Sofie - Goose Island Beer Co.

SofieSofie

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-29-2009

80% Belgian Style Ale, 20% Belgian Style Ale aged in wine barrels with citrus peel. Champagne color, white pepper aroma, citrus & vanilla flavor, sparkling body.
Ratings: 3,871 | Reviews: 1,002
3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Goose Island Sofie has a medium, white head, a yellow-gold, quite bubbly appearance, with powdery sediment and minimal lacing. The aroma is of brettanomyces yeast, lemon, light wheat and barley, and sweetness. Taste is of the same elements, with noticeable, yet mild, bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Goose Island Sofie finishes champagne-like and drinkable.

RJT

3.89/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This lightly cloudy, highly effervescent, and light yellow ale poured with a nice and airy head. Very aromatic with floral and citrus notes on the nose. Upfront there are some nice and bread-like flavors combined with some fruity and banana-apple-estery yeast flavors. Very smooth wheat beer feel and leaves a softly bitter tinge of citrus hops on the palate.

Very nice and quite different from other saison/farmhouse style ales I have had. I originally was turned off by the bottles wine-like appearance, but I am glad I tried it. I was having some strong cravings for a saison and this was the closest and only option in stock at a Ralphs here in San Diego, hidden behind the plentiful variety of California IPAs.

I can't really knock this beer because I can't detect anything at fault. This is a really well executed and good beer, without a doubt. I am a little surprised this beer is rated as high as it is though because--while it is good--my mind was not blown as it has been for other beers ranked as well as this one.

I would buy this again if I were going out to a friends house for lunch, or maybe out to a picnic. It would pair excellently with chicken or a salad. Very refreshing.

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%

This is like a Blue Moon on crack. Awesome! Great beer during the summer for a cook- out and served out of their bomber or 4-pack 12-oz bottles. Distributed by Goose, it is distributed to the masses all year... makes it easy to get your hands on when you want it (except the 4-packs get a little rare during the fall/winter). A super go- to for all types of tastes and preferences.

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Review review review Review Review

4.71/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Light, tart, sparkling, peppery, excellent mouth feel. Amazing Belgian farmhouse

Nothing more refreshing than coming home after a long day to a nice, cold Sofie.

This is an exceptionally excellent Saison that seems to skirt the line between beer and wine. If you do not believe me, please try for yourself. There are notes of citrus, light wheat, grapes, semi sweet white wine, and hints of pepper here. This is very light for the ABV content it is said to have. Owned by AB/Inbev or not, this is an outstanding beer.

Would absolutely seek out and purchase again.

4.36/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Exceptionally tart and crisp; a bright and excellent example of a farmhouse ale

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to goblet.

A: Hazy pale yellow, with a white 1 in. head.
S: Orange zest, lemongrass, peppercorn, dill, and olive brine.
T: A lot of lemon/orange flavors, with a bit of spicy yeast qualities that add character to the fruit. Finishes crisp.
M: Light to medium. Creamy.
O: Not a bad saison. A bit too fruity for me.

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great body, nice example of the farmhouse style

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Cloudy and light froth. Good rendition of style. A bit more bread/yeast flavor would be nice but that's personal preference. Lasting spice on the pallette. Amazing no see of citrus.

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A really good Saison style, with big bursting flavors.

4.96/5  rDev +21%

Great saison with nice subtle flavors

4.41/5  rDev +7.6%

Light and refreshing. Could be more bitter but the finish is smooth and upfront it has some bite. I recommend buying a few and putting one away for a year or 2. I just open a January 2013 and it's smoother and orange-citrusy notes really come through over time.

4.71/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle date of 2/13/2014. Sampled on 8/16/2014, when bottle was 6 months old.

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

765ml bottle.

Yellow, white head that fully diminishes.

Dry, fruity, very white wine like. Some apple, grape, banana. Very little bitterness.

This is a great introductory beer for the white wine drinker.

3.65/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I loved Matilda so I thought that by all the great reviews that I'd love Sofie since I love me some Belgian style beers. I was very confused by this beer. I poured it into a glass and the beer looked incredibly light looking, I tasted the beer and it tasted incredibly light (like watered down), and thus I was disappointed. I bought a 4 pack so I'll definitely be drinking it all but I'm not a fan of this one. Their beer called Matilda on the other hand was awesome. I'm not sure if they encourage aging this beer but that's what I'll be doing since as it is, it just isn't special. Maybe with time it gets better? idk.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a hazy golden straw color with a thick white head that settles quickly.
S - Yeasty with banana
T - Flavor follows nose - yeasty, banana, citrus, slight peppery finish.
M - Medium mouth feel, nice carbonation.
O - Others mention the wine influence but I don't drink wine so I don't pick any of that up. Very good saison, looking forward to the other 3 bottles from this 4-pack.

3.06/5  rDev -25.4%

Too much like a chardonnay for my taste. I'm not a huge fan of Belgian yeast, nor the compliment it provides to any measure of citrus character. Faint, and I mean very faint, hints of vanilla hit the very back end of the tongue. It looks really nice in the glass, but beyond that, not something I'll be seeking out again. Sorry for the one night stand, Sofie!

3.2/5  rDev -22%

Not a big fan, this beer looked better then it tasted.

Was told it was a sour. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers... it's a wheat beer.

A slightly complicated beer, but worth trying.

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Favorite beer by far as is 1/16/2015, can't find it yet here in Maine, but I know a few distributors that can order it for me.

3.39/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Crisp and clean, but still watered down taste.

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As a dark beer fan, I didn't know how I would feel about this, but it really did deliver. Right off the bat you get the citrus aroma and the beautiful bubbly head. On first taste, you immediately detect the wine notes, which are beautifully balanced in the mix. I really loved this beer, and I don't love a lot of lighter beers.

Sofie from Goose Island Beer Co.