India Pale Ale - Goose Island Beer Co.

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

good

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Bourbon color, grapefruit aroma, fruity hop flavor, dry body.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,978 | Reviews: 1,155
1.29/5  rDev -65.5%

Use to be an exemplary IPA, very bland on this tasting.

1.39/5  rDev -62.8%

this beer has too much bitterness for me

1.71/5  rDev -54.3%

One of the worst IPAs I've tasted, unfortunately.

1.81/5  rDev -51.6%

Maybe I'm just not fancy enough.

I bought two 12-packs at a local gas station because they were on sale for $5. Worst $5 I ever spent.

My wife and I LOVE our beer. My wife is British and often says American beer seems watered down to her. She said that Goose Island India Ale taste like skunk butt, and I have to agree.

How anyone is supposed to sit back and relax with a drink that sends you into involuntary convulsions is beyond me.

The worst part is have another 20 to drink.

This drink is best enjoyed when you're already three sheets in the wind on something else and just don't care anymore. It's also great for guest you don't like.

2.19/5  rDev -41.4%

Too bland and uninspiring...tasted like a hoppy Yuengling

2.31/5  rDev -38.2%

A - Golden orange with a soapy decent sized head that leftsome surprisingly nice broad lace.

S - Hmm, lot of hops and pine notes in here, was hoping for some more complexity here as the bartender said this is a very good ipa. All I'm getting is mostly pine, little citrus.

T - Tastes like I'm chewing on a pine tree. This is quite horrible. All I can taste is pine, pine, and well, more pine.

M - Nice carbonation and crisp.

D - I can't drink it because it tastes like I got lost in the forest and had to chew on pine needles to survive. Maybe I just had a bad bottle, but this seemed almost like making an IPA to make one and not really knowing exactly what goes into it.

2.34/5  rDev -37.4%

Not my favorite IPA, smelled more like a sour than an IPA. Flavor was not there at all.

2.4/5  rDev -35.8%

Looks nice, your standard IPA appearance. Smells hoppy and spicy. Taste is hoppy yet watery and there is (I swear) an old greasy sweat sock taste lingering in the back. There seems to be some substance/texture missing from this too, on further reflection, it's really watery. This is the worst tasting IPA I've had.

2.46/5  rDev -34.2%

April 2010 bottle, drank 2/22/11.

A - Opaque apple cider. Low head. Little lace.

S - Mellow alcohol, light honey. Some orangey citrus.

T - Might have caught this bottle past its prime. Light breadyness. Some orange and orange pith. Somewhat unfinished - almost an unrefined homebrewed character. Some light booze on the backend. Slightly yeasty.

M - Light, somewhat watery body. Low carbonation.

D - Just ok flavor and body.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

Color- medium gold. Full head.

Aroma- like a slightly hoppy lager.

Taste- a thoroughly mediocre IPA. This would be a good gateway brew for someone that fears real IPAs. Overall it's slightly hoppy with mild bitterness.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One two three four five

2.55/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer pours a nice medium amber and leaves a 3/4" white head.
Floral hops and a mediocre mouthfeel give this beer a drinkable quality, however if you are used to the finer IPA's you will be disappointed.
This would be a very good transitional beer for those who were raised on the "Big 3" and are branching out into a better class of beer.
It is a "nice" beer and is certainly above the "norm" in this country, but I believe it was brewed more to be inoffensive to the majority than a really great I.P.A.
Overall it is a good, but certainly not great beer.

2.55/5  rDev -31.8%

American IPA, really? A bitter, watery, unbalanced IPA. No malt backbone whatsoever, just watery bitterness. Some hop aroma, but it is really mild, no spicieness or citrus to welcome my nose. The wateryness makes it very drinkable but really leaves you unsatisfied. More like a super wimpy English PA than a hoppy American IPA. As an American I am insulted with this watery brew.

I think this one was designed by the brewery accountants which Mosher talks about in Radical Brewing. Seems like they skimped us good on the malt and especially the hops. It's not bad, just a big let down for an IPA.

2.62/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ba Review #187
Served On: 07/13/2012
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV: -
Date/ Code: 5/15/12

This was from a 6-pack from Evergreen Liquors in Frederick, MD.

Look: Poured a clear straw yellow color. Head was a thin layer of random sized white bubbles. Carbonation bubbles were barely happening. Lacing was barely detectable.

Smell: Sweet honey with a floral hop bouquet.

Taste: First off was a floral hop note with some honey sweetness. The middle was a hop bitterness that was not as intense as anticipated. The finish had some faint bitterness an herbal sweetness that lasted into the finish. Super drinkable; more like a typical pale ale than an IPA.

This was a mediocre IPA. Unfortunately I wasn’t lucky enough to have tried this beer before AB – Inbev got their hooks into Goose Island. I’m guessing it was probably way better and more robust back then, judging by other reviews prior to the acquisition.

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

Bottle into a pint. Bottled on 12/20/11.

a Tan-yellow without much depth. Constant stream of carbonation keeps the bone-white head about half a millimeter thick throughout tasting. Lacing clings to the sides with a thick beard of bubbles.

s Spicy floral notes fight to overpower a slightly dank hops partner. The color could be fooling me into smelling it, but I get a hint of rice in the grain bill. Some toasted malt is there.

t Bitter hops at the beginning with a tinge of citrus that grows stronger and overpowers the rest of the taste and the aftertaste. The first taste characteristics share the dank smell and hit the front of the bitter hops. Too strong in the citrus.

m Smooth and full body. Rests easily on the tongue before the finish of the taste.

o I would choose other IPAs over this one. Nothing stood out but the citrus, which was too sour.

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%

ALERT-this is my first attempt at a beer review so take it for what it is.

Poured into a Pilsner type glass the color was a copper amber with a two finger almost creamy looking head that lasted a good while. The lacing was medium.

The nose was sweet and floral with strong hints of citrus and spice. If my eyes had been closed when smelling the beer I would have suspected there was an orange slice floating on top.

Carbonation was low.

The taste was sweet and fruity (again that orange slice floating on top that wasn't really there) with a distinct bitter metallic bite at the end. I personally do not like
the finish.

I would not turn one down if a host offered me one but it is not a beer I would buy for myself and keep in the fridge. But what the hell do I know?

2.73/5  rDev -27%

12oz bottle

A: Clear golden color with about 1 inch of white froth which leaves behind substantial lacing.

S: Beer has light hoppy quality. Smell crisp and fresh.

T: Light bitterness in the front. Flat in the middle and a strong bitter finish.

M: Smooth texture. It's light, but not watery. The carbonation is about mid level.

D: I'm not impressed. Overall the taste is a little disappointing. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that prior to opening this beer I enjoyed an excellent Sierra Nevada pint, which was much more hoppy and overall a much better beer.

OVERALL GRADE: C-/C

2.77/5  rDev -25.9%

Nothing to write home about. This ale poured cloudy -too much chill haze for my tastes. Decent head and lacing. Very neutral aroma for an IPA. The body and mouthfeel were average -pretty firm malt base. However, the taste was dominated by Cascade hops. The malt sweetness and citrus taste of the Cascades gave this ale a definite American IPA feel. I've grown rather tired of Cascades. In this case I think it was overdone.

2.77/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Way too much hops for me.

2.8/5  rDev -25.1%

sorry, I tried to like this beer but I just cant get around the soapy taste of it. Everything about this beer screams awesomeness.-the color is superb, it smells of grain and grass and good piney hops. but then something happens. . . the beer goes sweet but not in a good way. and then boom! you are hit with floral,soapy, perfumey nastiness. I believe this is the same yeast that they use in the goose island honkers ale (E.s.b.) which is very fruity also. fruity esters are out. ymmv. :)

2.82/5  rDev -24.6%

It's probably a good beer. I'm just not a fan of IPAs.

2.84/5  rDev -24.1%

Good Stuff. Strong taste. Yum

2.86/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours murky light orange color with some yellow added into it color with an off-white two finger head that fades quickly. Some bubbles remain on top scattered around with some lacing.

I get your typical IPA smell. Very floral notes and piney citrusy type smell. Grapefruit, honey, ripe green apples.

An upfront semi-bitter taste that mellows out into a very light citrus flavor. Not too much comes out of the flavor for me. Kinda water down IPA that lacks flavor.

Light bodied with good carbonation. Crisp semi-sweet aftertaste is left. Once again not much taste coming through for me.

Theres way better IPA's out there that are in the same price range and A LOT more better in flavor. I would skip on this one if you come across it.

2.88/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Have been drinking this one for awhile. Not a bad beer, but have had so many IPA's now that surpass the maltiness and hoppiness. It is a decent beer, but if you like IPA's it is just sevicable. Decent balance of flavors, but not enough of the hops for me. Have only tried a few Goose Island entries so I am far from an expert on their overall offerings, but this one is just OK in my book.

2.88/5  rDev -23%

To the eye this beer looks pretty good. It pours a crystal clear amber color and is alive with carbonation. The head on this beer is small and soon becomes a white film over the beer. There is lacing however and that helps to make the beer appear more appetizing. When agitated the creamy white film over the top of the beer becomes creamier and a bit thicker but then quickly returns to its previous state. A bit more of a head on this beer would give it a much better appearance, although it seems to me that most beers could use more of a head, personal preference I guess.

To the nose this beer has a strong hop influence. Citrus and floral aromas dominate the smell. No malt characteristic that I can detect with the nose. Has a pretty standard IPA smell, basically it smells much the same as other IPAs that I've had. However, this one lacks the potentcy of the aroma found in the others. I find that the herbal, floral, and citrus aromas in the others I've had are much stronger and easier to detect.

Tastes alright to me. I get the hop influenced herbal/floral taste foremost. There is also a sweet malty taste which hits the very tip of my tongue. I would, infact, prefer if this brew were a bit hoppier. When I think of an IPA I think of something that is super hopped, this dosn't have the super hop taste that drives me to buy IPAs. The hop taste is there but it is not as strong as I would like. It is hopped, not hoppy. I also noticed a watery taste right as the beer is leaving the mouth and going into/down the throat.

This beer is light-medium bodied on the palate and resembles water in a way. The amount of carbonation is appropriate for the style, and it is easy to drink. It leaves the mouth feeling dry as well. Overall this is an ok beer, but I wouldn't buy it again. There are so many better IPAs on the market, why would I buy one that is not nearly as good as the others? I would only buy this again if I was craving an IPA and this was the only one within miles. I expected more from this beer. When I sat down to try this I was looking forward to a great IPA, but instead I only got a mediocre one.

India Pale Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.