1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sofie - Goose Island Beer Co.

SofieSofie

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

80% Belgian Style Ale, 20% Belgian Style Ale aged in wine barrels with citrus peel. Champagne color, white pepper aroma, citrus & vanilla flavor, sparkling body.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-29-2009)
View: Beers (269) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,679 | Reviews: 859 | Show All Ratings:
beer-to-relax

Connecticut

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

2012 sofie. incredible. has a bit of a champagne like mouthfeel and refreshing. drank one on new years and its a great beer. lov goose island beer they make a good product whichever you pull off the shelf. Think I'm gonna leave a couple in the garage awhile and see if they cant get any better with some age. cant say enough about sofie.

01-02-2014 05:20:06 | More by beer-to-relax
RaiseTheBar

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm cheating on my wife with SOFIE! Wow. Great beer. Everything I love in a beer even though it's more a Farmhouse Ale than a Wit/Hef/Belgium where my preferences are centered. I've had both the large format and 12 oz (4 pack). I'm biased towards the large format bottle but that's probably because of the outcome of finishing it vs a small 12 oz! ;-)

04-07-2014 17:02:45 | More by RaiseTheBar
professorninja

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

I got this at a concert with my wife (Crooked Still). After a couple of bourbon and sprites, I split a 22 oz. of Sofie with the lady.

A - I was tipsy, and it was dark, so I can only assume it looked good.

S - It smelled pretty good. Clean, maybe citrusy?

T - The taste was incredible. Sweet, almost bready. It had the tang of a belgian style ale, but it wasn't sour.

M - I'm not a huge fan of this style, I don't like a lot of big bubbles. The feel was good for what it was.

D - Low ABV, so I could see drinking a few of these (I knew I wanted more after the first, but this is a pricey beer).

05-09-2010 20:27:59 | More by professorninja
larryi86

Delaware

12 oz bottle dated 4/23/10 poured into a snifter

A- A hazy bright yellow with a very fluffy 3 finger white head.

S- Earthy spices, oranges, lemons, hints of sour apples and a slightly funky Belgian yeast. Just great and screams drink me!

T- The taste is not as big as the smell. Fruit flavors are noticeable along with the earthy spices, but not dominate. The finish has a hint of a wine flavor and a hint of funk. A nice malt backbone that bring everything together.

M- Nice medium body, crisp, smooth, and very refreshing.

D- Very easy to drink and enjoy. This beer has nice complexity but I could see myself drink as many as 5 or 6 on a hot summer day if I had enough. This is a new favorite that I will be stocking up on!

01-20-2011 01:35:08 | More by larryi86
FernMaster

Missouri

Sofie - Goose Island

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

I haven't reviewed this beer yet? What the hell is wrong with me? I was just sitting, texting, listening to Junip while being in a really pleasant mood as I was drinking this beer and I was wondering what did I rate it at? Apparently nothing, which needs to be remedied.

If the Holy Grail is ever discovered, this should be the first thing ever poured into it. Sorry Angel, not Mountain Dew and sorry Indian Jones for whatever the hell it was, water? Yuck. There's easily a hand's worth of head. Maybe not for people who have man sized hands, for my dainty hands it's easily five fingers. Gorgeous. I meant my hands. Jk. Sofie is a very murky golden dirty blonde color with constant carbonation and decent lacing as well. She's a looker.

The smell, ahahaha. There's this funky rotted floor board smell, like an abandoned farmhouse. Over this rotted funk is a scent of incredible lemon zest, citrusy punch, sort of a pineapple scent. If you were to have sex with a pineapple in the situation that Alison Brie's character in the most recent "Community" episode described (the Dungeons and Dragons one), Sofie would smell like that.

The taste is magnifecent and what really got me pondering on what my previous review was. I'm drinking this a little warm, you should too, maybe a little past 55 degrees and it's perfect there. The lemon comes right up in the front of the taste. Sofie is also very sour, while not being distractingly so, which for me is a quality I love. Shock Tarts are cool, but a whole roll is a challenge. When I was a kid, I don't know if those are still made. They should be. I want some. I said "zest" earlier and that comes through, it's very tangy and delectable.

The mouthfeel of this is nicely carbonated that gives a smidgen of resistance as you drink. I like it. It's a good, firm body to uphold the flavor and it's an all around amazing drink at a very affordable price. I would highly recommend drinking this beer. It's by Goose Island, a brewery I love for their consistent quality. They are part of what makes living in the Midwest great. Find this beer and drink it if you haven't already, or if you're like me, revisit an old friend.

02-08-2011 02:55:00 | More by FernMaster
Eriktheipaman

2010 Bottle

Poured a yellow gold with giant white head.

The smell was of citrus, spicy yeast, and a little bready malt.

Taste was amazing. The orange rhindes give it a citrus dry bitter taste on the back. As the beer warms up the malt shines through like a king. It is hopped in just the right way but this beer and style like the hops taking a back seat.

Great beer!

03-20-2011 15:05:59 | More by Eriktheipaman
Brittanicvs

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah, Sofie! Ma fleur de printemps délicat! I've heard only great things of this beer. I, however, overlooked it during my Saison bender because I could only get it in a 4-pack for more money than I had wished to spend at the time. I muse that was a mistake, because this beer is phenominal.

Serving: Bottle poured into a Tulip.

A- A warm Champagne. Slightly hazy, though that may be due to my poor transportation efforts. Pours a two-finger pure white head comprised of big bubbles that dissipate quickly into a single finger. Bubbles even shooting up the middle of the glass- looks heavily carbonated. Barely any lacing.

S- Wow, I can smell it from 2 feet away. TONS of light citrus and flowers. Almost a little soapy. A shy hint of coriander and spice. Smells like a perfect spring day.

T- Very tart up front, exactly like the smell suggests. Slightly sour, but not overly so. Like a combination of a green apple, a lemon, and a banana. Subtle hint of spice in the finish. Gonna wait for it to warm up a bit and see how it develops.

Getting a little buttery and grassy now. Still incredible. Some very light malt notes coming up.

M- Carbonation dominates. Drinks like a very dry Champagne. Gorgeous. Medium-light body due to the sediment. Exactly what I expected. The dryness prevails as it warms up.

O- Absolutely amazing beer. I'd love to sit down and have a few more, but at $18 for a 4-pack at my local beer store I had to spring for just a single bottle. Definitely the kind of beer I was looking for, and one of the drier Saisons I've had. I would have liked to see a higher ABV to try and get a little bit of booziness and malt sweetness to really make the buttery note shine, but at 6.5% Sofie does a fine job. Might give aging one of these a try.

10-02-2012 00:52:14 | More by Brittanicvs
scoobybrew

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

A - slightly hazy (bottle condition) light straw color, decent head, good retention, nice lacing

S - funky yeasty esters and phenols with an almost wheat like malt; no hop detected, but might be a variety that is well hidden by the yeast

T - tangy malt with slightly funky strong yeast character; hop bitterness noted on finish, but in check; finish is dry and crisp with some of the esters and phenols lingering

M - medium to light body with moderate to high carbonation

D - This is an excellent saison and one of the best commercial examples that I've had this side or that side of the water. Goose Island makes some pretty good 'specials' and this is no exception.

10-19-2010 22:14:29 | More by scoobybrew
hawks10

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

22oz brown bottle - Bottled January 2009 (original batch) - Poured into my oversize Goose Island chalice...

Pours a crisp and clear golden yellow, very carbonated, tons of thick, heavy white head forms and never seems to recede, thanks to the raging stream of bubbles continually rising from the bottom of the glass, chunks of lacing are left...

Wow, intensely "Belgian" in the nose, tons of Belgian yeast spice and a very strong, and unexpected mustiness jumps from the glass into your nose. Lemon, orange and banana add a nice citrus twist and fruity sweetness. But this one keeps going back to the spice and funk, which are both strong aspects of the smell of this beer. Complex and perfectly balanced, two years spent in the bottle have made this beer a perfect 5.0 for smell, when consumed at the 6-month and 1-year age, this beer was a 4.0 smell at best, incredible what the extra year has done...

The first sip hits you pretty hard with some citrus/lemon tartness. Almost (but still far behind...) Fantome-esque. After a couple sips, the beer becomes quite dry. Incredibly musty with a good bit of funk, this may be the best "Belgian Style" Saison brewed in America. Subtle spicing (which is great, cause so many Saisons are way overspiced IMO), earthy and slightly herbal. Surprisingly, there is a bit of alcohol heat after a while. Finishes juicy and sweet. Like the nose, complex, balanced, wonderful...

Medium bodied with fairly active carbonation. Beer becomes much sweeter as it warms and that sweetness tends to linger a bit past the finish...

I have always been a fan of Sofie, but cracking this 2 year old bottle today was like my first time drinking it. The age did tremendous things to the aroma and flavor. Adding complexity, intensifying the musty/funky character of the beer and somewhat subduing the slightly over-sweet flavors of a fresh Sofie.

12-24-2010 02:03:13 | More by hawks10
loren01

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Pours into St. Bernardus goblet a bubbly straw color, good lacing down the glass.
S: Smells of Belgian yeast, lemon zest and flowers
T: Taste is real sweet and fruity. Apples, pear and lemmony. Nice Belgian yeast flavor in there as well
M: Little bit prickly on the tongue, light to medium bodied
D: This style usually isn't my cup of tea but this is an excellent beer, would buy this again.

03-14-2011 00:38:05 | More by loren01
JaredKent

Rhode Island

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: Lightly golden in color, considerably hazy. Pours a nice white head that is about an fingers width. This definitely sticks around for quite a bit.

Scent: I get quite a bit of clove up front with a bit of the orange peel. The clove aroma reminds me the minty characteristics of birch beer, which I absolutely love. I dont get too much from the wine barrels, but there is definitely something complex about this beer, something I just can't place my finger on.

Taste: Lots of flavors coming right out of the gate. Again I get clove and orange peel. The typical funk associated with Belgian yeast strains is present, but very mildly. The oak wine barrels do a great job smoothing this out. The flavors of the wheat and the citrus are all tied together with the oak. Luckily the oak doesn't overpower this light beer, it's just present enough to bring it all in.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and easy to drink with a light body. The carbonation is prominent which I expect from a good Belgian Wit.

Overall: Goose Island has succeeded in take the simple Belgian Wit and turned it into something more complex and interesting. The spice combination in addition to the oak aging in wine barrels really adds new flavors unseen in many other beers of this style.

05-19-2012 01:09:07 | More by JaredKent
matthewsteven

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

22oz 2009 bottle poured into a tulip glass at a french place in Chicago.

Appearance- Cloudy, lemon yellow with a small, lasting head.

Smell- earthy, cut-grass smell with some lemon zest and a bit of spice at the end of the nose.

Taste- clean, a bit spicy, with big grapefruit and lemon flavors, refreshing and light.

mouthfeel- very lively carbonation, a pretty active beer.

drinkability- very clean, bubbly beer, refreshing and fruity. made for a very good contrast to the peppercorn steak i had for dinner. quite enjoyable.

overall, i was pretty impressed. i'd been wanting to try this one for awhile, but i couldn't seem to find it. it was a bit on the pricey side ($11) so hard to justify a second one at the time, but the next time i see this on a beer list i'll be sure to have it again.

01-23-2010 05:07:46 | More by matthewsteven
innersanctum

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

In college there was a Sophie who was a gorgeous blonde Belgian with green eyes, much like this bottle. Could I tell you a tale on how well she went down, but hey, this Sophie is named after the brewmaster's daughter. Rule #1, do not piss off the brewmaster! Rule #2, compliment the brewmaster when he's done an exceptional job.

Case in point with rule #2, Goose Island has come to the table - quite literally - with this delicious crisp Belgian. Sophie proliferates with tight Champagne like bubbles, and has a mouthfull of light and crisp sweetness.

Apparently the Goose has released some more on tap and its just as enjoyable as this bomber.

07-19-2010 21:45:15 | More by innersanctum
sitarist

2009 Vintage.

Pours a cloudy, pale golden, yellow color...There are bubbles of all sizes rising up (some slow some fast) to an enormous frothy white head...a soft pour yields a half glass of head that seems to grow...it takes its time falling leaving webs of lacing.

I smell orange, candy cigarettes, vanilla, puppy breath, and a faint medicinal scent...It is sweet/candy-like and musky with an effervescent quality...It begs to be tasted.

I taste banana, orange, pineapple, pepper, and vanilla with just a hint of da funk...the flavors are blended/balanced very well and nothing seems to dominate the taste...its like a well made desert.

Very soft on my tongue...lighter body with a long lasting finish.

For me this beer is perfectly balanced and a pleasure to drink...My only complaint is the time it takes for the head to fall enough so I can take a drink.

09-14-2010 01:23:42 | More by sitarist
Guden

Maryland

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

A- A very cloudy golden blond with no head to speak of.

S- Pineapple, sour apple and damp wood flavors all come through. A little malty and a little fruity, nice blend.

T- Tangy pineapple blends with light bready malt before giving way to some of the grainy malt and wood from the nose.

M- Light body and carbonation, this feels like a typical saison (though a bit lighter in carbonation) and suits the flavors well.

O- This is a great beer up there with some of the better Brett beers I have had and among the best saisons as well.

10-15-2012 03:20:23 | More by Guden
take_it_sleazy

Vermont

4.61/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into Good Nature snifter. Love the bottle, very classy.

A: hay color with consistant carbonation running up the glass. Very minimal head that disappears quickly leaving behind spotty, lily pad like spots of lace resting on top of the beer.

S: first think I recognized was a barnyard funk smell other reviewers have mentioned. Hints of citrus and malt as well.

T: surprised that the barnyard funk I picked up instantely earlier wasn't as present in the taste. Still, a very crisp and refreshing blend of orange, lemon, and malt notes. No booziness sometimes present in this style.

M: medium body with lots of carbonation.

O: would definitely try again in the future. Pretty interesting considering te nose and taste didnt line up. Not a negative thing, however, as I enjoyed the uniqueness of this one.

06-24-2013 20:09:05 | More by take_it_sleazy
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly hazy but bright golden with a thin bubbly white head leaving behind a ring of white foam.

S - Perfumey and almost floral orange and lemon zest, a touch of funk, white pepper and grassy hops.

T - Complex. Very light tartness/funk, one of the best orange/lemon zest combos of flavor I have tasted, spicy white pepper, slight wine like flavors add complexity and a touch of sweet pils and wheat malt.

M - Light, effervescent and creamy all at the same time. A touch of sweetness with a tart drying finish.

D - I am guessing this is Matilda with orange peel aged in wine barrels. Almost like a skilled blender mixed Matilda and a Wit into a complex wonderful beer. Very enjoyable.

04-05-2009 22:42:23 | More by brewcrew76
shortysdude285

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light hue with a good amount of carbonation. Head is present due to a good amount of carbonation. Bubbles rising similar to champagne.

Smell is fresh, slightly floral and oh so refreshing

Taste is great, hit the Belgian taste nail right on the head

I could drink a lot more of this if I had it. It just became available in California last week so hopefully I'll be seeing more of it around.

05-10-2010 06:28:48 | More by shortysdude285
generallee

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured into from a brown 1pt 6oz bottle into a tulip glass. The label has a "bottled July 17" date and an ABV of 6.5%.

Appearance: The body is light and hazy with a bright straw yellow color when held up to the light. The head on top is tall fluffy. It quickly settles down to a tighter half inch cap of foam that hangs on well and makes some spotty lacing.

Smell: In the nose I pick up notes of funky yeast, sweet fruity candy and faint citrus with some light spicy phenol as well. The aroma here is lovely and just pulled me in.

Taste/Palate: On the tongue the sweet fruity candy like notes meet the dry funk of the yeast as well as the mild phenol spice and pale wheat like malt. The balance here is just on the dry side and in the finish it adds just a touch of tart citrus and hop bitterness which yields one heck of a refreshing and modestly complex brew.

Notes: I am really into this beer which for me seems to blur the lines between the Witt Bier and the Saison/Farmhouse styles.

09-22-2010 15:48:38 | More by generallee
ElizabethCraig

Indiana

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This took the place of Saison Dupont at my favorite bar. I've enjoyed various Saisons lately so when my husband saw this was a Saison his words to me were "Get. It. Now."

Appearance: Pale yellow, cloudy with a very white head. Retained the head fairly well.

Body: Medium bodied

Scent/Taste: Light. Sweet banana and grapefruit. A small amount of cinnamon spice.

I'll have to do more reading and tasting of this style, I really enjoyed this beer.

(I took what I consider adequate notes on my tasting, but frankly I was busy enjoying this with (near the end of the glass) bacon wrapped dates.)

06-29-2011 11:32:13 | More by ElizabethCraig
Crundy

This was bottled in November 2011

A: Hazy straw, orange-yellow color, frothy white head, no lacing to speak of.

S: very floral and a pleasant orange aroma, distinct yeast and a slight malt presence.

T: Very delicious, the orange and yeast flavors are prominent, there is a subtle maltiness to it and a barely noticeable hop bitterness.

M: Well carbonated, light bodied and quite refreshing. very subtle aftertaste, sort of a yeast sweetness.

O: very delicious beer, my first saison and I'm glad its from Goose Island. Shared it with my girlfriend and she very much enjoyed it as well. I've found a keeper.

03-01-2012 01:13:12 | More by Crundy
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%

22oz bottle purchased at Market Basket in Somersworth. Pours a hazy blonde-yellow with a half inch of white head. Pineapple, pear, lemon, and grapefruit comprise the aroma. Pear, pineapple, apple skin, orange zest, lemon all share the flavor pretty evenly and to amazing effect. Light bodied and effervescent. Dangerously drinkable.

Wow. This beer is amazing. Easily one of the best - if not the best - examples of the style I have ever encountered. Excellent. Definitely buying this one again. Slam dunk for Goose Island! Glad to have them in our area finally.

08-26-2012 23:22:22 | More by MrHurmateeowish
kpclemens

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured 12 oz bottle into Belgian glass..

A - A clear golden with a bright white fluffy head. About a finger and a half.

S - Kind of funky from the yeast. a little bit of citrus.

T - Taste that yeast with the white pepper undertones. Then followed by a small lemon citrus bite and some tang. Not much for big flavors here but overall a highly drinkable one

M - Light and smooth

O - This is a really refreshing beer. Very nice take on the style. Really light and smooth and it tastes great. you should buy it.

12-22-2012 02:14:20 | More by kpclemens
alaimoa

Connecticut

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: golden with rolling bubbles well after the pour with an inch of head that dissipates quickly leaving almost no lace
S: wonderful smell with citrus, sour grapes, wine oak barrel
T: slight sour wine and fruit in the front with a nie dry finish.. Wasn't expecting the strong wine barrel notes to come through as nicely as they have
M: medium in thickness with a nice carb
Overall really impressed for a shelf find with phenomenal wine barrel notes and a bit of fruity sourness

08-25-2013 20:46:03 | More by alaimoa
a0lbudman

Alabama

4.59/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle dated July 18,2013
A-straw couldy color with a white foam that goes slowly
S-citus, hay, and wine
T-grapefruit, orange taste with a little wine aftertaste, and a some spice at the end along with a dry finish
M-a smooth carbonation feel
O-outstanding beer that has you liking the differant things you feel and taste.

10-14-2013 23:40:18 | More by a0lbudman
Sofie from Goose Island Beer Co.