Mild Winter - Goose Island Beer Co.

Mild WinterMild Winter

good

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  5.60% ABV

Toffee color, dark bread aroma, caramel and rye flavor, medium-light body.

(Beer added by: botham on 08-17-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mild Winter Alström Bros

joshseb05, Nov 20, 2011

Kjbuck624, Aug 22, 2014

sck419, Nov 29, 2012

Swiatek6, Dec 14, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +30.9%

$8.99 for a 6'er. Brewed with 2-row pale, carapils, dark chocolate malts, roast barley, and rye flake. Hopped with Willamette and Tettnang. 28 IBU's, 5.6% ABV.

Pours out to a clear dark brown, forming a tall, stiff light yellow head with excellent retention and great solid sheets of lace. Very fine small layer of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. Carbonation is moderate. When I first smelled this, I thought, hrmmm...something spicy in here, and seeing as how it's a "Winter" ale, I thought, maybe nutmeg or ginger, but no, it's the rye. It's very subtle but adds a tremendous depth of character on top of the mild toasty malts and hint of lightly toasted grain husk. Wonderful nose. The mouthfeel is smooth and soft, nice and rounded with a light acidity and a clean finish. The taste opens up with a lightly hoppy carbonated acidity, followed by nuts, like toasted almonds with a lingering mild sweetness in the middle, finishing with a hint of caramel, and then this really nice mellow aftertaste of leather and tobacco. Infinitely drinkable.

This has to be the single best brown ale I've ever had. There are layers upon layers of complexity, and it's exceptionally smooth, flavorful and drinkable. Not a single fault. Subtle and balanced. This, to me, defines a mild brown ale and what it should be. I am definitely gonna have to stock up on this while it's still around. Very highly recommended. I would give it all 5's if I couldn't imagine it was even better on tap.

Mitchster, May 01, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

Pillowburn, Nov 18, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +26.8%

Poured in a pint glass. Poured amber in color with a one finger light beige one finger head, almost white in color. Slight reddish copper color when held up to light. nice mild smell, plum and light nuttines, winter smell. A lot of retention as glass empties. Very little carbonation. Slight plum and nutty flavor. Great balance of spices and flavor. A perfect winter session beer. One of my favorites that I always have on hand during the winter.

bearsxco, Jan 01, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

So I brought this beer along to drink after a hike on a mild late-autumn day. It was the first time I had this beer. I have enjoyed other Goose Island products, and I thought I'd give this one a try. I did not realize it was a rye beer, an I had never had a rye beer before. This was certainly the most refreshing winter beer I'd ever had and it was spot-on for after a strenuous hike. I would describe the beer as light. I did get the vanilla and hazelnut taste. It also was creamy. I would recommend drinking this in the afternoon. You could certainly enjoy a couple. I think you would like this beer and I would suggest picking some up. I

equinox, Dec 11, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +24.7%

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A dark amber color with some orange tint around the edges. A nice medium spongey off-white head results from a moderate pour. Not much lingering lace.

Smell: There is sweet caramel malt backbone that comes through on front with just a little rye on the edges. Very little hoppiness noted.

Taste: This beer comes across almost as a brown ale at first. Bready, malty, sweetness predominate. Some toffee. As the beer warms....the rye comes through.

Mouthfeel: Medium thick....slightly chewy. Carbonation is just right. Leaves a touch of lingering sweetness and rye taste. I like the lingering flavors here...what I want from this beer.

Drinkability: Perfect for this style. This goes down easy and leaves a pleasant flavor memory. Lower ABV and IBU make this one a great session beer. While called "Mild Winter"...this is drinkable and fills a slot in my fridge all year long.

Overall: A great "average" beer. Not world class. But light years ahead of BMC junk. A great beer for the rotation when you want something easy too drink that is heavy on flavor without blowing you away. Good stuff and another great beer from GI to add to the stable.

EDIT: (2-5-11) The more I drink this one....the more I am impressed and the more complex the flavors seem to get. The rye stands out more and more as you experience this and know what to look for. This tastes like a loaf of fresh rye bread. Each swirl of the glass reignites the foam and the creamy/chewiness is amazing. I like this more each time I try it and had to give it props.This beer is definitely in my "top 10 to have in the fridge all the time" list. If Founders Red's is my "go-to" Rye/IPA...this is my "go-to" Rye/Brown Ale. These two will keep any rye lover happy!

Brunite, Jan 30, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

Goose Island Mild Winter was one of the beers I was recommended by kegworks Facebook blog. To start off it looks and smells wonderful. It is also, to date, is the first rye beer I have ever tasted. The flavor is excellent and remains solid during the first pull with little to no aftertaste, but what is really impressive about this beer was the mouthfeel. Goose Island Mild Winter is like drinking liquid silk. I could draw some parallels to a mouthfeel equivalence with some of the cold coffee beverages on the market such as the Starbucks frappuccino, but the feel of this beverage in your mouth is truly sublime. The only criticism i would wage against this beer is that, and this may be personal, is that it makes me feel thirsty afterward, as if there was a small amount of MSG in the bottle, this though may be just an aspect of the style.

Darker, Apr 13, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This reminds me of the old, long-mourned Goose Island Nut Brown that I used to drink in college, with perhaps more of a rye note. The Nut Brown was one of my favorites, so I'm glad to see a similar beer make an appearance.

The appearance is dark brown, with a good head that sticks around. I walked away for a bit while it warmed, and when I came back there was still a solid head. Nice.

The smell is a little nutty, with some raisin -- and clearly some malt hanging around.

Taste is what you expect -- malty, solid, smooth.

And it certainly felt good to me going down.

Overall, I don't think this is the best beer I've ever had -- but it's familiar, it's comforting, and it ...I mean, can I say this? It makes me happy. It's like an old friend. So for me it's a great beer -- even if it's not necessarily anything special.

TheOtherBob, Nov 05, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

Wow. Thought this would be passive and boring - NOT!!!

Enticing looking brown/auburn color, creamy thin head, nice webbed lacing.

Smells earthy, slightly spicy, very inviting. Taste is earthy, slightly spicy, toasty, bready, lots of depth to savor in the taste.

Feel is pure silk, just slides down before you know it. Leaves you craving another big swig as you ponder the wonderful complexities of all the flavors.

This blew me away. May be the best thing besides deep dish pizza to come out of Chicago ever. I can't imagine how a fresh mug on tap would be. Excuse me while I wipe this drool off of my chin.

Chugmonkey, May 16, 2009
4.51/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 11-18-12.

A- Pours a deep, rusty brownish red. Clarity is high despite the dark color. Dense, medium head of about 1.5 fingers. Great lacing and retention.

S- Mostly malty, with some sweet mixed in. Dull malts include caramel and toffee notes. Nutty flavor mixed in too, with a muted brown sugar like sweetness.

T- Starts off just like the scent, with a pretty solid malt bill. Caramel and toffee notes start and dominate throughout most of the drink. Persistent moderate sweetness underlies the whole drink with brown sugar notes. Slight hints of the rye and wheat grain peak in and out. The drink ends with a small, malty bite. Lingering caramel and toffee malts stay on the palate for a short while after the drink.

M- More carbonated than expected, but still incredibly smooth. Dense, frothy head adds to the feel on the tongue, thickening it up a bit. Smooth and moderately thick going down. Having no alcohol feel or taste, this one is good for a session.

Overall, I am presently surprised by this beer. I've been passing this up quite often and find myself regretting it now. A pretty darn tasty malty beer that's easy drinking and affordable. Go out and try it.

boilermakerbrew, Feb 15, 2013

tyleeis, Jan 11, 2013

damuts222, Dec 29, 2011

LarryMyers, Dec 22, 2012

karen603, Feb 10, 2013

jharris0624, Nov 17, 2012

wrightst, Jul 18, 2014
Mild Winter from Goose Island Beer Co.