India Pale Ale - Goose Island Beer Co.

India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.
good

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Bourbon color, grapefruit aroma, fruity hop flavor, dry body.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,842 | Reviews: 1,128
3.87/5  rDev +3.5%

Reviewed from notes. I had this one at CitiField at a Mets - Cubs game.

Served in a clear plastic cup. Pours golden with a white head that sticks around.

Aroma is really great, strongly floral and citriusy. I would guess cascade hops. Flavor isn't very bitter, but full of hop flavor and some pine.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, this beer's only downfall. This is my favorite kind of IPA, tons of hop flavor and aroma without overwhelming bitterness. I could enjoy a few of these.

4.01/5  rDev +7.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Dark golden beer, crystal clear. Pale white head was half-inch and strong, dissipated slowly down to a sparse layer. Exhibited some pleasant lacing.

S-Resinous-piney hops, bright, but also quite thick. This aroma just keeps going.

T-Piney hoppiness, somewhat citrusy, storms the doors with the assistance of a pleasant, appropriate bitterness. This hoppiness is soon followed by some estery qualities and a nutty, toasty maltiness. An assertive breadiness comes through later, leading to a relatively dry finish.

M-This body feels right. Medium feel, carbonation is spot-on medium, finishes light.

D-Easy to enjoy, smooth & enjoyable. This one really hit the spot the day that I purchased it. Delicious.

2.93/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a two finger cream head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Cloudy amber color. Nose is light grapefruit hops. Flavor is grapefruit hops with a lingering bitter aftertaste. Malts stay hidden. $1.95 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

2.97/5  rDev -20.6%

I wasn't too excited to try this beer after reading some of the reviews, but when I went to the liquor store there was a little star-rating tag in front of the beer and I couldn't resist. I was suprised at how similar it tasted to Dogfish 60 Minute! It poured ok.. a decent body with a small half-inch head. Was a lot more clear than I would expect for this style, and the taste reflected that. It was a little on the watery side. I'd have this beer again, but it wasn't my favorite for this style - not even close.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Initial pour produces a large fizzy white head. This settles a bit to a large bubbled wispy head. Quickly collapse upon itself. Orange amber color with the slightest haze. Sparse visible carbonation makes it way up. Clumpy lacing left around the glass.

Nice aroma. A mix of fresh light citrus with some biscuity malt. A bit of fruit as it warms.

Decent IPA. I notice a little bit of a chalky, yeasty flavor. Fairly nicely balanced. A touch of alcohol in the flavor. More pronounced malt flavor than the aroma led me to believe. A slight sweetness in the background and a moment of fruity esters.. Almost finished a bit dry with the hop bitterness and the chalky finish. Aftertaste is like chewing on grapefruit skin.

Medium bodied. Very little carbonation.

This is a decent IPA, but not one I would chase again. Not sure I enjoy the dry nature of it.

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

A: A slightly hazy, dark amber, almost copper color under a one inch head that quickly dissipates but leaves an impressive web of lacing down to the last drop.

S: An overwhelming bundle of floral hops that I detected maybe a hint of citrus in, if anything.

M: A moderately malty body with a good balance of hops and carbonation that falls more in line with a traditional English style IPA than most American IPAs I've tried.

T: A simple and good balance of sweet and bitter with a robust yet smooth body.

D: This was smooth sailing for the IPA lover in me and the non-IPA drinker in my Gal...

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

The ale from my Goose Island mix pack poured a golden yellow with a big creamy white head that filled up and left nice lacing in my pint glass.

Not a lot of smell. Mainly of pine.

Of course the taste was totally dominated by grapefruit and piney hop flavor. One has to try very hard to find some malt in the background. the ale then left a strong piney aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was not too thick or thin. This had plenty of carbonation. An ok ale if you just want to drink one or two brews with a lot of flavor. I don't think I would want any more than two at the most. Of the 4 varieties in the Goose Island mix pack this ale was alright but would be my least favorite.

4.15/5  rDev +11%

On-tap. Pours a hazy deeper gold. Decent off-white head with not a whole lot of retention. Really couldn't spot a whole lot of visual difference from my friend's Coors Light, except for a bigger head. Smell is fresh, high-tipped sweetgrass. Very clean, love the fresh hop scent. Taste is maltier, with a light, raw sugar-like base that is very nice. Hops almost act as support, although you get a big, spiced, even mouthfeel all around. Big citrus flavor. Very good.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Lighter peach/light orange color. Slightly hazy. Lots of fluffy cream color head. Nice "sip level" lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Citrus, grapefruit hops. A touch of malt sweetness too. The nose seems slightly muted.

T: Floral and citrus hop twang up front with a nice lightly sweet malt background. I do pick up an odd soapy flavor near the finish that isn't too pleasant. Slightly spicy almost?

M/D: Very frothy, thicker body, especially for an IPA. Nice delicate carbonation. I'm only good for a few of these, can't get over the odd, faint soapy flavor.

2.96/5  rDev -20.9%

A- Poured into a pint glass with about a one finger head. The color was a bit darker than normal for an IPA, a type of deep amber.

S- Smell didn't really do anything for me, hints of hops was about it- otherwise, quite bland

T- Taste is where this beer really surprised me. It started out with a decent hop bitterness and flavor, then subdued with a spicyness that I wasn't privy to. It took me off guard and really wasn't too appetizing for the warm spring night we were celebrating. By the end of the beer, the hop bitterness really went away and it drank like a spiced american pale ale

M- A tiny bit thicker for an IPA, but was interesting and not too disliked, because it was something different... though I was really hoping for something more refreshing

D- I tried to ration the beer while finishing my blue cheese burger and ended up with a good bit left at the end, realizing that I wasn't in any hurry to finish it or savor it for that matter. It was a good food pairing, but I feel that it didn't provide much refreshment to myself. I wouldn't be able to drink more than one or two at the absolute max of this.

Overall, I was disappointed. My father had ordered a 312 at my suggestion that night, which put me in the mood for a Goose Island for my second beer, but as mentioned in taste, it was just too spicy. It was more than just a hoppy floral flavor. I think I may try this beer again in the fall or winter when in the mood for an IPA, as I feel it may please my senses more in that time of year. I just can't really say that I reccomend this to anyone or am looking forward to having it every again...

4.15/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, clear, gold in color, moderate carbonation

Smell: pine hops

Taste: some citrus hops, big pine hops, and caramel

Mouthfeel: light bodied, medium carbonation, slightly bitter with sweet elements

Drinkability: Very good. Simple yet nice and piney. I sort of see this as a comperable and cheaper version of some of the west coast pine ipas that I like. The hops are not overpowering. A good brew.

3.46/5  rDev -7.5%

On tap @ the Winking Lizard. Pours copper with a white head.

Smells of citrus hops and a light caramel malt.

Taste is nice, decent enough. Malt has a crystal sweetness to it and some balance between the fruity aroma hops and the real bittering agents. But there's no real wow factor here.

Mouthfeel is good. Nice body, clean carb.

Overall, this is a nice session beer but nowhere close to being a world-class IPA.

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

12oz bottle, Duvel snifter

What a great example of a well rounded, quality IPA. There is never a bad time to drink beers like this; after a long day, with a nice meal, hell even if you are thirsty.

Pours a bright amber, nice and cloudy. Medium white head, dissipating into a wispy cap.

Smells nice - apricot and grapefruit, grassy, bitter hops.

The taste follows the nose, but finishing maltier than the aromas would allude to. Fruity, surprising level of bitterness. Well balanced, easy drinking, no booze.

Mouthfeel is smooth, medium carbonation.

I could easily have a few of these, in fact I wish I had more. Every aspect of this IPA can be identified yet no characteristic overwhelms. Love it!

4.3/5  rDev +15%

Review from notes in October 09. On tap at MacGregor's.

A - Clear golden honey with a short lived white head. Excellent lacing. 4.0

S - Light lemon zest and grapefruit juice. Herbal bitters and a touch of robustness. 4.0

T - Strong sweet malty backbone with a very complementary hop presence. Wonderful balance between bittering and citrus flavor. Lingering bitter aftertaste. 4.5

M - Medium bodied and well carbonated to smoothness. 4.0

D - Excellent. Can easily do a few of these. 4.5

4.27/5  rDev +14.2%

Found this in a variety pack at Kroger. I have mixed feelings about Goose Island beers, so I approached this one with cautious optimism.

A=A charming amber color, though a little cloudy. Head dissipates almost immediately to an equally charming layer of lace-thin foam.

S=Raises my expectations skyward. Pine, peach, citrus, even capers. Notes of...pretty much anything good.

T=Just fine. Not the strong hoppy flavor one probably expects (or wants) from an IPA: instead, a mildly fruity, sedate counterpart to stronger IPA's out there.

M=Smooth. Delicate carbonation, super-clean finish. I just finished it, and you will find no trace of this beer on my tongue.

D=A "gateway" pale ale, in which aficionados will find nothing to reproach, but little to muster their enthusiasm. A wonderful beer, but not a wonderful IPA, for better or worse.

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my new favorites from Goose Island. Bottled on 2-2-10. Having hot dogs with macaroni and cheese with fresh grated parmesan cheese for dinner and this beer pairs perfectly. A - great looking beer with 3 inch head in my Duvel tulip. S - not very hoppy, more earthy which fits the english ipa style. T - very refreshing after an afternoon of running errands. M - frothy goodness. D - could easily session these.

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%

Pale golden color. Just slightly cloudy with a medium white head.

Aroma is hoppy and fruity. Noticeable sweet peach-like fruitiness with a bit a malt in the back.

Flavor is dominated by a floral hop character. Very floral, like fresh-cut flowers. Bit of malty sweetness is there to offset the hops a little. Hop character is more flavorful than bitter, though the bitterness is there throughout.

Average body & feel for the style. Good carbonation levels.

Pleasantly drinkable, flavorful, and not harsh. I would definitely buy it again.

4.38/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

About to go on a long trip, figured I would relax and review my first beer on here before I go. Just bought this last week, have enjoyed the few bottles I have had immensely.

Appearance - Slightly cloudy, but still a great amber color that makes this overcast day feel a little sunnier.

Smell - Apples, pine, and orange zest all come and creep up your nose. The hops are definitely present (this is an EIPA, after all), and let their piney goodness be well known.

Taste - Bitter, fruity goodness. It's the tartness of a good apple combined with the spicy tastiness of hops. A dream. Alcohol lingers on the tongue afterwards.

Mouthfeel - Has a creamier mouthfeel than expected; definitely a bit on the heavier side. Carbonation adds a nice, reserved tang.

Drinkability - A wonderful drink. I'm looking forward to the rest of the pack when I get back to the States. WDA (would drink again).

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Sunny saturday in midtown and the pig and whistle was on my way around noon which seemed like the timeliest of opportunities for some pub grub, and since i'd been in the mood for a full english this week i fancied the, err- irish breakfast here. with a nice pint of this GIIPA in hand.

Poured in a nonic, straw yet dark yellow toned with a small white head with a film topping the beer and certainly some lacing. maybe it was short-headed due to how they poured it, the foam seemed to hold better than that.

Smell is very yeasty, kinda sweet mouldy with a nice alcohol nosefeel kinda just accompanying a more delicate and subtle maltiness, while hops seem to be left near completely out of the equation.

Taste is very nice and refreshing. a certain sweet-bitter rush straight up, caramel maltyness with the hops once absent here rushing to become available. yet still subtle enough. the latter half is dedicated to the readily present spicy yeast feel, kind of sour for one part but certainly complimentary, where the alcohol seems a bit better hidden than expected.

And no doubt, refreshing while almost heat-stroked while rushing through my irish bacon. not bad at all.

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

Slight chill haze to the light amber liquid. Moderate head with some staying power. Spotty lace.

I really enjoy the fresh floral hop aroma of this beer.

Excellent blend of malt and hop on the initial sip. The swallow and aftertaste are all bitter hop. Full bodied without being too rich. It's a classic example of the Brit IPA genre.

4.45/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

1st why did GI call this an Eng IPA??? i guess so it can be the best EIPA i have ever had!!!

bottled 1/08/10

pours clear golden orange with a 2 finger head that had good retention and left lacing all down the glass

smells of strong citrus/pine hops with soem malts in the back ground

taste - to me this has American IPA all over it but who cares - grapefruit - sweet malts next to the citus hops that give it a bubblegum flavor - great bitter ash hops in the aftertaste

mouthfeel is a medium body with great carbonation to give it a crisp bite and a creamy finish

drinkability - its been many months since i last had a GI IPA so i was very suprised to be enjoying it this much

3.59/5  rDev -4%

L: orange yellow, nice pour, two finger head, laces glass well

S: Pine overtones, strong citrus smell dominates

T: Citrus overpowers, pine bitterness, lemony. One dimentional, mostly bitter and unbalanced

M: Suprising light feel with good carbomation.

D: Very drinkable with alcohol and bitterness in balance yet flavors seem to be out of balance.

Reminds me of Ithaca Flower Power IPA and I would by it again.
This is my first beer from Goose Island.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

I got a goose island sampler pack this weekend. So heres we goes.

Appearance- Beautiful Orangy copper body with a puffy 2 finger white head. It is a very pretty brew. Nice sticky lacing. The head falls into a slight slick on top of the glass.

Smell- Very earthy, piny, and citrusy smelling. Very hoppy but not quite Hop Bomb status. It smells good! Slight malt back there.

Taste- Hoppy goodness! It has a very earthy hoppy taste to it with some grainy and slight caramel notes to it. As it warms I got a floral like character in the taste

Mouthfeel- Smooth medium body. Carbonation is perfect for this beer. It has a great hop bite which makes this beer take a little longer to consume which is great.

Drinkability- This is one of the most drinkable IPAs I have come across. It is not a hop bomb or big IPA but it is very drinkable none the less. This would be a good beer to bring someone into the craft world. If you know someone who is new to craft this is a great initiation beer. It gives them a proper introduction to the IPA without destroying their tongue the first time out. It's medium body and carbonation make this a very smooth and refreshing beer that is easy on the pallete and wallet. I think this was my favorite offering out of this pack.

A: Pours a clear burnt orange with a finger thick head. Head dissipates quickly leaving a lace on the glass.

S: Hops are prominent with a slight citrus aroma.

T: Taste of spice and hops with a slight fruity feel.

M: Medium body with decent carbonation and hops.

D: Decent IPA, could use more hops for my liking but overall a good beer.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

A: The large rising head slowly catches up with the pour and leaves a nice 2 finger fluffy head in my La Chouffe tulip glass that leaves a nice lacing. Brilliantly clear golden orange color.

N: A nice spicy fresh hop aroma. Some pine, but mostly earthy spicy fresh almost wet hopped aroma. A little bit of a hop oil to add to it. No real malts.

T: The hops don't hit as much at first. It has a slightly sweet and toasty malt flavor at first surprisingly. A nice smooth malt. Then some pale hops start in, English style bitterness. It adds some light earthy chewy hop flavors and a little juicy hop undertone. Slight musty hop flavor, but very light.

M: Decent body with a ton of carbonation.

F: It get more bitter as it finishes but never really gets very bitter. Some earthy spicy hop flavors linger a bit, with that pale flavor. It actually finishes very clean too. Overall a pretty nice balanced IPA, doesn't seem very English style, but has some parts of it, perhaps more of a marriage of English and American basic IPA.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
India Pale Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.