Juliet - Goose Island Beer Co.

JulietJuliet

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

A rye beer aged in French oak (Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon) with blackberries and Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2008)
4.59/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 1-26-2012

Smell- Very oaky right away I pick up more a of a raspberry smell than blackberry.

Taste- Lip puckering, sour, tart, deliciousness right away. Lingering you get the oak from the barrel and again I get more raspberry.

Overall- I need to find more of this I would recommend this to anyone. I see a lot of reviews of other wild ales that say "not sour enough". This will for sure cure that need! This reminds me a lot of supplication, I give the slight edge to Juliet.

McRyan, Apr 05, 2014

Sparty55, Mar 26, 2014

Stum-pub, Mar 26, 2014
3.65/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle to beer-clean tulip. Drunk cool.

A - 4.0 - Beautiful, crystal clear, light cranberry color crossed with amber. Fizzy head that can never summon more than a thin blanket of coverage before fizzing itself out. I did an aggressive pour for the second glass and built up almost two fingers that still fizzed out in under 10 seconds. With a nicer head, this would have been a home run. But for clarity and beautiful color it still scores well enough.

S - 3.75 - A warm smell of mellow spice, fruit tang, the soul of fruit like a strawberry, and a clean sort of funk. Smells nice, with that bretty note tamed by fruit. A bit on the fainter side of the house.

T - 3.5 - While I know this is blackberry, I get more of a cran-apple out of it. It's tart like a milder cranberry juice but quickly transitions to a dry apple note. Finishes notably acidic. After that passes, the aftertaste is like a mix of tannic apple skin and oxidized apple flesh. It isn't particularly complex or rich or deep. Kind of simple. In its favor, I'll say the fruit notes combine with the tame funk in a nice way that almost gives a strawberry impression. That's an interesting balance. In the second pour, I intentionally included the sediment, hoping it would boost the flavor like it does with some beers, but it did a bad thing instead, introducing an overdone bitterness of an unpleasant kind. Ah well. This review is based on the first glass before that since that was my fault.

M - 3.75 - Light and thin body. A bit dry. Back in the salivary glands, it feels a bit like drinking cranberry juice. A quick and mild bit of spritz on swallowing.

O - 3.75 - Disappointing. I think I paid close to $20 for this and I sat on it for a few months until just the right opportunity for it. It wasn't worth it. I wonder if age would have deepened it any. It seemed kind of insubstantial, with its moderate tartness being its main distinguishing feature. Overall it came across like sparkling cran-apple cider, which I can get a lot cheaper and which isn't what I want when I want a beer, though I recognize that things like gueuzes come across this way on purpose. That makes it kind of hard to rate, because as a sparkling cran-apple cider, it's pretty good. But as a beer it falls short. My instinct was to drink this one colder than I usually drink my special beers, but I didn't want to risk numbing my palate so I did the usual slightly cool. Now I wish I had chilled it fully. I think I'd have enjoyed it more just as a refreshing cold drink since the taste didn't wow me or stand out.

For context, 3.75 on my personal scale is "better than average" while 3.5 is "average for craft" and 3.0 is "average for all". Beeradvocate has added "outstanding" next to 4.0 in the past year which for me means a lesser "very good".

BrownNut, Mar 24, 2014

Beersnake1, Mar 13, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

Smarty_Pints, Mar 12, 2014

Yeti1979, Mar 08, 2014
Juliet from Goose Island Beer Co.