Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Vanilla StoutBourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout

Wants: 1,417
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Bourbon County Brand Stout spiced with fresh vanilla beans.

(Beer added by: rudylaw on 11-08-2009)

Served from a bottle at the DC Goose Island Migration Event, at both Churchkey and Meridian Pint.

A: Black as night, like every stout ever made. Imposing. Very thin mocha head. Great lacing.

S: Ridiculous. Mellow vanilla notes, BCBS bourbon notes, incredibly complex. Maple? Smells like Utopias from the bottle.

T: OMFG. Have you even had BCBS? I want you to take that incredible flavor you know and love, but you know that kind of sweet imbalance that happens at the end of regular, fresh BCBS? I want you to imagine pillow-y vanilla/marshmallow flavors picking you up, balancing everything out, and carrying you off into vanilla Wonderland.

M: Thick, chewy, ridiculous. Everything you love about Bourbon County, and everything that makes you wonder "how do they make a beer taste and feel like this?"

O: I never thought I would have this beer, and between the two DC events, I had almost a full 22oz bottle to myself. I couldn't stop ordering it. This is the best beer I've ever had. Bar none. I've had every single BCBS variant, including Rare. This blows them all away. I hope I get to have it again someday.

I don't want to be that guy, but seriously: give up on trying to find a bottle of Rare for yourself and track this down. I had King Henry alongside this beer, and it made KH taste thin and diminished its bourbon flavors. In fact, there were four of us, and everyone agreed: better than Rare, better than KH, better than Bramble/Cherry Rye/Coffee. Unbelievable, 5/5, my only perfect review.

nihiloexnihil, Sep 13, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +6.8%

I was lucky enough to attend a Bourbon County bottle share last night where we had every variant present.
Let me start by saying this beer has NOT fallen off, and if anything is just starting to peak...The Vanilla is still VERY strong although I agree your palate gets a little use to it as you get deeper into your glass. I suggest having another beer available to cleanse your palate and you will NOT be disappointed. My favorite of the night just edging out Bourbon County Rare! So smooth and so much vanilla...TRADE FOR THIS!

TboneRN, Sep 14, 2014

abeeronthebeach, Sep 03, 2014

thereal_adam, Aug 30, 2014

GregoryMo, Aug 24, 2014
4.45/5  rDev -3.1%

Number 5 at a generous tasting of every Bourbon County variant ever. Poured into a Trillium tasting tulip.

Appearance: Pretty standard Bourbon County really. Thick black motor oil. No head, and actually no lacing or crown on this one either.

Smell: Boozy, but mostly vanilla. Seriously, a lot of vanilla. Hints of chocolate beneath that.

Taste: There's a lot of vanilla in this. A little bit of figs comes through beneath it, and bitter roasty dark chocolate. If this has fallen off, it must have been pure vanilla extract in 2010. The vanilla is stronger in the beginning though, toward the end of the glass I don't get much of the vanilla anymore.

Mouthfeel: Pretty typical of the Bourbon County offerings. Very sticky and thick. Moderate/low carbonation.

Overall: A highlight of the night thus far, but we still have all the fruited ones ahead of us. Oh, and we have Prop ahead of us too.

WTKeene, Aug 23, 2014

zekeman17, Aug 08, 2014

Casey3236, Aug 08, 2014

Furley80, Aug 07, 2014

imyourhero21, Aug 05, 2014
Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.