Follow our progress ...

Juliet | Goose Island Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
JulietJuliet

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

A rye beer aged in French oak (Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon) with blackberries and Brettanomyces.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2008

Reviews: 346 | Ratings: 1,527
Reviews by BedetheVenerable:
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

MANY THANKS to wilfgu for sending this my way out of the goodness of his heart...may beer karma smile down upon him

Presentation: Gorgeously labelled 22oz brown pop top with clearly marked bottled on date; good for five years it says; I'm popping this one at about 11months in. Like many other reviewers suggested, this was a GUSHER. Having the heads-up, I had two glasses ready and only lost about an ounce or two.

Appearance: Hazy rose-colored beer with light brown tints. Lots of tiny, streaming Champagne-like carbonation, with a light rose colored, large-bubbled head with really nice retention

Smell: Light tart bretty goodness up front, mild/complex funky notes, with fresh dark berry juice and strawberry tones (maybe a touch of lemon as well?) in the background. Notes of oaky red wine as well, though maybe I'm only picking up on this because I know this was wine-barrel aged.

Taste: Decent brett funky kick up front...then comes lots of fruit; to me it actually tastes more like ever-so-slightly underripe strawberries, sweet and tart, than blackberries, but whatever it is, it's quite pleasant. There's a pretty firm, slightly puckering sourness mid-palate, and this beer ends fairly dry, cleansing, and crisp. The sourness is medium, and makes you want another sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium, dry, and tart

Drinkability: A 22oz is just about perfect

Conclusion: Popped this open to celebrate sending off my MA thesis to my committee tonight. Was it the life-changer I thought it might be? No. But then again, beers you've looked forward to for a long time rarely are. What it was was a seriously good American Wild Ale. The brett was just right (in my opinion) at just about a year old, the fruit was natural and juicy-tart, and the sourness was at a perfect level. I won't go to the ends of the earth to get another one, but if I ever saw it on my travels I'd definitely pick one up. Goose Island is really and truly going places.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2010
No hint of slowing down this wild ale had all the sour and tartness that I love but was so smooth and easy to drink. Flavor tended towards cranberry juice but I could certainly taste the Sauvignon grapes and blackberries.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at Goose Island Fulton. Blackberry Version.

Appearance: Attractive deep violet body with a healthy white head.

Aroma of vinous dark fruit, cabernet notes come through well, mildly funky, distinctive blackberry.

Taste: Refined blackberry, vinous dark fruit flavors, well rounded oakiness, very light sour fruit yeastiness notes.

Mouthfeel: Lightly sour and nicely dry. Medium body. The dryness is really wonderful in such a fruity beer. Very clean.

Drinkability: Very high. I look forward to drinking some bottles of this when it is released. Could be funkier for my tastes but really quite a pleasant beer just the way it is.

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

Received a bottle of this (as well a new growler bottle) as a valentines present from the girlfriend - dating someone who is just as into beer as you is great!!

The beer: shockingly pink when first poured, with a large foamy head. I must admit I was disappointed at first as I figured there was no way this was naturally brewed - boy was I wrong. Delicious blackberry/sour flavor on first sip, and its all 100% natural brewed. Blackberry syrup and food coloring this isn't. Taste only improves as the beer progresses: not only does this beer have great flavor, but boy is it smooth. You could drink this all night long, and that's pretty rare in the sweet/sour arena.

I had to track down a second bottle the following week, and was shocked to find it was only $13 dollars. In a world of $35 Cantillon and $25 Russian River, this is a shining star that will be seeing some serious time in my cellar.

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I enjoyed this a lot, it was a nice dry sour that in aroma and flavor was like a tart gueuze with some wine barrel character and blackberries. The berries were light in the nose and more apperant in the taste.
A pretty great beer for a sour fan. I wish I could find this beer distributed around here so I could give it a proper review but these where my impression when I had the opportunity to enjoy it while out of town. They where serving this in bottles at the City Beer Hall in Albany, NY.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks joshuaseresse!

A: GUSHER! but once it settled it was a beautiful rose color with loads of carbonation.

S: extremely cherry on the nose, an excellent sour tingle is left on the smell receptors.

T: a good sour cherry flavor attacks the mouth leaving the tastebuds somewhat numb.

MF/D: hard to get past the blast of carbonation. i'm sure it diminished the flavors somewhat, and the constant bubbling in the mouth felt like poprocks...

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Unlabeled 22oz bomber pours into my glass a slightly hazy pinkish purple hue with a quarter inch of off white bubbles on top and splotchy lacing. Aromas are quite complex with an upfront dark berry / vinous quality. Hints of vanilla and oak give the beer a wine like essence that segues into crisp maltiness and a spicy rye twang that I always enjoy. Mellow sour/funky Brett notes make up the backbone here with an overall dry, wood aged quality to the aroma. Not overwhelming, but has good depth.

First sip brings a crisp malt body upfront with the trademark spicy kick from the rye that I always notice. Dark berries mix with vinous red wine accents. Midway through I get vanilla and oak barrel flavors leading into a nice tartness. Mellow funk from the Brett as the beer flows down and finishes crisp and dry. A great mix of fruity, sour and barrel aged flavors overall.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with an airy quality about it helped along by some fast moving carbonation. I'm unsure of the ABV here, but the brew goes down easily and has a refreshing quality about it with the vinous berry flavors and the subtle sourness. I could even see drinking this one the beach on a hot summer day. Very glad I was able to sample this and look forward to its release. Keep up the experiments Goose!

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottled 12/11/10

A - Pours a clear red-tinged orange with half a finger of white head. Head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S - Tart aroma with elements of red wine, vinegar a nice amount of funk. Also a nice fruit presence, with hints of cherry, blackberry and peach. Very nice.

T - Taste follows aroma really well. The taste also has more of a full-bodied fruit presence, though not sweet, than is present in the aroma. Nice acidity and a bit of wood character. Very clean taste.

M - Light/medium mouthfeel with a nice earthiness and a dry finish.

O - A very nice sour, and my favorite of the three sisters. The big fruit presence combined with the tartness and funk put this ahead of Lolita and Madame Rose for me.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

2009 vintage. The beer pours an orange-pink color with a large white head that has a pink tint. The aroma is pretty tart with some blackberry and oak. The flavor is not near as tart as the aroma led me to believe it would be. I get some oak with a hint of blackberries as well as some lemon tartness. The fruit comes out more as the beer warms up. Fizzy carbonation and a medium mouthfeel. The beer is very prickly on the tongue. The beer reminded me a little bit of LeBleu, but that may just be the mouthfeel and carbonation. I wish the carbonation was toned down a bit.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Juliet from Goose Island Beer Co.