Night Stalker - Goose Island Beer Co.

Night StalkerNight Stalker

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.70% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Night Stalker Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

(From notes)

A - Poured with a generous finger of creamy/dense looking darker tan head; good retention. Dense jet black color

S - Some burnt sugar sweetness; roasted maltiness; coffee; bit of dark fruit; hops definitely shine through as well. A bit soapy and piney

T - Wow, this is one hoppy brew with the soapy and cedar-like flavors really present; bit of warming alcohol; then dives into the more stout-like qualities; roasted coffee and caramel really stuck out to me as well. Really balanced out all the great flavors

M - Thick, viscous, and a touch creamy at points; very subtle carbonation

D - Hugely drinkable against the style and weight; given the breadth and quality of flavors it makes for a wonderfully drinkable brew.

Overall, this is one great Imperial Stout. I think it defines the often used phrase "dangerously drinkable". Highly recommended.

Nickls, Jul 12, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

On tap at east village tavern. Black, nice head. Smell is absolutely bursting with stouty aromas of espresso, chocolate, roastiness. Taste has all that, some oakiness (not sure if it's oaked so I could be just imagining it), molasses, mmm. VERY balanced. As far as stouts go, I think it's more on the bitter side (relative to the style), but if you consider it on it's own, I don't think there could be a more balanced beer. Big beautiful mouthfeel. When you finish 12 oz of a beer this size in 20 minutes and are ready for another one, you can call it drinkable. I asked the bartender if she preferred this to the BCS, which was also on tap. She said the BCS was too sweet for her, and since I hadn't tried it before, she was nice enough to give me a little taste. And I 100% agreed with her. I probably didn't have enough to understand the true nature of BCS, but from what I did try, I clearly preferred the night stalker. This goes down with Abyss and Speedway as one of my favorite impy stouts ever. Get some.

redmagik99, Jul 11, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 64oz. growler into a 16oz. pint glass. The brew is jet black, like a good stout should be. A small espresso head forms, but dissipates almost instantly. A small, tan ring of lacing is left. Does not appear too carbonated. Instead appears delicious. Let's stick our nose in it.

On the nose a smoky caramel scent comes on strong, along with molasses, syrup, brown sugar, and a good oak note. Reminiscent of a good, sweet breakfast stout, but smells more strongly of alcohol. Scent really is as dark, mysterious, and inviting as the brew itself.

Per a few recommendations I have let this beer warm up a bit before drinking. First taste is quite sweet, syrupy. Definite caramel, brown sugar, molasses flavors shine through, as well as a bit of bourbon and brandy. Very well composed flavor. Deep and complex. Alcohol is fairly well hidden but a good sting does hit the nose. Nice bitter aftertaste complements the initial sweetness exceptionally. There is a strange, grassy herbal character as well as some sweet candied fruits (plum, cherry, maybe a subtle pomegranate) dancing just beneath it.

Mouthfeel is thick and luscious. Very smooth and heavy. Low carbonation, like many tap stouts. Powerful on the tongue, silky going down.

If this beer wasn't the high octane drunk-fuel it is, I'd swear I could drink it all day. So smooth with a perfect sweet/bitter balance. I will most doubt have another, and another, and another, and then another when I wake up from my stupor.

brundo4, Jul 09, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

On draft at their Wrigleyville location. Poured jet black with brown accent and head. Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate, some vanilla/oak/booziness and pine. Thick oily mouthfeel. Tastes lots of roasted malt, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, light barrel likeness. Hops come through in the finish along with coffee. A great example of the style, probably better than the Bourbon Country as far as being a great standard imperial without add ons, and I really like the BC.
Not going to knock it for the price, since that has no real bearing on the beer itself.

Bung, Jul 07, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Tasted & savored on tap at Stub & Herb's, a revered place here in the Twin Cities that seems to magically procure almost every amazing draft beer that comes into this market. Tip o' the hat & another reason why I need to get back there more often.

The pour on this was dead, flat, jet, angry black with a side of coffee black. Smell was the brew's only weak point; nose was a bit sweet, but that was it.

And then the flavor comes screaming out of that little glass & whacks me upside the head. Glorious malts, a velvet iron glove of bourbon, hops creeping up the palate, sugary chocolate smoothing out the entire experience with a gentle, aching hand. Wow. It was at this point I looked at my 7 oz. glass & wished for a 22 oz. mug & a designated driver.

Night Stalker is flat, creamy, smooth, & warm. And with the 11.7% providing only a hint of the alcohol in this thing, the drinkability is dangerous. I sipped at my wife's, too, & had to pull back from a hand-slap multiple times.

Fantastic beer. I'll be on the lookout if this ever makes a return to the Cities in draft or bottle. If I could have had a bit bigger glass of this, it might easily have risen into the A+ range as it warmed more. Highly recommended.

maximum12, Jul 05, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

A- Pours a dark black color with a nice thick brown head. Head has decent retention and left a bit of lacing but not as much as I expected.

S- Roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate, a bit of alcohol and dark fruits. Smells really good just not quite as strong as I expected.

T- Taste is of dark roasted malts, roast coffee, chocolate, and dark fruit. Just a touch of the alcohol burn.

M- Full in body and low carbonation. Has a very silky smooth feel to this one.

D- I really enjoyed this one and was glad I was able to give it a shot. If you can find this one out there go for it.

nrbw23, Jun 30, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had it on tap at el Bait Shop in Des Moines on Saturday. A great beer bar in the middle of Iowa, who knew!

A: Pitch black with about a half inch of dark brown head that didn't hang around for too long. Good lacing.

S: Dark and malty, definitely well-hopped. It's pretty nice.

T: Sticky and sweet, there's a ton of flavors going on. Roast, chocolate, coffee, toffee, hoppy bitterness, it's quite good.

M: Pretty viscous, moderate to low carbonation, it's about right.

D: For 11.7% it's quite drinkable, but I don't think I could do more than one even if it were lower ABV. A ton of flavor.

aggiearcher13, Jun 29, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

on tap @ GI-Clybourn

Pours black, pitch black, with a very thin brown head, almost a ring from the start, which leaves little bits of lacing. This one looks kind of normal for an imperial stout. The smell is very intense. There is a whiff of cracked roasted grains, very raw almost like unboiled wort. There's a bit of booze in here though. And a whiff of dark sweet chocolate is present - though not too powerful. But I can detect quite a lot of sweetness, with a hint of fruitiness - like a rich red wine or something. The taste starts with the overripe fruits, dark plums and grapes, a bit of raisins, followed by some dry, bitter chocolate, very, very rich with these flavors. Then the sweetness comes in, caramelly at times, but sometimes just like chocolate cake or something, washed over with coffee. And in the finish, I can taste some earth hops, and a bit of a resinous feel pulls the beer down as I swallow. This beer is just incredibly rich, almost too rich, with a strong note of booze. This one is very full, but actually not quite syrupy like I expected it to be. Sometimes, I feel like little chunks of grain are going down with the beer. This one is a sipper, most certainly. But a very good one. The pour was into an 8 or 10 oz snifter, which was just the right size to get all of this one that I'd like. I would love to have more of this, though I drank it at like 1 in the afternoon, with a big day ahead, so I stopped at one. A very good beer if you ever get the chance to try it.

taylorhamrick, Jun 27, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got this from PEBCAK, cheers Adam! Per Adam's suggestion I've let this warm up!

Pours a ruddy mahogany with 2 fingers of fluffy mocha colored head. Good lacing & some head retention

Slight bubble gum twang there up front, then brown sugar & brownie notes as this warms.

T: Boozey, oak & mocha, & hints of rubber bands & leafy hops up front. Vanilla, oakyness & bitter sweet chocolate dominate as this warms. This beer screams for a brownie or three... Cherry & bourbon notes are prominent as this finishes, with gooey chocolate & a kiss of coffee, too mouch booze & some weird fruittyness prevents a 5.0, but I can learn to love all that...

MF: Creamy/chewy with some biting carbonation, Becomes super rich as this warms

Drinks pretty easy, but too complex & warming to session on..

russpowell, Jun 27, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Had this at el Bait Shop. 8? ounce pour for 7.50.

A - Poured black with a half inch mocha head taht became a thin layer. Nice lacing.

S - Dark fruits and hops. Some malt and alcohol.

T - Roasted malts (both coffee and chocolate flavors). Slight alcohol warmth in the finish.

M - Viscous, thick, mouth coating.

D - It's a big beer, but very good.

I liked GIBCS more.

tedpeer, Jun 25, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Had this on tap at Stub and Herb's while waiting 7 hours for my ride from Indulge.

A: Dark brown 1/2 finger head with very small bubbles. The beer itself is black as all get out, meaning I can't see anything in it for active carbonation. The head did go away fairly fast though.

S: The smell wasn't very strong, but I could pick up enough of it. There was a lot of dark fruits, some malt, and no hops. It was slightly roasted, but not very much.

T: Some dark fruit and a mild roast again, still no hops. There is some dryness and bitterness. There is not a lot going on here in my opinion, but I like what is there.

M: medium body, smooth

D: Doable, but mostly a one and doner, not something you're going to keep coming back to all night.

mdwalsh, Jun 22, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

I had this on tap at the Clybourn brewpub, served in an 8oz goblet for $10(!). The beer was as black as brown can be, thin dark tan foam, looked like a nice nightcap. The aroma was hoppier than I expected, very nice in such a strong looking stout, with loads of undercurrents of chocolate and roasted malts. The taste is complex to say the least, a little overwhelming. Lots of chocolate and malty sweetness, not so much flavor from the hops although maybe a hint of citrus, noticeable ethanol and a cough syrup component that I'd have preferred was avoided. The body matches the intensity of the taste, on the thicker side. The drinkability is not too high, as this is truly a sipper and at 11.7% ABV I'd limit my ingestion of this beer to 1 per night.

TurdFurgison, Jun 22, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +21.3%

I had this at Goose Island - Clybourn the day before Dark Lord Day '09. It was the best beer I had all weekend!

A: A pitch black liquid sits at the bottom of a small snifter split between me and my good buddy SiriusAth and taunts us both. Before the trip, I read online that this was the same basic recipe as the Bourbon County Brand Stout. It certainly looks identical to me. Minor head only shows up after a swirl.

S: WHOA! HUGE piny/citrus hops in the nose layered over a huge (but hidden, if that makes sense) roasted malt backbone. It smells much more like a Double IPA than a Double Stout, and Simcoe has to be playing a big role.

T: Roasted and chocolate malt come through at the beginning followed immediately by the big hop bill. This is my first experience with a big West Coast-hopped stout, and I'm blown away. I never imagined the two worlds could coexist so well together. The hops linger well into the finish and beyond.

M: Like its counterpart, BCBS, the body is very full and lightly carbonated.

D: Although my friend and I held back and savored it as much as we could, it was ridiculously drinkable.

Notes: Upon coming back to GA, I further read about this beer online and found that it's heavily dry-hopped with Simcoe and Mt. Hood, which makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, the buzz around this beer will encourage GI to bottle this one of a kind treat. I would love to have more of them at my disposal.

GruvisHops, Jun 22, 2009

Had on tap at Groveland. Been waiting a while to finally try this.

Only a 4 oz pour.

Not a big head of course, but it is very dark tan. For the little head, it leave great lace. Color is dark dark brown, basically black.

Aroma: Malt bomb. Chocolate. Some roasted notes. Earthy hops and lots of them. A little coffee. I wished it had a little more going on here, but still pretty solid.

Taste: Very chocolaty and malty. Sweet, earthy hops. Some vanilla. Definitely has some alcohol present. I am really loving it.

Mouthfeel: rich, smooth, and creamy. Full bodied. Medium level of carbonation. Leaves a boozy malty aftertaste. I am really enjoying the mouthfeel here.

Overall, a damn good beer. I loved BCS and I love this beer too. I wished they bottled this. Very drinkable, but I can imagine the booze might get to me if I had had a larger pour.

Great job GI!

mothman, Jun 22, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Pours such a dark brown that it appears black. No light is able to get through even around the edges. The brown head is minimal but shows great retention. Really, grab a pint and go about your business because the foam isn't going anywhere for a while. Lacing is spotty at best.

S - Starts out with a mixture of coffee and dark fruit. Mostly cherry is noted. Alcohol makes a subtle presence midway to end. Finishes off with a nice smokey aroma that seems to linger for a while.

T - Dark fruit dominates the flavor. Hints of cherry and raspberry are most noticeable. Midway this beer starts to show its legs. Smooth espresso mixed with warm alcohol really makes for a nice solid body to the flavor. Roasted flavors and some charcoal finish it all off. Well done.

M - Fuller side of medium bodied with a light and fine carbonation that works very well. One of the smoothest brews to hit this palate in a long time.

D - Drinkability is good. No doubt this beer is a sipper but the alcohol is hidden well enough to make it dangerous. One pint would make for a nice limit but I could see having two because it is that good of a brew. The overall balance of the brew in respect to all the categories is actually amazing. This is one that should make into bottles and into the regular Goose Island lineup.

csmiley, Jun 20, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Deep, dark black with a reddish hue to it

S-Chocolate in the nose, as well as alcohol, dark fruits, and some malt.

T-Very rich flavor - the expresso comes through as well as chocolate, and maybe even a bit of oak?

M-Very light bodied (could be due to the growler sitting a few days)

D- Fantastic beer that I'm happy to have sampled. Thanks to Bamadog for the hookup! I wouldn't mind having a good bit of this to have an extended sample. Even with the high ABV, I believe this is highly drinkable.

beerman207, Jun 18, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bamadog happened to mention last night that Night Stalker was on tap at Party Source and Party Town. We immediately made an impromptu trip for a growler to split. Review is on a pour into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a very rich, super dark chocolate brown, really black, with a short, 1/2 finger tan head that retains decently with light rings of soft lacing following down the glass. The liquid is completely opaque.

Smell: Aroma isn't nearly as strong as expected. Light scent of milky, creamy chocolate and a fruity sweetness like chocolate covered cherries. Subtle roastiness from caramelized malts comes through with a hint of earthiness, somewhat like tobacco. The alcohol comes through in a slightly sharp sting in the aftertaste.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The taste is very full and robust, strong with roasted coffee, hot alcohol, slightly present citrus hops, chewy, almost syrupy malts and a distinct sugary sweetness that develops more over time as the beer warms. It is almost maple syrup-like. Feel is a bit of a contradiction - viscous yet bright, sticky yet smooth.

Drinkability: Lower for the style even. The sticky sweetness pairs with the alcohol heat to be a little overwhelming. As with the Bourbon County Stout, I'd probably prefer it with age. Too bad a growler won't work that way.

kels, Jun 16, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Had this on tap. The beer pours almost black, and had almost no head. It smells like chocolate, like a hot delicious cup of drinking chocolate, with roasted aromasand like a delcious fresh cooking caramel. The taste is an insanely delicious balance of dark chocolate, caramel, with roasted nut flavors, with a thick maltiness. Think of every dark, savory, deep flavor, and there's a hint of it in this beer. It feels thick and sweet in the mouth, like melted chocolate. I loved it. It was rich and fantastic. It'd be hard to drink a full pint of this, but I'd keep doing it just because it tastes so good.

beergirlblog, Jun 12, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

Thanks to RoyMunson for this one.

Nice hiss as I opened the cap letting me know that the cabonation held up on this one in transit. It poured an opaque onyx color with a small coat of brown head that falls to a broken film after settling. The aroma brings notes of anise backed by a mild but detectable alcohol. There is a bit of fig fruityness and some chocolate notes in there as well, but both are married well with the anise. It is a little lighter on the nose than I anticipated. The flavor on the other hand is huge. The first to hit me is a spicy anise that moves to a chocolate-covered fig on swallowing the beer. The aftertaste brings espresso and almost a hint of cherry fruityness with a detectable bitterness on the sides and back of my tongue. This one is sweet, but not cloying. The alcohol is certainly apparent in the flavor, but it does not take away from the experience; instead it enhances the flavors in the brew. As I drink more of it, I'm finding some tropical fruit flavors (pineapple and coconut) right as I swallow the beer and lingering into the aftertaste. It is a very unique combination of flavors. The mouthfeel is thick, leaving a good residual coat in my mouth after swallowing the brew. The carbonation is minimal but present and suiting this beer very well. Overall, I am thrilled to have had a chance to try this brew. It is incredibly complex and I think I like this more than after resting in barrels. Drinkability is as expected for the style. I'm not going to sit down and kill the growler tonight, but I can probably make it through a few glasses for sure.

kmpitz2, Jun 11, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap in a chalice.

Appearance: A strong molasses / black color. A thick, tan, 3cm head, which leaves light lacing at beer level along with a nice collar.

Smell: A strong molasses smell, some dark fruits (dates, figs) present as well.

Taste: Bold molasses and fig taste. Vanilla, chocolate, and light espresso taste round out the creamy and syrupy malt. Some light hops at the end retain a creamy, dark fruit taste. Afterward a light bitterness rests on my tongue.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, with a nice level of carbonation.

Drinkability: A strong imperial stout, but it is a little bit syrupy to cause me to really fall in love.

KickInTheChalice, Jun 11, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at Goose Clybourn

I've had this beer a few times and I've been in a reviewing mood lately so here we go!

This beer is a black coffee color with a thin swirling layer of mocha head. It's making my mouth water.

The nose gives me a ton of brownie batter, milky coffee, booze, maybe cinnamon?

The first sip is a huge malty, chocolately, boozy blast. It's delicious! I'm still waiting for the hit of bourbon you get with BCS, but of course, it's not there. I'm getting some green banana and a ton of chocolate.

The mouthfeel is extremely creamy and smooth, like melted ice cream. Not as thick as Dark Lord, but not as thin as most impy stouts I've had. This is a great beer and it's only fault is probably the abv. It goes down so quickly and catches up to you really, really fast.

Good job Goose Island!

beertooth, Jun 04, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours black with a thin tan head. Nose is seeming like a fruity thing at first but then it morphs to a slightly roasted tone. Then I get a tar thing as well. Flavor is thick and hearty. Lots and lots of malty body to it. Minor roasted tones. Yet that sweet malty stout character lingers in the back. I am leaving it out to warm up and see how it matures with a temperature climb. THe liquid body of this is extremely thick. I mean we're talking pretty viscous here. I have seen comments on how Dark Lord is quite thick and I am wondering how that bottle in my cabinet will compare to this. Carbonation is minimal, yet still slightly attacking on the mouth. Interesting. Definitely a sincere endeavor by Goose Island. Better than Bourbon County Stout? Hmmm. I would have to say no as of this moment. However this is an early draft version, so I am quite willing to try future bottlings in order to compare.

P.S. The booze really kicks in quick on this one.

RblWthACoz, Jun 01, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

After not being able to make it to GI during Dark Lord weekend to have some in person I owe a big THANKS to fellow BA mcallister for hooking me up with a 16 oz flip top mini growler! Been saving this one for a night to sit down with and enjoy!

A-Deep, dark black with a medium dark, reddish tan head. This slowly reduces to a thin film that leaves spotty lace. A surprising amount of carbonation for a month plus old growler.

S-BIG chocolate blast initially with an impressive and complex melding of dark roast, espresso, dark fruit and molasses. A bit of hop spiciness creeps in as it warms up.

T-BOOM---my first impression--A dark chocolate and espresso covered beef jerky bar! Big flavour with tons of deep, dark notes. This is big, bold and oh so tasty! An impressive melding of rich flavours.

M-Full bodied, rich, smooth and luscious. This brew is almost chewable! Big, long lasting flavours and earthy, spicy bitterness.

D-I often think I will not like BIG stouts as much as I end up liking them! This is simply and outstanding brew! I really like BCS but I have to say as a stand alone RIS this is one impressive stout. In fact I like this more than BCS. One big, beefy, roasty, flavourful and GIANT tasting stout. Thanks for the opportunity mcallister!

Deuane, Jun 01, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Sampled at Goose Island and at a local bar.
Pours black and still as night. Just a hint of a small head but legs like glue. No carbonation is apparent.
Smells sweet and roasty. Lots of mild coffee and hints of chocolate and vanilla. Slight booziness.
Taste is a massive bomb of dark malt, lots of chocolate, vanilla, cream, bourbon and charcoal. Very complex. Not as much of a bomb as BCS, but you can definitely taste most of the same notes.
Just a bit thinner than BCS, rich and creamy. Nice to sip in a small amount or when paired with the right food...and good luck with that.

kirok1999, May 31, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

32 oz growler, filled on Friday and capped on foam, into a red wine glass.

Pours opaque black, not a hint of brown even around the edges, with a thin dark brown, fluffy head that dies down fairly quickly.

Nose has lots of citric hops plowing through big notes of molasses and mocha, a bit boozy. Everything in this just works - so big and rich.

Taste is out of this world. Big thick chocolate and molasses notes, espresso, and a fantastic citrus note and noticeable hop bite and bitterness. One of the hoppiest stouts I've had, but the malt backbone just shrugs it off. It's like someone took a dark chocolate milkshake, threw in a shot of espresso, and then dry hopped it. Fantastic. Works best at cellar temp, interestingly - towards room temp the hop bitterness and acidity runs a bit rampant, trying to drown out the fantastic chocolate/molasses/espresso notes, though it does bring up some very interesting red fruit notes. Finish is long, rich, citric hops and loads of espresso. Booze is kept well in check for a beer this size.

Mouthfeel is the classic Bourbon County thickness - rich, viscous, and as close to motor oil as I've had. The hoppy acidity in there cuts it just a bit, but it's still so unbelievably smooth and rich, with just the lightest carbonation.

Drinkability is all relative in a beer this size, but I've positively flown through the first 16 ounces of my growler. The next 16 don't appear likely to last long. Deserving of the hype. Only beer that I've had that's anything like this is a Smuttynose Imperial Stout after about a year; this is very similar, but taking one notch further.

JohnQVegas, May 30, 2009
Night Stalker from Goose Island Beer Co.