Sofie - Goose Island Beer Co.

SofieSofie

pDev: 10%
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-29-2009

80% Belgian Style Ale, 20% Belgian Style Ale aged in wine barrels with citrus peel. Champagne color, white pepper aroma, citrus & vanilla flavor, sparkling body.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,699 | Reviews: 954
Reviews by FernMaster:
4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Sofie - Goose Island

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

I haven't reviewed this beer yet? What the hell is wrong with me? I was just sitting, texting, listening to Junip while being in a really pleasant mood as I was drinking this beer and I was wondering what did I rate it at? Apparently nothing, which needs to be remedied.

If the Holy Grail is ever discovered, this should be the first thing ever poured into it. Sorry Angel, not Mountain Dew and sorry Indian Jones for whatever the hell it was, water? Yuck. There's easily a hand's worth of head. Maybe not for people who have man sized hands, for my dainty hands it's easily five fingers. Gorgeous. I meant my hands. Jk. Sofie is a very murky golden dirty blonde color with constant carbonation and decent lacing as well. She's a looker.

The smell, ahahaha. There's this funky rotted floor board smell, like an abandoned farmhouse. Over this rotted funk is a scent of incredible lemon zest, citrusy punch, sort of a pineapple scent. If you were to have sex with a pineapple in the situation that Alison Brie's character in the most recent "Community" episode described (the Dungeons and Dragons one), Sofie would smell like that.

The taste is magnifecent and what really got me pondering on what my previous review was. I'm drinking this a little warm, you should too, maybe a little past 55 degrees and it's perfect there. The lemon comes right up in the front of the taste. Sofie is also very sour, while not being distractingly so, which for me is a quality I love. Shock Tarts are cool, but a whole roll is a challenge. When I was a kid, I don't know if those are still made. They should be. I want some. I said "zest" earlier and that comes through, it's very tangy and delectable.

The mouthfeel of this is nicely carbonated that gives a smidgen of resistance as you drink. I like it. It's a good, firm body to uphold the flavor and it's an all around amazing drink at a very affordable price. I would highly recommend drinking this beer. It's by Goose Island, a brewery I love for their consistent quality. They are part of what makes living in the Midwest great. Find this beer and drink it if you haven't already, or if you're like me, revisit an old friend.

3.77/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at Jake's Billiards.Poured into a goblet a slight hazed lemon/strw color with a bone white head.Aromas are yeasty but not overly phenolic with a burst of citrusy lemon.Flavors of light spiced phenols and mild dough,lemon brings bright and even sharpness in the finish.The phenols are kept in check pretty well and the citrus flavors are nice if a bit sharp in the finish,not bad.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

3.65/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I loved Matilda so I thought that by all the great reviews that I'd love Sofie since I love me some Belgian style beers. I was very confused by this beer. I poured it into a glass and the beer looked incredibly light looking, I tasted the beer and it tasted incredibly light (like watered down), and thus I was disappointed. I bought a 4 pack so I'll definitely be drinking it all but I'm not a fan of this one. Their beer called Matilda on the other hand was awesome. I'm not sure if they encourage aging this beer but that's what I'll be doing since as it is, it just isn't special. Maybe with time it gets better? idk.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.02/5  rDev -2%

The bottle presentation of this beer is incredible. Very nice label.

Looks almost clear pouring from the bottle, but turns out to be a light straw color with some haze and a thin, bubbly white head.

The aroma and taste of this beer are both subtle. The aroma is of citrus zest, pineapple, pear, clove, mildly funky yeast, and something Champagne-like.

The taste is of mild orange and lemon zest, peppery hops, and it has a slight bit of funk to the yeast. The hops are a suprising bonus in the dry Champagne-ish finish, which works well with the brisk carbonation. I would say this is a toned-down, less banana-y Tripel, if I had to guess. Saison would have to be my second guess, even though it doesn't really have the heat presence a lot of Tripels tend to have.

Very good now, I'm thinking that a few years to soften this out, could make it outstanding.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Pour/Appearance: A thick, 2 finger head, with lots of lacing. a hazy golden/amber in color. Some yeast sediment noticeable.

Smell: A strong citrus smell with a hint of spice were the only notes to standout.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied without an abundance of carbonation. A smooth beer with good balance.

Taste: Citrus from the orange peel very evident, though it seemed more lemon than orange. Possibly a bit of coriander lending to the spice notes.

Overall: This is an excellent beer, thought saison/farmhouse style is not noted on the bottle, it is very much evident. While no one area (appearance, smell) stood out as uniquely outstanding, the overall experience was excellent and this is a beer I'd have again and recommend.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz bought on 7-4-09, most recent release to hit Chicago. Pours into my glass a bright sunshine yellow with orange accents, good clarity. A nice half inch of foam and steady rising carbonation. Aromas greet me with crisp, light grain malts melding into earthy, wild yeast accents. Orange peel is noticeable with citric hops in the background as well. Spicy with a touch of mellow dry oak. Elegant.

First sip brings crisp malts met by peppery, earthy yeast flavors. Orange peel works its way in along with a kiss of brett. Flows down with a touch of bitterness and a lingering spiciness. Quite dry on the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth, crisp and light. Extremely easy to drink with well balanced carbonation. A bomber of this brew would easily disappear on a summer afternoon. Overall, a great brew and the orange peel works great without being overpowering. Will be buying more of this one.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.61/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sofie from Goose Island Beer Co.