India Pale Ale - Goose Island Beer Co.

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

good

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Bourbon color, grapefruit aroma, fruity hop flavor, dry body.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev -18.4%

Thanks jwinship83 for allowing me to try this.. however I think I got a bad bottle... at least I hope. I'll leave this up until I get another to try.

A - Cloudy orangy amber. Almost no head, thin layer.

S - Citrusy sour hopiness

T - Overall floral and sourness that doesn't impress me. The hops taste dull. Taste ends with a rush of big malt flavor.

M - Thin/medium bodied, palate is left slightly sticky. Low carbonation.

D - The sourness and lack of that hop freshness taste made this one a little harder to get through.

3.97/5  rDev +6.1%

The inauguration of President Obama brought me not only an unforgettable and moving experience, it brought me and the rest of DC glad tidings of Goose Island, which is not normally distributed in the area.

Poured an appealing orange gold with a white head. Decent retention, pretty good lacing.

A grassy and citrus-filled nose. Grapefruit and lemon rind. Malt hovers in the background.

Grass to the taste as well, not to mention the grassy-grainy feel. Nicely sharp. Orange mixes with some biscuit malt. Pine resin sticks to the palate. The flavors become maltier as it warms.

Crisp, pretty solidly carbonated.

I greatly preferred this beer when it was darn cold, but its still a solidly crafted IPA upon warming, too.

3.21/5  rDev -14.2%

Has a light amber color that is slightly cloudy, you almost can't tell if it's cloudy or not. It had a white head that was super thin and discipated quickly.

The taste, VERY hoppy, characeristic of an IPA. It had kind of a wheat taste, but there wasn't much there. Mild carbonation. It made the front and middle of my tongue twinge a bit, not so much the throat.

I can't say I was overly impressed with the lack of taste and safistication. It's not bad, but it doesn't have much to distinguish itself. Just another overproduced micro on its way to macro land.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

I had two pints of this at McCoy's on 9th avenue and 52nd in Manhattan the other night. I had Goose Islands Honkers Ale(bitter) about a year back and was glad to try out a good Chicago brewery again.

A: Poured into a pint glass to detail a partially hazy transparent orange-amber that I reckon is from the generous amounts of hops within this brew. Medium darkness for IPA's while the head was a proud, dense and dark cream color with a finger size head retaining for a prolonged period of time. Top notch crescent lacing and rings well above the beer till the very last quaf.

S: The nose was sweet hops and a citrus section (Cascade?), malts, and estery in the flower way.

T: Unless Goose Island late 08 IPA is different from many other reviewers in the past, I tasted more malts and sweetness before the standard hops and IBU factor. Granted, this is a hoppy beer, but perhaps I'm on a roll with the sweet accented IPA's, because this one is not all hop bomb but rather a good mixture of all the components necessary to a quality IPA. I got more dry and roasted malts and assumed the Cascade and some other hops which I can't figure out was added to the mix.

After doing my homework and reading beer101, I think there is some hopback action going on in this Goose Island product. With patient warming, the hop profile grows stronger and a concise bitterness pervades as well as some grapefuit citrus to let you know this is a full bodied IPA.

M: Medium body with standard carbonation to provide good crispness along with the dry and obvious hoppy finish. Very smooth and velvety on the tongue to balance well with the hop zing.

D: I was highly impressed with Goose Islands IPA and will pull for a sixer of this boy the next time I'm so inclinded. A smooth and sweet IPA at first with growing hops bitter bang not far behind. Good clean delivery and not too shabby in the IBU tally count. This is the IPA if you want something creamy but still full of hops.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Piraat tulip glass. Bottled on 11 4 08.

A Pours with a nice frothy white head over an appropriate golden translucent body with visible carbonation rising up. Some lacing on the glass after the beer dissapears.

S Hops to the nose but not overpowering. I smell little else. The hops are piney to the nose.

T Hops in the front with a doable mid taste but then the aftertaste gives an unwelcome burst of near spoiled grapefruit hops that I really do not like. It is true to the style and this style is not one that I enjoy. Distant aftertaste is not bitter and even a little sweet. My score will get bumped up for that.

M Thin watery in the mouth but the hops ramps up the overall feel to moderate to full.

D Good for the style and higher than I expected.

Notes: A drinkable IPA.

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Goose Island IPA

Appearance-dark shade of red, heavy bubbles and carbonation, lacy and a lot of action.

Smell-deep hop aroma, alcohol and fusel smells are well hidden, malt and a sour aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel-well balanced, hoppiness is enjoyable, but it's the malt mixed in that makes it a step above.

Drinkability-hoppy but enjoyable, not that alcoholic.

Overall-nice IPA, well balanced and tasty. I'm a fan.

I know we're not supposed to review beers we have a bias against, but in this case I'm reviewing the one Goose Island beer I've actually drank more than once.

Goose Island IPA has an overpowering hop sensation to it that I believe is the only thing bringing me back time after time. This is the attribute that l feel helps define an IPA. I've had many other IPA's that seem more or less rather on the timid side and unlike Goose Island IPA, I could easily just call them regular pales.

With that said, Goose Island hasn't produced another style that I consider worthy of even brewing. Sorry, I just feel it needs to be said.

4.23/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a delicious beer. The color is very nice and poured with a great head that stayed with the glass the entire time. You can tell how many sips you've had by the rings it leaves.

The smell was very inviting. The smell was strong and hoppy

The taste is beautiful. It has grassy and piney notes.

Mouthfeel is very good. feels substantial and full.

I can drink ten of these babies. Full of flavor but goes down easy

4.42/5  rDev +18.2%

On-tap at Patton Alley Pub in Springfield, MO.

Pours a gold-ish copper with about a finger's worth of head.

Nose is delicious and hoppy, running the gamut from piney to slightly floral to sweet citrus. Flavors follow the nose, leaning toward pine with a good dose of juicy citrus thrown in for good measure. Medium-bodied and crisp, leaving me wanting another sip. A solid IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Gold color, slightly cloudy. White head that draws down to thin layer leaving laces along the way.

S - Hops! - piney, spicy and citrus. Love the aroma. Background caramel malt.

T - Hops dominate. Sweet caramel malt to lesser degree. Bitterness is obvious and lasts. Gives a tingly sensation all the way down.

M - Smooth feel, medium body. Finish has a bite.

D - Very drinkable. I find the imbalance between the dominate hops and the secondary malt to be good. I could drink plenty of these. Not too filling.

Overall - Good beer. Again, hops prevail. This is what an American IPA should be in my mind.

4.32/5  rDev +15.5%

A- pours a golden/copper with a finger head and good retention.

S- Citrus hops with orange peel/grapefruit/piney. What a medley of hops harmony. Wakes the nose up, and begs it to dive into the glass for a greater taste, er, smell.

T- Hoppy on the tongue, as it was on the nose. Hop lovers delight.

M- Crisp, fresh, slightly crisp/dry on the finish, begging for another sip.

D- I have enjoyed this IPA in great abundance over the last five or so years. It is a staple in my fridge, as far as IPAs go. Ages VERY well, but rarely ever gets a chance to do so.

This is a favorite of my beer buddies, and has many times been considered the best all around IPA we have tried.

4.15/5  rDev +11%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a hazy gold, with a fluffy, white, one-finger head. Decent head retention and lots of lacing.

S: Has a pleasantly hoppy aroma. Pine, citrus, and a bit of sweetness.

T: Very crisp taste of hops. Piney and also sweet. There's a lot of sugary sweetness from the malts. It's as if someone made an IPA into candy.

M: Very crisp, lots of carbonation. It's tingly on the tongue and down the throat.

D: The flavor and generous carbonation make this a very drinkable beer.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a deep yellow color, with what I'm calling an average head for an IPA. Not bad, but nothing special. Retention isn't great; the head is almost absent with 3/4 left.

Average again on the nose. Smells like a good IPA, but nothing really jumps out at me. Hops are present (spicy and mildly piney), with no real malty notes. Intensity is weak. Pretty boring aroma.

On the palate, bitterness hits first, then citrus (lemon), followed by some more subtle hop notes. Bitterness makes its return midway through the finish. The hop flavor and aroma is far outpaced by the bitterness.

Mouthfeel is very nice and silky, and the carbonation is just right. This is the best part of this beer.

Drinkability is relatively high. Not enough bitterness or alcohol to deter me from a second bottle, but perhaps not enough interest to persue one.

Overall, definitely a very good beer, but nothing special. I wish there was at least something that really jumped out at me; some strong citrus or floral notes, but it just doesn't happen.

With Odell IPA available locally for a comparable price, I have absolutely no reason to buy this beer again.

Edit: Just realized this one was about 5 months old at time of consumption. Probably not a very fair assessment.

This is my first sample of a Goose Island Beer. Born on Date on bottle 9/11/08, bottle poured into pint glass

a: hazy nut brown color that lightens towards the bottom of the glass. 1/4" head that has slight retention. Reduces into very light lacing. Good amount of carbonation.

s: nice blend of earthy hop and malt

t: A nice sweet malt backbone that is peirced slightly by the hops. Very well balanced taste for an IPA.

m&d: medium body, the carbonation definatly helps the drinkability. Finishes slightly dry, but I believe that is jsut its style.

Solid IPA!

Cheers!!!

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light amber color with a sturdy head that turns rocky but leaves a decent pattern of lace on the way down

Smell: Blended aroma of sweet malt and citrusy/piney hops

Taste: Biscuity up front with a developing earthy bitterness; after the swallow, the hops dominate, as expected, adding a bit of a citrusy and tropical fruit character to the earthy tones

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A decent, balanced IPA that satisfies both the hophead and the mainstream

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

12 oz beer

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden under a small white head. No lace, good retention.

S: Very nice citrus hops mixed with a balanced sweetness. Very simple but very good.

T: Again, very simple. Not overly bitter, citrus hop and sweet malt very balanced. Very refreshing.

M/D: Body is light, carbonation is slightly prickly but feels appropriate. Extremely drinkable. Nothing over the top here, just a good American IPA.

3.16/5  rDev -15.5%

A-Pours a clear amber with a thin white head and no lacing.

S-Pretty much all malt. I would not have known this was an IPA by the nose as it smells like an amber ale.

T-Similar, but I can note some light hop presence in the end of the finish. Not much, though. A pleasant taste but not the way I like the style.

M-Light to medium bodied, medium carbonation.

D-A bit disappointing really. I expected more from GI as I have liked every beer of theirs I have gotten. This one, not so much. Worth a try though.

HV

3.81/5  rDev +1.9%

Smells of grapefruit/citrusy hops, some malt and even some alcohol. Very nice, but doesn't have much staying power.

Pours clear orange, modest white head recedes quickly. Very little lacing.

This is growing on me. Had one a few days ago and I wasn't impressed. Current sample is working for me much better. Sweet malt upfront, contrasted by the grapefruity hop flavor cutting across it. Grapefuit and some bitterness linger on the back of the tongue.

Plenty carbonated, some tingling, subdued texture.

Size of this brew should not impede using this in session, but the lingering bitterness may slow down some.

Maybe I didn't let it warm enough when I had it a few days ago, but I definitely wasn't especially impressed. But this is a good beer. I even thought at the time that it was more of a Pale than an IPA, but maybe the temp or something I had eaten, or having been traveling all day, or some combinagtion thereof, obscured my palate.

4.18/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a clear golden orange color with two fingers of fluffy white head and some major retention time.

Scent of sweet malts, citrus, and hops. Not as hoppy as I prefer, but this is a fine example of what an IPA should smell like.

Taste of citrus, hops, and malts; simple and effective, a solid IPA.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied, nice.

4.59/5  rDev +22.7%

Goose Island IPA. Finally reviewing this guy.

A- pours a golden transparent with good head and retention.

S- I just have to give this a 5. This is one of the best nose's on a regular IPA there is. Just amazing. Citrus hops with orange peel/grapefruit mix. Fresh pine. Not overpowering, just perfect. I could smell this beer all night.

T- Follows the nose well. Great hops that make their point up front. So tasty.

M- Nice sharp carbonation

D- I bought this actually thinking about SN Celebration Ale. I don't think GI IPA gets enough credit. After BCS and Matilda, this is Goose Island's best. And its so classic and versatile. I remember drinking this at a music fest downtown Chicago in July and the hops tasting just as good in 90 degrees as they do tonight in Chicago with snow and 9 degrees. Probably my favortie IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my 100th review! Glad I had a good brew for it...Picked this up at a Walmart, no less, during a recent visit to OH.

Pours a murky gold (chill haze?), but is much lighter than I expected. Small head, but great lacing. Smells of strong pineapple citrus, some clove, and slight pine notes.

Wow. This is a great tasting IPA! The pineapple taste mirrors the scent. Great hop bitterness at the onset, during the drink, and at the finish, but without the bitter aftertaste. This IPA will not burn the mouth out, but man is it satisfying! Very smooth and crisp. I really like this beer...

3.39/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a dark straw color with a nice big white head.

Smell is a mild hop aroma. It was hard to detect much. There was the usual suspects after a few sniffs: Citrus and pine

Taste is very mild and easy to drink. This would be a fantastic introduction to IPAs. Not too bitter or stong in any flavor but pleasant to any hop head.

Mouthfeel is thin and a bit watery but that just makes it go down easier.

3.35/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Nice color, but a very thin head and no lacing

S - Pine and citrus notes. Not too distinctive, but I think I may have had the beer too cold.

T - Hoppy without being agressive - that can be good and bad depending on what you like. Did have an odd metallic aftertaste, though.

M - Good mouthfeel - I thought it would be thinner but better than anticipated.

D - Drinkable. (see note below).

This beer's good, but I think I have screwed myself up as of late because I have been tasting a lot of Imperial IPA's. This beer just doesn't do it for me in light of what I have been drinking.

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a clear golden color, large bubbles in the 2 finger white head. Head sticks around for a while, seems to cream up well, very nice lacing.

A nice piney scent to this. Very crisp smell. Some citrus backgrounds as well.

Pretty nice balance of hop and maltiness. Some spicy floral notes up front and a nice hoppy bitterness at the end, all mellowed out by a nice malty background.

Pretty light body. Mild carbonation. This is not a bad IPA at all, and is a very drinkable beer. This would be a good session beer for me.

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a clear, light amber color with a small white head that had good retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass.

Very robust aroma immediately after pouring but it faded quickly. Pine aroma from the hops and a bready malt base.

Moderate hop flavor upfront. A nice malt flavor balances the bitterness. Finishes with a slightly citrus flavor.

The body is a little light, bordering on thin. Carbonation is a bit harsh.

I liked this one. Not a total hop bomb. I would be able to drink a few of these without overloading the tastebuds with bitterness.

India Pale Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.