Matilda - Goose Island Beer Co.

MatildaMatilda

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-04-2003

Golden sunrise color, baking spice aroma, fruity biscuity malt flavor, dry body.

Users have reported some infected bottles from these batches:

4/1/10 12oz
4/17/10 12oz
4/22/10 12oz
5/20/10 12oz
4/16/10 650mL
5/21/10 650mL
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Matilda Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,206 | Hads: 4,417
1.46/5  rDev -63.2%

Poured okay - a rich honey color although the head did not stay long.

The smell was almost skunky. Before I even sipped it I was a little wary.

The taste was horrible - dirty diaper would absolutely best describe it. I had one a couple of weeks ago and felt for sure that it had to be a skunk bottle. Went back 3 weeks later - got another bottle - and tasted again. Same result -

I love a good ale.This is not an easy drinking beer.

This is a beer I could never recommend. (478 characters)

Not a fan of this one. There is a strong funkiness I do not like. I would assume it is the brettanomyces yeast that I am not liking. This may be for some people, but to me it just tastes spoiled.

Will not seek our, purchase, or drink again. (241 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -48.1%

Pours a cloudy amber with a small bit of head (maybe half an inch) which sadly fades quickly. The lace is sticky but almost non-existent.

I'm mildly put off by the smell, kind of grassy, with some unpleasantness.

On tasting it, given the bad odor, poor head, and almost non-existent carbonation, I'm beginning to think I have a skunked beer. Just bought it this week too. A shame. I'll re-review this one when I get the chance, given the excellence of the other Goose Island reserves I have trouble believing this beer is really this bad. (544 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -47.1%

12oz 01/26/2010 Bottle poured into SN Tulip

A - Deep ruby with a 2 finger beige head, nice carbonation, but too light for the style, very clear, head fades to thin cap with good lacing

S - Dark fruits, light cellar must, a little horsiness, grass, peppery alcohol, caramel and toffee, cloves, pears, a little banana, and mild chocolate

T - Chocolate, caramel, light spiciness, warming alcohol, raisins, dates and figs, honey, a little horsey.

M - Medium to full body, sweet, rich, lightly carbonated.

O - Very complex, deep, rich, spicy beer with lots of dark fruits, some Brett character, sweet finish, really enjoyed it... but it is not a Belgian Golden Strong. It is way too dark in color, aroma and flavor is of dark fruits and caramel and not of pears or apples, carbonation is too light, and the finish is too sweet for the style, Belgian Golden Strong finishes dry and has a lighter body. Great beer, just not to style. Had it been categorized as a Belgian Dark Strong, would have had an A. (1,002 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -45.1%

This beer seemed to be trying too hard to be something. I like plenty of GIs other offerings, but this one just was a swing and a miss for me.

Poured a decent head, but just couldn't decipher any aroma. None of the usual malt/hop/yeast notes, except for maybe a tartness or sour note.

Taste is where this one falls flat for me. Too much Brett character...I just can't seem to get past it's flavor to appreciate any of the other things that would normally be associated with this style. The mouthfeel just is too thin...bordering on watery. Combined with the funk of the brett and it made for an unhappy camper. Managed to get thru the bottle but that's it, no more for me.

And I don't believe aging this one (as told by GI) will help it any either. Pass. (759 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From a 22 oz bottle. Shared with several friends.

I assume I got an infected bottle. Everyone drain poured it. The taste was pungeant and horrible. I couldn't get past 3 sips.

From reading all the reviews, that's what it has to be. Will try it once again to make sure, but in the meantime, I have to give a poor rating. (322 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -41.8%

I had this on tap tonight at my local establishment. I was rather disappointed and could not even finish the glass. It was served in a nice glass, and the bartender stated that it usually goes for $9 a glass. Tonight was half off all tap beers and I was getting a deal. I found this to have a slight undertone of peach... but after that, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It tasted like the smell of a dirty diaper to me. As I leave near Chicago, I have an affinity towards Goose Island. This one, is for the birds. Never again. Terrible mouth taste. Like I said, dirty diaper. (580 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

The color of this beer is a dark yellow/orange. The aroma you get is a slightly orange smell with a hint of just straight rotten smell as well. Tasting this beer is strictly unpleasant and just not a good at all. (212 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -40.6%

I've come to realize that while I love IPA's, standard pale ales are just not my favorite and this one is a good example why.

It's flavor is just funky. It tastes musty and that being the case, any other redeeming factor can't possibly salvage it.

It does seem to be well crafted however so if pale ales are your thing or your looking to try one for the first time then this is probably one to check out. (408 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -40.6%

Dennis: Again I am left wonder why am I paying more than $2 dollars a bottle for a 7% brew that is made close enough for me drive to the brewery. It just boggles my tiny mind. Honestly, there just nothing amazing here...although it is a little odd to try to describe. The taste reminds me of either:
a.) the after taste of a 9 volt battery on my tongue
b.) evergreen pine scent
c.) lemon lime alka seltzer
d.) all of the above
There's a bit of a hop bitterness at the end, but it just comes in way to late to make anything of this. I'm already confused and a little disappointed

Jen: I would have to say that I am not overly impressed with this "expensive" beer. It has sweet malty characteristics with a backing of citrusy apple fruits and hops. It is light in body and quite bubbly. It is easy to drink, but I don't think that it is worth $8.99. If you are trying to decide between this and another, go with the other. (928 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -39.5%

Appearance:
A lighter orange/rust color which is kind of murky with the amount of sediment dancing around. Not really an attractive color to me. A half-inch head develops which quickly dissolves to a thin layer of foam on surface.

Smell:
A smell of apricots and prunes is what I get from first whiff. I can also smell the malts!

Taste:
It tastes like what it smelled like to me plus a bit more bitter than expected which is weird since it also seems slightly watered-down to me and usually 'bitterness' and 'water-down' don't go hand-in-hand. Not particularly enjoyable.

Mouthfeel:
This slightly carbonated beverage feels fine to drink. There is a slight fizz feeling at the back of your tongue due to carbonation, but not enough to make me chug it.

Drinkability:
Drinkability is average.

Thoughts:
I will not be buying this ale again. It just isn't the flavor I like. Maybe if it didn't seem so watered-down or look like rust-water I would barely tolerate it. (971 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -39.5%

This beer pours a cloudy red-orange color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes within seconds into minimal lacing. The aroma is of some malt and some yeast, but is very subdued especially for the style. The taste is much the same, but with a strong nasty vomit like thing that I guess is most likely the yeast. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with high carbonation. Overall, this beer is hard to drink. I will not be drinking this again. (453 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -39.5%

Rich honey colored pour with no lasting head. Pours somewhat hazy. Smell is malty and belgian yeast aromas and some metal. Average unremarkable flavor mostly from the yeast and some simple light maltiness. Really found this one especially tame and bland, even being congested as I was. (285 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

After hearing nothing but great things about this beer online, where I work, and on BeerAdvocate, I'm thoroughly disappointing Goose Island's Matilda, a beer that clearly looks to cater to those not so invested with Goose Island's more mainstream line. While the beer presents itself nicely in look and smell, the taste and mouthfeel leave something to be desired. The immediate taste isn't bad, effectively presenting an extremely yeasty but potent beer until it descends into a sharp, biting aftertaste that is along the lines of a cheap, high gravity malt liquor (I can equate it to the same kind of pungent taste of high-alcohol I got when swallowing Camo Silver Ice). After a few small to medium sips of this, the taste becomes overcompensating, to the point where the beer's introductory taste isn't even the slightest bit appetizing anymore, and I just sought to finish it as soon as possible. I can't see how this beer merits such exceptional ratings; it's one of the worst beers I've had all year. (1,006 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -38%

When poured it was a beautiful dark amber colored ale. However, I was taken aback by the smell it excreted. It smelled like trash... I will blame that mostly on the yeast but it was really off putting. Though when I tasted it, it was not bad. It had a little spicy notes to it and was very dry. Overall not my kind of beer but it wasn't a horrible experience. (360 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -37.8%

Although I am new at learning about diff types of beers, I have never had one like this.

Yeast beer may not be for me, as I was surprised at what a high rating it had.

I am grading this beer in general, not by its class.

The smell of the beer also threw me off... it was quite strong, almost a bit cheesy.

Can anyone school me on this type of beer? (352 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this up in a growler. What a funky, fetid beer. Like moldy lemon peel, pine trees, and wet cork. The smell of wet socks asserted itself right away and wouldn't let go. The foamy head was generous but dissipated quickly. A orangey golden color, and mild malty aftertaste. Would not choose this one again. (310 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a golden copper color with a foamy white head on top, about one inch in height. Decent head retention, slowly dissipating to a thin layer on top, leaving behind bits of thin lace as I drink. A little bit of sediment collected at the bottom of my glass.

A: The aroma is not quite what I expected. There is a heavy buttery component that masks some fruit. I can pick up a little bit of candied dates and cherries, but the butter is a bit overwhelming.

T: Not as buttery/acetyl as the aroma lead me to believe it would be, though it is present. There is a little bit of caramel, light spice, and a little bit of fruit.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not the easiest drinking beer, not very crisp either.

O: Not sure whats up with this bottle. Not really what I expected at all. Will give it another try at some point and change the review should I need to. (883 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -34.5%

Bought at the ölbutikken in Copenhagen.

A: Not that much head, light, and bright foam. The color is golden and the liquid is clear.

S: Fruity jeast aroma, with a malty thouch, almonds.

T: Smooth maly taste with a lot of alcohol, Bitter in the start but it lays down quite fast.

M: A lot of CO2 (trippel) pretty creamy (322 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -33.5%

22 oz brewed 1/15/10 (1847)??

A copper-golden color, the copper is darker than i had expected, and it's not exactly pale. The strange part here though, is the lack of yeastie sediment, this liquid is totally clear with big spazzed-out bubbles and an equally crazy head that hisses and fizzles out really quick; this is not good, especially since this should be a very jazzy, healthy look. The lack of yeatie's and haze is most troubling.

The aroma is very sweet, dates, cherries, sugar coated raisins and slight tangy fruits with only a very mellow hint of heat. Mostly light-red variety.

A very syruppy, flat feeling malt hits first, it's just too hefty for this style and with no life from the yeast this one just sits there on the palate with little complexity to speak of. There'swheat, light cherries, sweet tanginess that goes into metallic from the brett, but the yeast and brett flavor's are nowhere to be found! Medicinal aftertaste and more sweet/sour tang from the malt is coming back.

Hopefully this bottle was a dud, it is a very fresh version of this and seemed VERY green and young, but it still wasn't right. The lack of yeast and sediment and dark malt seemed odd right off; dissapointment is the only word that fits here. (1,248 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Wasn't a fan... Pours with a white thick head that died off after a bit. . Hazy and cloudy amber in color. Very fruity, maybe banana?? A hint of spices. I might also taste a little honey. Very light and bubbly. Left a light laced glass, not completely clean. I don't think I would have another. (294 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -33%

Got this one on a trip to NYC...

A: Nothing special. Very little white head that disappears into nothing.

S: Smells like apple juice. Very tasty smell.

T: Kind of taste like sour patch kids at the bottom of an ashtray. A lot more sour taste than I had expected. Awful!

M: Decent amount of carbonation. Ok smoothness.

D: Not very easy to get down.

All in all, I think this one will be a drain pour. Unless you like sour beers, do not try this one. Not very good unless you enjoy this type of brew. (504 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Took from the fridge and poured directly into a clean glass. Nice golden amber color with a little cloudiness from the sediment. Average sized soft white head. Bright fruity smell of cherries and oranges. Meduim/full body with medium carbonation. The taste was nothing special. Very little alcohol taste present, though it did leave a warming feeling going down. Taste was a little dry and malty with only a light hop taste on the finish. I really didn't care for this one very much. (483 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -31.2%

Bottled on March 27, 2006

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color with a one finger head. Head dissipated shortly after pour.

Smell: Very nice piney hop smell. Various citrus smells (orange, mango, perhaps some banana). Sweetness is rolling right out of the mug. I'm even picking up a hint of alcohol in this one.

Taste: Spiciness is certainly the first thing that explodes on the tastebuds. Citrus (mostly orange) tastes are present. Tastes sweet after the spiciness tones down. A bit of hop bitterness follows. Alcohol isn't overpowering.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This one is a bit thick and syrupy. I'm sipping it. Overall, I'm not a fan. I think it's the spiciness that's a turn off for me. I wouldn't recommend it. (728 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -31%

2009 bottle, poured into my DFH Chalice...

Appearance: A slightly opaque ruby, mahogany color with a good inch of white, foamy head. Retention is decent, and the lacing is soapy and runny with no real schtick to it.

Smell: Some vinegar, funk, and an off sort of pickled beets smell. It took me a few minutes to lock it down, but pickled beets is what jumps to mind. Not too sure what to think about it.

Taste: Well, that pickled taste certainly carries through. Sure, it's got some funk, and there's a slight fruity quality, but I'll be damned if I can't get past that pickled taste. Not that appealing, really.

Mouthfeel: Not bad here, medium body with good carbonation.

Drinkability: As the beer warms, the funk develops a bit more and detracts from the pickled flavor, but honestly I don't really find this brew that appealing. I really don't think I'll be coming back to this one. (889 characters)

Matilda from Goose Island Beer Co.