Follow our progress ...

16th Anniversary ESB | Goose Island Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by Gueuzedude on 06-04-2004

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 3
Reviews by silenius:
3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer pours with a frothy tan head with some lacing. Beer is a chilled haze red-brown.

Smell has a spicy note of hops and sweet malt character. Candy apple and brown sugar with a hint of watermelon too!

Hops are restrained in this one and I can taste some watermelon rind in there too. A hint of chocolate and a nutty dryness in the finish. There is an odd slight plastic note in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was dry but the beer went down smooth. Nothing special.

Drinkability is OK. I ordered a hefeweizen next.

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a deep copper-red color. The taste is malty but there is a sharp, balancing hop bitterness in the finish. This beer maturely expresses the Fuggle hop character; earthy, spicy, and subtly fruity. Overall this has a good mellow flavor to it, though there is a bit too much astringency in the finish.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Had this at the Wrigleyville brewpub over the Thanksgiving weekend this year. The beer was poured into a wine glass, about 5-6 ounces, so a good size for a sample. The color is very golden wtih one finger of head with good retention and beautiful lacing as I drank the beer. The nose was a touch peppery and full of sweet grapefruit hops giving it a touch of pineapple character. I didn't know the style when I sampled, but the nose led me to think it was an IPA...I was wrong on that note. The flavor was nice, I thought a bit thin at the time, but I think it works well for an ESB. There was good caramel and grapefruit sweetness with a nice touch of bitter to balance it out, but not too much to get in the way. The feel was moderate, not too thick. Overall good. Drinkability was really good. I really enjoyed this beer, and feel it should be bottled. I think it would go over well.

16th Anniversary ESB from Goose Island Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.