was so light with some flavor in it that it was hard to put down. Even though I was drinking this in the middle of winter, it was still quite refreshing. If it's this refreshing in the winter time, I would like to see what it's like in the summer time.

01-13-2007 03:54:28 | More by AltBock
chadspivey

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

poured into an oversized pint glass.

A: pours a golden yellow with a small one finger head. kinda cloudy, looks like theres bits of "pulp" in it.

S: can smell grains, hints of citrus fruits, maybe lemon

T: tastes grainy, like cereal. slight hints of lemon. A decent wheat beer, definitely drinkable, kinda sweet, but not as much flavor as I would expect from goose island.,

M: kinda thin, like a macro lager.

D: Very drinkable beer. Theres something missing here though, theres a lot more wheats out there that I would drink before this one.

12-24-2006 21:58:00 | More by chadspivey
neonbrown82

Nebraska

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

I just realized that I hadn't reviewed this beer before, though I have had it several times in the past. One of my friends left a single bottle in the fridge, so I thought I would take advantage of it, since it's not a beer that I would ever want to buy for myself, yet it is not so bad that I would refuse to drink it outright.

The beer pours to a bright yellow color, quite hazy from suspended sediment. I always pour the sediment into my wheat beers, but rarely does it look so unappealing. Is this supposed to be bottle conditioned or is it just chunks of protein that develop in shitty, old out-of-date beer. The thing is, according to the freshness code on the back of the bottle, this beer is supposed to be good for another four months (and wheat beer doesn't typically have a long shelf life, as you surely know). Aside from the light carbonation, the sediment makes the beer appear completely stale. Other than that, everything appears alright. Nice tall white head and good retention, as one would expect from a wheat.

The nose is not pleasant. A hint of banana and lemon spruce things up, but not enough to cover up the negative aspects. Mostly just cheap hay-like wheat malt, however. Bleh.

The taste is similar. Not quite as dirty. The best part of this beer, but still not particularly good. I am even a huge fan of wheat beer, but this is frickin' horrible. Given how much I have enjoyed other Goose Island beers, I am surprised at how cheap and shitty this beer appears to taste. If I wasn't sure of the freshness, I would think this beer was crazy old. Could be lightstruck, but this seems to be a different beast.

I take back what I said earlier... this beer IS horrible enough that I will refuse to drink it again, but only if there is not a better option. The chances of that is zero, however, as any bar that would stock this would definitely have something better. Honker's for instance.

12-18-2006 08:05:46 | More by neonbrown82
zeff80

Missouri

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours out a cloudy, golden-yellow color with a fluffy one-finger head. No lacing.

S - It smelled of fruits, wheat and yeast. There was a sweet aroma, as well.

T - A great blend of fruits and wheat. Also, a sweet kick.

M - It was crisp and light-bodied.

D - A very good Am. Pale Wheat Ale. A great combo of wheat and fruit tastes.

12-14-2006 04:03:58 | More by zeff80
Wasatch

Utah

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

A trade from jhammerly. Pours a cloudy yellowish color, nice carbonation, head quickly disappates, basically no lacing afterwards. Scents of malts, hops, wheat, yeast, and some citrus. The taste is grassy like with a dry finish. Light-Medium body. Drinkable, not a bad brew at all, would make an excellent summer time session brew.

12-06-2006 03:35:58 | More by Wasatch
GregBrewski

2.6/5  rDev -23.5%

Has a hazy yellow color with little head. Smells fruity, orange and lemon mostly come through. It has a very light taste, some spice is noticeable. Is also high in carbonation. Not impressed with this one from Goose Island. They definitely have better offerings.

12-02-2006 00:49:09 | More by GregBrewski
BeerBelcher

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

This was on-tap at the last hotel I stayed at when visiting Chicago.

Appearance was an odd semi-transparent appearance. It was only a bit cloudy and still transparent. Usually, it seems beer commits to either being cloudy or clear and sparkling. This one seems to straddle that line, which is not extremely endearing.

The beer came with an orange garnish, which seemed to dissipate the head.

Odor was mild and slightly sweet, possibly due to the orange slice.

I discarded the orange garnish, but the beer still tasted sweet with an artificial citrus sweetness reminsicent of Blue Moon Belgian White Ale. It seemed almost like the orange slice was meant to explain this chemical artificiality, although my orange slice never got close to my beer. Other than this unpleasant citrus astringency, the beer was OK.

I don't plan on having this again. Honker's Ale and the Christmas beer from Goose Island are much, much better.

12-01-2006 04:00:00 | More by BeerBelcher
SuperSpy

Georgia

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

Pouring this into a pint glass, the beer is golden and hazy, with plenty of little bubbles working their way to the top. The head takes up nearly 2 inches of the glass and is pure white, but leaving behind lots of lace as it slowly dies down.

The aroma is grassy with some lemon, but not very strong. The beer has little taste but is light and prickly on the tounge.

Overall I would say this is a pretty boring beer, but I would drink it in a world of macros. I would expect more from Goose Island.

11-29-2006 01:53:38 | More by SuperSpy
Westsidethreat

A: Dull apricot color with some haze going on. Head is snow white and thick.

S: Curacao, lemon grass and wet hay.

T: Limestone, subtle lemon, mellow young grains. Finishes grassy and somewhat dry.

M: Thin with a hard texture.

D: Boring beer, but this is an American wheat after all. Probably would be better with a lemon wedge.

10-22-2006 23:53:22 | More by Westsidethreat
Jimbo07

Hawaii

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

Cloudy yellow, hard to get a decent head but I won't hold that against it so much. The taste is a smooth at first, and then it is followed by a burst of hops (at least I think I know what hops is now). In the end I would love to drink again. Cheers!

10-22-2006 16:09:49 | More by Jimbo07
terrabyte

Wisconsin

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

This pours a cloudy, bright yellow color. The white head was short and foamy.

Smells airy and grassy. A floral smell with a hint of lemon. Not as strong smelling as some wheat beers.

The first thing I noticed about the flavor is the lack of it. The taste upfront is quite muted compared to others of its style. During the swallow there is some of that telltale lemon-wheat flavor. The aftertaste has quite the sour citrus twang.

Feels very thick in the mouth, especially at the beginning where there isn't much flavor. It sticks out and makes you think of liquid biscuits. Can seem too creamy at times. Follows through smoother and almost crisp & refreshing, except the aftertaste distracts.

This is a bit too bland and heavy for my personal drinkability.

Overall, this is a mellow beer. Not too harsh or extravagant in any direction. I can see people liking this if they're taking a break from their macro beers (As was I long ago with Spotted Cow) I think more experienced palettes can find better Wheat Brews out there.

10-17-2006 15:36:40 | More by terrabyte
SchaefMan

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

This was a decent beer, but I was not overly impressed. I compare this wheat beer to my favorite, Hacker Pschorr Weiss. By comparison, the taste was weak. There was a citrus taste to it, which was refreshing, but I like a stronger beer. On it's own, it was alright, but I would not buy it again.

10-07-2006 02:55:51 | More by SchaefMan
pmcadamis

Found this on tap at Mowie's Cue in Springfield, and it was served in it's own slender 312 weizen glass. This one is lemon yellow and hazy with a small cap of fizzy bubbles.

The scent is very weak, but I smell mainly lemon hop notes.

Refreshing and light bodied, this one is lemony and quite highly hopped. This is an interesting blend of a wheat beer and a pale ale that is worth trying. I would like to pick up a sixer of this next summer for sessioning.

10-02-2006 02:12:32 | More by pmcadamis
nortmand

4.08/5  rDev +20%

Very light yellow with a big fluffy head and some lace. A bit light colored and not cloudy enough for my wheat tastes.

Smell is dominated by grassy graininess. Smells a bit like a cheap lager were it not for the citrus notes.

Some citrus and hops midtongue. Leaves a tartness on the tip of the tongue that is an interesting counter balance to the touch of bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Medium bodied, very drinkable, but not outstanding overall.

09-03-2006 22:27:23 | More by nortmand
thaichile

2.38/5  rDev -30%

Pours a light yellow with a large head that quickly disapates leaving decent lacing. Nose is light, bready with a very thin fruity component. Flavor is watered down, somewhat skunky, apple juice. It's not undrinkable, just not something to be seeking out. Thanks to JeffKrenner for the bottle.

08-26-2006 11:33:54 | More by thaichile
supercolter

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Decent appearance but nothing special. Had some decent lacing but not very much head.
Not a real discernable smell. There is some sweet malt but not too much else going on.
Taste is rather good. Nice fruity flavor with a bit of malt backbone.
Mouthfeel and drinkability are decent as well. Not too carbonated but not a lot of body.

08-23-2006 07:13:10 | More by supercolter
mynie

Indiana

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

Wooo, finally found my notes for this one. Drank at the Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago at the end of July 2005. It was cool of GI to sponsor the fest, and even cooler to charge such reasonable prices.

Pours decent. I asked for a head, and they gave it to me, but it went away real quick like. Dark gold besides with no haze, no floaty bits.

Smells like very like wheat grain. That's it. Almost nothing there.

Tastes the same as it smells. Very, very light wheat. No spice, no complexity. Just a blank canvas.

I've had non-beer friends recommend this to me. To them, it's a flavorful change of pace. To me, it's pretty crappy. Still, it's a good hot day slammin' brew with a thick body that makes it go down smooth as silk.

08-21-2006 04:03:33 | More by mynie
box299

1.25/5  rDev -63.2%

I have to say that I have been a long lover of the Goose Island beers but this summer I think they have "Jumped the Shark".

312 is mass produced junk that the beer distributors are now forcing on all the Chicago Street Fests... In some places it is the only beer made available... I would actually prefer a Bud to this stuff...

After reading the other review I wonder if there is a possibility that the bad taste really comes from the Giant beer truck used to pump keg after keg this summer...

The taste is sour and stale and it leaves a nasty aftertaste. I am pretty much of the belief that If I have beer and a brat I should be able to taste both of them... Not if the beer is 312...

It is safe to say that this beer doesn't really compare to either a German style or a Belgian style wheat... The color is pale cloudy yellow as you would expect. It's really the taste and the after taste that just make this a very poor choice for Goose Island to major marketing push.

So if you are going to a Chicago Street fest.... sneak something in a baby stroller

08-18-2006 14:51:40 | More by box299
semihobo

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Case from CostCo for $20, fresh dated through December.

Big frothy head, settles fast to a nice cap of bubbles. Straw yellow. Neat bottle.

Wheat and lemongrass on the smell ... maybe that's just lemon and grass. Some straw, a little tang and sour from the lemon scent. Slight breadiness from the malt.

Very wheaty on the taste, slight hops, lots of lemon. Not sweet, more like the grains of paradise spicy side ala Sam's Summer Ale. Simple but tasty.

Big mouthfeel at first with big carbonation but settles midway through the gulp into a refreshing thinness that goes down easy, neat.

Low ABV is nice for the style, not simple in a boring way just in a pleasant and "I get it, it's good" way. Normally pricey but under a buck a bottle I can drink these all day on a sunny afternoon.

08-11-2006 04:49:28 | More by semihobo
312 Urban Wheat from Goose Island Beer Co.