Juliet - Goose Island Beer Co.

JulietJuliet

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

A rye beer aged in French oak (Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon) with blackberries and Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2008)
Jmamay22

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%

Beer pours a dark amber with a cloudy haze and no head. Very fizzy and lively carbonation. On the outer edges of the glass the beer fades from a darker amber to an almost golden hue. Smells tart with a hint of vinegar, but pleasingly so. Some vanilla and tannic oak qualities.

Tastes very sour, but not overwhelmingly so. Nicely balanced with a malt backbone. Just the slightest hint of blackberry, but comes off as fruity rather than a strong blackberry tone. Slightly tannic with a nice puckering finish. Refrains from being overwhelmingly sour that makes it much more approachable than some of the more difficult sour beers. Mouthfeel is very lively and highly carbonated with a warming finish.

Excellent sour or wild ale that gives strong Belgian impression and matches many of the better belgian wild and sour ales. Very recommended and glad I purchased a second for cellaring.

12-31-2013 22:55:32 | More by Jmamay22
david18

12-30-2013 16:03:47 | More by david18
kojevergas

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

765ml brown glass bottle with classily sparse label and purple foil-ed over branded black/silver pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local CO bottle shop for ~$30.00 USD and served into a Belgian Independence Day stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. 8% ABV confirmed per the label. Bottled: 01 Aug 2013. Reviewed as the style it identifies as: "Belgian style wild ale."

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of white colour and intense effervescent fizziness which recedes inside 10 seconds, leaving no lacing. Carbonation is very active to the extent that it's reminiscent of champagne.

Body colour is a semitransparent translucent pink with orange hues. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible. Average vibrance. Unfortunately, it's a bit weak looking - almost watery. I'm concerned but optimistic.

Appearance is consistent with the conventions of a wild ale.

Sm: Has a nice lactic sourness over pleasant bursts of bright wild berries and slightly tart fruit. I don't find the blackberry per se, but I could see raspberry. It's hard to find the Belgian yeast in there too; I don't doubt that there's a souring yeast strain or two, but most of the sourness feels bacterial. I do pick up subtle wine notes as well as ample white grapeskin. It's a biteen floral, but not in a hop-derived sense. Any malt foundation is hidden beneath the guiding sourness.

No alcohol or other off-notes are detectable. A pleasant aroma of mild to moderate strength. It doesn't seem as acidic as many sours.

T: Wonderful bursts of tart berry and fruity grapeskin blend beautifully with a guiding prominent lactic sourness - which is very bacterial yet still clean. There's some very buried complementary floral hop character which adds a bit of complexity. The malt bill - which I assume is mainly Belgian pale malts alongside clean barley - is completely obscured by the sourness. Notes of wine - white, red, rose, I can't quite tell - play well with the acidic sourness. I don't find any tannins. There's no oak or wood barrel notes per se, but I like what's present. The barrel aging certainly did the flavour profile well and has made a perceptible difference, which is more than I can say about a lot of beers.

Good depth and intensity of flavour. Above average duration of flavour; it's full and evocative but doesn't linger or carry much aftertaste. Good complexity and subtlety. It's not nuanced per se, nor is it particularly intricate, but here the balance is enough to impress. I'd call it a gestalt build; you couldn't take anything out without negatively affecting the overall flavour.

Mf: Crisp, clean, and near perfectly acidic, with a smacky almost puckering presence on the palate. Fizzy as hell with almost ideal carbonation. Good thickness and body for the style. The texture is certainly complementary of the taste to the extent that it almost feels custom-tailored specifically to it. Fantastic execution.

Not oily, harsh, astringent, gushed, hot, or boozy. None of the weakness of the appearance is manifested here.

Dr: Extremely drinkable in spite of its acidity. I could easily kill this bottle alone. This is about a 7 in terms of sourness, and will please the discerning drinker. If it wasn't so unreasonably priced I'd definitely buy it again. I'm hesitant to recommend it to friends - it isn't worth $30 - but I'm glad I got to try it once. I can see why it currently has a 95 rating, but I can't say it's world class per se. Just a damn good sour I'm really digging. Easily my favourite of the 4 Goose Island sisters.

A solid sour from Goose Island which is triple the price it should be.

B+

12-30-2013 06:46:03 | More by kojevergas
StoutHunter

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

I got a bottle of Goose Island's Juliet that my friend brought over to share with me, thanks Ben. I've been wanting to try this one for a while, I'm a big fan of this Belgian series from Goose Island and I expect good things from this beer, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on August 1st 2013. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's got that clean and fancy look to it that some expensive wines have, no fancy marketing to grab your attention, it's simple and straight to the point, I like it. It poured a dark ruby color similar to a red grape and it took on more of a brighter ruby hue when held to the light with just a thick ring of bubbly head that quickly disappeared and it left just a slight bit of spotty lacing at first. This was a nice looking beer, the color was really great looking, but the head, lacing, and retention were weak and that made it look fairly wine like.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a higher amount of tartness that is the first to show up and it's just about as close as it could get to being sour, there's a real slight brett and farmhouse like aroma, but it seems like all that tartness covers most of it up. Up next comes some nice fruity aromas, there's some green apples and wine grape like aromsa with the blackberrys seeming to stick out the most, but not by much. Towards the end comes a slight wine like aroma with maybe a slight bit of barrel showing up. The aroma is very nice,it had a fair amount of complexity with lots of tart and fruity aromas with just enough funk.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma but even a little more intense and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lot of tartness that bordered on being sour. it isn't overly acidic and it almost reminds me of some sour candy. Up next comes a real light brett flavor with a lighter amount of that typical farmhouse flavors that goes straight into a great fruity flavor with all those fruits I got in the aroma showing up nicely and the blackberry still sticks out just enough to be identifiable. Towards the end comes a little bit of that wine barrel with some light wine and a real slight barrel flavor with some more lingering mouth puckering tartness with some fruity flavors in the background. This was a great tasting beer, I have no complaints at all.

M- Pretty smooth for how tart it was, I never waited long to go back for another taste of it, clean, very tart, crisp, dry, acidic, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that bordered on being on the highly carbonated side. The mouthfeel was very good.

Overall I thought this was a great beer and a very good example of the style, so far it's the best American Wild Ale I have ever had, it took this style to a whole new level for me and I never thought that loads of tartness could work that well in a beer, it really changed the way that I look at this style. This beer had good drinkability, for as tart and sour as it is, it still goes down smooth and it was dry, clean, crisp, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, but I would have a hard time limiting myself to just one glass since I think any more then that and it would just be too acidic for me, but I think it's a great beer to split with one or two other people. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the high level of tartness worked with this beer, it blew my mind. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, I thought the color was great, but unfortunately the head and lacing didn't match that and it ended up looking fairly wine like. I would for sure buy this beer again if I ever saw it, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a few bottles and see how it changes over time and for $12 I think this is a bargain. I highly recommend this to people who are a fan of the style and even to people who are just starting to get familiar with the style, like me. All in all I was very impressed with this beer, I didn't know I could like an American Wile Ale this much but somehow Goose Island managed to show me how good this style can actually be and they are quickly gaining my respect by producing these incredible American Wild Ales and Belgian inspired beers. Escoffier was my favorite American Wild Ale, but now it is Juliet. Great job guys this is now my favorite Goose Island beer and now I really want to try the remaining sisters that I have yet to get a hold of, thanks for the experience.

12-29-2013 23:16:14 | More by StoutHunter

12-27-2013 20:28:04 | More by wtkphoto
spoony

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

From a 765 ml bottle (bottled August 1, 2013) into a tulip.

A-The brew has a thin, soda-like head that fades quickly into nothing. It is pink-tinted and sort-of cognac-colored. It is mostly clear and still-looking in the glass.

S-The aroma is very tart, verging on sour. I get a vinous mixture of green apple tartness, raspberry, dry oak, and a bit of peppery rye spice. There is very little funkiness here. This is one of the most vinous beers I have sniffed.

T-The taste is also quite tart. There is lots of dry, tannic oak, some tart raspberry, and a bit of green apple. The sour flavors are nicely complimented by a rye spice and a little bit of caramel-like malt flavor that tamp down the pucker factor just a bit.

M-The feel is medium body with a dry, crisp carbonation that fits the flavors well. It drinks easily for the level of sourness.

O-This is probably my favorite of the Goose Island sisters. I find it complex, very vinous, pleasantly sour and well-matched with food. The flavors aren't very distinct (or I just can't describe them well), but I know that I like this beer quite a lot. It is probably too expensive, but I found myself thinking about buying another bottle after drinking this one on Christmas.

12-27-2013 04:43:01 | More by spoony

12-25-2013 17:02:58 | More by bostonryan
gatornation

4.14/5  rDev -2.6%

2012 vintage bottled on 01/26/12

A- pours a light ruby copper color with a thin whispey head with a sustained collar thru=out
S- wine and oak with tart fruit barnyard funk musty earthy scents
T- tart and acidic up front with sour fruit that is mellowed out with red wine and blackberry dark fruits notes of oak and spice
M-Tart and acidic with a great blend of fruit and brett nice finish with spice
O - a great wild ale with berry and wine flavors

12-24-2013 23:37:31 | More by gatornation

mrchrisray

12-17-2013 03:29:37 | More by mrchrisray
KVNBGRY

12-16-2013 14:33:42 | More by KVNBGRY
Juliet from Goose Island Beer Co.