Blonde Rascal - Goose Island Beer Co.

Blonde Rascal
No picture uploaded.

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Blonde Ale |  6.50% ABV

"Blond Belgian style ale brewed with Fuggles, Amarillo, and Simcoe hops and spiced with lavender"

(Beer added by: botham on 11-30-2009)
Reviews by botham:
3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

"Blonde Ale brewed with Lavender"

on tap at the Clybourn brewpub in Chicago. poured into a GI tulip. pours a crystal clear golden color with a single finger of loose white head. good retention and solid lacings.

aroma is of ripe hops with a distinct and concentrated lavender and floral character. a touch of rosemary is present as well. unique, but a bit overwhelming in the nose from the lavender.

taste follows the nose with an herbal and floral character. finishes mildly dry with residual hop oils and lavender.

mouthfeel is good. probably the best part of the brew with a mild dryness that carries through to the finish. nice.

drinkability is decent. for fans of floral and lavender brews, this will be a great beer. however, in the end it comes off as a bit too overpowering with a character that discounts the brews most basic elements in order to stack up the lavender notes. Fleur is a MUCH better brew from GI Clybourn brewed with flowers.

botham, Nov 30, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +25.1%

On tap at the Clybourn Brewpub on December 29, 2010. Not sure if the recipe changed since last year, but here is the current description: "Blonde Belgian style ale brewed with Fuggles, Amarillo, and Simcoe hops and spiced with lavender."

Pours a nice golden color with a quite large white head with really nice retention and quite a bit of lacing. Thin cap throughout. The nose is really nice and I love the combination of the lavender with the hops selected here. The Amarillo and Simcoe interaction works quite well with the addition of the lavender. The taste isn't quite as explosive. The floral character doesn't quite mesh with the hop flavors as well, though this still tastes quite good. Really nice feel with a dry finish and good carbonation. Drinks quite well; I would certainly like to see this added to the bottled Belgian lineup down the line.

Thorpe429, Dec 30, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -34.1%

She packed my bags last night pre-flight.

As I sat down at the bar alone, waiting, I noticed something I hadn't seen before. Perhaps she had been there all along and I had just missed her. Or maybe she was like me, a long way from home, waiting for the craft that would take her to destinations unknown.

As the blonde approached my table, I noticed the white lace that collared her neck. As as blondes go, she definately deserved a second look, and I obliged.

The overwhelming scent of lavender soap almost knocked me out of my chair. While politeness kept me from leaving, I waited for my olfactory senses to exhaust as it was almost too much.

The lavender was so thick I could almost taste it. In fact, I believe I did, with touches of honey to break it up, but it dominated my senses to the point where there was nothing else. I needed relief from what looked to be a good encounter but had turned poorly so quickly.

Sadly, she was one that looked better from far away, but when she got there, she just tried to hard. Sometimes you want to like them for making the effort and trying something new, but grinning and bearing it at times is just too hard to do.

It's lonely out in space.

AgentZero, Apr 07, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

brandoman63, Nov 30, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -12.3%

On tap at GI into a tasting glass...Bright yellow pour, clear, good off white head that has nice retention...The aroma is decent, lavender is present but notes of honey and lemon are balanced...The taste is really bad as the lavender dominates from start to finish, herbal and medicinal in a way that makes this undrinkable.

Unless you love lavender don't both with this.

jrallen34, Dec 31, 2010
Blonde Rascal from Goose Island Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.