Night Stalker - Goose Island Beer Co.

Night StalkerNight Stalker

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.70% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Night Stalker Alström Bros
MyTBeerDrinker

AntLeatherface

01-08-2013 03:52:01 | More by AntLeatherface
ericlawton007

1.1/5  rDev -73%

Was really hoping I got a good bottle. Did not happen as the smell was very much like the worst thing you could smell when expecting an imperial stout. While I cant fully explain what comes out in the aroma, the taste is all teriyaki and soy sauce. I contacted goose island with my bottle date and time stamp just so they could try and limit the people that wasted over 10 dollars on this and instead of letting me know that they were looking into this, they sent me a generic letter saying how they used different hops and it brought on a different taste from years past. They did not go on to explain why people who have tried multiple bottles from this years batch have tasted two really different beers. I would have felt better had they not emailed me a response back at all.

02-10-2013 01:28:38 | More by ericlawton007

JohnnyMc

03-16-2013 18:13:53 | More by JohnnyMc
BearsOnAcid

1.63/5  rDev -60%

I've had this enough times to make my decision on it now.

Night Stalker is the base beer for BCS so as expected it's black slightly viscous and is topped with a caramel head. This one carries a slightly larger head from the different hopping. Good start here but that's all it's got going for it.

The smell is a preview for this beer's trail of destruction. Coffee notes and a nutty/woodsy/Simcoe aroma blend together to create an extremely repulsive smell of cat excrement. Like you were gone all day at work and left your coffee at home from being in a hurry. But it's okay cause your cat took a big shit in it while you were gone. There's no getting around this for me. It's awful. I almost want to throw up in my glass and drink that instead. Underneath, there is pine and a little spiciness.

The taste is not as bad but follows along the same lines as the aroma. There's a prevalent nutty/woody flavor that almost imitates the oak that is missing from how this beer is usually produced. Oak is something that this particular stout needs. Textbook Simcoe flavors are coming through as well as freshly roasted coffee. It's sweet but seems to be battling the mess of flavors inside this beer. The sweetness never prevails. It's not really a hop bomb or anything, there is just too many things going on. Almost like you are drinking two beers at the same time and neither compliment or drink well together.

Luckily, I've been able to try this many times without having to buy a bottle. I think if I was drinking this on my own I would have to dump this. My stomach would thank me because it makes me feel like I'm going to have heartburn. I get a agitated, burning feeling even after a couple samples.

04-11-2010 19:03:23 | More by BearsOnAcid
hu5om

1.68/5  rDev -58.8%

split with newk340
a-black and fairly thick. tan head. fine bubbles dissipate to a tan ring. dense.

s-funky, strange, maybe cherries? didn't see this coming, possibly infected?

t-infected. cherries and heat. some maltiness. aftertaste is ok, but really it's foul to drink

m-thin and boozy

d- d is for drainpour. bad bottle. looking forward to getting a new one to update this. I've heard a lot of good things about this beer, so I look forward to having it taste like it's supposed to.

07-20-2010 16:39:52 | More by hu5om
316nuts

1.73/5  rDev -57.6%

Distinct and overwhelming soy and/or teriyaki profile in both the nose and body.

Bottled 11/19/2012 followed by the number sequence 1410.

Purchased a 22oz bomber. Poured into a large Duvel tulip.

Color was midnight black. Nice tan head. Thinner than expected mouthfeel.

Upon pouring there was an outstanding and overwhelming soy aroma. Hops and licorice in the background. Didn't notice chocolate. Any roast has been overwhelmed by the soy.

I thought and hoped the flavor profile would change as the beer warmed, but it did not. Alcohol bite showed up some more, but the flavor changed in no appreciable regard.

I can only assume this is an infected bottle. If not, it is the most unusual and poorly executed stout I've ever encountered. Reading other reviews, it sounds like what I consumed is way, way off. I can only assume it's infected/bad in some regard. I've had other stouts that were just "meh" and Night Stalker was entirely different. Didn't pick up sour or "funky" notes, just straight soy.

01-09-2013 22:48:22 | More by 316nuts

12-28-2012 20:27:52 | More by redlegacy
rfbenavi80

Missouri

1.79/5  rDev -56.1%

22oz bottle poured into a Deschutes Snifter. Been reading a thread on this site that is talking about a possible infection in these bottles. Who knows, lets see if it tastes good or not.
Bottled on 11/19/12. Going to guess that the 1324 is a time stamp.

A- Pours black as night with 2 fingers of mocha colored head that doesn't hang around too long but does leave some mild lacing.

S- Hmmm. Hoping that reading that thread did not sway my opinion, but this one definitely smells like soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. Man it really smells like somebody is cooking Asian food. Hoisin Sauce is in the mix also. There might be some pine needles underneath all those Asian sauces, but it is not front and center. Not sure how I feel about this, but I'll keep going.

T- Follows nose to the T. Wow, definitely an interesting beer. There is of course the overwhelming soy sauce flavor with out the salty kick, followed by the sweet flavors often found in Asian food. Hoisin comes to mind. Also the sauce on General Tso's Chicken comes to mind. Not all all getting any of the typical Imperial Stout qualities here. Just seems like a big mess of a beer.

M- Not near as silky and creamy an Imperial Stout should be. Moderate amount of carbonation.

O- Going into this with an open mind, and trying not to be tugged either way with the whole "infection" debate going on I don't think I'm impressed. Maybe they are infected, maybe they aren't, I can say this. I will not be buying another bottle of the 2012 version to find out. In no way do I see a comparison to the Bourbon County Brand Stout. It's hard to believe that this is the base beer. If there is no infection and this is what it is supposed to taste like I don't think that it would have the score on here that it does.

01-14-2013 03:49:14 | More by rfbenavi80

MisterBisco

07-08-2014 13:45:55 | More by MisterBisco
zoolzoo

Connecticut

Thanks to wedge42 for the bottle.
22oz, Duvel tulip

Nightstalker pours pitch black, one finger khaki head. Looks like a stout....A good start.

So this thing smells odd. Huge whiff of citrus hops, absolutely clashing with chocolate malt, coffee, and nuts. I don't get it, Im sniffing two different beers in one glass here. The melding of the two smell like something strange I cant really accurately describe. Ill reference to it as "crap".

The taste is pretty much what I expected from the aroma. Im getting that citrus up front again but the back end is all sugary coffee and chocolate malt. Its weird, clashing, a mess. I can understand hopping stouts for bitterness but this is just too bright up front for me. This is certainly "unique" as far as stouts go, but its just not for me.

This is the first GI offering I haven't liked. They are certainly still one of my favorite breweries and Ill continue to try whatever they come up with.

04-13-2010 14:52:01 | More by zoolzoo
Night Stalker from Goose Island Beer Co.