Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Vanilla StoutBourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout

Wants: 1,516
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: rudylaw on 11-08-2009

Bourbon County Brand Stout spiced with fresh vanilla beans.
Ratings: 1,184 | Reviews: 407
Reviews by 1Adam12:

Served from a bottle at the DC Goose Island Migration Event, at both Churchkey and Meridian Pint.

A: Black as night, like every stout ever made. Imposing. Very thin mocha head. Great lacing.

S: Ridiculous. Mellow vanilla notes, BCBS bourbon notes, incredibly complex. Maple? Smells like Utopias from the bottle.

T: OMFG. Have you even had BCBS? I want you to take that incredible flavor you know and love, but you know that kind of sweet imbalance that happens at the end of regular, fresh BCBS? I want you to imagine pillow-y vanilla/marshmallow flavors picking you up, balancing everything out, and carrying you off into vanilla Wonderland.

M: Thick, chewy, ridiculous. Everything you love about Bourbon County, and everything that makes you wonder "how do they make a beer taste and feel like this?"

O: I never thought I would have this beer, and between the two DC events, I had almost a full 22oz bottle to myself. I couldn't stop ordering it. This is the best beer I've ever had. Bar none. I've had every single BCBS variant, including Rare. This blows them all away. I hope I get to have it again someday.

I don't want to be that guy, but seriously: give up on trying to find a bottle of Rare for yourself and track this down. I had King Henry alongside this beer, and it made KH taste thin and diminished its bourbon flavors. In fact, there were four of us, and everyone agreed: better than Rare, better than KH, better than Bramble/Cherry Rye/Coffee. Unbelievable, 5/5, my only perfect review.

4.95/5  rDev +7.6%

At a Bourbon County tasting, this was my favorite of the bunch, including Rare. This beer is very much Bourbon County, but with a smooth flavor. What vanilla does is it adds some sweetness and rounding flavor, which in generally compliments the beer instead of being a prominent flavor.

On the finish, you push towards a vanilla sweetness. The beer is still drinking extremely well.

4.94/5  rDev +7.4%

Brew: Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout

Intro: 22 oz. bottle served in a tulip glass

Appearance: Dark black, opaque. Ample head with good retention. It looked creamy when poured into the glass. It caused anticipation to build for the first smell/taste. It’s one of those beers where you can just tell it’s going to be good just from the appearance.

Smell: Rich malts, chocolate, dark fruits, bourbon, and alcohol with the vanilla shining through. At 13+% ABV you can’t hide the alcohol but there is a host of fragrances that come through. The anticipation builds. It is a VERY inviting brew.

Taste: BINGO!!! Game over! The Holy Grail has been found! WOW!! This did not disappoint, in fact it exceeded all I’ve heard about it. You taste alcohol but not overpowering. There is sweetness but not cloying so. A perfect balance IMHO. This beer does it for me. The bottle was removed from the fridge and allowed to warm for an hour before tasting. This allowed the vanilla to really stand out.

Mouthfeel: Creamy coating that lasts throughout. Just adds to the pleasure.

Overall: As I said, GAME OVER!! It has been found. It’s #1 in its class so far. I haven’t given a perfect 5.0 rating to anything because I figure I haven’t found it yet and don’t know what’s around the corner, but this is as close to perfection that I have found so far. Do yourself a favor; if you like stouts… seek this beer out. You won’t be disappointed.

NOTE: I've only had this one bottle of Vanilla but it's still there and not breaking down. I've had the regular black label, the coffee (2 or 3 years), the Backyard Rye, Proprietor's, and Rare but this one is a personal favorite of mine. Even more so than the Rare.

4.82/5  rDev +4.8%

I woke up today with a dry throat. The damn ceiling fan, which I rely on to block out noise and keep me cool, had attacked me by confiscating all signs of moisture in my entire respiratory system overnight. I was thirsty. But I had no clue how much my thirst was about to be quenched.

Fast forward 4-5 hours to the first session of the 2nd Annual Winking Lizard cask conditioned beer festival. I check in and get a program which outlines the beers available. I check over the list to see a bunch of familiar names, some extra special treats, and the very last entry:

Goose Island Vanilla Bourbon County

This was the first beer I had today. It was the last beer I had today. It was the best beer I've had in a long time. Overall, I'd say I had 22oz or so, and, let me tell you, this beer delivers.

Appears a magnificent black, the kind of black the Rolling Stones sang about painting things. No head whatsoever, and a ton of alcohol sticks to the side of the glass when I swish.

Smell takes me somewhere. Grandma is baking vanilla cookies. Grandpa is sipping his bourbon. And I'm eating a chocolate candy while my olfactory tingles with delight.

Taste is perfect. A strange combo of coconut, vanilla bean, oak, bourbon, chocolate and caramel tastes more defined and well balanced than any desert I've had. This is exceptional in terms of its depth, extreme flavor, and ability to define different elements in unique flavor spikes along the journey. Honestly, one of the best beers I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is thin, but this may be a result of the cask feel. The carb isn't an issue, appropriate for the serving type.

Drinkability is well above many in the field. Strong? Sure, but this is a magnificent example of when imperial flavor is necessary to achieve such a magnificent result. Kev and John at the Lizard, you have outdone yourselves this year. This was just fantastic, and I want to thank you for a wonderful event and a new top 20 beer for me.

Tonight, I will sleep with the fan on. And it can't do a thing to make me uncomfortable. Try as it might, it shall not rob me of this - my thirst has been quenched for a while.

4.08/5  rDev -11.3%

A: a nice dark pour, with a classic tan head that quickly dissipates leaving little-if-any lacing.

S: heavy on the bourbon aromas, faint hints of desserty sweetness in the background.

T: extremely bourbonsih in the front, a dark chocolate middle, and a sweet vanilla ice cream finish.

MF/D: silky smooth, but the overpowering bourbon made this a sipper. very hot, would do well with a couple years of cellaring under its belt...

4.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Black as the pitch with a nicely tinged malty top, it beckons. Head retention--albeit thin--is most impressive. Nose is warm bourbon. I sense alcohol over vanilla. I must admit that's disappointing.

It tastes strong, but smooth. It's warm like a soup. Sip after sip, that thin heady veil stays constant. The taste is really secondary to how this thing feels. I can't really taste vanilla in a bean or extract sort of way, but I feel a creamy, alluring slickness that transports an ever so sweet alcohol burn all over my cheek linings. Gum-smacking post-sip gets a little of that vanillaness!

I wasn't too big a fan of the normal Bourbon County Brand, in large part because of how big, bad, and bourbony it is. I thought the Coffee was oh-so-appropriate to make it a two-pronged sharpness, and this Vanilla really turns everything into a sweet, silky sting. Good strong stout + bid bad bourbon; thrown in a slew of quality vanilla beans and I feel all warm and fuzzy.

4.34/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I was suprised/lucky to find this bomber for $13.99 @ Peeskill Beer and soda, Peekskill, NY, a few days ago. 2101 version. Bottled 11-5-10 on the label

Pours black, no light shining through, next to no head, does leave a mocha collar and some tiny bubble film.

Super dense nose of dark chocolate, vanilla, smoke, bourbon and dark grains.

Full flavor stout. Tons of chocolate, bourbon, vanilla and sludgy goodness.

Thick, chewy and viscous.

World class cellar material, sipper, night capper.

4.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Big thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a black color with a tan head. The aroma is heavy on the vanilla with a lot of roasted malt and chocolate notes also coming through. Overall, the beer smells very nice.

The flavor is just as good and maybe even a little bit better. I get a lot of vanilla as the primary flavor, but the chocolate compliments the vanilla very well. There is also the roasted malt and a little bit of oak in the flavor.

Thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Overall, not as good as the coffee, which is one of my favorite beers of all time, but I enjoyed it more than the Rare and the regular BCS.

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

3oz sample from bottle at The Stable in St. Louis.

Had this alongside a similar sampling of BCCBS. Pours very dark with almost no head. Aroma is good, subtle hints of vanilla and bourbon. Taste is fabulous, the vanilla sweetness balances out the bourbon hints very well. The back end is a little sweet, but I like my IS to finish that way. It feels very smooth on the mouth, the hotness is very mellow in this BCS version.

On a side note, my brother-in-law mixed his coffee and vanilla BCS samples together and it was surprisingly amazing! Listen up GI, your next great idea!

3.95/5  rDev -14.1%

Let's start the New Year right, shall we?

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Black, thick looking motor oil with a cappuccino head that attempts to form but mostly fails (copied this from my standard Bourbon County review since no difference).

Smell: Oak, vanilla and booze - the addition of Vanilla Beans made this even more Bourbon like, but a little less complex. Light molasses and chocolate as well.

Taste: Strong Bourbon taste from the vanilla, oak and alcohol. Some molasses and and chocolate as well, but pushed behind the wall of Bourbon.

Feel: Very thick and smooth, but seems more boozy than the original Bourbon County.

Drinkability: Great tasting Bourbon-aged beer that is a little too harsh to enjoy too much. I personally prefer the Coffee version the most, as the coffee tempered the Bourbon and actually made the beer more complex and approachable than the base beer. The Vanilla did the opposite, it accentuated the Bourbon and simplified the base beer. Glad I tried, and really did enjoy it a lot, but expected a little more after the Coffee.

Side note: Should have spent the $45 on the Rare as well. Oh well.

3.44/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottle served into a snifter. Originally had it in November 2012, but writing this review from notes.

A: Pours pitch black and thick. Flat. Only a few bubbles of head.
S: No vanilla at all. Smells great otherwise, lots of chocolate and bourbon.
T: Wow this is VERY boozy and sweet. Lots of chocolate and bourbon again, but not very balanced.
M: Nice for a BA stout, thick/syrupy. Very boozy though which detracts a bit from it in my opinion.
O: This beer has fallen off (at least my bottle has). I did not get any vanilla at all, just a hot and chocolatey bourbon brew. Good, but not worth what people ask for it.

2.35/5  rDev -48.9%

A-Black as night without any sign of head
S-Vanilla and playdoh aroma, some alcohol bite
T-Vanilla and bourbon is the strongest flavors tasted. No hop character. A vapor like ethanol bite is also very present. Taste is more 1-dimensional as compared to the BCS I had. More vanilla is tasted towards the bottom of drink.
M-Not as thick as BCS, but mouthfeel is very heavy.
D-Obviously a sipper. This is hard to drink, alcohol bite is distracting.
O-Too much like a whiskey and not enough like an Imperial stout. 13% ABV but drinks like it is 20. Could be improved if this bite was reduced.

3.45/5  rDev -25%

Bottle (2010)

Thanks for sharing, Cavery!

(Aged for 1 year)

Midnight black with a thin ruby brown head that doesn't stay for long. Some spotted lacing down the glass. As expected, this beer is gorgeous.

The best aspect of this beer is it's aroma. The combination of bourbon, wood, sweet and earthy vanilla, and alcohol heat make for a divine combination.

Unfortunately, smelling this was the greatest joy I got from it, as it is far too hot with alcohol. Yes there is plenty of bourbon and wood character along with lots of sweet vanilla, but the burning harshenss from the alcohol is overpowering. Interestingly, I did not experience a similar ?flaw? in the other variations of this beer. Disappointing, namely because my expectations were so incredibly high.

Medium to full mouthfeel, though a touch slick and oily. Hot with alcohol.

Way too boozy, at least at this age. The aroma saves it from falling completely from grace.

4.67/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Poured into my sniftner, this stout pours a dark abyss with a medium tan capped head that quickly bubbles back to nothing.

S: The aroma is very deceiving, I expected a ton of Vanilla, but I got a mix of amazing notes of chocolate, oak like vanilla, coffee, toffee, and with the amazing bourbon presence that refuses to stand in the background no matter what version of BCS Goose Island wants to brew.

T: So the big question is what has the vanilla done for this brew? Well it's brought BCS' usual notes of chocolate, coffee, and toffee together to taste like a fresh baked Milano Cookie. Perfection in a glass, the vanilla is consistently evident, but never too dominate.

MF: Unlike some bourbon barrel beers, this stout still has maintained it's creamy, thick body. Almost a 5.0.

Overall, I've had all of the BCS versions. Coffee takes it for me, but this one was a very close second.

4.39/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to ThoreauLikeAGirl for sharing this.

Malty, Figgy Pudding, with sweet vanilla and weirdly pie cherry

Dark, dark brown, with virtually no head, but a thin scum

Can really taste the base beer. Sweet dark chocolate cake with light glaze of vanilla frosting

A bit hot from alcohol, low carbonation and syrupy. I'd like just a couple tenths more carbonation to lighten thsi beer up and also to help bring up the aroma and enliven the beer.

Very good, a nice treat. Too bad it's not getting made again.

4.37/5  rDev -5%

Pours a dark brown and black beer, carbonation muted on these, small tan ring of head less than .5".

Aroma was similar to other incantations, syrup, vanilla, chocolate, wood.

Taste, amazed how much this tasted like the aged coffee I had a month or so back. Definitely a sipping beer. Vanilla was not as strong as I expected, but the stout was a little bit 'candied' up compared to the regular bourbon version of this stuff. The sweetness isn't approaching creme brulee territory, but it does help cover up some of the alcohol. For being 13%, this beer does well.

4.77/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this delectable brew at FoBAB. Two 4oz pours of this nectar of the gods.

Pours still and black as night. There was a hint of a mocha head. That head is revived slightly with a few swirls... but it's mostly bubbles at this point.

Smells divine! Tons of chocolate and vanilla that mask the bourbon. In fact, I don't get a lot of heat on this at all. A tinge of roast to round it out.

Man, does this taste good! It's almost if they took Nightstalker, added a hint of bourbon and then topped it off with a half cup of Hershey's chocolate syrup! The vanilla beans are evident as this warms. So unbelievably delicious.

This has way more drinkability than BCS and was the standout of the night for me. Kudos!

4.2/5  rDev -8.7%

Bottle poured into a snifter. Had as part of a NWI tasting group Bourbon County tasting night.

A - Looks just like regular bourbon county. Pours a dark, dark deep chocolate brown with a small head floating on the top it disappeared pretty fast but left a nice chocolate brown ring on the edges the whole time.

S - Light oak, sweet bourbon and a light whiff of vanilla. I didn't get as much chocolate and cocoa as I get in regular BCBS

T - Sweet vanilla hits you upfront and stays throughout. There is a slight milk chocolate in the middle that helps cut the vanilla. Finish is bourbon whiskey and a light oak spice. Reminds me a lot of regular BCBS but much sweeter.

MF - A thick and syrupy beer. The finish was a slight oak spiciness that lingers on the tongue. The beer is really sticky as well from the vanilla and leaves that stickiness in the finish.

O - Overall, this is a sweeter version of bourbon count with lots more vanilla sweetness found in the normal BCBS. It's good but probably a bit too sweet for my tastes. Overall, this is probably my least favorite variant as it doesn't add much of a twist to normal BCBS.

4.42/5  rDev -3.9%

22oz. Brown bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Pours the expected pitch black motor oil. The barrels have killed most of the retention and lacing but produces some oily legs.

S: Great rich bourbon and fusty German chocolate cake. Vanilla is big and rich but not with too much sweetness.

T/M: Great heat that isnt too much. Vanilla has mellowed a bit but still has plenty of sweetness. Bourbon has mellowed slightly but is still great. Body is full with just enough carbonation to smooth things out.

D: Absolutely fantastic as expected.

4.4/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into my DFH snifter. Split with fellow BA infi. Bottled 11/5/10.

Pours a dark, inky black that totally obscures any light. Thin, tannish head that recedes slowly into a small cap, leaving spotty lacing sliding lazily down the insides of the glass. Nose is... geez, where do I start? Chocolate, caramel, toffee, buttermilk (?!), they all make an appearance and fill my nostrils with their intermingled complexity. The titular vanilla is also there, but not as prevalent as I was expecting. There's also a ton of booze in the smell, like someone just dropped a shot of bourbon in it. Very enticing. I expected nothing less from a Bourbon County.

Taste is full of chocolate and caramel to start, with a subtle, but definite malty presence. Little bit of toastiness follows, along with nuances of brown sugar and coffee. Slight buttermilk presence too. Vanilla shows up, but is quite subtle, not as prevalent as I was expecting. Bourbon appears on the back end and takes over with its overriding booziness. Finish has notes of sweet sugary caramel and vanilla, mingling with chocolate and bourbon to round off a very pleasant tasting experience. Mouthfeel is thick and weighty, with a viscous, slick and creamy feel. It's big and full, meaning you'll definitely be sipping this one.

Drinkability is tempered by the rather present booziness, but it definitely goes down easy. Goose Island has never disappointed me with their Bourbon County line and this brew is no different. Rich, thick, flavorful and decadent, Vanilla is every bit as good as the regular BCBS line. Just wish I had more of it around me because I'd most assuredly buy more of it.

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Bottled bourbon county has that fizzy head and is overall not attractive, on tap this thing looked amazing. Creamy mocha head with great lacing and that lasted throughout. Poured out pitch black.

S: A lot of vanilla still left. Blends perfectly with the base beer. The fusion of vanilla, bourbon, and chocolate create a nice cinnamon and hazelnut spice. Very sweet - like chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. The bourbon is more balanced and some of the caramel is lost, but still has that nice heat.

T: Incredibly rich and smooth. A lot of vanilla that makes for a smoother, sweeter experience - enhanced milk chocolate. Strong bourbon caramel heat and some oak. Really fantastic

P: Rich, smooth, delightfully soft carbonation. Full body that gets syrupy after a while.

O: An incredibly decadent, sweet, desert beer. Amazing vanilla blend - definitely has not faded in the keg. Overall has held up amazingly with age.

4.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Great addition to the series of BCS

Had a coffee that was 10 months old the night before this and was dissapointed although I understand it's best consumed fresh.

The vanilla was brewed in November so it's about 2 months old and prime for this review.

Dark as night and smells fantastic - I've read brownie batter in other reviews which it mostly smells like followed by vanilla and bourbon in equal amounts.

Taste is where this beer shines...it's a 5! A freaking 5!
The bourbon goes so nicely with the vanilla. The vanilla so nicely with the brownie-ish chocolate. You'd think the vanilla would make this sweet which it is in the slightest, but balanced into this brew so well. Not at all overly so. The Vanilla somehow makes this version much more drinkable than any of the other variations..at least for me. It's as if it masks the heat and makes it smoother going down. Never been able to drink any BCS bomber at the rate I'm diving into this one. Heat is detectable but if you're familiar with these beers, it's been tamed moreso than expected.

For 13% the mouthfeel is thick, coating and lingering but with all the right flavors. Slick. I easily finished the bomber myself but wouldn't open another, that's for sure.

4.67/5  rDev +1.5%

Review from notes. Thanks to Jay for opening. Been looking forward to trying this beer for a long time!

A: Pours black with a dark tan head, a little less than a finger in height. Not much retention and decent lacing. Next to the other versions of BCBS, hard to distinguish any of them. Pours rather viscous.

S: Sweeter than the other versions, vanilla right away, the vanilla bean intensifies the vanilla that would normally be there from the bourbon. A little bit of roasted malt, oak, and a definite booze presence, but not in a bad way.

T: Wow, tons of vanilla. Wasn't sure how strong the flavor was going to be based on age of the bottle, but if the vanilla faded at all, I can only imagine what it was like fresh. There is a little bit of bourbony oak, caramel, toffee, and roasted malt as well.

M: Full bodied, but very smooth. The alcohol on the aroma doesn't really manifest when you drink it.

O: Fantastic. Extremely drinkable for 13%, love what the added vanilla brought to this beer. Would love to drink this one all of the time.

4.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 22 oz bomber poured into a snifter.
Bottled on 11-5-10
Reviewed on 11-19-10

A Black as ive ever seen. Hold it up to the light you see the faintest of a brown ring on the sides. Nice dark carmel colored head fades quickly after a vigorous pour and im left with a few cirrus cloud wisps.

S-A wave of scents flood the nose upon first whiff. Dominant smell is chocolate covered cherries with cream. A nice alcoholic twinge compliments the underlying licorice, marshmallow scents. Call me crazy but this beer has a new car scent to it. Or maybe its leather im picking up. Throughout the session carmel becomes more evident. Its hard to keep your nose out of the snifter.

T- like an alcoholic chocolate covered cherry. Burnt molasses, carmel, dark roasted coffee, slight vanilla in the aftertaste. Im suprised by the sweetness of this beer. Maybe this will fade with time as it dries out? Or maybe the sweetness will become more evident as the hops fade.

M.F.- A bit more carbonated then the regular BCS. A nice alcoholic burn in the gullet which brings on the buzz nicely. I think the vanilla may have added to the softness of the pallet. It is remarkably smooth like whole milk.

D- It it so fine. one glass is all you need to be satisfied. A nice drinking experience to be savored on occasion.

4.84/5  rDev +5.2%

I had the opportunity to taste this whale on a tasting organized by BA's Jeffo and Doopiedoopiedoo. They arranged 4 types of Goose Island - Bourbon County's!!! The Rare (Green label), the Brand Stout (Grey label), the Vanilla bean aged (Yellow label) and the Brand Coffee Stout (Red label). So we could do a horizontal tasting, just absolutely marvelous. I believe the Vanilla bean version was arranged by the Brabander so he gets some of the credits too, thanks Thijs for sharing and the experience.

See for the total beer line up my review of the Brewery - Black Tuesday.

A - A blacker than black beer with a thin brown ring that goes for a head.

S - A vanilla chocolate coffee liquor, a true tremendous smell.

T - A sweet vanilla bourbon boozyness along with a chocolate coffee experience. What an absolutely great balance between the separate tones. This is a real treat for your tongue. It's like angels have sex with it.

M - A soft to medium carbonation, with a good bitterness in the finish. The thickness of this body is absolutely amazing.

O - A very, very great vanilla beer booze. Another topper from Goose Island. again a winner on all occasions. Like I said before; the American government should oblige Goose Island to brew this beer all year round!

Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.