India Pale Ale | Goose Island Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our India Pale Ale recalls a time when ales shipped from England to India were highly hopped to preserve their distinct taste during the long journey. The result is a hop lover’s dream with a fruity aroma, set off by a dry malt middle, and long hop finish.

55 IBUs

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Reviews: 1,143 | Ratings: 4,200
3.64/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Good mild IPA. Possible to mistake for an APA due to low hop presence. But that's OK 'cause I just this week found a local market that sells a full pint can for $1.39. Good malt backbone in this ale. I didn't quite experience the "bold hop finish" that's trumpeted on the can. But it's still a decent beer. Goose Island distributes lightly to Oregon, wish I could access some of their more exotic brews. With no logic involved, I've stopped buying the local In Bev buyout (10 Barrel, here in Deschutes County), but have no problem with buying the 'original' IN BEV acquisition, I guess because it's 1500 miles away and doesn't cause any pain. Back to the beer: at 5.9 a good session IPA that beats the heck out of any BMC swill. Was a bit surprised to read on can bottom that the beer would stay "Brewery fresh" for 180 days after canned-on date. Mmmmmm ??

3.96/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Light gold with white foam and variable lacing.

Aroma: Citrus hops and malt, the malt really comes through. I don't really get honeyed sweetness but get that impression.

Taste: Rather full with hops of course but the malt presence is definitely felt. Hops override but malt is there. Clean, hop influenced finish and slightly bitter hop aftertaste.

Texture: Reasonably full with enough richness to be interesting.

Overall: Nice beer, hoppy enough, malty enough, enough of both to be pleasing yet I get the sense of a middle of the road IPA without flaws designed for wide appeal. Nothing to jump around about but certainly not one to pass on either.

3.45/5  rDev -9.7%

The Borg Collective of beer. It is admittedly difficult for me to separate the company from the product. Goose Island functions like Starbucks does with coffee shops. It's a decent enough product that undercuts other IPAs in bars, replacing them because of the low price for vendors. What we are left with, as beer drinkers, is a sugary, pseudo-IPA catered to the masses. While it isn't horrible, I avoid purchasing on principle.

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Relatively new to IPA. Inviting gold color with a thin white head. Smell is of grapefruit on first impressions. Taste is actually quite citrusy with a bright hop that is drying on the pallett. The mouth feel is clean and crisp. I look forward to comparing this to other IPA offerings.

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pint on draft at Colonial Lanes in Westbrook, Maine. Served in a shaker pint.

Appearance: Clear straw/gold with a big white head of forth. Looks lager-like. Many rings of white lacing on way down.

Aroma: Lots of fruity hops. Citrus, pine, grapefruit.

Taste: Follows the nose. A little malt backbone. Pretty dry. Grapefruit and lemon are the dominant flavors.

Mouthfeel: Not heavy - medium depth, and fairly well carbonated.

Overall: Rock solid IPA. It's still a little odd that it's advertised on the tide of TD Garden, but I'd gladly drink one while watching the Celtics.

3.56/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled date was December 15th, so not the freshest it could have been but still not bad despite the amount of time it must have been sitting in the store.

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Despite being bought out, this IPA is still quite delicious.It hot the spot at a pub where options were limited. The aroma was feint, but fruity and Citrus in origin. The taste was also fruity and grapefruit with a good balance of sweetness and bitterness. Given the options at the time, this IPA worked out well enough. Still sad to see a sell-out...a piece of humanity evaporated into the corporate bull$hit-sphere...

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thought this was a very good IPA, perhaps not great, at least for my palate. I guess I'm more accustomed to the more hop forward PNW IPAs. But, this is a very drinkable beer. I certainly enjoyed it, even if it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

My first sample of Goose Island. I'll definitely be trying other offerings from this brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First time I tried Goose Island pale ale. Very clear orange color and frothy head. You can smell grapefruit and orange scent . very fruity hops. Taste is light and smooth. Not too strong spices but good flavor of the hops. Hints of fruit on the after taste. I would definitely drink this while watching the game or by the beach.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Got on clearance at target, bottle date of Oct 2015.

Appearance: Extremely clear, almost lager-like as others have mentioned. Decent head retention I guess, but I don't care too much about that. Lacing isn't the best, but it's still present.

Aroma: Basic hop smell. Like they just used columbus hops or something. Grapefruit, citrus, and some malty-sweetness comes through.

Taste: The 55 IBU's come through pretty strong. As if all the hops are used to bitter the beer with some leftover for aroma. Again, reminiscent of grapefruit. Not seriously complex. I'm wondering how this beer has won so many awards...

Feel: As others have said, dry finish.

Overall: Not sure what I was expecting with this one. Overall, I admire the clarity of the beer and the aroma the most. The taste was disappointing and the dryness becomes a minus for me.

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at Spokane airport. Can’t believe the high ratings, kind of weak, even for an East Coast IPA. Looks like a lager, hops offer a bitterness reminiscent of a German pilsener, alright, but inappropriate for the style. Was expecting better.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 Ounce Bottle into Tulip Glass

Look: Completely clear. Slightly copper orange. Didn't pour a big head but the head that was there was a nice white. Not much lacing.

Smell: Not very hop-forward. Getting a bit of citrus and a very small amount of hops. Pleasant, but not your typical "hoppy" IPA.

Taste: Not very much hop bitterness (bottle says 55 IBU's). Very slight malt flavor. Good amount of citrus but not very strong.

Feel: Fairly smooth. Light body, a bit dry. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall: Definitely above average, but not too far above average. Good for it's style.

Notes: When drinking this you have to remember that it is an English style IPA so it is not very hop forward in smell or taste. To some it may taste and drink more similar to a hoppy ale.

3.47/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap @ The Piston Broke in Brantford ON. This is a decent pint for those wanting subtle over knock your socks off. It could be a good session beer, but I moved on to other taps after a couple of these. It's a winner, above average brew. Cheers.

3.81/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can poured into a tulip glass

A: Pours a copper burnt orange with a bright white head, not much lacing, good amount of carbonation, head retention is minimal but the head when there was full of tiny bubbles making it look creamy.

A: Lemon, pine, getting some malt aromas, bread, there's a hint of caramel sweetness, aromas are subtle, balanced.

T: First impression, it's balanced, drinks smooth and easy, up front get a hint of lemon and pine, moderate bitterness in the middle, dry citrus forward finish, malt is present giving the beer a nice touch of bread and biscuit like flavors.

M: Medium to light body, good balanced carbonation, dry finish.

O: Not as bad as I expected, it's balanced, has a good amount of flavor and aroma, not a hop bomb, flavors and aromas are subtle, but it's enjoyable, probably won't seek it out again.

3.63/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap @ Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange, NJ.

Had this on tap at a work-related holiday party. The choice was Goose Island IPA or Michelob Ultra. Yeah, I'll take a Goose please.

Light amber color with good clarity and a creamy, white head. Pine hits you initially, followed by sweet caramel malts. Flavor is earthy, piney, and toasty. Dry, bitter finish that sticks to the inside of your mouth. Not overly bitter but nothing exciting either. Medium bodied, maybe a bit too heavy.

Not a bad option considering what my other one was. Mild and unoffensive, but missing that "wow" factor.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Dark copper colour with plenty of carbonation and a massive, thick, off-white head that lasts all the way to the bottom.

Heavy resin nose. Brown bread. Molasses.

Intense resin flavour, just like the nose. Sweet. Bitter

Excellent, thick mouthfeel. Hugs the tongue. Dry, bitter finish.

I don't like the new, dumbed-down 'Goose IPA' label, but this remains a decent AIPA (in no way is this an English IPA - no English hops taste remotely like the hops in this brew!) now widely available in UK supermarkets thanks to AB Inbev. How long before it's diminished by being brewed in the UK under license (like Sam Adams Boston Lager)? Hopefully never.

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

This is an ok beer. Had it on draft at a bar at O'hare. Very average but it went well with my cheeseburger. Doubt that I will get again unless it is a choice between this on BMC.

3.96/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer in a can while at a Cincinnati Reds game, so can't really comment on the appearance of the beer. It did have a nice citrus flavor though with a tiny bit of pine. Overall, it was a very good IPA, I'd drink it again if it was offered to me.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Golden yellow. Light effervescence. Tight head.
Fresh citrus hops with a hint of pine.
An unexpected bready malt flavour in amongst the hops. Decent bitterness.
Not as balanced as a true English IPA but nevertheless a tasty brew.

3.71/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had a 16oz can and on draft. Ale pours a gold amber with a two finger head. Decent fruity aroma, nice citrus burst at the initial taste, balanced malt/hop flavor with a pleasantly bitter aftertaste. Very solid and decent ale that is becoming more widely available; probably because of their association with Inbev. Anyway not sure I'll buy a sixer of this but it's good choice at gas station or local pizza place.

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked up a 12 pack for $9.99 at Market Basket on the advise of a "beer buddy". Glad I did. Not the best IPA I've ever had but tastier than most . I like 'em on the bitter side and this one made me glad I bought it.

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

355ml bottle into a conical 2/3 pint glass. Paid £1.80 for a single bottle.

Pours a bright, clear, orange-copper coloured body with masses of dense, fine streaming carbonation. A one-finger in height, bubbly, ivory coloured head reduces quickly to a thin film but leaves great, solid bands of soapy lacing.

The nose is dominated by bitter hop profiles, predominately citrus and grapefruit notes, but also evident are a decent amount of pine, fresh cut grass and a touch of lighter floral aromas. The taste follows suit with big, bold, resinous pine and fresh cut grass upfront followed by a little spice and some delicate floral notes. A mixture of light bready malts and sweet caramel hints provide a fleeting balance before handing back over to the hops for an increasingly bitter finish. In the mouth it has substantial weight, but a generous amount of lively carbonation make it, crisp, easy drinking, smooth and creamy. The finish is bitter and dry. Pine, spice and grapefruit pith leave the palate with a prolonged, hoppy, slightly astringent impression.

Overall this is a decent beer. To my tastes however the hop profile is just too bitter. I’ll add this one to my growing list of beers to revisit if I develop a greater taste for more hop forward and bitter styles.

3.06/5  rDev -19.9%

This is a fine enough IPA but a bit too malty for my preference. It's possible I suppose that the keg had been around for a while so no way to know how fresh this was. Comes across like a standard east coast IPA to me but the malt was a bit too forward and not enough hop notes of any kind really showing through.

3.41/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I am winnowing down the interminable backlog here at Chez Woody and CANtinuing The CANQuest (tm) in the bargain! One of the (unexpectedly) greatest things about CANs is how well the graphics transfer onto the label. The Goose has never looked sharper and the muted colors only add to the effect. Gold beak, white face with a black eye and a tan throat against a pine-green background. Beautiful.

From the CAN: "Est. Chicago 1998"; "English Style IPA"; "Our IPA opens with a fruity aroma set off by a dry malt middle and long hop finish."; "At a time when IPA's [sic] were barely known in America, we colonized the traditional English style to create our own full-flavored, distinctly Chicago-inspired IPA."

I Crack!ed the flat black tab on the CAN and got a buncha foam as a result. Once more, a beer went through a calming phase. F head with limited retention. Following its time-out, I got a finger of soapy, tawny head with limited retention. Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had an earthy maltiness, like walking into my paternal grandparents' root cellar. Hmm. That is what I normally expect from the EIPA style. Mouthfeel was kind of thin, not flat, given the head and its driving carbonation, but still rather thin on the whole. The taste was nice, very earthy in terms of both its malts and hops. It had a very fresh-picked quality which is hard to quantify, but imagine a tomato right off of the vine or some peppers. Fresh, earthy, but not terribly bitter. It is this last which bothers me as a hophead. I crave hops and when I see "India Pale Ale/IPA" on the label, I default to an AIPA. The finish was semi-dry and more earthy with a freshly-turned dirt flavor than I prefer. I know that it is stylistically correct, but that does not mean that I have to like it.

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Overall, just a solid IPA. I can't say anything too awful or good about it, as nothing stood out to me. Honestly, I think the whole IPA style has started to become overdone and I can't always distinguish between the decent ones. Would drink again though.

India Pale Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.