2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Juliet - Goose Island Beer Co.

JulietJuliet

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

A rye beer aged in French oak (Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon) with blackberries and Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2008)
View: Beers (269) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,108 | Reviews: 317 | Show All Ratings:
Jmamay22

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beer pours a dark amber with a cloudy haze and no head. Very fizzy and lively carbonation. On the outer edges of the glass the beer fades from a darker amber to an almost golden hue. Smells tart with a hint of vinegar, but pleasingly so. Some vanilla and tannic oak qualities.

Tastes very sour, but not overwhelmingly so. Nicely balanced with a malt backbone. Just the slightest hint of blackberry, but comes off as fruity rather than a strong blackberry tone. Slightly tannic with a nice puckering finish. Refrains from being overwhelmingly sour that makes it much more approachable than some of the more difficult sour beers. Mouthfeel is very lively and highly carbonated with a warming finish.

Excellent sour or wild ale that gives strong Belgian impression and matches many of the better belgian wild and sour ales. Very recommended and glad I purchased a second for cellaring.

12-31-2013 22:55:32 | More by Jmamay22
kojevergas

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

765ml brown glass bottle with classily sparse label and purple foil-ed over branded black/silver pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local CO bottle shop for ~$30.00 USD and served into a Belgian Independence Day stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. 8% ABV confirmed per the label. Bottled: 01 Aug 2013. Reviewed as the style it identifies as: "Belgian style wild ale."

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of white colour and intense effervescent fizziness which recedes inside 10 seconds, leaving no lacing. Carbonation is very active to the extent that it's reminiscent of champagne.

Body colour is a semitransparent translucent pink with orange hues. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible. Average vibrance. Unfortunately, it's a bit weak looking - almost watery. I'm concerned but optimistic.

Appearance is consistent with the conventions of a wild ale.

Sm: Has a nice lactic sourness over pleasant bursts of bright wild berries and slightly tart fruit. I don't find the blackberry per se, but I could see raspberry. It's hard to find the Belgian yeast in there too; I don't doubt that there's a souring yeast strain or two, but most of the sourness feels bacterial. I do pick up subtle wine notes as well as ample white grapeskin. It's a biteen floral, but not in a hop-derived sense. Any malt foundation is hidden beneath the guiding sourness.

No alcohol or other off-notes are detectable. A pleasant aroma of mild to moderate strength. It doesn't seem as acidic as many sours.

T: Wonderful bursts of tart berry and fruity grapeskin blend beautifully with a guiding prominent lactic sourness - which is very bacterial yet still clean. There's some very buried complementary floral hop character which adds a bit of complexity. The malt bill - which I assume is mainly Belgian pale malts alongside clean barley - is completely obscured by the sourness. Notes of wine - white, red, rose, I can't quite tell - play well with the acidic sourness. I don't find any tannins. There's no oak or wood barrel notes per se, but I like what's present. The barrel aging certainly did the flavour profile well and has made a perceptible difference, which is more than I can say about a lot of beers.

Good depth and intensity of flavour. Above average duration of flavour; it's full and evocative but doesn't linger or carry much aftertaste. Good complexity and subtlety. It's not nuanced per se, nor is it particularly intricate, but here the balance is enough to impress. I'd call it a gestalt build; you couldn't take anything out without negatively affecting the overall flavour.

Mf: Crisp, clean, and near perfectly acidic, with a smacky almost puckering presence on the palate. Fizzy as hell with almost ideal carbonation. Good thickness and body for the style. The texture is certainly complementary of the taste to the extent that it almost feels custom-tailored specifically to it. Fantastic execution.

Not oily, harsh, astringent, gushed, hot, or boozy. None of the weakness of the appearance is manifested here.

Dr: Extremely drinkable in spite of its acidity. I could easily kill this bottle alone. This is about a 7 in terms of sourness, and will please the discerning drinker. If it wasn't so unreasonably priced I'd definitely buy it again. I'm hesitant to recommend it to friends - it isn't worth $30 - but I'm glad I got to try it once. I can see why it currently has a 95 rating, but I can't say it's world class per se. Just a damn good sour I'm really digging. Easily my favourite of the 4 Goose Island sisters.

A solid sour from Goose Island which is triple the price it should be.

B+

12-30-2013 06:46:03 | More by kojevergas
StoutHunter

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Goose Island's Juliet that my friend brought over to share with me, thanks Ben. I've been wanting to try this one for a while, I'm a big fan of this Belgian series from Goose Island and I expect good things from this beer, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on August 1st 2013. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's got that clean and fancy look to it that some expensive wines have, no fancy marketing to grab your attention, it's simple and straight to the point, I like it. It poured a dark ruby color similar to a red grape and it took on more of a brighter ruby hue when held to the light with just a thick ring of bubbly head that quickly disappeared and it left just a slight bit of spotty lacing at first. This was a nice looking beer, the color was really great looking, but the head, lacing, and retention were weak and that made it look fairly wine like.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a higher amount of tartness that is the first to show up and it's just about as close as it could get to being sour, there's a real slight brett and farmhouse like aroma, but it seems like all that tartness covers most of it up. Up next comes some nice fruity aromas, there's some green apples and wine grape like aromsa with the blackberrys seeming to stick out the most, but not by much. Towards the end comes a slight wine like aroma with maybe a slight bit of barrel showing up. The aroma is very nice,it had a fair amount of complexity with lots of tart and fruity aromas with just enough funk.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma but even a little more intense and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lot of tartness that bordered on being sour. it isn't overly acidic and it almost reminds me of some sour candy. Up next comes a real light brett flavor with a lighter amount of that typical farmhouse flavors that goes straight into a great fruity flavor with all those fruits I got in the aroma showing up nicely and the blackberry still sticks out just enough to be identifiable. Towards the end comes a little bit of that wine barrel with some light wine and a real slight barrel flavor with some more lingering mouth puckering tartness with some fruity flavors in the background. This was a great tasting beer, I have no complaints at all.

M- Pretty smooth for how tart it was, I never waited long to go back for another taste of it, clean, very tart, crisp, dry, acidic, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that bordered on being on the highly carbonated side. The mouthfeel was very good.

Overall I thought this was a great beer and a very good example of the style, so far it's the best American Wild Ale I have ever had, it took this style to a whole new level for me and I never thought that loads of tartness could work that well in a beer, it really changed the way that I look at this style. This beer had good drinkability, for as tart and sour as it is, it still goes down smooth and it was dry, clean, crisp, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, but I would have a hard time limiting myself to just one glass since I think any more then that and it would just be too acidic for me, but I think it's a great beer to split with one or two other people. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the high level of tartness worked with this beer, it blew my mind. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, I thought the color was great, but unfortunately the head and lacing didn't match that and it ended up looking fairly wine like. I would for sure buy this beer again if I ever saw it, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a few bottles and see how it changes over time and for $12 I think this is a bargain. I highly recommend this to people who are a fan of the style and even to people who are just starting to get familiar with the style, like me. All in all I was very impressed with this beer, I didn't know I could like an American Wile Ale this much but somehow Goose Island managed to show me how good this style can actually be and they are quickly gaining my respect by producing these incredible American Wild Ales and Belgian inspired beers. Escoffier was my favorite American Wild Ale, but now it is Juliet. Great job guys this is now my favorite Goose Island beer and now I really want to try the remaining sisters that I have yet to get a hold of, thanks for the experience.

12-29-2013 23:16:14 | More by StoutHunter
spoony

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 765 ml bottle (bottled August 1, 2013) into a tulip.

A-The brew has a thin, soda-like head that fades quickly into nothing. It is pink-tinted and sort-of cognac-colored. It is mostly clear and still-looking in the glass.

S-The aroma is very tart, verging on sour. I get a vinous mixture of green apple tartness, raspberry, dry oak, and a bit of peppery rye spice. There is very little funkiness here. This is one of the most vinous beers I have sniffed.

T-The taste is also quite tart. There is lots of dry, tannic oak, some tart raspberry, and a bit of green apple. The sour flavors are nicely complimented by a rye spice and a little bit of caramel-like malt flavor that tamp down the pucker factor just a bit.

M-The feel is medium body with a dry, crisp carbonation that fits the flavors well. It drinks easily for the level of sourness.

O-This is probably my favorite of the Goose Island sisters. I find it complex, very vinous, pleasantly sour and well-matched with food. The flavors aren't very distinct (or I just can't describe them well), but I know that I like this beer quite a lot. It is probably too expensive, but I found myself thinking about buying another bottle after drinking this one on Christmas.

12-27-2013 04:43:01 | More by spoony
gatornation

4.14/5  rDev -2.6%

2012 vintage bottled on 01/26/12

A- pours a light ruby copper color with a thin whispey head with a sustained collar thru=out
S- wine and oak with tart fruit barnyard funk musty earthy scents
T- tart and acidic up front with sour fruit that is mellowed out with red wine and blackberry dark fruits notes of oak and spice
M-Tart and acidic with a great blend of fruit and brett nice finish with spice
O - a great wild ale with berry and wine flavors

12-24-2013 23:37:31 | More by gatornation
nataku00

Bottle, 2013 release, poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a slightly hazy burnt orange with some reddish hues with no head. Plenty of fine champagne like carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass.

Nose is red grape, vinous with grape skin tannin astringency, red berries, oak, light brown sugar.

Taste is vinous, sweet grape with grape skin tannin, black berry flavor, tart and slightly sweet, red wine soaked oak. Medium finish with lactic acidity with red berry lingering on the tongue.

Medium body, tingly and ample carbonation on the tongue.

12-13-2013 03:11:52 | More by nataku00
PsilohsaiBiN

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 765ml bottle

I usually make it a point to go into detail while reviewing. I just don't have that kind of time right now.

That said, I will say this. I don't really like red wine, and thus don't really like red wine barrel aged beers. However, this beer has a nice balance; perhaps, the best combination of sourness and red wine influence I've had in a beer.

Funk, sourness, and just a little red wine. I'm surprised that I actually like it.

I'm rating this just above outstanding because: 1. It made me enjoy a beer with an element that I usually don't and: 2. It's balanced, with not too much red wine character and very drinkable. Would definitely drink again. Sometimes less is more, and that's why this beer wins for me.

12-05-2013 04:15:27 | More by PsilohsaiBiN
draheim

Washington

4.11/5  rDev -3.3%

765mL (bottled 8/1/2013) into a tulip. Pours a clear amber w/ a minimal head that quickly settles to a thin film, and then nothing at all. Moderate carbonation.

Aroma is bready and tart, oaky. Reminds me a little bit of Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Taste is puckerlingly sour, oaky. Strong lactic acidity is well-balanced by a nice sweetness. Just a touch of crushed aspirin.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, crisp and dry.

Overall a pretty good wild ale, as mentioned above comparable to Rodenbach or maybe The Dissident. But at about twice the price, probably not worth coming back to.

12-03-2013 02:36:13 | More by draheim
rodlavers

4.01/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

08/01/13 large format bottle poured into a snifter for tasting. Minimal head dissipates pretty quickly. Opaque ruby color, no lacing or cling. Dark fruit aromas but super tart. More of a specific, dark berry, flavor, and also very tart, but not too sour. Feels smooth up front, but dry and highly carbonated in the middle/end. Berry/tart aftertaste. Overall, really good beer. Super unique and interesting; really enjoy what Goose Island has done here. Cheers.

11-30-2013 20:32:08 | More by rodlavers
MarkJBurch

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 Vintage. Poured into Goose Island stemware after leaving the beer out on the counter to warm for awhile. Cloudy, reddish-orange, amber haze. No head formation, just loud fizzy bubbles that dissipate rapidly.

The nose is absolutely wonderful, mouth watering even. Sweet fruit, lactic acid, vinous, slight earthy grassy funk, oak.

The initial sip might make you pucker. Rye bite, sweet, tart with no defined fruit flavor. Light tannin and wood, dry finish. No strong yeast characteristics, bacteria dominates throughout, sour but with little funk.

A somewhat subdued effervescence, Juliet is refreshing and light bodied. Carbonation works well with other aspects of this beer.

Should another bottle come into my possession I would probably cellar it for at least a year or two to allow for further evolution of flavor, especially in regards to brettanomyces or any wild yeast. As it stands this is a nice enough beer to consume fresh and in my opinion worth a try.

11-24-2013 23:19:45 | More by MarkJBurch
gr0g

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Orangey-amber color with a quickly disappearing head. Very hazy, opaque. Some lacto sourness at first on the nose, followed by mustiness from the Brett. Plenty of ripe and tart fruit. Kind of a candy note, like Smarties. Really nice aroma thanks to the blend of funk and fruit.

Sourness hits upfront, and it's moderate by my tastes. Not puckering. Underlying complexity is good, with contributions from both wood and fruit. Not really any blackberry flavor, but blackberry doesn't really have much of a distinctive flavor. Somewhat tannic. Tart, unripe stone fruit. While it might appear undercarbonated, there's plenty of fizz on the tongue. Light and slick otherwise.

As someone who's still more of an appreciator rather than lover of sours, I quite liked this. Great aroma, great complexity.

11-24-2013 01:28:18 | More by gr0g
Gruber221

4.19/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Juliet is another fine sour. It pours amber in color with an acidic scent, laced with tart fruits and lots of red wine.

The taste as you would imagine starts out pretty sour but disaptes quickly to spice and red wine. Its a delicious beer!!

Thanks to Railroad Street Bar and Grill in Limerick PA for hooking me up. If you are in the Area they have a limited amount in bottles available.

11-19-2013 18:58:11 | More by Gruber221
artoolemomo

Oregon

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Pours up a sliver of head which quickly dissipates. The head was a mostly pure white color while the body is a blend of medium to dark amber, maroon, and light raspberry which appears as a mix of light peach and medium amber when held up to the light. The body does not appear to be translucent.

Nose- Strong notes of acetic acid followed by strong and tart fruits. I feel like I describe the same aromas for almost all sours but here goes: strong tart cherry followed by some apple, strong berry flavors but nothing that I would specifically describe as blackberries, and light hint of funk and straw. I'm sure the slight note of Brett would be stronger if this had had more time to age. Swirling reveals a note close to Froot Loops or other fruity cereals.

Taste- Starts off with the strong tart notes of the nose and builds on that. Does seem to mellow out quickly (I'm judging this to be an effect of being aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels) and shows red grape (the full cherry and berry, fleshy grapes and slight leather of a Cabernet Sauvingon) and then leads in to small hints of grass, funk, and straw. I'm not sure if this is caused by its freshness but this seems to be a much more accessible sour than most. It also may mean my palate has become even more accustom to them. A faint wheat quality that I think might be caused by the rye but none of the spiciness (as of yet) that I equate with rye beers. Not surprising that this is pretty vinous. It's pretty airy as well (which I appreciate) but I would like more funk. I imagine this would come with more age. Notes of berries around the edges, perhaps even some that I would identify as blackberry but this is where my palate gets confused and why I don't think I could ever be an effective wine tester. What I do know is that this is a damn fine beer. It is quite delicate even despite a good amount of presence. It's not quite Cantillon or Russian River quality but it's close. Straw and grass notes show themselves more and more and I do think I will have to get another bottle to age. It's not worth the 30 bucks everybody else was charging but seems fair at 17 bucks. Slight hints of oak and spice (rye spice) linger on the tongue after a few drinks.

Mouthfeel- Not quite as airy as some of the Cantillon I've had but gets closer than most of the top notch sours I've had. A little more than light bodied with healthy carbonation. Good effervescence. Flirts with being airy. Nice dry finish.

Drinkability- Pretty damn good for a sour. Right now, I'm drinking this pretty quickly and sours tend to slow me down. I wouldn't pay 30 bucks but I'm going to get more if this is still 17 bucks.

Overall- Very good beer. I don't like to drink InBev but when I do, it's Goose Island's premier beers. Worth a try if 30 bucks doesn't bother you. If you find it for as cheap as I did, grab it.

11-14-2013 04:33:17 | More by artoolemomo
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

765ml bottle; 2013 bottle cap. Split with Regen today, 11/6/2013. Poured into a Perfect Pint glass.

Appears fairly bland- dark hazy red body reminding me of a flanders red. Comes with a small white head that disappears almost immediately. No lacing sticks around at any point.

Smells nice and acidic. Some lactic and vinegar.. quite nice. It is a substantial body, very tannic and earthy. Not really fruity here.

Flavour-wise, fairly strong on the barrel character. Lots of red wine tannins and oak. Some lactic character, fairly sour. Can't really tell there are blackberries here; it is fairly subtle. Didn't know this was a rye beer at all.

Wish this had a bit more carbonation. Medium bodied, a bit boozy but not terribly so. Aftertaste is mostly tannins.

Interesting GI sour. Not the best sour by any means, but its not bad. Wish this has a cleaner, lighter flavour and mouthfeel like the Belgians do. This is a bit heavy-handed, but this is GI after all.

11-07-2013 04:56:57 | More by Stevedore
Jonada

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

765 ml bottle 2013 vintage. Bottled on August 1st 2013. Served in a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a dark red-ish orange color along with a slight purple hue. What little head there was in the pour dissipated instantly, almost like a soda leaving no cap, collar or lace. Body is hazy with some very fine visible carbonation streaming throughout the glass.

Smell: First thing I'm noticing right away is a big lactic sour character. After that it's blackberry, leather, oak, red wine grape, as well as a general red berry character that I can't quite pinpoint exactly.

Taste: Follows the nose pretty closely with an intense lacto character, almost yogurt like, being most prominent. There's quite a bit of barrel character as well with notes of oak and bold red wine flavors along with leather and maybe a hint of tobacco.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with low medium levels of fine carbonation. Sourness, while not enamel stripping, is relatively high. Alcohol is hidden well through the finish leaving only a gentile warming sensation in the back of the throat.

Overall: Another good one from Goose Island. I'd like to see them tone down the lactic character a bit, as it detracted a bit from some of the the other complexities of the beer, but not so much so that it wasn't still enjoyable. Worth picking up if you find it reasonably priced.

11-04-2013 03:54:14 | More by Jonada
mfnmbvp

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

765 ml bottle (1 pint 9.87 fl oz.) with bottled on date August 02, 2013 printed on the back label. My first encounter with a bottle of Goose Island Juliet; expectations are moderately high based on my experience with the others.

Poured into an over-sized wine glass.

A - Pours an interesting pinkish-purple orange color with about two fingers of quickly dissolving beige bubbles for a head. No lacing. Looks like a nice glass of juice.

S - Smell of blackberries hit me as soon as I uncapped this. Tart berry juice, cranberry, mild alcohol notes, soft cold leather, and a hint of barnyard funkiness. Maybe not quite as powerful smelling as the other sisters, but still very nice.

T - Delicious. Tart berry juice, apples, lactic acidity, some red / white wine, bit of alcohol presence, and some mild funky yeast. Not really detecting any rye in the taste, but that is fine by me. There is just a hint of heat on the finish, so maybe that's where the rye comes into play.

M - Feel is tart and sour, but finishes mostly clean, with a bit of juiciness lingering behind.

Overall, another nice beer from Goose Island. Definitely glad I managed to get a bottle of this; I suppose it was well-worth the twenty dollars spent. Tastes a bit more like wine than the others did, but maybe I am imagining it. Recommended.

Goose Island Juliet ---4/5.

11-03-2013 00:32:39 | More by mfnmbvp
Chico1985

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Jan. 2012 bottle shared by Cam at a tasting a few nights ago. Thanks Cam!

The pour was hazy dark pink/purplish with no head, nice color though. Scent is enticing, it's all about dem tart fruits, tartness being on the lower side of the spectrum. Lots of berries, red grapes, and wine.

Taste is an improvement, really great blackberry and red wine flavor going on along with lactic notes, vanilla and light oak. Good tartness and some funk but it's the fruit that really shines here. Carbonation and overall feel is light, most likely has dissipated some, but the lightness works well here. Also very drinkable for 8%.

Nice berry and wine flavors with leveled out tartness. Not sure how this would continue to age but quite good at this point.

10-07-2013 22:18:52 | More by Chico1985
cbutova

4.14/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

01-26-12 bottle split with some good people.

A- Pint glass pour with a murky, apple-cider looking appearance, a dark golden-amber. Fizzy head forms to about a finger but dies almost immediately with no retention. Falls to nothing looking like, cider. No lacing in sight.

S- Super tart fruits and apples are big and it actually reminds me of what it looks like, fresh market bought apple cider. Sour lemons, berries, Brett barnyard funk and tarts, grapes and wine are big.

T- Brett funk and barnyard comes through pretty big up front with even some slight band-aid. Really sour fresh lemon juice is present throughout the whole flavor and maybe the biggest part for me. Big wine barrel and vinous grapes, oak, berries, super tart lactic yogurt. Black berry flavor gets superb with time, like fresh with sour yogurt for breakfast.

MF- Super dried out body with a moderate overall consistency with some oily feel. Carbonation on the low-medium side and not much creaminess, somewhere on the watery side. Super tart and sour lemon finish.

Tons of fruit flavors and huge lactic sourness, super wild feel. Very enjoyable and hoping that GI can produce more beers like this in the future.

10-05-2013 01:34:18 | More by cbutova
Dope

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

2010 batch, 12/11/10 no1149.

A: Super dark ruby red pour. Small soda-like tan head that fizzes out almost instantly. Almost no retention and no lacing at all.

S: A nice sweet and sour raspberry aroma. A little bit of acetone. Pleasant.

T: More sweet and sour. Reminds me of a raspberry pucker. Soft velvety berries and then a sudden sharp twang of sourness. Kind of an astringent tartness leading into the finish with hints of vinegar and acetone. Almost leathery too. Really quite nice. Lonnnng lingering tartness between sips.

M: Medium bodied and astringent.

O: Very interesting sour. A bit of balanced sweet and sour up front but turns into a drawn out acetic tartness. Great berry flavor throughout. One the best sours I've had. Very flavorful. Almost a little too tart but I'm still a beginner.

09-13-2013 01:46:58 | More by Dope
oN3xM

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle reads "Belgium style ale aged in wine barrels with blackberries". Bottle date 1/26/12. Drank on 8/3/13.

A - An orangey, auburn body with a very light head that dissipates quickly. Very foggy - no transparency and no sediment after pouring the entire bottle. Very effervescent.

S - The initial aroma reminds me of a tart candy - sweet and tart. We poured it into two glasses and the glass that got the final pour smells musty (yes, almost like cat pee) while the other glass is much more clean. Probably the yeast sediments at the end of the pour.

T - Even before you drink this beer, you know it's a sour. Goose Island has crafted a lovely blend of tart and sweetness in this beer. Initial tastes have a hint of grape notes (assumingly from the wine barrels) followed by a lemony, acidic taste at the end.

M - Lovely thin body with insane amounts of carbonation that pop off your tongue. Lots of sourness that settles in your mouth and burns your throat after swallowing.

O - I've had a number of sours, but this is one that I'm ranking highly. I love the blend of sourness and sweetness that makes this beer. Goose Island did a terrific job with this one. If the price wasn't so high (paid $20 for 22 oz) I would be picking up more now. Cheers.

08-03-2013 21:40:14 | More by oN3xM
Onenote81

4.41/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to enelson for hooking me up with this one awhile back.

Vintage 2010.

Poured this one into a tulip glass. Pours a rusty-color, with a thick bubbly head that fizzles away audibly. Light pinkish hue to the cap. Nose is tart and funky. Some citrus, dankness, vinegar. The nose held up well.

Easy feel. Plenty of carbonation, but nothing astringent. Crisp and refreshing. The flavor profile on this one keeps me gulping. Tart blackberry, lemon, lactic character, oaky dryness. Fruity finish from the barreling for sure. This beer disappeared quickly. Loved it. Thanks again, Ed!

06-18-2013 16:17:30 | More by Onenote81
caskstrength

3.08/5  rDev -27.5%

2012 bottle. No need to keep this one in the cellar any longer.

Pours a beautiful golden amber, well carbonated.

S :Funky lactic acid. Not overwhelming, but not much else than funky lactic acid. I know sours are often about funk, and acid, but give me something else here. Maybe some lemon/grass if I force myself to find it.

T: Pretty one note. Lactic sourness, not enamel peeling ,but it's by far the dominant flavor. Some lemon juice (damnit, that's lactic acid). I don't know what else to tell you.

M: light, dry. sour. Above average for the style.

O: Not that interesting. Minimal depth or complexity. Nothing to seek out.

05-21-2013 00:28:58 | More by caskstrength
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Received in trade from ajzy, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a lightly hazy deep golden color with a huge fluffy bone white head that that dissipates as quickly as the bubbles in a glass of ginger ale. Tart and funky fruit dominate the aroma here. Lemons, cherries, and berries with lots of lactic sourness and funk make up most of the nose with hints of brown sugar deep in the background. The flavor puckers your face up front with lemons and tart cherries. Light brown sugar malt sneaks in before the citric return and burns a hole deep into your nether region. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a slick tart puckering mouthfeel. Nice American wild, I'm glad I got to try it.

05-18-2013 01:33:12 | More by johnnnniee
scottfrie

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle into tulip. Bottled 1/26/12. Thanks again, jbck109.

A: Pours a ruby cranberry color with a very short lived fizzy white head faded into faint active collar.
S: Very dry and funky barrel notes of musty cheese, oak tannins, dank basement and a hint of vinous fruit.
T: Tart notes of vinous wine barrel, oak tannin, earthy funk, tart lemon pith, and light blackberry juice. Fruit is light and comes through mostly in the finish after the initial citrus onslaught. Mild cheese, gritty tannins and spicy rye. Cranberry too.
M: Dry mouth, champagne carbonation, very tart, mild acid, dry gritty tannins.
O: Very tart, dry and flavorful. Really well rounded and enjoyable. Loved it. Cheers, Jay.

05-08-2013 02:04:25 | More by scottfrie
Goblinmunkey7

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle. Split with angrybabboon and bilco.

Appearance: Ruddy copper. Some orange-hues. Small white head drops to nothing and leaves a tiny white collar. No lacing. Moderate carbonation on the pour.

Smell: Nice hint of oak over a powdery tartness. Some blackberry flesh and juice. Sweet juiciness. Damp earth. Hay and slight woodiness. Lactic and acetic sour notes. Floral. Light sweet malt backbone. Warming pushes up the blackberry notes offering some fresh fruit. Slightly vinous. Grape must.

Taste: Balance of earth and damp wood. Oak and blackberry flesh. Solid lactic tartness on the back with some acetic flavors in the back. Bright fruitiness. Floral, almost perfume. Loaded with oak and tart fruit. Macerated blackberry flesh. White wine and grape. Building acetic as it warms, almost vinegar. Sweet and tart. Warming pushes even more oak and blackberry.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation. Slightly dry medium body. Clean. Wet overall but not juicy.

Overall: Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art though Romeo.

Tart and delightful. Good balance of fruit and tart magic.

05-04-2013 23:52:30 | More by Goblinmunkey7
Juliet from Goose Island Beer Co.