21st Amendment - Goose Island Beer Co.

21st Amendment
No picture uploaded.

pDev: 1%
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  3.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 04-27-2009)
brandoman63

11-30-2011 03:32:16 | More by brandoman63
Thorpe429

3.98/5  rDev -1%

A: Very pale bronze with pretty good clarity and a white head.

S: Faint hops with a bit of bitterness. Some pale malt underneath.

T: Somewhat toward the ESB taste profile with the taste of some fresh-harvested hops--although these are not at all overdone.

M: Light-to-medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Some slight hop oils.

D: Very low in alcohol; a good session beer. Not too bitter, but not too light.

04-27-2009 03:05:20 | More by Thorpe429
mynie

Indiana

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Being the history whiz that I am, I could have sworn that the amendment repealing prohibition came immediately after the one imposing it. Since prohibition was established with the 18th amendment, then, I thought it was repealed with the 19th, and I thought that the 21st was for women's suffrage. Turns out I had things mixed around and so a rather simple alcohol reference was lost on me. I asked the bartender what was up. I came up not knowing what prohibition was, and I was also decked out in Cubs gear, and so the bartender must have assumed I was an idiot. He took great care not to say anything that might confuse me.

"What style is it?"

"It's--uhh, really light. Crisp, refreshing."

"O-kay? What style?"

"It's uhh, dark. It's an ale."

So hooray. Mystery beer. Gotta try the cask selection at GI, though.

After asking another bartender I found out this was a prohibition ale. Not a pre-prohibition ale. This one is from prohibition, like they must have served it in speakeasies or whatever. It must have fairly easy to brew, then, and could have been made with ingredients that could be grown within the continental US. All the GI website says it that it's got low-alcohol.

Pours like California common. Very pretty. Impressive head, filtered coruscating yellowrust. These guys could teach classes on how to cask pour.

Smells like a cross between a common and a kolsch. Medium bitter malt, dry hop profile. Huge cereal grain, good caramel sweetness. Nice balance but a little too light for my liking.

Tastes like it smells only a wee bit more intense. Robust and light, medium grain and dryly bitter hops.

04-19-2009 15:39:25 | More by mynie
21st Amendment from Goose Island Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.