Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Night Stalker - Goose Island Beer Co.

Night StalkerNight Stalker

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.70% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Night Stalker Alström Bros
Reviews: 739 | Hads: 1,781
1.12/5  rDev -72.8%

Was really hoping I got a good bottle. Did not happen as the smell was very much like the worst thing you could smell when expecting an imperial stout. While I cant fully explain what comes out in the aroma, the taste is all teriyaki and soy sauce. I contacted goose island with my bottle date and time stamp just so they could try and limit the people that wasted over 10 dollars on this and instead of letting me know that they were looking into this, they sent me a generic letter saying how they used different hops and it brought on a different taste from years past. They did not go on to explain why people who have tried multiple bottles from this years batch have tasted two really different beers. I would have felt better had they not emailed me a response back at all.

1.63/5  rDev -60.4%

I've had this enough times to make my decision on it now.

Night Stalker is the base beer for BCS so as expected it's black slightly viscous and is topped with a caramel head. This one carries a slightly larger head from the different hopping. Good start here but that's all it's got going for it.

The smell is a preview for this beer's trail of destruction. Coffee notes and a nutty/woodsy/Simcoe aroma blend together to create an extremely repulsive smell of cat excrement. Like you were gone all day at work and left your coffee at home from being in a hurry. But it's okay cause your cat took a big shit in it while you were gone. There's no getting around this for me. It's awful. I almost want to throw up in my glass and drink that instead. Underneath, there is pine and a little spiciness.

The taste is not as bad but follows along the same lines as the aroma. There's a prevalent nutty/woody flavor that almost imitates the oak that is missing from how this beer is usually produced. Oak is something that this particular stout needs. Textbook Simcoe flavors are coming through as well as freshly roasted coffee. It's sweet but seems to be battling the mess of flavors inside this beer. The sweetness never prevails. It's not really a hop bomb or anything, there is just too many things going on. Almost like you are drinking two beers at the same time and neither compliment or drink well together.

Luckily, I've been able to try this many times without having to buy a bottle. I think if I was drinking this on my own I would have to dump this. My stomach would thank me because it makes me feel like I'm going to have heartburn. I get a agitated, burning feeling even after a couple samples.

1.75/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Distinct and overwhelming soy and/or teriyaki profile in both the nose and body.

Bottled 11/19/2012 followed by the number sequence 1410.

Purchased a 22oz bomber. Poured into a large Duvel tulip.

Color was midnight black. Nice tan head. Thinner than expected mouthfeel.

Upon pouring there was an outstanding and overwhelming soy aroma. Hops and licorice in the background. Didn't notice chocolate. Any roast has been overwhelmed by the soy.

I thought and hoped the flavor profile would change as the beer warmed, but it did not. Alcohol bite showed up some more, but the flavor changed in no appreciable regard.

I can only assume this is an infected bottle. If not, it is the most unusual and poorly executed stout I've ever encountered. Reading other reviews, it sounds like what I consumed is way, way off. I can only assume it's infected/bad in some regard. I've had other stouts that were just "meh" and Night Stalker was entirely different. Didn't pick up sour or "funky" notes, just straight soy.

1.77/5  rDev -57%

split with newk340
a-black and fairly thick. tan head. fine bubbles dissipate to a tan ring. dense.

s-funky, strange, maybe cherries? didn't see this coming, possibly infected?

t-infected. cherries and heat. some maltiness. aftertaste is ok, but really it's foul to drink

m-thin and boozy

d- d is for drainpour. bad bottle. looking forward to getting a new one to update this. I've heard a lot of good things about this beer, so I look forward to having it taste like it's supposed to.

1.82/5  rDev -55.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

22oz bottle poured into a Deschutes Snifter. Been reading a thread on this site that is talking about a possible infection in these bottles. Who knows, lets see if it tastes good or not.
Bottled on 11/19/12. Going to guess that the 1324 is a time stamp.

A- Pours black as night with 2 fingers of mocha colored head that doesn't hang around too long but does leave some mild lacing.

S- Hmmm. Hoping that reading that thread did not sway my opinion, but this one definitely smells like soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. Man it really smells like somebody is cooking Asian food. Hoisin Sauce is in the mix also. There might be some pine needles underneath all those Asian sauces, but it is not front and center. Not sure how I feel about this, but I'll keep going.

T- Follows nose to the T. Wow, definitely an interesting beer. There is of course the overwhelming soy sauce flavor with out the salty kick, followed by the sweet flavors often found in Asian food. Hoisin comes to mind. Also the sauce on General Tso's Chicken comes to mind. Not all all getting any of the typical Imperial Stout qualities here. Just seems like a big mess of a beer.

M- Not near as silky and creamy an Imperial Stout should be. Moderate amount of carbonation.

O- Going into this with an open mind, and trying not to be tugged either way with the whole "infection" debate going on I don't think I'm impressed. Maybe they are infected, maybe they aren't, I can say this. I will not be buying another bottle of the 2012 version to find out. In no way do I see a comparison to the Bourbon County Brand Stout. It's hard to believe that this is the base beer. If there is no infection and this is what it is supposed to taste like I don't think that it would have the score on here that it does.

2.02/5  rDev -51%

Thanks to wedge42 for the bottle.
22oz, Duvel tulip

Nightstalker pours pitch black, one finger khaki head. Looks like a stout....A good start.

So this thing smells odd. Huge whiff of citrus hops, absolutely clashing with chocolate malt, coffee, and nuts. I don't get it, Im sniffing two different beers in one glass here. The melding of the two smell like something strange I cant really accurately describe. Ill reference to it as "crap".

The taste is pretty much what I expected from the aroma. Im getting that citrus up front again but the back end is all sugary coffee and chocolate malt. Its weird, clashing, a mess. I can understand hopping stouts for bitterness but this is just too bright up front for me. This is certainly "unique" as far as stouts go, but its just not for me.

This is the first GI offering I haven't liked. They are certainly still one of my favorite breweries and Ill continue to try whatever they come up with.

2.07/5  rDev -49.8%

Bottled: 19NOV12, reviewed 18DEC12

This is the freshest I've had this beer, and it's not a good thing. latest score based on latest bottle.... Pours black with a finger of nice mocha foam. Smells, like it's got sage, fruity pebbles, molasses and more sage and burnt rosemary (scorched). Nose is aberrant and sufferable. Taste is mostly dark malts, molasses, licorice, and bitter hops with some grapefruit. Medium bodied with moderated carb and a dry finish. This beer has waaay too many hops and is really dreadful right now.

on 14JUL11 - 3/3.5/4/4/4 - 3.85
Side by side of 2010 and 2011
2011: Pours a black ale with a transient mocha head which is less than a finger. This falls to nada leaving a slate surface. (3)
2010: Pours black ale with a single finger of mocha head which falls to a solid sheet of the same. No lacing. Clarity difficult to assess. (3)

2011: Smells hot, alcoholic. Hops are strong and resinous. Hints of roasty malts and a small molasses tone underneath. Man, I can't believe this has so many hops. Reminds me of Black Flag by Beer Valley. Lots of hops. (3.5)
2010: Alcohol is strong here. There are plenty of graham, malt, toasty tones with some prunes. A little bit of pepper on the nose. (3.5)

2011: Wow, the molasses is super strong on this. Plenty sweet with good hop presence, accented by some alcohol. The sweetness has some high quality quad tones to it: dark stone fruits, molasses, graham. (4)
2010: Rich and sweet. Molasses comes through even more than in the 2011. Graham crackers, brown sugar, licorice. This is super sweet. Not as sweet as Dark Lord, but sweet nonetheless. This would be great in the dead of winter. (4)

2011: Thick and chunky. Low carb. Long syrupy finish. (4)
2010: Viscous. Smooth with low carb. The finish is softly dry with a long velvet finish. (4.5)

2011: Good beer, wish the nose was a little more in line with the flavor profile. The alcohol seems a bit strong as well. (3.5)
2010: This is much better with a year on it. The alcohol has died down a bit and offered up a nice beer. (4)

2.2/5  rDev -46.6%

A: Pours pitch black with a finger's worth of milk chocolate foam that recedes quickly into a halo.

S: Candied dark fruit, slight caramel/toffee creaminess, with a finish of some potent hops, almost piny.

T: A mixture of dark fruit and hops blasts you at first, followed by an oak/wood chip smokiness in the middle, finished with a kind of scotch whiskey booziness. This flavor is totally unique, and I just can't bring myself to like it. I tried, but after more than half a glass, I have to drainpour.

M: Full, sticky, warms well, has a scotch whiskey sort of warming effect.

O: The more I sip, the more I try, the more I can't tolerate the weird taste. It's just too funky. That, coupled with Anheuser Busch taking over this brewery, I think I can forgo GI forever.

2.22/5  rDev -46.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Opaque black in color. The pour created a rather small mocha head and no lace.

A: I can't believe how hoppy this is. I thought I would be getting a nice toasty, roasted malt nose, but no, this was hops all the way. I typically like a hoppy nose, but not in my imperial stouts.

T: Gotta say, not much better in the taste. The hops overpower what should be a malt forward brew. Maybe over time the hops will fade and this will become drinkable, but it is far from that now. Some small roast does appear when the beer warms, but the bitterness is way to overpowering, and the alcohol is too prevalent.

M: Nice feel to this, pretty heavy body, good amount of carbonation. Really the only good thing about this beer.

O: Did not like this at all. Way to hop forward, way to bitter, not enough roast, not enough chocolate or sweet vanilla I have been acustomed to with imperial stouts. I hope to revisit this once it has some age on it, but as for now, it's going down the drain. Skal.

2.3/5  rDev -44.2%

Pitch black sticky light brown head. Looks like the head on a cream of muschroom soup, thick and solid.

A lot different nose than expected. Suprising amounts of tropical fruits from the hops. Roasted malt underneath, some coffee and chocolate. Lots of stuff coming at me.

The Fruity hop flavor doesn't come across as much on the nose which is good. Huge creamy mouthfeel, first taste that comes to mind is licorice. A strange thick malty sweetness up front, rich roasted character throughout. Hop bitterness through with bright fruits on the back end. Tastes like a candy bowl with chocolate covered fruit in it but in a bizarre way. Big bitterness but finishes semi sweet. Long tannic finish with flavors lingering for a while. not a great beer and definitely needs a hardy meal to accompany it.

Kind of gets perfumey, really hard to drink without food, feel like the hops and malts aren't exactly melding, plus there's an odd meaty, bloody, soap like taste underneath it all

2.3/5  rDev -44.2%

Now it all makes sense.

I bought this bottled last week at Whole Foods in Columbus Circle in NYC along with Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout and the a 4-pack of the amazingness that is Founders Breakfast Stout. I had seen that Night Stalker was highly-rated on this site. As I do with many beers, I purchased it with no pre-research so that my taste/opinions of the beer remain unbiased.

Had a ROUGH hump-day at work and decided: instead of a snack/desert, tonight was the night for 22 ounces of 11.5% alcohol deliciousness. I headed straight for the Night Stalker bottle in my foyer.

I popped it open and poured. Jet black. The head took a few seconds to form but once it did it looked lovely: dark tan 2 finger head with rising carbonation. Lacing and it receded at about the rate that you would expect from an imperial stout.

Here's where the trouble began: I took a big whiff of it. Oh boy. Oh no. My first though: it's just an extra hoppy stout. Smell again: oh no, this smells infected.

I tasted it: ugh. But this is not the worst infection ever. The booze does a good enough job of concealing it. But there remains little actual taste. It's basically just sour, alcohol, hops, and hints of what could be: malty earth and chocolate (maybe I just really need a beer).

I sign on to Beer Advocate: lo and behold there's a problem with my batch. This leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth ;)

2.34/5  rDev -43.2%

A-black stoutty look to it,brown collar

S-Cold very good hoppy flavor to it which i liked.As it warmed more of a alcohol smell.

T-Never experienced a AD/IS and thought it had more of a AD than a IS and was just not good.

M-it really just has way too much going on.Maybe that's how a AD/IS should fell ,but maybe not.Let me know what you think.

D-As a cold beer good,but as it warms way to harsh,didn't even wanna finish it.

2.36/5  rDev -42.7%

Poured 11.19.12 bottle into traditional pint glass. I've had Night Stalker before, albeit after a few beers, and wanted to give it a sober review with a cleansed palate.

A-What an average pour. The head wasn't quite as dark as you'd find on heavier stouts. Crept up and didn't hang around for too long till it dissipated and left a syrupy liquid underneath.

S-So much going on here to not be a little bias with infection rumors. With enough inhalation, you can begin to pick up the smokey malts I'm sure GI was shooting for. Unfortunately, they are quite hidden behind a sticky hop aroma and something to be only described as "off." I couldn't quite relate it to the teriyaki suggestions out there but there was something funky smelly.

T-Where the beer falls short. At $10-$15 a bomber, you'd expect something more. While I wasn't positive that the beer was infected, it didn't bring anything special with it to dinner. The hops were immediately overpowering for a stout. To call it a black IPA could be viewed as appropriate....even a Black DIPA.

M-Disappointingly thin for such a heavy hitter. Ideally, if I'm paying top dollar, I'd want to at least feel that it goes to the overhead and cost of production. Night Stalker feels like a cheap stout. It's thin on the mouth and leaves an utter rock in your stomach.

O-Pass. GI has some great stouts and unfortunately, "Non-BBA BCS," as it was suggested, falls way short. I'd hope to see they make improvements to this beer as a year-round RIS would be welcomes from the brewery.

2.37/5  rDev -42.5%

I think I might have had a bad one. Funky flavors overpowered much of anything else. Bought in early January 2013 in downtown DC. Served at recommended temperature with appropriate glassware. Disappointed to say the least. Will try next year's batch, since I absolutely love BCBS and the variants.

2.39/5  rDev -42%

Bottle says 11.5%. 22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a pitch black color. The head is a one finger light tan color with poor retention. There's splotchy hints of lacing left down the glass.

S: Hey, someone misplaced catty Simcoe hops in my imperial stout! That green, citrusy aroma is unmistakeable. Underlying roasted malts, tart fruits, and cocoa powder try to balance things out, but there's something oddly medicinal in the nose. Please don't carry over to the flavor...

T: It's not as harshly bitter as I feared...actually, it's too far in the opposite direction; more on that later. A bit of roasted coffee appears initially, before ending with a lot of bright fruit sweetness and a bit of booze. The finishing hops bring along a significant grapefruit presence - actually, the finish is downright candy like in its sweetness combined with the chocolaty, fruity flavors. It's just like biting into chocolate-covered grapefruit. Without a doubt, it's too sweet at the end of the day - I really need some roasted bitterness here (if not some herbal, piny hop qualities too) to balance out the citrusy/chocolaty nature. A bit of hop harshness appears when the beer warms up, which doesn't balance things any.

M: A bit thinner and more carbonated than I expected from the base of BCBS. The finish is quite sweet and lingering, which kind of kills the drinkability in conjunction with the booze presence. Despite the sweetness, it doesn't feel sturdy or substantial like it should.

O: Not what I was expecting. This comes across like a glorified citrus-and-chocolate dessert liquor instead of an awesomely balanced hoppy RIS; I REALLY wanted more hop and roasted bitterness. All the Simcoe dry-hopping gives it such a weird cloying flavor that's even a bit unpleasant. Time to cork this bitch up - no way I can drink this in a single sitting.

Readjusting my scores; I sampled about 1 oz. from another bottle (also dated 11/19/12) and it tasted exactly the same - there's far too much strange sweetness and offputting citrus character. I'm still torn on whether it's infected or just not very good, but I'm lowering my scores regardless. Two bottles tasting exactly the same doesn't bode well for this batch, if not the beer in general.

2.64/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

First this was bottle on 11/19/12- please take that into account.

A - Jet black. Small pencil head that dissipates in a minute or 2.

S - This is very odd. I smell gin. Pine. thats it.

T- Can even taste the pine. Add in roast, chocolate and almost a sour taste? that can't be right...

M- Full flavor. Excellent mouth. Does burn a bit down the throat as it goes down.

O- I'm not sure what to think. I think something may have gone wrong with the oxidization in the brew process of this particular batch of night stalker. Gin? not a beer flavor. Goose Island makes tremendous beers- something isn't right with this.

2.65/5  rDev -35.7%

A - dark, oily typical stout color

S - smells like a cross between a double ipa and an imperial stout

T - Thought it would be good to be a hybrid of an ipa and a stout, not so much. I was pretty excited to try this as I haven't had too many GI beers, but this one was not impressive. Also has a strong alcohol taste, not hidden well.

M - Burns in your throat, just not good

D - Burning and boozy, just not good

2.69/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this one up in February and let it age in my fridge for a few months. We had a cool summer evening tonight where I split this with two friends.

A: A moderate pour yields a dark khaki head about 1.5cm in height. No real lacing is noticeable as the head fades within a few minutes. Beer itself is opaque black, but some carbonation is visible along the sides of the glass. Looks pretty heavy/thick.

S: Oddly, what comes across as the dominant scent is a mildly-tangy and robust barbecue sauce. Seriously. Mostly hickory, cumin, and tomato. Everything else is minor compared to this, but I do pick up some roasted malt, stewed prunes, and piney hops. The alcohol in this beer becomes progressively more and more apparent in the nose with warmth, almost to the point of cloying. Not very enjoyable, or good for the style.

T: Again, a strange taste profile. Very upfront with barbecue-like or curry-like spices. This fades to more smokiness, some roasted malt flavor, and very mild (watered down) chocolate/coffee. In the finish, there's a sudden, strong hop presence, which is an interesting technical feat, but not really something I want to savor in the aftertaste. Alcohol, as in the smell, becomes more apparent with warmth. The taste blend/sequence doesn't work.

M: Medium-heavy on the palate, moderate carbonation that almost allows this beer to sit in the mouth too long. Dry finish.

O: I'm glad I drank this with friends, who were able to agree with the tastes and smells I was getting out of this one. Also, glad to drink it with others because I don't think I'd want to wade through an entire bomber of this. I don't think this is a good representation of the style, and will not be seeking it out again.

2.74/5  rDev -33.5%

Wow...I either got a bad bottle or this beer just does not agree with me.

A - No head, a touch of lacing on top if you tease it out. Dark brown, with a bit of mahogany around the edges.

S - Boozy with some burnt citrus.

T - Smoke, lots of smoke. The citrus hops try to come through, along with some dark fruit, but I get the overwhelming flavor of smoke It is like grapefruit and some cherries were thrown into a smoker and burnt, then put into a beer. A lot of sweetness remains, a bit of alcohol and bitterness with an acrid bite.

M - Thick and smooth, coats the mouth with a good deal of alcohol warmth. Unfortunate that it coats your mouth nicely with a not so great flavor.

O - While it looks good and has a nice feel, this beer is totally out of balance. Like a RIS that has not been fermented and an IPA mixed with some burnt logs from a fireplace. Not sure I can finish this bottle, so very disappointing coming from Goose Island.

*Edit 11/19/12 bottle here also...seems like this batch is just off.

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

I generally like Imperial Stouts, but this one is just too sweet for me. Its cloying and unbalanced due to its super potent sweetness and low 60 IBUs. In a 11+% ABV Imperial I would expect close to 100 IBUs to balance the sweetness, so this one falls way short.

The appearance and mouth feel are fantastic on this one, but it smells much like it tastes, very sweet. I am sure others would disagree, but it was reminiscent of Southern Tier Creme Brulee in sweetness, so much so that it was completely undrinkable for me. If you are a ST Creme Brulee fan, you will probably like this one.

This one could use some lower mash temps to dry it out a bit and maybe more hops in the boil and at flame out to further cover the sweetness. This one is great if you like them sweet.

2.8/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Provided kindly by RC0032 in the Hype Train BIF! 02/06/11 date on the bottle.

A: Pour is dark as the night. About a finger of brown head from a really vigorous pour. Doesn't stick around for very long.

S: Smells a lot like a smoked beer. Steak honestly comes to mind. Some chocolate and roastiness also. Licorice and molasses also, some hops and booze.

T: This needs time in the bottle. Wow is it disjointed and hot. So many flavors coming out. Very sweet. Licorice, roasted malts, molasses, booze. Really disappointed I opened this so early.

MF: Heavy, carbonation was fine, but the alcohol was so prominent.

O: Not good. Had some trouble finishing this. Do not open fresh at all. I'm sure this is good later in it's life but right now, not so much.

2.81/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on date of 11/19/12.

A- Pours a pitch black color with a half finger of khaki colored head that quickly fades. Pours rather thin looking for an imperial stout.

S- I get mostly a coffee and chocolate malt aroma in the smell. Some hop presence is notable as well.

T- I was hoping I wasn't going to have a write a poor review after reading about the 11/19/12 infection thoughts, but this is not tasting right. Initially I get an overly hopped taste with some coffee flavors. The aftertaste brings some hop bitterness and almost a sourness. Not a fan.

M- Medium bodied, carbonated well, bitter and odd tasting.

I last had Night Stalker 2-3 years ago and thought it was ok. This one tastes off.

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

Bomber from Ryan011235, poured into a Duvel tulip. A smallish dark head builds slowly then shrinks quickly to a skim and a collar of bubbles. Not much in the way of lacing.

Nose has a bit of roast and coffee, but leans toward the sweeter end of the scale. Dark and milk chocolates, citrus, strawberry pie (?). Unsurprisingly, it tastes pretty sweet, too. Tangy fruit and warming booze all the way through. Thick and smooth. Seems to be just enough carbonation, roast and bitterness to somewhat balance out the hefty toffee and burnt sugar sweetness. Increasingly fruity and chocolatey as it warms. Citrus and berry in particular are strong. Booze and tangy fruit linger.

Overall impression: Decent, but could stand some more roasted flavor to balance out the sweet stuff.

2.96/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured this into an over-sized wine glass. The bottle was dated 2/6/11 (drank this wayyyy to early in it's life).

Pours a pitch black, with a small tan head, good lacing sticks to the walls of the glass. Smells of strong alcohol, toffee, roasted barley, stale coffee, and bitter chocolate. The taste is overwhelming with alcohol and extremely bitter hops. Also, I would catch notes of chocolate, but the alcohol was so overpowering that I had trouble finding anything good from this beer. The beer was very thick and creamy and had perfect carbonation. The beer has potential and would probably be a lot better if it was dated 2/6/09 not 2/6/11. The overpowering alcohol really turned me off from this beer. I may pick one up for the cellar and try it in a couple of years and hopefully that will change my opinion of this beer for the better.

This was a very disappointing beer. It was overly complicated and harsh, none of the different taste melded together leaving a fairly unpalatable beer.

Night Stalker from Goose Island Beer Co.