India Pale Ale - Goose Island Beer Co.

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

good

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Bourbon color, grapefruit aroma, fruity hop flavor, dry body.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,978 | Reviews: 1,155

Delicious Beer easily my favorite

Amazing beer easily one of my favorites

My first and favorite IPA, and one of my top 3 beers. I realize it's a little hyperbolic to realistically give a perfect 5, but I simply looove this one and it never lets me down.

A - rich amber color, thick sticky head that leaves all kinds of lacing down the glass or bottle as you drink

S - instant grassy hop nose, does not mute out the smell of the malt, but lets its presence be known. tiny hints of citrus of all sorts

T - fresh hop start followed by a very good bite, finishes with a bold malt taste with citrusy hop oil spice overlaying.

M - nicely medium bodied, clings to everything it touches and keeps the flavors sticking around for a while

D - I can drink this pretty much anytime I want a beer. have not had a food yet I don't enjoy it with (cheap, very spicy tacos seem to pair the best). undying love and loyalty to this, as well as Goose Island's Honker's Ale. top notch

one of the best IPA's ive ever had. not super hoppy but deff an ipa

4.87/5  rDev +30.2%

Bright unfiltered golden golor with a full ivory head that leaves sporadic lace. Strong hoppy citrusy, lemony, and grapefruity aroma and taste. Great balance but definitely hoppy without being really bitter. Medium bodied and smooth !

Great example of an American IPA !

Per the book Best American Beers: 65 IBU's.

Best By: 05/18/03
Tasted: 03/21/03

4.85/5  rDev +29.7%

A- Is a honey brown color, with a thick white foam, very attractive, and leaves a white lace around the glass with each sip, which we all know is a good sign.

S- Full of hops and citrus, very good fragrance.

T- Is beyond amazing, probably my favorite IPA, it has the bitter hops and citrus taste which I have grown to love over the years.

MF- The way it sets on the taste buds with a citrus blend that complements the huge hop flavor leaves a great after taste.

D- I could drink this beer all the time, it is my favorite IPA, and will probably be in till I find an IPA that surpasses the Goose Island IPA, so thanks to my Chi town fellows that brew such a better wonderful IPA!

4.84/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Give me this bird anytime!

4.8/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I love IPA's and this is one of the better ones that I've had.

4.8/5  rDev +28.3%

Drink beer where it's made whenever you can. This review is based on my last visit to the Clyborn pub. The men of the family were gathering due to a baby shower once again. The family is becoming fecund.

This beer is a study in balance. I've had occasion to sample a few hop bombs lately and this is no hop bomb. It is a beautifullly poured pint that smells of the glory of hops as I bring it up to my nose. The first sip enervates my entire pallate and asks me to drink again. It is so tasty that I stop to enjoy it. What a great reason to stop... I know many of us are seeking the maximum hop experience but this is a wonderful session beer. I look forward to returning to try it again. It is low enough in alcohol to be a session beer, but good enough to find a designated driver. Take care.

4.8/5  rDev +28.3%

Is this not the lightest, brightest domestic IPA I've gazed upon? It's done in the English style, and they nailed it. Sticky, off-white head, short and gluey on the glass. Deep-hazy sunrise yellow with a tinge of orange. So far, so good.

Firm malty base to the aroma with grassy, somewhat floral, fragrant hops - getting a good bit of the Styrian Goldings and Fuggles and of course Cascade (it does remind me of Sierra Nevada's general hop character).

Excellent hop spiciness jolts the taste buds immediately. This tastes like sucking on freakin' hop pellets! And I like it. I'm wondering if the basic one-malt grain bill has anything to do with such a naked hop flavor. I took the brewmaster's suggestion of pairing this with some strong blue cheese - a perfect match. Really brought out some of the sweetness of the malt in the finish. A lightly honey-kissed multi-grain cracker quality. Spectacular.

Believe it or not, I find fault only with the fact that this doesn't drink just a little more crisp. Still, I can't help but see myself drinking this year-round. Well done!

Goose Island, I think I'm falling in love with you.

(this ale was bottled Dec 2010, by the way)

4.8/5  rDev +28.3%

Sampled at the 2007 Mondiale de la Bière.

Pours a clear, golden yellow with a decent head.

Aroma is very resinous. There must be some Cascade in there. Pine cone and citrus notes abound.

A hint of caramel malt with lots of pine, grapefruit rind and some black tea.

Mouthfeel is silky with fairly low carbonation.

Excellent beer with great balance. Highly drinkable.

4.79/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This IPA is absolutely amazing. Goose island did it again with another great beer!

4.79/5  rDev +28.1%

Holy Hops, Batman!

Appearance: Got the 'pale' right. Pale gold color. Good head retention. Good B-lace.
Smell: Hops, hops, and more hops. Yeowzah! I'm not sure which varieties they use (probably some heavy, West-Coast types like Cascade and Centennial), but they sure get this hop lovers attention
Taste: Hops up front get the bitter parts rolling, but a nice, though more subtle, malt (almost peat-y) characteristic takes shape in the middle. Wonderfully dry finish. Whew!
Mouthfeel: Remarkably well-balanced for such a hoppy beer. Good attenuation, though I would've preferred perhaps a slightly more full-bodied beer. Not a knock, just a preference.
Drinkability: At $5.99 a sixer at certain locales, this may be the best IPA on the market around Chicago (where I live). This stuff is simply divinely-inspired. Kudos to the folks who've made real beer a way of life for the past 16 years.

4.78/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good beer one of better ipa

4.72/5  rDev +26.2%

Pours with a cloudy copper body, and a thin head. A *very* good aroma for an IPA, full of multiple hops with some citrus and floral notes, very pleasant. Strangely, not as bitter as one might expect---this *isn't* an excessively hopped IPA, it has a good balance of hops flavors, good bite, and only a mild aftertaste, with a nice dry, crisp mouthfeel. One of the best IPA's I've had, a pleasant change from "cram in all the hops we can"
style IPA's I usually find.

4.7/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am a home Brewer always looking for new beers to try and than try to replicate. I was walking through my local package store in Mankato, MN and found this Ale. I have a friend who is also a home brewer who suggested I try Goose Island products sometime. So I picked up a sixer of Pale Ale. Very impressed! Not really that bitter for a Indian Pale Ale, but I believe I like this better than most. You could definetly get yourself in trouble downing a six pack on a warm afternoon. Very nice, but not over powering citrus aroma, bitterness right to my liking, drank it out of a bottle, nice graphics by the way. I recommend very highly. Lastly, it taste alot like Brau Brothers Brewing Pale Ale, either one is a good choice

4.62/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best before date: 08/08/2013.

Appearance: Amber color with fizzy white head that hold relatively well. A bit of lacing. Medium low perceived effervescence.

Aroma: Medium to medium high in intensity. Amazing depth and elegance. You can pretty much pick up on anything from citrus (Grapefruit, Orange, Coriander) to all sorts of flowery notes (Mint, Roses, Pollen.) Pretty amazing stuff, especially considering this bottle probably isn't that fresh.

Taste: WOW, i love this! It's just straightforward delicious! The profile is less citrusy leaning and more flowery, nutty and toffee-ish.

Palate: The palate is spot on for my taste. Medium to medium full bodied. Medium low carbonation. Alcohol warmth is subdued but in balance. Medium to medium high bitterness. Finishes sweetish with lingering citrusy, earthy, minty aftertaste.

Overall: Wow, i can't believe this is scored so low! (Relatively speaking) It has the most amazing balance, is enjoyable, has a lot of depth, finesse and flavor. Probably just lacking a bit in the flavor depth department but it's still world class. On a side note, after checking the hops used, i have got to say, they really achieved something special. For those of us who brew, to get 4 different hops in and make the hop character taste seamless, rich and deep is just nothing short of masterful.

4.62/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After a glowing review on tap, I found this in a bottle and decided to see if it still lived up to its first rate billing from my only other sampling of this beer.

Poured into a Stella glass, where it gave ~1 cm of a thick rich head which left lacing down the sides of the glass as I slowly consume it. The beer was a cloudy light orange, almost a mixture between a sunset and a mature wheat field. The initial aroma of the beer was exceedingly floral. I could have sworn I smelled some roses on the nose. As I continued to drink the beer, it matured into a much more hop based bitter aroma, which matched my palate at that point.

After having read a few reviews of this beer out of the bottle I was concerned it would disappoint, but man did it deliver. A pungent punch of hoppy bitterness struck me and lingered on the palate with a slight maltiness which matched nicely. I often struggle to find other aromas on my palate and I can't identify anything else, but all I know is that this is what I want my beer to taste like. A sensational IPA, and out of the bottle it is as nice as on tap IMO, as its carbonation was substantially lower than my previous sampling.

4.61/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Amber to very light brown in color with a 1/2" head. There is also a little chill haze.

The smell is overwhelming hops with mostly citrus notes. Has a little roasted malt flavor with a nutty and hoppy, but not terribly bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. I kept licking the top of my mouth after each sip. Overall, a relatively mild IPA. Could certainly be an intro to the style for those unfamiliar. This would also be a great session brew.

4.6/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I took bottle and poured into 12oz shaped glass,

A - looks like mid age penny (mildly sharp copper)

S - smells like a nice citrus then slight bitter smell

T - citrus hop taste, nice bitterness, and midly carbonated

M - mouthfeel of creaminess and carbonation then slightly bitter

D - my new favorite IPA, Its one of the best, I mean the Alstöm gave it a solid B+, like most craft beers 6 pack is blenty

4.59/5  rDev +22.7%

A: Nice straw amber color. Clear with bubbles rising. Easily delivers a creamy yellowy off-white head. Great stalagtite lacing and great head retention.

S: Big bold floral nose with a hint of citrus. Lively and invigorating. It's also a bit grassy and resiny. Just a really intense hop nasal experience.

T: Smooth and simple beer. Refreshing with a zest and grapefruit. Some caramel balance. Finish is a nice bitter bite which goes with you into a dry hoppy aftertaste.

M: It's a clean but creamy mouth. On the light side of medium body with a high side of medium carbonation which is pretty active in the mouth and adds to the refreshing nature of the drink. It is surprisingly creamy for a beer that feels thirst quenching.

D: Substantial, refreshing and poundable. Got to love that in an IPA. I originally had this as an A- but upgraded my review because I have been spending some quality time with it. A really delicious brew.

4.59/5  rDev +22.7%

Goose Island IPA. Finally reviewing this guy.

A- pours a golden transparent with good head and retention.

S- I just have to give this a 5. This is one of the best nose's on a regular IPA there is. Just amazing. Citrus hops with orange peel/grapefruit mix. Fresh pine. Not overpowering, just perfect. I could smell this beer all night.

T- Follows the nose well. Great hops that make their point up front. So tasty.

M- Nice sharp carbonation

D- I bought this actually thinking about SN Celebration Ale. I don't think GI IPA gets enough credit. After BCS and Matilda, this is Goose Island's best. And its so classic and versatile. I remember drinking this at a music fest downtown Chicago in July and the hops tasting just as good in 90 degrees as they do tonight in Chicago with snow and 9 degrees. Probably my favortie IPA.

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very nice IPA, great flavour and aroma. I felt it more like an American IPA than an English IPA as the label states.

4.57/5  rDev +22.2%

Wow! Smells like a new-mown lawn! This ale is the finest draught I have ever had. Yes, really!

The sad thing is that I can't get it in Boston, except for once in a great while when the Goose Island Pub Packs appear...and the last time they did the Honkers was a month past "Best By" so it ended up being a 10-pack.

This IPA is hoppy, oh, yes. It looked beautiful on the bar at Wrigleyville, backlit as it was, but it was the aroma that blew me away. Really earthy and fresh; the taste was the same, tangy and dry, but complex.

If you can get this stuff, do so. If you can't, look for Hop Devil, which is as good, or better in my opinion, since I can actually obtain it!

4.57/5  rDev +22.2%

A- slightly hazy dirty copper/amber with a tight rich off white head w an orange tint to it, good retention and fine patterns of spitbubble lace. just the way this one moves in the glass looks oily and resinous and i can almost taste the hops just by looking at it.

S- fresh fruity floral burst of hops right in the face! that's what i like to smell. grapefruit and mild pine dominate with other tropical flavors as well. pineapple, mango, guava. some pale and toasted malt aromas come through too, making for a nicely balanced and very tempting bouquet overall.

T- as far as my ipa's go, and mostly for my hop preference in general, i prefer tropical fruit-flowers. and this beeatch delivers. just closing my eyes and trying to taste more is like lickable wallpaper come to life. actually, i think i taste schnozberries. ok maybe not, but i'll tell u what: grapefruit, pine, papaya, mango, guava, passionfruit, apple, pineapple, white wildflowers, hawaiian reefer, and sweet moroccan hash. unbelievably fruity and complex hops lay a solid path for little malt junior to ride down on his way home from the humulus parade.

MF- firm bodied, with a slight chalky feeling, yet slick and crisp. meduim carbonation level makes sure the fizzies don't get in the way of the almighty hop.

D- so full of fruity flavors it's hard to put her down. bitterness is a bitch though, and for a session i'd have to move on...

India Pale Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.