India Pale Ale - Goose Island Beer Co.

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

good

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Bourbon color, grapefruit aroma, fruity hop flavor, dry body.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.42/5  rDev +18.2%

Bottled 4-1-10
Welcome Goose Island to Massachusetts. Heard alot of good things hope it doesn't disappoint. This filtered brew pours a clear golden yellow color. Thin white head lingers around with a steady stream of carbination.
Pleasant light citrus floral hop aromas. Some spicyness can be detected. Sweet malts peak out behind mostly hop nose.
Citrus/ piney hop flavors titalate the taste buds. Freshness really pops the hop profile. A quick shot of sweet malt is overrun by spicyness from hops. Everthing one would expect from a quality crafted IPA.
Mouthfeel is refreshing with a somewhat light feeling to it. Great on those hot summer days.
The Goose did not disapoint! Great fresh offering. Nothing too flashy, but doesn't advertise as such. Great offering to have on hand.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a clear, golden color. One inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of hop oils, floral hops, slight sweet malt, and slight citrus. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is slightly smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of floral hop, hop oils, sweet malt, slight citrus, and a hint of roasted malt. Overall, the hops almost mask other intrinsic IPA flavors.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Goose Island India Pale Ale
May 5 2010

A- Golden honey, clear, strong head, keeps a nice lace
S- Strong hops and citrus
T- Malty and hops with a slight bitterness and dry finish
M- Medium body and light finish
D- Smooth and well-balanced, high drinkability

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

I was stuck in Chicago's O'Hare Airport for a few hours and my phone showed that there is a Goose Island Pub in the airport. I finally tracked it down, and to my disappointment, it was more of a hot dog stand which sold bottles of Goose Island beer. I was already bitter at the American Airlines gate agent that wouldn't let me on the earlier flight despite there being plenty of seats... So, I wanted something that would match my travel bitterness and went for the IPA. My bitterness surpassed even the strongest double IPA when I had to pay $7.50 for the 12 oz. bottle, but I'll try not to let that cloud my review.

Since I didn't have a glass or cup to pour it in, I can't comment on the color. I can say that the head looked fairly think and creamy in the bottle after I took a few drinks. The aroma coming out of the bottle was a sort of piney, floral, citrusy hop smell.

When I took a drink the body was light to medium, and the flavor was a bit more malty than I expected. However, it still had that piney/citrusy hop flavor. I noticed the finish had a bit of a biscuity taste to it as well.

It was a pretty good IPA that had a little more taste and character to it than traditional hop bomb IPAs. It would probably go well with a burger or on a hot summer afternoon on the porch. I'm not sure if this is one that will stick in my memory to go seek it out, but if I'm in a bar and it's between this and traditional bar alternatives, I'd go for this one.

3.52/5  rDev -5.9%

In a word, this IPA is just too fruity for my tastes and the fruitiness gets in the way of the slightly grapefruity tart hops. The beer looks good with a hazy cast, and orangey amber color, and a decent amount of carbonation. There is much head on the beer, some lacing, and the retention just becomes a film on the top of the glass soon after the pour. The nose is reasonably enticing. It has a nice grapefruit hop, some pine notes, some leafy hop too. I was expecting more of an estery hop experience, but alas no.

The taste is a bit off. The hops don't hit the mark where they should and the odd fruity flavors do not complement the hop flavors. There is some leafy bittering hop towards the finish but it just doesn't sit well with that fruity mid section. There is a drying, almost saltene, flavor towards the finish that has some similarities to the Honker's Ale from Goose Island that I just had. This isn't a bad IPA but I was expecting better. The saltene end notes work better in the Honker's Ale than they do in this beer. The mouthfeel is about right, neither smooth and creamy nor prickly and husky. It splits the difference nicely. The beer is plenty carbonated.

3.07/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.
AP - Light orange/honey color. Light head w/lacey residue.
AR - A smokey orange like malt aroma.
FL - Light and citrus with a leaning to grapefruit flavor.
MF - Light brew with a light grapefruit aftertaste.
D - This would be good on a warm afternoon after going to a Cubs game.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours the prototypical IPA honey orange color with good head retention and lacing. Don't get a lot on the nose, just some light citrus with overtones of sweet malt. The beer tastes a bit better on the palate, though if ever there was a "cookie cutter" IPA, this is it. The beer is a bit on the sweet side initially, though it also has some decent bitterness to balance that sweetness. The beer finishes with some nice hoppy bitterness, which helps to counter the sweet malt and slight "graininess." Mouthfeel is medium bodied to light, with fairly clean, moderately bitter finish. Drinkability is good, with the alcohol barely noticeable.

An enjoyable, serviceable, sessionable IPA.... it's nothing special, but is enjoyable enough, and the low 5.9% abv. is something to appreciate.

3.87/5  rDev +3.5%

Reviewed from notes. I had this one at CitiField at a Mets - Cubs game.

Served in a clear plastic cup. Pours golden with a white head that sticks around.

Aroma is really great, strongly floral and citriusy. I would guess cascade hops. Flavor isn't very bitter, but full of hop flavor and some pine.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, this beer's only downfall. This is my favorite kind of IPA, tons of hop flavor and aroma without overwhelming bitterness. I could enjoy a few of these.

4.01/5  rDev +7.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Dark golden beer, crystal clear. Pale white head was half-inch and strong, dissipated slowly down to a sparse layer. Exhibited some pleasant lacing.

S-Resinous-piney hops, bright, but also quite thick. This aroma just keeps going.

T-Piney hoppiness, somewhat citrusy, storms the doors with the assistance of a pleasant, appropriate bitterness. This hoppiness is soon followed by some estery qualities and a nutty, toasty maltiness. An assertive breadiness comes through later, leading to a relatively dry finish.

M-This body feels right. Medium feel, carbonation is spot-on medium, finishes light.

D-Easy to enjoy, smooth & enjoyable. This one really hit the spot the day that I purchased it. Delicious.

2.93/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a two finger cream head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Cloudy amber color. Nose is light grapefruit hops. Flavor is grapefruit hops with a lingering bitter aftertaste. Malts stay hidden. $1.95 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

2.97/5  rDev -20.6%

I wasn't too excited to try this beer after reading some of the reviews, but when I went to the liquor store there was a little star-rating tag in front of the beer and I couldn't resist. I was suprised at how similar it tasted to Dogfish 60 Minute! It poured ok.. a decent body with a small half-inch head. Was a lot more clear than I would expect for this style, and the taste reflected that. It was a little on the watery side. I'd have this beer again, but it wasn't my favorite for this style - not even close.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Initial pour produces a large fizzy white head. This settles a bit to a large bubbled wispy head. Quickly collapse upon itself. Orange amber color with the slightest haze. Sparse visible carbonation makes it way up. Clumpy lacing left around the glass.

Nice aroma. A mix of fresh light citrus with some biscuity malt. A bit of fruit as it warms.

Decent IPA. I notice a little bit of a chalky, yeasty flavor. Fairly nicely balanced. A touch of alcohol in the flavor. More pronounced malt flavor than the aroma led me to believe. A slight sweetness in the background and a moment of fruity esters.. Almost finished a bit dry with the hop bitterness and the chalky finish. Aftertaste is like chewing on grapefruit skin.

Medium bodied. Very little carbonation.

This is a decent IPA, but not one I would chase again. Not sure I enjoy the dry nature of it.

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

A: A slightly hazy, dark amber, almost copper color under a one inch head that quickly dissipates but leaves an impressive web of lacing down to the last drop.

S: An overwhelming bundle of floral hops that I detected maybe a hint of citrus in, if anything.

M: A moderately malty body with a good balance of hops and carbonation that falls more in line with a traditional English style IPA than most American IPAs I've tried.

T: A simple and good balance of sweet and bitter with a robust yet smooth body.

D: This was smooth sailing for the IPA lover in me and the non-IPA drinker in my Gal...

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

The ale from my Goose Island mix pack poured a golden yellow with a big creamy white head that filled up and left nice lacing in my pint glass.

Not a lot of smell. Mainly of pine.

Of course the taste was totally dominated by grapefruit and piney hop flavor. One has to try very hard to find some malt in the background. the ale then left a strong piney aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was not too thick or thin. This had plenty of carbonation. An ok ale if you just want to drink one or two brews with a lot of flavor. I don't think I would want any more than two at the most. Of the 4 varieties in the Goose Island mix pack this ale was alright but would be my least favorite.

4.15/5  rDev +11%

On-tap. Pours a hazy deeper gold. Decent off-white head with not a whole lot of retention. Really couldn't spot a whole lot of visual difference from my friend's Coors Light, except for a bigger head. Smell is fresh, high-tipped sweetgrass. Very clean, love the fresh hop scent. Taste is maltier, with a light, raw sugar-like base that is very nice. Hops almost act as support, although you get a big, spiced, even mouthfeel all around. Big citrus flavor. Very good.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Lighter peach/light orange color. Slightly hazy. Lots of fluffy cream color head. Nice "sip level" lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Citrus, grapefruit hops. A touch of malt sweetness too. The nose seems slightly muted.

T: Floral and citrus hop twang up front with a nice lightly sweet malt background. I do pick up an odd soapy flavor near the finish that isn't too pleasant. Slightly spicy almost?

M/D: Very frothy, thicker body, especially for an IPA. Nice delicate carbonation. I'm only good for a few of these, can't get over the odd, faint soapy flavor.

2.96/5  rDev -20.9%

A- Poured into a pint glass with about a one finger head. The color was a bit darker than normal for an IPA, a type of deep amber.

S- Smell didn't really do anything for me, hints of hops was about it- otherwise, quite bland

T- Taste is where this beer really surprised me. It started out with a decent hop bitterness and flavor, then subdued with a spicyness that I wasn't privy to. It took me off guard and really wasn't too appetizing for the warm spring night we were celebrating. By the end of the beer, the hop bitterness really went away and it drank like a spiced american pale ale

M- A tiny bit thicker for an IPA, but was interesting and not too disliked, because it was something different... though I was really hoping for something more refreshing

D- I tried to ration the beer while finishing my blue cheese burger and ended up with a good bit left at the end, realizing that I wasn't in any hurry to finish it or savor it for that matter. It was a good food pairing, but I feel that it didn't provide much refreshment to myself. I wouldn't be able to drink more than one or two at the absolute max of this.

Overall, I was disappointed. My father had ordered a 312 at my suggestion that night, which put me in the mood for a Goose Island for my second beer, but as mentioned in taste, it was just too spicy. It was more than just a hoppy floral flavor. I think I may try this beer again in the fall or winter when in the mood for an IPA, as I feel it may please my senses more in that time of year. I just can't really say that I reccomend this to anyone or am looking forward to having it every again...

4.15/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, clear, gold in color, moderate carbonation

Smell: pine hops

Taste: some citrus hops, big pine hops, and caramel

Mouthfeel: light bodied, medium carbonation, slightly bitter with sweet elements

Drinkability: Very good. Simple yet nice and piney. I sort of see this as a comperable and cheaper version of some of the west coast pine ipas that I like. The hops are not overpowering. A good brew.

3.46/5  rDev -7.5%

On tap @ the Winking Lizard. Pours copper with a white head.

Smells of citrus hops and a light caramel malt.

Taste is nice, decent enough. Malt has a crystal sweetness to it and some balance between the fruity aroma hops and the real bittering agents. But there's no real wow factor here.

Mouthfeel is good. Nice body, clean carb.

Overall, this is a nice session beer but nowhere close to being a world-class IPA.

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

12oz bottle, Duvel snifter

What a great example of a well rounded, quality IPA. There is never a bad time to drink beers like this; after a long day, with a nice meal, hell even if you are thirsty.

Pours a bright amber, nice and cloudy. Medium white head, dissipating into a wispy cap.

Smells nice - apricot and grapefruit, grassy, bitter hops.

The taste follows the nose, but finishing maltier than the aromas would allude to. Fruity, surprising level of bitterness. Well balanced, easy drinking, no booze.

Mouthfeel is smooth, medium carbonation.

I could easily have a few of these, in fact I wish I had more. Every aspect of this IPA can be identified yet no characteristic overwhelms. Love it!

4.3/5  rDev +15%

Review from notes in October 09. On tap at MacGregor's.

A - Clear golden honey with a short lived white head. Excellent lacing. 4.0

S - Light lemon zest and grapefruit juice. Herbal bitters and a touch of robustness. 4.0

T - Strong sweet malty backbone with a very complementary hop presence. Wonderful balance between bittering and citrus flavor. Lingering bitter aftertaste. 4.5

M - Medium bodied and well carbonated to smoothness. 4.0

D - Excellent. Can easily do a few of these. 4.5

4.27/5  rDev +14.2%

Found this in a variety pack at Kroger. I have mixed feelings about Goose Island beers, so I approached this one with cautious optimism.

A=A charming amber color, though a little cloudy. Head dissipates almost immediately to an equally charming layer of lace-thin foam.

S=Raises my expectations skyward. Pine, peach, citrus, even capers. Notes of...pretty much anything good.

T=Just fine. Not the strong hoppy flavor one probably expects (or wants) from an IPA: instead, a mildly fruity, sedate counterpart to stronger IPA's out there.

M=Smooth. Delicate carbonation, super-clean finish. I just finished it, and you will find no trace of this beer on my tongue.

D=A "gateway" pale ale, in which aficionados will find nothing to reproach, but little to muster their enthusiasm. A wonderful beer, but not a wonderful IPA, for better or worse.

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my new favorites from Goose Island. Bottled on 2-2-10. Having hot dogs with macaroni and cheese with fresh grated parmesan cheese for dinner and this beer pairs perfectly. A - great looking beer with 3 inch head in my Duvel tulip. S - not very hoppy, more earthy which fits the english ipa style. T - very refreshing after an afternoon of running errands. M - frothy goodness. D - could easily session these.

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%

Pale golden color. Just slightly cloudy with a medium white head.

Aroma is hoppy and fruity. Noticeable sweet peach-like fruitiness with a bit a malt in the back.

Flavor is dominated by a floral hop character. Very floral, like fresh-cut flowers. Bit of malty sweetness is there to offset the hops a little. Hop character is more flavorful than bitter, though the bitterness is there throughout.

Average body & feel for the style. Good carbonation levels.

Pleasantly drinkable, flavorful, and not harsh. I would definitely buy it again.

4.38/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

About to go on a long trip, figured I would relax and review my first beer on here before I go. Just bought this last week, have enjoyed the few bottles I have had immensely.

Appearance - Slightly cloudy, but still a great amber color that makes this overcast day feel a little sunnier.

Smell - Apples, pine, and orange zest all come and creep up your nose. The hops are definitely present (this is an EIPA, after all), and let their piney goodness be well known.

Taste - Bitter, fruity goodness. It's the tartness of a good apple combined with the spicy tastiness of hops. A dream. Alcohol lingers on the tongue afterwards.

Mouthfeel - Has a creamier mouthfeel than expected; definitely a bit on the heavier side. Carbonation adds a nice, reserved tang.

Drinkability - A wonderful drink. I'm looking forward to the rest of the pack when I get back to the States. WDA (would drink again).

India Pale Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.