Imperial Brown Goose - Goose Island Beer Co.

Imperial Brown GooseImperial Brown Goose

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Old Ale |  9.00% ABV

Blend of Goose Island's 2004 and 2005 Christmas Ales, both of which were aged in 4-year old Jim Beam and 12-year old Heaven Hill barrels.

Bottled once in 2006.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2004)

will1256, Jan 16, 2012

stevefinny, Dec 04, 2011

bsuedekum, Nov 14, 2011

GrindFatherBob, Jun 04, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

I had this after trying a few local porters and stouts at the Bomb Shelter in Milwaukee. Awesome, awesome beer.

A - Dark, rich brown. Like a melted beer bottle.

S - Bourbon cake.

T - Carbonated bourbon. I love these bourbon barrel aged beers. This one tasted like it was beer barrel aged bourbon. Soooo good.

M - I have to go back to the cake metaphor. Like drinking liquid cake.

D - Can I have some more? Seriously? If I didn't have to drive that night, I would have bought three or four more glasses, easy. Shit was pricey, too.

professorninja, Apr 08, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees, then fridged for about 15 minutes prior to opening
2006 BATCH (The only one, so far?)

Pours a nicely dark shade of brown. A very easy pour produces an almost three-finger head of foam. It's light brown in color and very dense and creamy, in appearance. The retention is great and the lacing is in very thick strands that are extremely sticky.
Excellent appearance.

HUGE notes of bourbon, accompanied by a strong oak presence. I can't believe that this is four years old and still has a nose like this. Wow. Definite notes of big, sweet, malts in here, as well. Mild traces of dark fruits and maraschino cherries.

Man, that is tasty. The nose prepares you for a huge bourbon bomb, but what you get is an incredibly well-balanced flavor profile. A big presence of smooth maltiness is met by some great notes of dark fruits. Figs, dates, raisins, cherries, and more. This is all encompassed by a smooth layer of bourbon and some nice hints of oakiness.
This is delicious.

This one is full-bodied and has a mild-to-medium level of carbonation. The carbonation is very smooth and nicely creamy, although it could benefit from just a touch more creaminess.
This is the only thing keeping this one from a perfect score, for me.

This is absolutely tasty and drinkable. The 8.00%abv sure doesn't hurt either. That's low enough to not really worry too much about your consumption rate. Not like you'll be slamming bottles of this, especially at the price, but you could easily nurse a bottle or two, over an evening.
More proof that Goose Island is a world class brewery. As if I needed more proof....

coldmeat23, Jun 16, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Requested 1/2 pour at Bad Apple located on Lincoln Avenue.

Knowing this was a bourbon barrel ale had come to expect the powerful Bourbon County Stout, but no, this was an elegant surprise. While Goose has some hits and passes, the Imperial batch is a standout.

This pours a bright golden brown and was served in a snifter. In fact, the Imperial demands a snifter. It offers the sweet peat and aromas of bourbon coupled with the fine drinkability of a pleasant beer. I 'thought' that Bad Apple advertised this at 10% APV, but it is strong regardless and pleasantly easy to drink.

This is one of finest beers.

jbrown1, Dec 14, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

thnx to my boy sirch. had on 3-28-09

App-nice Brown color (no head since it was a small pour).haze in the color

Ar-DAMN!!! vanilla,bourbon, roasted malts(maybe chocolate malt),maple. theres much more that I couldn't pin point.

T-same as aroma. very enjoyable beer.good it melted in your mouth (no homo).

MF/D- just a pleasure to have, not too heavy but just right.drinks very similar to a Stout.

getkrunkhoe, Feb 02, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Shared a 750ml bottle with my girlfriend after dinner.

Appearance- Pours a muddy brown with a lot of beige, egg white head and good bubbling. Some deep garnet highlights help round out this good looking beer.

Smell- Bourbon hooo.... Lots of Bourbon and oak and vanilla. Very pleasing. Just begs you to sip this beer.

Taste- Starts with a smakck of bourbon, wood and malt. Then the middle specifies the wood into a more oak and beechwood kind of flavor mixed with some strong vanilla and light cream. And of course...bourbon. The finish shows off a little bitterness from the English hopping, nuts, roasty, and BOURBON.

Mouthfeel- Great after dinner, before you go to bed beer. Smooth, complex. Lots of stuff going on with some smooth, yet strong carbonation and well incorporated alcohol.

Bought a bunch of bottles for aging. So I'll keep you guys updated.

scruffwhor, Mar 03, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

I sampled this for the first time at a craft brewfest in 2012.
Goose island said they recently recovered some bourbon casks they had misplaced and this was in them, aging for 6 years instead of the usual 8 months, in the casks. Yes this was batched in 2006.

Wow.
I felt bad with every sip that I was depriving the world of tasting this nectar but like that last dorito in the bag, it was impossible to resist it.

Very smooth and dozens of flavours delivering bourbon like an irish car bomb wrapped in a psychedelic amazing techicolour dreamcoat.

I tried other bourbon stouts and they were not in the same ball park. In fact, this one almost ruined the beer show for me because nothing compared to it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that according to goose island, I killed the last sip. This no longer exists in their possession.
Sorry!

overvolting, Jul 08, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

On-tap at the GI Clybourn brewpub. This batch was listed as 7.2% ABV. Served in a snifter.
Poured a rich caramel color with a shallow head that faded slowly. The smell is full-on bourbon from arms length. Full flavored, primarily bourbon caramel, very similar to Bourbon County Stout, but a little sweeter, more vanilla caramel lighter and less roasted. Tangy lightly carbonated medium body that compliments the lingering caramel aftertaste. This batch is 7.2% ABV and is one hell of a drinker. Comes across as if there's much more to it. Highly Recommended!

jjayjaye, Nov 08, 2009

ajs4bd, Jul 13, 2012

TPONY51, Oct 22, 2013

pzymali, Nov 08, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahhhh. My first review in my new house... not to mention the first chance I've had to review in a while. This one was the perfect pick.

Pours a dark ruby red against a good light. Dense and compact light tan head rests on top for a good while. Good consistent lacing.
Sweet malt is abound. I definately get a bourbon nose on this one. Also a somewhat sour character which I tend to see alot of in barrle aged beers. Almost a touch of chocolate.
What a wonderful flavor! So well balanced it's almost hard to identify the flavors. The bourbon is not as noticeable as in the nose, but more of the oak comes through. Good malt play and some hop character as well as a slight touch of dark and citrus fruit. There is that sour/dry note again. Great F'n beer.
Medium bodied and well carbonated. Definately on the dry side at the finish but I think that's the perfect call for this beer. Other Old Ales seem to be a bit sweeter, but this one nailed whatever it was going for.
Great beer and highly drinkable. Got to say thanks to Stan at Lone Hill for the kickdown on this rather pricey beer. I can't say I'd normaly shell out the bucks for a beer like this, but now I may have to.

BeerRun13, Jun 28, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap at the Winking Lizard. Holy smokes, how did the Beermeister score these kegs? At any rate, thanks for providing such a nice exclusive for a cold January night.

After a bad parking lot scene, I was excited to get in a seat and try this. Waitress got the glass quickly, much appreciated. A nice goblet with a murky brown and plum liquid with a nice head.

I could smell it before I even thought to lift the glass. Bourbon, vanilla, caramel, sweet malt, wow, this smells amazing.

Taste is INCREDIBLE. This may be the best wood aged beer I've ever had. Complex, perfect layers of taste, just amazing. Starts off with a nice bourbon taste that dances with some caramel, then a bit of hops and an amazing wood taste. The wood gives a nilla wafer taste with a dash of coconut. Just exceptional wood aged balance and depth of flavor.

Mouth was good. Nice level of carb, a pleasure to drink! Just a bit of a workout for the taste buds, a bit heavy, but worth it for the great taste.

jampics2, Jan 23, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

Bright amber body topped by a luxurious cream colored head. You can smell the bourbon aroma from 18 inches away. Heavily inflected with vanilla, the aroma has a slight sweetness to the distinct bourbon notes. The flavor is bourbon, again heavy on the vanilla but also backed but some nice brown sugary-malt. Virtually no bitterness is apparent, but it's obviously there to suppress the sweetness. Mouthfeel is super-smooth. Drinkability is good. At first I was thinking I wish i could get a case of this. By the end, I was thinking that even a 12 oz bottle may be too much of this sometimes. Still a wonderful experience I hope to repeat soon.

aaronh, Oct 23, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

on-tap at Romans' in Milwaukee. I believe i've had this once before but was very happy to see it again...

cellphone notes

appearance: served in one of those silly Goose Island mock-chalices...muddy mahogany body with a creamy tan ring

smell: just one whiff of this one reminded me instantly of my love for this beer. smooth bourbon, vanilla and oak, creamy caramel. a divine aroma

taste: great things going on here - everything plays out harmoniously - the effects of barrel aging are perfectly executed. The bourbon is smooth and warming without being abrasive. Vanilla and oak compliments are presented flawlessly. Support is provided by smooth caramel and cream, milk chocolate, toffee, brown sugar and dark fruit

mouthfeel: superb smoothness

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Sep 22, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

A: poured into a Sommeliers Grand Cru

A: Dark mahogany with a red tint. Full tan head – lacing stuck to the glass the entire way down

S: loads of bourbon and vanilla, that last little something may be wood –oak??

M: very smooth and mellow, warming after a few sips. The alcohol is present but not over-bearing.

D: I wish I had another bottle- very enojoyable

kms910, Apr 30, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

2006 bottle. Got this from MrFootstones, thanks a bunch, Brian! This bottle was a Christmas present for my girlfriend, which she got early. She was nice enough to open it tonight and share it with me :) Poured into my darkness snifter:

A - Black/dark brown with a huge amount of head. Creamy white head that dies down eventually but sticks around for a while. Pretty suprised with the carbonation since this is almost 5 years old. Would have given this a 4.25 but I rounded down this time.

S - The smooth bourbon is upfront. Both barrels are united in quite a deliciously smooth dance. Brown sugar is top smell, followed by earth and oak barrel. Butter scotch and nice creamy candy follow along the way. Just great!

T - Creamy, smooth bourbon barrel. Follows the nose with brown sugar, toffee, butter scotch and caramelized candy. It is fantastic! The barrels mix really well here and I'm quite impressed.

M - I'm really suprised that this is soooo carbonated for a beer almost 5 years old, which is slightly the downside for me. Although it is nice that it is carbonated, it is sort of fizzy carbonated and distracts from the smooth bourbon presence that I wanted to feel in the mouth. After the fizz subsides, the smooth, velvety feel sets in and finishes very nicely. But the carbonation...wow!

D - Way to easy to drink. I had this on tap at Busters in the cities a month ago and thought it was crazy awesome...and so did my girlfriend. I just had to get myself a bottle, and thanks to Brian I had the chance to try it again. It's a solid brew and I wish I had more. I'll seek it out again, but it's slightly hard to find. Delicious!

joshuaseresse, Dec 23, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

caramel colored pour with a light head of off white that caps it off rather nicely. Settling down it left a little bit of a light sticky lace along the sides. Aroma was the best I have ever come across. Rich toffee and butterscotch, tons of sweet nectar notes. Candy in all its glory. Perfectly aged with a smooth, perfect profile of vanilla, toffee, and rich butterscotch that will not let up. Rich bourbon flavor just rolls across the palate with a smoothness unlike anything I have run across before. Rich vanilla and boozy notes combine to form a perfect balance of rich sweet notes and oak soaked barrel

mikesgroove, Nov 23, 2011
Imperial Brown Goose from Goose Island Beer Co.