Oatmeal Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Oatmeal StoutOatmeal Stout

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.10% ABV

This beer is currently in retirement. Last packaged in 2010. Brewpub draft only.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-25-2002)
1.75/5  rDev -54.5%

1.93/5  rDev -49.9%

Extremely dark brown. No head or lacing. Medium mouthfeel. Slightly resinous palate. Tasts like cola. No oatmeal flavor here. It's quality is good, just not up to my taste... Tastes more like a straight up porter. I'd rather actually have a guinness...

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

2.4/5  rDev -37.7%

Black like it s/b. Very little head- what gives? Mouthfeel is way too watery for a stout, especially for an oatmeal stout. Where's my creaminess?!?! Zero complexity, just a dark watery beer with a feint roasted barly flavor. One of the wimpiest stouts I've ever had. Drinkability is great due to the wateryness, but it just falls short in every stout detail there is. I've had on tap and several bottles. Don't waste your time on this one.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Very little head. Black color, not much carbonation. No lacing down the sides as the beer is drunk.

Smells of malt and a hint of coffee. Very strong taste of roasted malts. Not a good balance between malts and hops. The oats aren't adding enough sweetness, either. Just too much roasted flavor here.

This is too thin for a stout. Too watery for my taste. Not recommended, I won't buy it again. I expected more from a Goose Island product.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Ol’ Goose Island – this should be good.

Nice blackish pour, but topped by an almost non-existent tan head. I can make out some small whiffs of coffee and anise, but very weak. Now, we get to the quaff, and damn, what a wimpy brew.

Thin and watery, the taste is a pusscake mixture of watered down stout and some coffee grounds. THINNISH oaty I have every had.

I can’t believe Goose Island put this crap on the market. Is this an AB mass market push into the crowd? As you guess, a real downer.

2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

12 oz bottle stamped with a Best When Consumed By 3/22/08 poured into a pint glass a opaque black with virtually no head.

Heavy smokey grain smell with some hints of coffee

Very blunt burnt taste here, coffee, smokey, not very dinamic at all

Cola like carbonation fairly active, fine bubbles, thinish body that rounds out nicely with a clean finish.

I was incredibly disappointed by this beer, I am a pretty big fan of stouts and I couldn't even finish this one. A true bummer

2.58/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- A very dark brown, almost black liquid. There a quite a few floaters that give it a very dirty look when held to a light. After a hard pour, a small off white head forms and settles to a few splotches fairly quickly. It it just kind of a sad looking beer- there is nothing exciting there.

S- Very chocolaty and earthy. Oatmeal is definitely noticeable. Kind of sweet. A little bit of coffee. Very roasty.

T- Very sweet and earthy. A LOT of raisin and some oatmeal. Somewhat smokey. Something is off here. I am not enjoying this at all.

M- A little to sweet and somewhat cloying. The carbonation seems to be alright though. Pretty smooth.

D- This is a pretty disappointing beverage. I love stouts, but there is just something off about this one.

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

The bottle had a drink by date of 07/03/06, so I'm consuming it a few days late, although it was properly cellared. That said, I think it had turned slightly.

A-Pitch black with a small, slightly carmel head

S-Roasted malts with hints of coffee and chocolate lingering

T-This has a strong roasted malt flavor with a lingering, slightly hoppy aftertaste. I thought I detected a hint of, for lack of a better word, skunkiness.

M-Very acidic for this style, not pleasant.

D-Lingering aftertaste prevents drinkability. Also, I felt suprisingly bloated afterwords.

Not real excited about this one, definatelyl not the desert beer I was hoping for.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

What does a guy have to do to get a decent oatmeal stout? The last few I have had have been subpar at best (are fat dog and sam smith really the only ones out there for me????).

I accept the possibility that this beer way past its prime. The "best by" date is Oct 2006, but I am a bit hesitant to claim the beer was stored properly.

In any case, it had a very strange aftertaste - hard to explain, but it was almost biting. I felt like it was an attempt at bittersweet oatmealy chocolate, but instead it just hurt. Very little oatmeal in this OATMEAL stout - none of that great sweetness I love. Instead it was overwhelmed with chocolate and coffee, and a bit of hops. Arg - stay true to the style!!

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz poured into a pint

A- Dark brown, almost black completely opaque, zero head
S- Roasted malt, very faint coffee, very faint dark chocolate. Smells quite like nothing almost watery
T- Burnt coffee, faint malts and bitter chocolate
M- Again I don't know what it is but quite watery, high carbonation for a stout IMO
D- Relatively drinkable I think if they cut down on some of the carbonation it would be much more enjoyable.

I'm glad I bought this beer to try but probably won't get again.

2.85/5  rDev -26%

Pours black an opaque with a beige head that is quickly dissapating as I write this. There is no lace at all. The aroma is of roasted oats, coffee, oak, and paint. The mouth feel is really silky and light with tastes of wood, coffee, and roasted barley. It has the ho pbitternessbut there is no taste of hops. There is the sharp bitey bubbles hitting the back of the palatte, like a cheap macro brew. Kinda disappointing.

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

Appearance: Pours almost black with hints of purple. There's little head and what exists doesn't last long.

Smell: Coffee and a sweet alcohol aroma dominate the nose... and that's all I can pick up. Doesn't smell bad, though.

Taste: Again mostly coffee, but some oat based sweetness shows up. I couldn't pick up any hops, but the burnt coffee makes up for that in a way. There's some nuttiness that loses it's place in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The burnt malts create substantial bitterness that's a little too overpowering for me. The carbonation is a bit high, but doesn't really detract.

Drinkability: Not something I'm going to seek out again, and probably not something I'll have if given a choice... I can't really imagine being forced to drink this one either. It's not bad, just average.

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

Black color, medium tannish head. Aroma is chocolaty. A lighter bodied Oatmeal Stout. Deeply roasted malts, subtle chocolate flavor. Kind of dry, Mouthfeel is full and round and a little thin for an Oatmeal Stout. Finish is smooth. Aftertaste is malty

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

12 oz bottle.

I wanted to like this, i really did, but i just cant.

It poured out a dark brown color, much to light for a stout.. porter, maybe, not not stout. with light behind it had a cranberry color to it. small head, not much, if any lace

Smell.. one word.. ashtray. there was a background of coffee but it was definitely tobacco ashes up front dominant... not burnt malt ash smell, but tobacco ash smell. not pleasing

Taste followed smell, like i licked an ashtray from a heavy smokers house. yuck. on the back end buried deep was a few burnt coffee flavors, but dominate tobacco ash flavors prevailed.

The mouthfeel was a bit thin for a stout but was smooth, presumably due to the oatmeal.

Drinkability.. for me.. zero, but for people who dont mind tobacco ash, probably would be okay although light for a stout.. so i went 2.5.

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

Good n' black like a stout should be, with a foamy head. Not much smell for a stout of this type. The label says oatmeal, but they must have forgotten it in this brew. Decent taste, chicory bitterness in front of black malts. As others have said, could drink this all night, but with the other stouts out there, I'd rather not.

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

from the bottle. poured a dark dark brown with a tan head that did last very long. aroma, chocolate, coffee, raisins, dark fruits, malts. flavor a little weak compared to the aroma, malts , coffee, dark friuts, watery mouthfeel. not one that I think I will buy again

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

12 ounce bottle. This beer pours out black with a small brown head. The aroma is slightly roasted, but much too bland. More roastiness in the flavor, but no chocolate, which I like in an oatmeal stout. It also has an off flavor that's kind of like hot oil. This off flavor really takes away from the overall flavor and drinkability. Mouthfeel is too thin. I wasn't a big fan of this oatmeal stout, which is a style I usually enjoy.

Pours a dark brown, almost black. Little if no head at all. The smell is of coffee and oatmeal.
Taste is of coffee. Almost has a burnt coffee taste to it. This doesn't really bother until you get to the sessionability. Although the taste is average, the burnt coffee taste does get old after a few bottles.
All in all, not a bad brew. Average at best for the style. At the price point, nothing to be ashamed of picking up.
Would recommend if you have the chance and like the style.

A - A dark mahogany color with a small creamy tan head which quickly fades.
S - Decent smell of mildly roasted malts, bitter coffee and chocolate.
T - Less than interesting taste of malt, coffee and chocolate. It has a slight bitterness of burnt sugar and raw alcohol.
M - Very light in body for a stout. Smooth in character with mild carbonation.
D - Very drinkable but not the best oatmeal stout I have ever had by a long shot.

Oatmeal Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.