Madame Rose - Goose Island Beer Co.

Madame RoseMadame Rose

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.10% ABV

Beer added by: botham on 08-19-2009

Brown Ale aged in French oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels with the addition of Michigan cherries and heavily inoculated with Brettanomyces.
Ratings: 1,192 | Reviews: 233
4.09/5  rDev -1.9%

2014 Vintage. A murky brown appearance, capped with a quickly fading head. Some wisps of lacing left behind. This, and Oud Bruins in general, don't pack much in the looks dept., but the other senses are in for a treat. The aroma is super-funky, and I mean that in a good way. Earthy, musty, leathery at first. Tons of Brett character. Then the cherries come in, more subtly, sweet and tart but not at all artificial-tasting. An omnipresent tartness, like lemon juice, is woven in. Minimal lacto sourness seems to be there, too.

Flavor is dry and quite tart. I wouldn't really call it sour, nor do I really enjoy "sour Sours." It's well short of sour Warheads candy, for reference. Citric tartness, Band-aid funk, ripe, yet still tart, cherry. Despite being a young bottle, the fruit character isn't all that prevalent. Fizzy, slick texture, coating the throat a bit. Carbonation level seems just right, the bubbles themselves a bit prickly.

At over $25 a bottle, I found this to be quite good but not necessarily worth the money. The aroma is great, but I wanted more "layers" in the flavor profile, like more fruit and Belgian brown characteristics.

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22oz Bomber
$14.99
Herman's Package Store

Bottled: 7/31/12

Madame Rose pours rusty red getting darker as it fills the glass finally becoming the color of aged mahogany, bordering black. There's no seeing through this guy. A wispy, short lived head of beige forms on the pour before crackling down to a thin ring that leaves a small patch or two along the glass with each drink.

The nose has me salivating wildly. Balsamic vinegar acidity hits immediately and is met with handfuls of whole tart cherries, skin, seeds, stems and all. Damp oak adds depth and a touch of earthiness, forest floor like, and vinous notes. There's an undercurrent of minerality; wet stones, iron, some rust perhaps. There is depth and mouthwatering acidity.

The cherries have faded a bit over the last two years but they hit with a tannic tartness upfront, pit and stems. The middle brings balsamic vinegar that's softer than the nose suggested along with that mineralistic funk I mentioned above. Sweeter cherries, along the lines of Rainier, pop up on the backend and produce a give and take with the sweet and sour. Very nice!

Airy and effervescent is how the body should be on a beer of this type. Goose nailed it. The weight is on the low side of the spectrum while highly active, short of prickly, carbonation creates a Belgian-esque frothiness. The tart is enough to cause a pucker while tannins dry you out in a hurry, making it tough to set the glass down. If heartburn doesn't catch up with you the drinkability is way up there.

Madame Rose has always been my favorite in the stable of Goose Island's wild beers, and there are some good ones. The cherries delicious, the acetic acid just right, oak and funk hit the spot, and it simply has class. Great with age, great fresh, either way I dig it.

"Can you dig it?"

-Cyrus

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle shared by Mike at Bob's tasting.

Pours out a clear reddish-brown, with a one inch fizzy head, and a little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells like sour, tangy cherries, some funk, and acidic vinegar.

The taste is along the same lines. Very, very sour, but it's manageable, due to slight sweetness from the cherries. However, the cherries also provide a lot of sourness of their own, very tart. Lots of lactic acid, with a little bit of vanilla and oak noted near the back of each sip.

Light to medium bodied, with a great mouthfeel- the sourness lingers nicely on the lips throughout drinking this one. High carbonation.

Another great sour. Sours have never been my thing, but fortunately due to some generous folks, I'm diving right in and trying some of the best on the market.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle into a tulip

pours a dark murky reddish brown. smell of black cherries, slight tartness. taste is a tad tart, massive black cherries, slightly high carbonation, deep rich flavor. damn impressive and much better than previous batches. mild body. so drinkable.

overall super expensive but worth it .

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Goose Island's Madame Rose in a trade with @MottoZappa, Thanks! It looks like this will be my 900th review and I thought It would be a good time to give this beer a try, I've been wanting to try this beer for awhile and I have some high expectations, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage bottled on 7/31/2012 1009. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a tulip since it was the closes thing I had to the glass that suggested.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice clean and classy look to it just like the other beers in this Belgian series, but I think this just be my favorite looking one. It poured a hazy brown almost mahogany color that took on more of a crimson hue when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of bubbly off white/light tan head that died down to a thin bubbly ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I like the color, but i wish it had better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a medium amount of sourness being the first to show up along with a nice fruity aroma with tart cherrys seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some funky yeast aromas that are pretty brett like and they impart some wet hay, horse blanket and barn yard like aromas. Up next comes the malts that make it a little flanders red like and they impart some caramel and sweet malt aromas with some oak and little woody aromas showing up towards the end. This beer had a very good aroma, it had a good amount of complexity to it, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some nice fruity flavors being the first to show up and it imparts some great tart cherry flavors with some fruity flavors in the background and it lead directly into a higher amount of medium sourness that is right on the border of being very sour. Up next comes that funky yeast that imparts the same aspects that they did in aroma and they still seem to be pretty Brett like imparting some nice funky barnyard flavors. Up next just a little bit of that malty aspect that I got in the aroma, followed by a little more oaky and woody aromas than I got in the aroma. On the finish there's some lingering sourness followed by fruity, tart cherry, and funky yeast like aftertaste. This was a very good tasting beer, it had just the right amount of complexity to it and it was right on the edge of being very sour.

M- Fairly smooth, sour, a little mouth puckering, not too acidic, pretty crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of high carbonation. This beer has a very nice mouthfeel that worked very well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I thought this was a great example of a Sour or American Wild Ale, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style, it was pretty sour, but it didn't seem too acidic and the complexity kept me coming back for more. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little mouth puckering, not too acidic, pretty crisp, not too filling and the taste did a great job of holding my attention, it was sour, but the flavors kept me coming back for more and I think this would be an awesome beer to enjoy on a nice summer afternoon, I think one bottle would be my limit and it's a good beer to split, but it tastes so good I'll have no problem drinking the whole bottle. What I like the most about this beer was the how true to style and complex it was, it's just what I want in a good sour. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad, but the head and lacing could have been a little better, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I would for sure buy this beer, I will be trying hard to track down some of the new batch and I would love to try this fresh and have a couple for the cellar. I highly recommend trying this beer if you like tart and sour beers, I think it's a must try and I'm glad a friend recommended it to me, thanks Ben. All in all I was very happy with this beer and I was also a little impressed, this is one well crafted beer and it really came through in almost all aspects of this beer. I'm glad I traded for this beer and so far I think it's right up there with Juliet and Lolita as my favorites from this series ans it's up there as one of the best sours I've had so far. This made for a great beer to mark 900 reviews and somehow I'm going to have to find a way to go even bigger for my 1000th review. Great job guys, this was one fantastic beer, keep up the awesome work.

3.92/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

"Vintage" 2012 bottled 7/31/12

Hazy brown with head quickly reducing to white ring with lacing on the glass. Wonderful deep sweet cherry on the nose with some honey, oak, malt, and vinegar. Tastes of sweet malts and dark fruit up front with a heavy dose of vinegar amplified by the prickly carbonation. The finish is dry and heavy on the oak; slightly tannic. Carbonation is active at first then falls a bit flat as the beer warms.

I'd like to try this one fresher. I feel that the fruit has fallen off and there is some oxidation. There is also more acetic acid than I prefer (probably common for the style). The finish is a little short and mouthfeel a bit thin. However, the beer is very enjoyable and a decent representation of the style. The balance of sweet and sour is excellent and it is very sessionable. This one is worth a try but if you are saving this I would drink it now.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

This seemed like it would be a relevant beer for Valentines day. Bottled 7/31/12. Oh yeah and a big thanks to mmulebarn for this one so I don't have to crack my 2010 version anytime soon.

Pours a very small fizzy head that runs away almost instantly, like a very sour and highly acidic or high abv beer, super dark murky molasses brown beer.

Nose is awesome, a great mix of a soured brown malt, mild malt vinegar bite, with some acidic notes, a mild creamy caramel like aroma too adding to the sour mash malt vinegar notes, then a nice deep cherry note under that, like a dark cherry juice and a little fleshy cherry, with a nice sour funky souring bacteria mix with nice funk, and rounding all that is quite a nice barrel aroma, toasted and vanilla oak with a little buttery note, with a mild vinous touch.

Taste starts with lots more souring flavors, soured mash of a nice brown malt, little dark caramel like flavor and little syrupy note, etc, and mix of fresh caramel into it with the soured version. Then a nice cherry, fresh dark cherry juice and flesh blended with a bit of a balotin cherry almost cough syrupy sticky taste, but more of the fresh sour cherry. A big acidic bite as well, followed with some malt vinegar but not too much of all that, with a nice blend of souring bacteria funk. Then again comes the barrel, not a ton of barrel but enough, little toasty and buttery, little vanilla, and mild very mild vinous notes. Finish is sticky a little syrupy and flemmy, bit more acidic bite, more dark cherry and sour cherry notes, more malt vinegar and souring bacteria lingering.

Mouth is med bod but a bit syrupy, nice acidic bite, decent carb for a sour.

Overall pretty nice, great souring bacteria mix, nice dark soured malts blended with a fresher malt, nice balance of the malt vinegar and regular malt flavors with nice cherry, and a great barrel balance and flavor. Very tasty.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 7-31-12 and poured into a Goose Island wine glass.

A- Pours a deep, hazy, and effervescent brown. The color of the body is fairly deep brown with some good red tones in it too. A small head forms, but doesn't stick around long or lace much. Lots of continuous carbonation rising in the glass.

S- This beer is slightly tart, a little fruit, and fairly funky in the scent department. The cherries are definitely evident in both their tartness and fruitiness. Tart flavors are also there with some noticeable wine barrel influence. The funky smell is both musty and yeasty, with the Brett definitely making its presence known. Overall, the scent is very complex, but less tart than expected, probably due to age.

T- Starts funky and musty, with some yeast flavors, as well as the Brett flavors, which display lots of farmhouse qualities. Tart and slightly sour flavors take over in the middle of the drink, with a balance between sour cherry flavors and lactic acidic sour flavors. Just a hint of wine barrel in there towards the middle and end, resulting in a somewhat dry flavor. Ends with a slight tart flavor and return of the funk in the lingering aftertaste.

M- This beer is highly carbonated and fairly easy to drink. Yeasty feel thickens this one up a little bit. Normally the style would be tart enough to affect the ease of drinking, but the Brett and age of this one mellow that out.

Overall, a very, very good, not so sour, sour style beer. The cherries and Brett combine to provide a very unique flavor profile for the style. I think this one was probably more tart and sour when it was fresh, but by no means has this beer dropped off, it's just aged gracefully.

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle (2012 vintage) into a tulip. From notes.

A: Pours a dark brown color, and surprisingly, it's somewhat clear. There's an off-white colored head that's less than a finger, and even worse, retains poorly. The clarity helps give it some aesthetic appeal, though.

S: Sour cherries. The cherries haven't faded away entirely with age, either. Unfortunately, there isn't much else, but the singular note provided is so wonderful that I don't care.

T: The palate is first hit with some cherry sweetness. A tart bite quickly envelops the tongue shortly after, yet shows enough restraint not to overwhelm the flavor profile. The finish is nice and tannic. While lacking depth, it displays its few notes well enough to be quite enjoyable.

M: This is superbly clean for the style. Because it's so dry and well carbonated, it makes it very easy to drink. Hell, I'll even call it chuggable. Oak tannins don't dry it out to the point of excessive harshness, either.

O: Too simple to be a world-class offering, but this still hits the sour taste buds like a champ. I imagine this would be more balanced (read: more cherry-forward) fresh; I'd certainly buy it again to find out.

3.74/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2012

The red mahogany color held a dingy murky cloud. The head was sprite and alive with a pinkish hue and a short life span.

The aroma is quite sour and tart with cherry sweetness and a bit of wine like alcohols.

The flavors are tart as well with a tangy cherry, some coconut, oakey barrel qualities, wine and hints of booze.

The feel was sour, tart and tangy but far too astringent for my liking.

Good example of the style but nothing really jumped up a grabbed a hold of me.

4.64/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

the best oud bruin ive ever had, if we can even fairly call it that, and easily the most enjoyable brew from goose island for me, including a few bourbon county variants. special beer here. more red than brown in color, fairly light and see through, with soda like carbonation and an inch or less of off white fizz head. the nose on this is awesome, bretty, as funky as it is sour, the cherries are authentic but not too sweet, the base beer is true to style, and the cabernet barrels have left their mark with a fruity tannic kick. i also smell something uniquely floral, vegetal flowers, lush and in bloom. the flavor of this beer blew me away, my favorite in a long lineup of excellent beers. i do get the oud bruin malt profile, but its dressed up in tart cherries as bright as day, and mellowed with a refined oak profile that includes vanilla and all kinds of brett charcter. its sour sure, but not too acidic like some can be. its only a gentle sour, drying but not burning, elegant beer. i also get the floral thing in the flavor, like biting the head off a fresh bright red tulip, its vibrant and wet and the embodiment of captured sunlight. this beer is so complex, so layered, so intricately put together that its bringing me all the way back to the first time i had consecration. im not sure i have been as impressed with a beer since. i could not imagine a better flavor profile or feel. the cherries, the brett, the cab barrels, its all so well done. i will remember this bottle fondly for a long time, and eagerly await the opportunity to drink another one. this was the last in a night of maybe 25 beers, and it was so darn good it made me sober. mind blown.

2.84/5  rDev -31.9%

Bottled on 7/31/12. Served on 12/15/13 at about 50°F.

A - Deep copper brown color with a cloudy body that allows small amounts of light through around its edges. There's almost no head even after a vigorous pour, but a nice foamy ring sits around the edge of the glass. Looks moderately carbonated.

S - A fruity citric aroma with hints of vinegar, oak, and a little bit of caramel. It's your typical sour scent.

T - I'm not sure if it's due to age, but it's not as flavorful as I was expecting. It's very watery - almost like seltzer water, so there's plenty of room for more flavor. Cherries aren't very strong in flavor in and of themselves, so I'm not surprised there's hardly any cherry flavor. Sourness ranks 4 out of 10.

M - A very thin body with lots of bubbles. Hardly any alcohol burn, but very tart on the tongue.

O - I'm really disappointed with this beer. Goose Island's Juliet is one of my favorite sours, so my expectations were rightfully high for this one. It's like a watered down, soured-down La Folie, which I believe is an almost perfect example of this style. It may have been the age (almost 1.5 years since bottling) that caused the cherry flavor to seriously fade. I think this one is better fresh based off its current score of a 98 here on BA. No hard feelings - I still love you, Goose Island. Cheers!

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 Bottle

A - Pours a dark brown body that has a reddish hue and a tan head that fades quickly.

S - Cherries, sweet candy, sour apple and a hint of vinegar.

T - Sour cherries, some oak characteristics and again with the vinegar.

M - Light bodied and medium carbonation. Has a dry finish.

O - A notch below some of the better sour beers I've had.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

2012 bottling sent to me way back in the day by laymansbeerfan (thanks!) poured into my Jackie O's tulip.

A: Murky redish-brown with off-white head that fades quickly.

S: Big tartness, lemons, cherries, tart fruit. I know this is a Brett beer but this smells sour, like a lacto brew. Hints of vanilla, maple and oak, with notes of warm red wine.

T: More of the same, flavors start very tart with lemon, cherry, and lacto. There is some malt presence, buried in the palate towards the finish, with the slightest flash of brown sugar meshing with oak barrel. Big vinous notes, with a tart finish.

MF: Medium body or so but the sour tartness thins the mouthfeel, higher carbonation too.

O: A pleasant sour, pretty good overall. Big cherry notes and nice oak undertones. Reminds me a lot of a more sour Dissident.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured this 22 oz. bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Bottled 7/31/12 batch #1245. The body was a brown leather color and clear. Fine, tan head was small. The second pour was cloudier. No real lacing was present.

The smell was sour candy. Powdery. Melba toast as it warmed. Faint balsamic vinegar and a little spicy. Dark bread and jam. Lots of depth to this one.

The taste was puckering tartness. Sour cherries. Woody. Drying finish. I would not have guessed this one was over 7% ABV.

The body was medium to light with modest carbonation. Very drinkable and enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

S: Slightly tart smelling, heavy cherries, some wine notes, carmelized pears.

L: Very dark, brownish red, light tan head that dissipates.

T: Tart cherry richness up front, some prominent pinot noir notes follows. Some tannins going into the finish. Medium light malt character. Quite acidic finish, cherries and red wine mingling well.

M: Medium light bodied, medium carbonation.

Nice mix of flavors., but malt severely lacks to complement the tartness for this style.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

From a 650 ml bottle (dated July 31, 2012) into a wineglass.

A-The brew is the color of extra-strong iced tea, sort of a walnut brown with highlights. The head is thin, short-lived, and tan in color. No lacing or bubbles here. Pretty typical for the style.

S-The smell is an inviting and bracingly sour mixture of vinegar, wet oak, cherry, prunes, and raisins. The aroma is complex, vinous, and earthy, with just a bit of funkiness.

T-The taste is not as amazing as the smell, but contains many of the same flavors: cherry, tart vinegar, funky wet wood, prunes, and a hint of sweet raisins. The acid levels are high, so be prepared.

M-The feel is light to medium body for style with a chunky, moderate carbonation that fits the brew well.

O-This is a very good (almost great) sour beer. The smell is especially inviting and complex, and the feel is very well-suited for the style. The taste is also nice, but a touch on the acidic side, which hurts drinkability. That criticism aside, this brew is on par with La Folie and one of the best Oud Bruins out there.

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%

2012 vintage, thanks to Mike for splitting this bottle. It pours a ruby color, deeper than the Mariana Trench, though light still bursts through this blood-red brew when held up to the light. Barely any head forms; a janky, gray-tinted skin of chunky bubbles disperses quickly towards the edge of the beer and asserts itself as a tiny collar.

Deep, mashed cherries and cherry skins outline the aroma, also filled with grape, light oak, and mild funk - complete with a backing lactic sourness. Very good, but lightly one-track minded without ever really opening up with time. I was expecting a bit more complexity, but I was still completely satisfied with the aromas that were there (does that make sense?).

The taste is pretty light up front - each sip from there on out brings forward a little more flavor and robustness. Warm cherries, lightly tart, though maybe not as sour as the aroma would make you think. Faint lemon spritz, tons of grapes and vinous notes, along with a slightly nutty undertone. Funk flashes in and out at times; mildly musty and just a touch corky.

There's a nice hint of vanilla and cinnamon that I'm picking up. I'm guessing the vanilla could be a mild induction from the Cabernet Sauvignon barrels, but I'm confused about the cinnamon. Hell, it might not even been cinnamon. But whatever the little spiced note is, it works. It completely stands out, but at the same time feels right at home, like R. Kelly at a Chuck E. Cheese.

Dry and oaky finish with only remnants of cherries and vinous grapes. Thin-medium bodied with a pretty smooth mouth feel that turns sharp in the end thanks to some hefty carbonation. Another very solid release from Goose Island's line of Belgian style ales. I'd like to see a little more sourness for the price, but overall, the beer itself was very enjoyable. I feel like a few years of age could take this one in a positive direction.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled 7/31/2012. Served in a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a murky brown with hints of red. A standard pour yielded less than a finger of an off white head, which dissipated almost instantly to a thin collar.

Smell: Sour cherries, caramel, balsamic vinegar, oak, vanilla.

Taste: Cherries, oak, big lactic character, vanilla, caramelized sugar, slightly bready. Medium level sourness

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with light-ish medium carbonation. Refreshing and relatively easy drinking.

Overall: Another great beer from Goose Island. The price point keeps this from being more regular purchase, but it's definitely worth a try.

2014 vintage

Major difference from the previous release is a much higher brett/funk character in both the aroma and taste. Overall I think i probably prefer the 2014.

A: 3.75, S: 4.00, T: 4.25, M: 3.75, O: 4.00

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer all around. Nice and tart without being way too tart for an easy drinking beer of this style.

I enjoyed it greatly and paired it with venison medallions and potatoes with onions that had been sauteed in Canadian Whiskey. It stood up rather nicely to the dark venison tenderloin and was the perfect pairing (for me).

Pours a perfect dark color with the proper head and carbonation.

Has the classic sour smell with the hint of cherries that it was made from. Cherry doesn't overpower the rest of the flavor profile - it works in concert with the malt and tartness provided by the bugs. Easy drinking.

Just a great beer and I wish I could go more 4.9 instead of 4.75. I didn't give it a 5 because I just wanted a hair more tartness but it's as close as I can get to a perfect beer without being perfect IMO.

Well worth seeking out.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good tart cherry taste. Was able to take care of a bomber myself without hating the tartness at the end. While the smell was hard to get the taste was right on. Opened it eleven months after the bottling date and it was excellent. Even though I have had it only this once, I recommend a year aging.

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Big thank you to Msquared2 for this 2012 bottle.

Appearance. Pours a very deep amber-brown with just a skim of off-white head that fades very quickly.

Smell. Sour dark cherries and some sweet malt with a little caramel and damp old wood.

Taste. Dark sour cherries again, some caramel malts and lightly funky barrel wood.

Mouthfeel. Fairly light body, medium-low fine carbonation.

Overall. A fine, easy drinking Flanders style beer with some nice real cherry flavour. Not too sweet like too many of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottle was poured into a large Duvel snifter. Bottled 7/31/12.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger pink head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a reddish brown color with some clarity when held up to light. Lots of bubbles seen coming up through the glass. Looks pretty alive.

Smell: Tart, malty, bready, oakey, bready, funky, barnyard, and cherries.

Taste: Tart cherries and barnyard goodness. Malty, bready, sour, oakey, and tingly feeling in the back of the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Holy pucker, whoa. Low to medium carbonation, light to medium bodied, a little chewy, dry, and quite the twist on your palate.

Overall: Pretty solid puckering beer. Tart, barnyard, bready, oakey, and delicious.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown with notes of cherrywood color into a snifter, giving off the appearance of a wine with minimal head that immediately disappears.

A strong smell of black cherry mixed with merlot and oak.

Tastes a tart black cherry with a hint of sweetness very similar to a merlot with the tart after taste. The tartness is not overwhelming and they found a good balance that allows you to really enjoy this beer.

Aah, these girls of Goose Island... all elegance, all pompous, all sour, and all irresistible. Nothing against the rustic balance of Matilda, or the winey tart Lolita, or the sultry rich Juliet, or the soft and tepid Sofie- its Madame Rose that reigns supreme!

Her masculine colors are brown with tawny rust shaddows. She rises with an eggshell-white mid-structured head that reduces to a translucent skirt on the surface. Lacing spottily with islands on the glass, the ale is both sturdy and dainty in the same breath.

Earthy wine tones dominate the nose- Red wine, balsamic, cider are soon coupled with medium toast, pepper, and wood rot (in the most elegant way possible). Shying away from mushroomy properties, the ale is cast in a veil of sour cherry shadowing.

To taste, its those Merlot wine properties that come alive- tart, sweet, fruity- but with the sharp and sour cherries instead of grape, the beer claims an acidic tone that's distinct to sour ale. Subtleties of balsamic, sherry, and soy sauce bleeds into a lightly salty bit with toast, peppercorn and an implication of chocolate. Finishing crisp and cidery more rustic leather taste softens its closure with earthen rusticity

Crisp, clean, and mildly malty- the beer's upstart is modestly malty. But shortly after the initial palate, the feel of the beer sheds all malt sweetness and its associated carbonation to favor a quick, clean feel of sour acidity that evokes sweating. Lightly minerally- its light iron finish is warm and slightly astringent with echoes of fruit and wine.

Madame Rose is the most refined and elegant of all the girls of Goose. She's crafty, imaginative, and regal in her recipe formulation and brewer execution. She's perfect, even in her flaws.

Madame Rose from Goose Island Beer Co.