Madame Rose - Goose Island Beer Co.

Madame RoseMadame Rose

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.10% ABV

Brown Ale aged in French oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels with the addition of Michigan cherries and heavily inoculated with Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: botham on 08-19-2009)
alexm1309

Iowa

05-11-2014 17:07:09 | More by Herky21
GreesyFizeek

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle shared by Mike at Bob's tasting.

Pours out a clear reddish-brown, with a one inch fizzy head, and a little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells like sour, tangy cherries, some funk, and acidic vinegar.

The taste is along the same lines. Very, very sour, but it's manageable, due to slight sweetness from the cherries. However, the cherries also provide a lot of sourness of their own, very tart. Lots of lactic acid, with a little bit of vanilla and oak noted near the back of each sip.

Light to medium bodied, with a great mouthfeel- the sourness lingers nicely on the lips throughout drinking this one. High carbonation.

Another great sour. Sours have never been my thing, but fortunately due to some generous folks, I'm diving right in and trying some of the best on the market.

05-11-2014 15:56:35 | More by GreesyFizeek
Axnjxn

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%

750ml bottle into a tulip

pours a dark murky reddish brown. smell of black cherries, slight tartness. taste is a tad tart, massive black cherries, slightly high carbonation, deep rich flavor. damn impressive and much better than previous batches. mild body. so drinkable.

overall super expensive but worth it .

05-10-2014 23:25:32 | More by Axnjxn

1.75/5  rDev -57.9%

05-06-2014 20:42:48 | More by Beershack
StoutHunter

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%

I got a bottle of Goose Island's Madame Rose in a trade with @MottoZappa, Thanks! It looks like this will be my 900th review and I thought It would be a good time to give this beer a try, I've been wanting to try this beer for awhile and I have some high expectations, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage bottled on 7/31/2012 1009. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a tulip since it was the closes thing I had to the glass that suggested.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice clean and classy look to it just like the other beers in this Belgian series, but I think this just be my favorite looking one. It poured a hazy brown almost mahogany color that took on more of a crimson hue when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of bubbly off white/light tan head that died down to a thin bubbly ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I like the color, but i wish it had better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a medium amount of sourness being the first to show up along with a nice fruity aroma with tart cherrys seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some funky yeast aromas that are pretty brett like and they impart some wet hay, horse blanket and barn yard like aromas. Up next comes the malts that make it a little flanders red like and they impart some caramel and sweet malt aromas with some oak and little woody aromas showing up towards the end. This beer had a very good aroma, it had a good amount of complexity to it, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some nice fruity flavors being the first to show up and it imparts some great tart cherry flavors with some fruity flavors in the background and it lead directly into a higher amount of medium sourness that is right on the border of being very sour. Up next comes that funky yeast that imparts the same aspects that they did in aroma and they still seem to be pretty Brett like imparting some nice funky barnyard flavors. Up next just a little bit of that malty aspect that I got in the aroma, followed by a little more oaky and woody aromas than I got in the aroma. On the finish there's some lingering sourness followed by fruity, tart cherry, and funky yeast like aftertaste. This was a very good tasting beer, it had just the right amount of complexity to it and it was right on the edge of being very sour.

M- Fairly smooth, sour, a little mouth puckering, not too acidic, pretty crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of high carbonation. This beer has a very nice mouthfeel that worked very well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I thought this was a great example of a Sour or American Wild Ale, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style, it was pretty sour, but it didn't seem too acidic and the complexity kept me coming back for more. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little mouth puckering, not too acidic, pretty crisp, not too filling and the taste did a great job of holding my attention, it was sour, but the flavors kept me coming back for more and I think this would be an awesome beer to enjoy on a nice summer afternoon, I think one bottle would be my limit and it's a good beer to split, but it tastes so good I'll have no problem drinking the whole bottle. What I like the most about this beer was the how true to style and complex it was, it's just what I want in a good sour. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad, but the head and lacing could have been a little better, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I would for sure buy this beer, I will be trying hard to track down some of the new batch and I would love to try this fresh and have a couple for the cellar. I highly recommend trying this beer if you like tart and sour beers, I think it's a must try and I'm glad a friend recommended it to me, thanks Ben. All in all I was very happy with this beer and I was also a little impressed, this is one well crafted beer and it really came through in almost all aspects of this beer. I'm glad I traded for this beer and so far I think it's right up there with Juliet and Lolita as my favorites from this series ans it's up there as one of the best sours I've had so far. This made for a great beer to mark 900 reviews and somehow I'm going to have to find a way to go even bigger for my 1000th review. Great job guys, this was one fantastic beer, keep up the awesome work.

05-05-2014 03:55:22 | More by StoutHunter

DIPAFAN

05-02-2014 20:45:55 | More by DIPAFAN
dleiner

05-02-2014 20:45:38 | More by dleiner
Madame Rose from Goose Island Beer Co.