Juliet - Goose Island Beer Co.

JulietJuliet

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2008

A rye beer aged in French oak (Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon) with blackberries and Brettanomyces.
Reviews: 337 | Hads: 1,477
4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

Received a bottle of this (as well a new growler bottle) as a valentines present from the girlfriend - dating someone who is just as into beer as you is great!!

The beer: shockingly pink when first poured, with a large foamy head. I must admit I was disappointed at first as I figured there was no way this was naturally brewed - boy was I wrong. Delicious blackberry/sour flavor on first sip, and its all 100% natural brewed. Blackberry syrup and food coloring this isn't. Taste only improves as the beer progresses: not only does this beer have great flavor, but boy is it smooth. You could drink this all night long, and that's pretty rare in the sweet/sour arena.

I had to track down a second bottle the following week, and was shocked to find it was only $13 dollars. In a world of $35 Cantillon and $25 Russian River, this is a shining star that will be seeing some serious time in my cellar. (901 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from bomber, vintage 2010, into tulip glass.
Was lucky to score two bottle of this at a Binny's located in the suburbs of Chicago. Thought I would crack one open to celebrate the first day of the year.

A: Crimson red. There is a medium amount of head that settles fairly fast and as you drink a fair amount of lace sticks to the side.

S: Blackberry/ Cassis/ Leather/ Clove/ Barnyard (Slight)/ Vanilla/ Vinegar (Slight)

T: Tart blackberry with a nice biscuit taste on the finish. The sweet cassis comes out nicely as this beer lingers on the palate. The sourness is present, however, is not overwhelming.

MF: Creamy on the palate with a lively carbonation that makes this fun to drink. Great finish, this one lingers on the palate for a while.

D: This is very easy to drink! The complexity of the beer makes this a real treat to drink, not to mention it is dam tasty.

Overall:
Wow was really blown away by this beer. This has the qualities of both a great beer and a great wine. The cabernet barrel ageing really lends a nice dimension to this beer, particularly the vanilla and leather notes it adds. Not sure how much better this will get with age as it is already on top of its game and I would be afraid that it would loose its pure expression of blackberry. (1,275 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

This review is a copy from an email I sent to a colleague who works at Goose Island. She sent me half a bottle and asked me my thoughts back in May. It was poured from a 750 into a small tulip. Served at room temp.

So, my thoughts on the Juliet. First thoughts were that this is one of the most unique beers I have ever tasted. I don't have a lot of experience with Brett beers but after Juliet I will be seeking more out. There was a nice balance between the funky, tartness of the Brett and the mild sweetness of the berries. It started out with a mild tartness, similar to a wine and then finished with a faint sweetness and a hint of oak. The tartness was the flavor that lingered the longest afterwards but it was pleasant and not overwhelming. Honestly I haven't been able to stop thinking about this beer and the impression that it left on me and my taste buds. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many different beers I have tasted and few, if any, have left me pining for another almost a week later. I was somewhat reserved about it when it was compared to a lambic but I personally think it has much more appeal than a mainstream lambic such as Framboise which I feel is somewhat cloying. Also, it is much easier on the palate than a lambic such as Cantillion which can shy new beer drinkers away from the enjoyment of tart flavors. From what I've read the Sour Beers are going to be the next big thing. They are huge on the west coast but besides from a few small brewers (Jolly Pumpkin for example) no one has really tapped into them here in the Midwest. I think Juliet would be wildly successful and a great addition to the reserve line. (1,654 characters)

Goose Island Juliet 6.7% Wild Ale

A: Deep amber and light ruby notes, almost no carbonation, no lacing, very tame in body not very sticky

S: Huge wild notes, funk vinegar, grape peels, sour blackberries, tart wood finish

T: The fruits are more mellow, but refreshing. I willd rarely give Consecration a run for its money but this is very on point for the style and finish. I ultimately love the oaky and high abv of the Consecration but this is just fantastic. The vinous notes are supported with background sweetness and the tannins are great and add a layer of complexity to it.

M: It is very light in maltiness, thank god, and lets the fruits and wild aspect take charge with the full character. The drying fruit skin notes resonate for just long enough to make you want to reengage. I love that it doesn’t cop out the indistinct sweet/cider route or try to be a gueuze in disguise. This is distinctively sour and the experience is top notch.

D: All. Day. Long. This is a great beer and the abv makes it universally accessible and great to offer anyone. The light character with HUGE taste makes a crazy synergy that makes me want multiple bombers of this. If I had more patience, I would age it further and enjoy the mellowed version but, I do not and it is great as it is.

Narrative: Juliet knew she had something special to her. At first it was just idle whispers when she was younger. As she came of age, she learned to hone in on the narratives and focus in on the voices in her head. She had learned to learn a lot of things from the flowers, especially in the month of June. It was an ethereal talent that really did not give her any special insight to the world, but it was a power her own. “JULEZ? Are you still sitting out in the boysenberry patch?” Her conversation was interrupted abruptly and she had to put the rhododendron on hold. “Yeah mom, hang on.” The flowers really just complained and imparted sour notes into her life, but, somehow being so in sync with the idle problems of the flora made he feel whole. Juliet was a sweet minx, but sour through and through. (2,101 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

This is the third bottle of this I opening... 1st bottle gushed everywhere (about 2 months ago) and the 2nd was
at Dark Lord Day (no problems with gushing).
No problems with this bottle. August '09 batch.

Poured into duvel tulip.

Bright beautiful light reddish pink with some floaties... Huge fluffy pink head leaves little spots of lacing as it settles.looks like plenty of carbonation swirling around in here-- very steady stream of bubbles rising from the nucleation point.

Smells tart and sour. Grapefruit and lemon and sour cherries... Some dark berries-- raspberries and blackberries... The berries factor into the taste more than smell. The sweet tart taste really is quite delicious and refreshing-- and the sourness kicks this beer into world-class category. The body is so light and easy drinking that for a second it almost reminds me of blackberry clearly Canadian sparkling water from 20 years ago.

Overall-- I have had lots of sours, including many from Russian River-- I would put this beer up against any of them! It's good to see that Goose cam represent the Wilds so well and that Cali isn't the only place find a beer like this... (1,153 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

22 oz bottle dated 1/26/12 poured into a flute

A- A clear light ruby red with an orange tint and a small off white head.

S- Wine like, lots of fruit, blackberries abd cherries, both a little sweet and a little sour, some nice funk.

T- Sour blackberries, just enough funk in the finish, not getting much oak, but I am getting some wine.

M- Smooth, very crisp, medium body, dry.

O- Goose Island did a great job with this beer and it is extremely easy to drink, 8% ABV is not noticeable at all. I wish I had more, such a treat. (530 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into a stemless redwine glass. 2010 batch

As soon as you pour you get the smell of sour cherries flying up into you face. A somewhat rough pour produces a light pink head the leaves quickly. When you go in for more smell... you get a good amount of light earth funk mixed with tart red fruit.

The taste is fantastic tons fo ripe juicy cherry in the front and as it moves across the palate the tartness takes over and leaves the back of the throat with a nice ting and the cheeks puckered.

Split this with 3 friends but easily could have drank the whole bomber myself. (577 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: brilliant rose with a reddish tint and a thin layer of white foam.
S: a tart nose with a touch of barnyard, and a ton of fruit.
T: Big tart berries with spicy malt, oak, and a hint of wine.
F: Medium body and above average carbonation – the carbonation is very soft.
O: Straddles the line between wine and beer in a very nice way. (339 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

2013 Bottle
G: Goose Island Tulip (Cliche, but it felt right)

A: Reddish Orange in color with a light pink tinted head.

S: Tart sour Blackberries are still present with a sweetness that wasn't there fresh.

T: There is still plenty of bite to this beer, by more of the sweetness is pulling through.

M: Moderate carbonation which helped it feel not as bitter as when fresh. It drank smooth with a small bite.

D: I am a huge Juliet Fan and enjoyed the almost 1 year of age on the bottle. It felt more enjoyable and was still plenty sour. I'll have to open my other bottles soon! (585 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +13.4%

Huge thanks to ChadQuest for this exceptionally delicious brew

A - Juliet pours a radiant but hazy purple-red hue, capped with scant soapy bubbles, and it is very evocative of berries and red wine, which it not-so-coincidentally makes use of.

S - The nose is quite sour/tart, offering notes of unripe drupes of blackberries, raspberries and the like. There is also some unsweet blueberry notes. Underlying is some flower blossom honey sweetness. The red wine is not apparent to me in the aroma.

T - This is an excellent beer. The sourness is unrelenting, though not over the threshhold of reasonable acceptability, and serves to enhance a very lively assortment of cluster-berry fruit suggestions (all underripe) from boysenberry to blackberry. Red wine is slightly observable on the dry finish, but other than that it is not obvious in any way.

M - Dry, crisp, with a mouthwatering finish.

O - I love this beer; it is as nice tasting as I can ever recall a fruit-forward sour being. Seriously, on a Cantillon level. (1,021 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +13.4%

Drank from a 650ml - 1 pint 6 fl oz bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA
2012
Bottled: 01/26/12
Served in a chalice

Hazy, crimson hued, orangey-amber in appearance. The liquid was topped by a one-finger, off-white head that had a pink-ish/purple tinge to it. The head was super bubbly and it snapped and popped as it dissipated to a thin ring of froth.

The aroma was incredibly complex. Super musty and funky. This beer smelled more like an aged gueuze than any type of wild ale I have ever come across. Strong horse blanket notes. Lots of oak and tannins. Good dose of vinegar. As the beer warmed, the fruity character really came forth. Although I would probably not guess the fruitiness to be derived from blackberries per se, it was impressive nevertheless.

Like the nose, the flavor profile was remarkably interesting. Some tart fruits (perhaps berries or sour cherries) appeared on the front end before the funk took over. Lots of must and barnyard character. It was obvious that brettanomyces were at play here. Crisp, wheaty notes came through in the center. Oaky and slightly tannic on the back end. The beer finished tart and vinegar-like, but not overly sour or astringent. With so many factors coming into play (including the rather high ABV), I was amazed by this beer's balance and overall drinkability.

The mouthfeel was typical for the style. Medium bodied, crisp and spritzy. I could imagine this beer going down all too easily on a hot summer day.

I have been consistently blown away by Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout variants, and now I know that they can make an amazing version of a wild ale as well. This beer ranks up there with some of the best sour ales I have ever tried. Truly a superb offering. (1,761 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my new favorite brews.

Beer poured and alluring (somewhat surprising) rose color. Minimal head dissipated to sticky lacing.

The aroma was of wine. Definitely a Pinot Noir bouquet. The berry infusion is lovely, subtle, delicious and reminds me of a Cantillon bottling I sampled at Brett Fest.

The flavors came together on the palate just like wine would. I actually opened a bottle of 2005 Marc Morey Bourgogne Rouge to have as a comparison. Pinot Noir in one glass - Juliet in the other - life was good.

Light carbonation tickled the tongue and made me want more. This is a bottle that is definitely going on my wants list. Just wish it was available in New York... That should speak volumes about its drinkability. (726 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottle dressed like a wedding party favor stamped JAN 09.

A: Pours a cloudy, dirty shade of magenta that turns a tea-colored shade near the edges of the glass. A soggy off-white head fizzles for a second before fading to fluffy ring. Only a handful of lacing legs wind up sticking to the glass.

S: Aromas of berries -- sweet, tangy, dark ones -- caught me as I popped the bottle. First thoughts were 'sweet lambic.' However, the funk comes next and is huge -- like wet pastry dough or fresh sirloin. When it's settled, I can pick up hints of brett -- it's definitely there -- but the nose isn't particularly sour. Interesting. Not bad, but not terribly inviting.

T: Here comes redemption: the taste is incredible but extremely restrained. The backbone is vinous, but not terribly acidic or overbearing. Then suddenly flavors of freshly mashed tart blackberries start to bleed through, leading to one of (if not) the cleanest finishes I've ever experienced. Finish is incredibly crisp, dry, but refined from the oak. The whole thing just works.

M: Medium bodied, crisp and a only a tad grainy; But the gentler flavors of this beer leave it feeling lighter, quenching.

D: I was honestly expecting something much more explosive, but what turned up in the is so much better (in my opinion). This has almost 7% alcohol? Yeah right. I could drink a keg of this. It's a home run. It tastes young, however. But that only means great things are in store for the years to come. I would seek this out (once these bottles run out =P ).

Overall, I believe this beer presents a compelling argument against the notion that a wild ale must be predictably pungent and puckering in sourness. I find it much more drinkable (and appreciable for a longer duration) than some of the other highly touted wilds. (1,793 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Great bubbly feel almost like a champagne followed sour sweetness of blackberries. Great nose, has all the sour characteristics that you hope for. Appearance is a nice orange amber with very little head retention and super clear. Definitely top 5 for me. (254 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Bottled: 01/26/12. 1200

Appearance. Ruby red with hints of plum.
Aroma: Brett, underwhelming
Taste: whoa ...hits hard with tartness, fruity, red wine, and oak in the middle with Brett and lactic cheek Puckering sourness on the dry finish.
Mouthfeel: thin
Overall: amazing balance, brett mainly in the nose, don't get much blackberries, but the wine barrel really came through. One of the best American wild ales I've ever had. (428 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

The beer was chilled ice cold to prevent gushers. The beer was allowed to warm up to a proper temperature. The beer was served in a snifter.

A- The body of the beer is a bright clear golden coloration with a tinge of red. The head was short lived and disappeared.

S- As mentioned I poured the beer way to cold and it smelled like an acetic mess. Allowing the beer to hit a proper temperature opened this bad girl up. Very satisfying lactic notes combine with berries, and tart cherry aromas plenty of oak in the backside.

T- Nice acitic and lactic notes combined with grapefruit, lemons, mixed berries and oak. The beer is very vinous and even a bit tannic at times. Nicely done!

M- The body of the beer is light and very refreshing carbonation is perfect.

O- This is a world class wild ale. The beers aromas and flavors are well done. I bought this beer for $13 and it was well worth it. I would snatch this off the shelf in favor of many other first rate wild ales. (974 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to chadquest for this one. 2012 vintage. Bottled on 1/26/12. Bomber poured into a Goose Island stemmed goblet.

A: Pours a deep reddish amber. Very transparent body with a finger of fizzy head that dissipates very quickly.

S: Rich, funky berries. Some oak, some red grapes, and a touch of vanilla. Smells incredibly funky.

T: And it tastes that way too. Tart, sour, and funky. The berries are present, but I think the red wine is more dominant. The tannins and oak come out on the back end. I am loving how all the flavors are playing off each other with this sour.

M: Light and effervescent. Perfect amount of carbonation and feels great sliding across the tongue.

O: This is a great sour. I love blackberries, and while I expected a stronger blackberry presence, I am actual happy that this beer is what it is. The flavors are well-balanced without a single dominant note (other than the funk). I love this, and I want more. (937 characters)

GLASS: Tulip
TEMP: Chilled to approx 40 degrees, allowed to warm to room temp after opening
VINTAGE: 2009 BOTTLED: AUG 14
Super Huge thanks to weatherdog for this one!

Oh, my! This is beautiful. It's a nice, mild copper colored liquid with a serious ruby/pink tint to it. The three-finger head of foam is very pink tinted and somewhat dense. Retention is very good. There isn't much lacing to speak of.

This is full of big notes of dark fruits, like a bold cab sauv should be. Decent hints of blackberry sweetness along with a good healthy dose of brett funk. Mild traces of oak.

Wow, this has such a great wine characteristic to it. This is amazing! Loads of fruit presence. Blackberries stand out ahead of the pack. Great funk presence from the brett yeast. Good hints of oak. Very mild spice presence.
This is exceptionally well-balanced. Not overly sweet, nor overly tart. The finish is dry, but not dryING.

This has a nice, medium body and a very high level of carbonation. It's as active as most champagnes are and that suits this extremely well. Very crisp, sharp and refreshing.

I believe that there would be no problem drinking this everyday. It's that damn drinkable.
Very excellently done, Goose Island! (1,219 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

A- very similar to Lolita, strong Amber color, very little lacing

S- Sour and oak combined with a hint of blackberry. Smell matches the taste, which is appreciated as it should be a precursor to the taste.

T- A cross between a wine and beer, fruit, and oak. Quite sour, but not overwhelmingly so. Sour taste vanishes well.

M- light bodied, slightly cleansing

O- A good sour beer. (384 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

An off white head jumps off to nearly two fingers and fades to a skim in nearly 3 minutes. Body is a hazy apple cider color in tone. Nose is distinctly tart with a real brett horse blanket feel up front. It has some raspberry and powdery sweet candy in the smell also. This beer immediately delivers on the super sour feel up front with a very brett induced tartness. This is very funky with a consistent mineral feel to the palate. Such a firm bold malt profile really balances the tartness to perfection. Mouthfeel is thick yeasty and really dough based and overall truely attractive. This is a perfectly drinkable sour that I wish I had a lot more of. (654 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a brown color with a ruby twinge and a slightly off white one finger head which recedes to skim and leaves little lacing. There is sticky carbonation bubbles on the side of the glass and the inside appears very carbonated. The aroma is wine like with blackberry and cherry notes very present along with a hint of white grape. The taste follows suit with a sour cherry flavor up front before a white grape wine taste takes over. The back end is all blackberries, well blended and a very good taste. The flavor leaves you wanting more. The mouthfeel is well carbonated and a bit stingy, almost like a champagne. Overall a very good beer, great aroma and flavor, I will seek this out again for sure. (702 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

Ack! Penalty! Yes, we have a gusher and around these parts we dock you points when you waste precious beer. As for the beer that DID make it into the glass, it's beautiful. Massive three fingers of pink-ish head is fed by a swarm of bubbles originating from a cloudy, rose-like body.

Almost overwhelming mustiness, but I like how it's softened by a sharp fruit tartness from underneath. Spicy, vinous phenols creep up from the backside. Layered and complex.

First off, the sour tartness is lovely and understated (perhaps too restrained?!). Soft yet bitter fruitiness deftly showcases the blackberries without bowling over the malt body. Funky, saison-like dryness lingers on for a nuanced, mature finish.

For such a monumental head, the carbonation is maintained masterfully. Never does the spritzy nature of the drink hurt the ability to taste the broad spectrum of flavors. The crisp acidity of this beer makes the a brilliant (if expensive) potential partner for an array of foods. This may be the finest thing to come out of Goose Island, which considering it's company (BCS, Matilda, Naughty Goose, et. al.) is quite an accomplishment. (1,144 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%

22oz bottle poured into my Matilda wine glass...Batch 1 - Bottled January 2009...

Pours a slightly hazy ruby/orange...pinkish, slightly rosy...one finger of soft-white head with a pink hue, dissipates very quickly. This beer did not experience any gushing or other over-carb issues...

Tart, tangy and acidic in the nose. Sour ripe fruits, nice berry presence and some great wild yeast funkiness...complex and beautiful, one of the better smelling sours I have ever experienced...

Taste follows the nose...nicely tart and sweet, good ripe berry flavor. Slightly funky, nice and woody and dry...Complex like the nose, different tastes emerging as I drink. Finishes dry and kind of spicy...

I like a my sours to be spritzy, this one sure is, but not at all over-carbonated like many others have experienced. Nice and bubbly, light bodied and tingly...refreshing...

Incredible beer from Goose Island. One of my favorite new beers over the last 1.5 years or so...hope none of the other bottles I have are over-carbed like so many say... (1,037 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bomber bought at Paddy Long's in Chicago; possibly the last bottle from the first batch in Chicago...Thanks Matt!

bottle poured into a Goose Island reserve glass. pours amber with fiery garnet mixed in, with a minimal head that leaves no lacings and has poor retention. very appealing in the glass.

aroma is lightly vinous with a distinct acidity and very light fruit notes; a distinct lack of sweetness overall. very pleasant in the nose with a wine-like character and a lightly dry overall feel. nicely composed.

taste follows the nose with a vinous sourness and light fruit notes of grape and some distant cherry. somewhat soft on the palate with a lightly acidic finish of residual grape-like sourness and a bit of residual fruity yeast. alive on the palate with supurb proportioning. solid.

mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly sharp at first with a vinous quality and a finish that is just sour enough to cleanse the palate.

drinkabliity is great. an easy going sour with a very palatable character. finishes lighly sharp with a soft aftertaste. very well put together and solid with a bit of aging. can't wait for the next batch to come out! cheers! (1,163 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This little sack of motherfuck was just sitting in Binny's and, well, I'm only human, susceptible to the hype the same as the rest of god's creatures.

Pours pretty fab for a wild, like a really nice framboise lambic. Fruit Rollup red with the prettiest pink head I ever have seen.

Smells damn near perfect sweet sour. Big yeast, funky sour, light tart fruits like cherries and tears.

Tastes as it smells, sour and playful. Faint upfront followed by pure sour, so strong you can't pick one flavor out from another, and that mellows out into fruit nodes with the sour hanging over them like sunshine or the spectre of death. Fruits are cherries, strawberries, raspberries, and apples. Pretty much anything red, and then after that there's a light breadiness. Very nice.

Wonderful. Maybe not quite worth what you pay for it, but still effin wonderful. (853 characters)

Juliet from Goose Island Beer Co.