India Pale Ale - Goose Island Beer Co.

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Bourbon color, grapefruit aroma, fruity hop flavor, dry body.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of India Pale Ale Alström Bros
rwilde

Nofear048

12-19-2011 05:04:07 | More by Nofear048
obrendano

Maryland

My first and favorite IPA, and one of my top 3 beers. I realize it's a little hyperbolic to realistically give a perfect 5, but I simply looove this one and it never lets me down.

A - rich amber color, thick sticky head that leaves all kinds of lacing down the glass or bottle as you drink

S - instant grassy hop nose, does not mute out the smell of the malt, but lets its presence be known. tiny hints of citrus of all sorts

T - fresh hop start followed by a very good bite, finishes with a bold malt taste with citrusy hop oil spice overlaying.

M - nicely medium bodied, clings to everything it touches and keeps the flavors sticking around for a while

D - I can drink this pretty much anytime I want a beer. have not had a food yet I don't enjoy it with (cheap, very spicy tacos seem to pair the best). undying love and loyalty to this, as well as Goose Island's Honker's Ale. top notch

08-31-2010 11:49:53 | More by obrendano
ejane

Connecticut

12-18-2013 16:04:55 | More by ejane
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

03-06-2012 21:41:22 | More by

Missouri

11-25-2011 01:47:25 | More by columbiankramer
Kaiser777

4.88/5  rDev +30.1%

A- Is a honey brown color, with a thick white foam, very attractive, and leaves a white lace around the glass with each sip, which we all know is a good sign.

S- Full of hops and citrus, very good fragrance.

T- Is beyond amazing, probably my favorite IPA, it has the bitter hops and citrus taste which I have grown to love over the years.

MF- The way it sets on the taste buds with a citrus blend that complements the huge hop flavor leaves a great after taste.

D- I could drink this beer all the time, it is my favorite IPA, and will probably be in till I find an IPA that surpasses the Goose Island IPA, so thanks to my Chi town fellows that brew such a better wonderful IPA!

05-22-2010 07:14:00 | More by Kaiser777
RBorsato

4.88/5  rDev +30.1%

Bright unfiltered golden golor with a full ivory head that leaves sporadic lace. Strong hoppy citrusy, lemony, and grapefruity aroma and taste. Great balance but definitely hoppy without being really bitter. Medium bodied and smooth !

Great example of an American IPA !

Per the book Best American Beers: 65 IBU's.

Best By: 05/18/03
Tasted: 03/21/03

04-18-2003 12:47:37 | More by RBorsato
faernt

4.83/5  rDev +28.8%

Drink beer where it's made whenever you can. This review is based on my last visit to the Clyborn pub. The men of the family were gathering due to a baby shower once again. The family is becoming fecund.

This beer is a study in balance. I've had occasion to sample a few hop bombs lately and this is no hop bomb. It is a beautifullly poured pint that smells of the glory of hops as I bring it up to my nose. The first sip enervates my entire pallate and asks me to drink again. It is so tasty that I stop to enjoy it. What a great reason to stop... I know many of us are seeking the maximum hop experience but this is a wonderful session beer. I look forward to returning to try it again. It is low enough in alcohol to be a session beer, but good enough to find a designated driver. Take care.

01-04-2004 19:40:19 | More by faernt
Bouleboubier

4.83/5  rDev +28.8%

Is this not the lightest, brightest domestic IPA I've gazed upon? It's done in the English style, and they nailed it. Sticky, off-white head, short and gluey on the glass. Deep-hazy sunrise yellow with a tinge of orange. So far, so good.

Firm malty base to the aroma with grassy, somewhat floral, fragrant hops - getting a good bit of the Styrian Goldings and Fuggles and of course Cascade (it does remind me of Sierra Nevada's general hop character).

Excellent hop spiciness jolts the taste buds immediately. This tastes like sucking on freakin' hop pellets! And I like it. I'm wondering if the basic one-malt grain bill has anything to do with such a naked hop flavor. I took the brewmaster's suggestion of pairing this with some strong blue cheese - a perfect match. Really brought out some of the sweetness of the malt in the finish. A lightly honey-kissed multi-grain cracker quality. Spectacular.

Believe it or not, I find fault only with the fact that this doesn't drink just a little more crisp. Still, I can't help but see myself drinking this year-round. Well done!

Goose Island, I think I'm falling in love with you.

(this ale was bottled Dec 2010, by the way)

02-26-2011 20:34:36 | More by Bouleboubier
Tim2000

Quebec (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +28.8%

Sampled at the 2007 Mondiale de la Bière.

Pours a clear, golden yellow with a decent head.

Aroma is very resinous. There must be some Cascade in there. Pine cone and citrus notes abound.

A hint of caramel malt with lots of pine, grapefruit rind and some black tea.

Mouthfeel is silky with fairly low carbonation.

Excellent beer with great balance. Highly drinkable.

06-01-2007 17:38:57 | More by Tim2000
RedBaron

4.8/5  rDev +28%

Holy Hops, Batman!

Appearance: Got the 'pale' right. Pale gold color. Good head retention. Good B-lace.
Smell: Hops, hops, and more hops. Yeowzah! I'm not sure which varieties they use (probably some heavy, West-Coast types like Cascade and Centennial), but they sure get this hop lovers attention
Taste: Hops up front get the bitter parts rolling, but a nice, though more subtle, malt (almost peat-y) characteristic takes shape in the middle. Wonderfully dry finish. Whew!
Mouthfeel: Remarkably well-balanced for such a hoppy beer. Good attenuation, though I would've preferred perhaps a slightly more full-bodied beer. Not a knock, just a preference.
Drinkability: At $5.99 a sixer at certain locales, this may be the best IPA on the market around Chicago (where I live). This stuff is simply divinely-inspired. Kudos to the folks who've made real beer a way of life for the past 16 years.

11-03-2004 03:20:03 | More by RedBaron
India Pale Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.