Pepe Nero - Goose Island Beer Co.

Pepe NeroPepe Nero

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.40% ABV

Mahogany color, black pepper aroma, roasted malt and spice flavor, creamy body.

(Beer added by: adamette on 03-30-2010)
Reviews by cosmicevan:
3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Picked up a 1/2 growler of this today. Poured into goose island flute.

A - Poured a deep brown with a thin head and no lacing. Looks way more like a brown ale than a saison.

S - Very earthy and spicy. Nutmeg in the background. More of a malty smell. Pretty dark smelling compared to other saisons I've had which tend to be more citric. Smells good though, very different from what I'm used to, but seems very true to style.

T - Again, very spicy and earthy...no hops at all deteceted, more of a malty flavor. Dark and bitter, but tasty. As I drank it, I started to notice more of the lighter farmhouse flavors and the bitterness slid more into the background. Became more like a brown ale crossed with saison, but maintained that spiciness throughout. The lighter clove like spices came out the more I drank it though.

M - Pretty dry, pretty bitter, but cooling. As I drank it, it started to show more of the lighter cooling qualities I first detected.

D - Not what I look for in a saison. I really like the soft and light saisons (hennepin/sofie being my favs). This would be the deeper darker cousin to sofie. I'd have a sofie over pepe nero any day of the week in the summer (or any time really since that's one of my favorite beers period), but this one could be a great fall beer if you are into matching beers with seasons. Today seems a bit warm for such a dark saison...I think I'll stay inside with the AC instead of bringing this one on the deck in this 95+ degree weather. I don't think I'll have much trouble polishing off this 1/2 growler. I'd have it again for sure. Great gateway saison beer for fans of darker beers.

4.09/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2012 bottle.I gotta say I have never seen a saison/farmhouse Belgian this dark in color,it's a deep mahogany with a great looking fluffy one and a half finger light beige head atop that spits and billows as settles oh so slowly in my chalice.Aromas of candied sugar and hard toffee,a light peppery spice is detected.Dark fruit and toffee flavors with a smack of pepper in the finish wich I like,dark fruits as required are there.Although the bottle may say farmouse this isn't a farmhouse beer,it's a Belgian dark with peppercorns and it's pretty damn good.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

1.61/5  rDev -57%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Bottled 03/04/2011. 22 oz bomber poured into a tulip

Appearance: Oily black. Nice tan head.

Aroma: Dark fruits. Can't get much else.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Malt forward, with a spicy kick in the finish that cuts the sweet malt. High carbonation that is somewhat unpleasant to me.

Overall: I really would not buy it again as the taste is too dull when there's so much more out there.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Notes from 4/20/11;bottle 1/11

A - Pours a deep amber/red with three fingers of creamy tan head. Head has great retention and leaves good lacing.

S - Smell is mostly Belgian yeast with a slight funk.

T - Unexpected slight tartness in the taste, with some pepper and yeast. Aftertaste is somewhat bitter, peppery and dry.

M - Light/medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation.

O - Overall a good saison, but not one of my favorites. Pepper adds something interesting. I would have this again, but not seek it out.

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber, 2011 version, Bottled "01/07/11"

Near black, larger mocha head, larger bubbles, slow to fade. Leaves ample froth, thick sheeting.

Dark malts in the nose.

Malty, dark and roasty, not getting much if any traditional "saison" characteristics. Maybe some light pepper in the finish. Eh...not really sure what to make of this one, others said "stout", "porter" "schwartz beer/saison hybrid" and even "black IPA" If you are looking for a nice saison that looks and tastes like a saison, this is not for you...Decent enough drinker, but not really doing much for this saison lover...

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to Pawola22 for sharing this bottle. Always happy to try a new beer from Goose Island.

The beer pours a dark brown color with red highlights and an off-white head.

The aroma is caramel and Belgian yeast, with some spiced notes and a little bit of chocolate.

The flavor is similar. I get some chocolate notes, as well as quite a bit of dark fruit, Belgian yeast, pepper and some light Belgian candy sugar.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

A - This beer poured dark but nothing out of the ordinary. Definitely something that I'd expect from a saison. The head was very minimal, however I didn't really have a straight pour.

S - Smelled of brown sugar and citrus.

T - The brown sugar citrus smell continued on through the taste, however, the aftertaste was surprisingly mellow for me.

M - Good bodied, and not too watery.

O - Overall, a good beer and worth the try!

Cheers!

Pepe Nero from Goose Island Beer Co.