Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 3,958
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans
Reviews: 1,043 | Hads: 6,222
4.7/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 bottle. Rich coffee aroma on the nose with a full, but not thick mouthfeel. Cocoa, coffee and bourbon is a combo that can negatively affect a beer if not balanced, but if Goose Island ever had that problem, it has been long since resolved. This is a decadent beer that gets better as it warms. The 13+% ABV is there for sure, but rarely is it so smooth. (362 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 bottle. Actually pretty Damn good. Bitter coffee smell. Smooth with spice coffee on the back of the throat. Cinnamon taste and smell. Lingering subtle coffee after the finish. Black in color. (196 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%

Had a 2014 at the BA Sexual Chocolate bottle share. It was motor oil black and had bourbon and coffee in the nose albeit the coffee was a bit faded. Would love to have tried this fresh. The mouthfeel is velvet as I have become accustomed to with all Bourbon County stouts. Pleasant heat from the booze and has a nice bourbon flavor with some coffee and cocoa. (359 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

2014 Vintage bottled on 11/7/14 served in a snifter.

L - Oil black, with a very thin tan head that quickly disapated.

S - Mostly bourbon, some slight coffee and chocolate undertones.

T - Very similar to the smell - mostly bourbon with hints of coffee and chocolate.

F - This is where is stands out to me when compared to KBS and SMS - extremely thick, creamy, and smooth.

O - I'm a huge fan of coffee stouts, and up until I had this SMS was my favorite beer. I think this is my new favorite. Big and robust feel is what sets it apart. I would like to try it a bit more fresh as I think some of the coffee has faded, but at this point it's probably more well balanced. Definitely worth seeking out if you have the opportunity. (736 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014... I am extremely lucky: I had the privilege of sampling this spectacular brew with two of my best friends in the world. If you like coffee, stouts, and bourbon then you won’t be able to put this masterpiece down. For such a “heavy/dark” creation, BCBCS still appears to be quite ‘thin’ and translucent as compared to some of the other murky/clouded stouts. The smells, however, are as bold and domineering as one would expect from the original barrel aged stout; roasted coffee is by far the most pronounced fragrance and it even overpowers the bouquet of bourbon, dark chocolate, and vanilla that are eventually made known. The taste in one word is: perfect. Espresso forward. Molasses. Wood. Slightly vanilla. Impeccable. If you fall under the type of flavor profile listed above, go get BCBCS now. Literally now. I don’t care what you have to do. (867 characters)

Performed blind taste test with this, Ozark BDCS, and KBS. This was the winner. The best aroma and the smoothest taste. I was very surprised, but I guess I shouldn't have been. Bit of coffee, bit of bourbon, bit of sweetness. All went together so well. (252 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage poured into a Teku glass.

A - Black with almost no head at all. You can see the thickness as it pours.

S - Coffee and sweet bourbon mostly with a cherry fruitiness.

T - Follows the nose with roasted coffee and bourbon. A bit sweet with some fruit notes.

F - Perfection. Extremely thick, syrupy, and sticky with just a hint of carbonation.

O - I loved this beer and would like to try it fresh to get a some stronger coffee flavors. (448 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

2014 vintage bottled in November. Nose very reminiscent of BCBS, your classic bourbon profile with some dark fruit and deep, roasty coffee creeping in the backdrop. Coffee flavor comes in waves up front and as I swallow but the flavor itself is pretty muted already at just beyond half a year old. Enhances the roasted malt dynamics of this big, viscous, beautiful beast of a beer.
The only way InBev makes there money off me and it's worth every penny every time, the whole lineup is killer and this one definitely stands in attention as the better 12oz offering. (565 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Strong coffee and chocolate taste and smell, very little bitter aftertaste. Very nice. We're about to drink a KBS so should be interesting to compare. (150 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So smooth and definitely something i need to get again in the near future. The taste is outstanding and its definitely one of the best beers in america! (152 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nose is cherry with slight coffee. Taste is heavy alcohol with coffee. Their cherry stout is better - not that this is bad because it is outstanding. The coffee is lost in this one, however. (192 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +8.1%

Is it even possible to make a better coffee stout? I'm leaning towards no.

Pours used motor oil black. Coffee notes beat up nose and palate upfront. Smooth full-bodied aftertaste with that great bourbon finishing note. Definitely the best coffee stout I've had to date. (274 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +8.7%

2014 bottle - 6 1/2 months from the "bottled on" date

Look - Very dark with a slight light tan head. A little more bubbly than what I was expecting, since my previous experiences with Bourbon County have appeared almost sludge-like.

Smell - Coffee & bourbon, obviously. Also detect malts, dark chocolate & toffee.

Taste - Amazing. Very strong coffee taste up front, but it doesn't stay for long. It stays present while the bourbon, chocolate and malts that I found in the nose arrive to the party. After I swallow the (after)taste most present is the bourbon, it definitely stays with you. But I am also left with a bitter chocolate taste & a hint of cherries (I'll be honest: I didn't notice the cherry until I read other reviews but it definitely brought it to my attention. Could just be placebo but I don't think so.

Feel - Thick, sticky, with a slight carbonation that gives a nice sensation as I sip.

Overall - I think this is the greatest beer I've ever had in my life. My only time drinking it, so I don't know what it's like super fresh, or with some real age on it... But based on this it would be excellent no matter how old/young the bottle. (1,167 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2014 bottle tasted 2 months after release. Mocha head dissipates rapidly. Nose wafts a fruity coffee complemented by bourbon. Taste is similar, coffee forward though still sugary up front and warmth dries it out more than flavor. Pretty hot only 2 months old. (264 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Jet black, watered down oil. Pours with some weight.

S: The first 2 months after bottling, the thing smells like you stuck your face into a bag of Intelligentsia coffee, leading straight up to the taste. Coffee starts to wane off after three or so months to a much more even coffee:bourbon barrel smell.

T: Taste is dominated with coffee when fresh. After a few months of aging (personal sweet spot is about 5-6 months), the coffee blends nearly perfectly with the sweet, sticky bourbon barrel. Any longer than that, you're just losing what you paid for: the freshly roasted coffee. Sure it still tastes like a great coffee stout, but no better than a KBS or Sunday Morning Stout.

F: Syrupy, thick and sticky. Aboslutely lovely. Could be a tad thicker but I'm just nit picking.

O: Damn good beer. Looking forward to Black Wednesday every year... (856 characters)

A truly amazing beer. I could not find anything lacking. Thanks to BoldRulerVT for the share. 2013 bottles poured into tulip glasses and enjoyed around the fire in celebration of the triple crown winner.

Dirty-oil black with a 1/2 finger of brown fluffy head that slowly dissipates to a thick ring leaving curtains of brown lace down the glass.

Aroma is a mixture of mostly bourbon, some coffee, dried dark fruit and cherries, and a slight bit of roasted dark malt.

Taste is heavy, but not overwhelming, with bourbon, mixed with dried cherry, molasses, and hints of coffee and chocolate. Delicious.

Mouth is perfect. Medium/full bodied, with fairly low carbonation....never cloying or thick. After an 8 oz pour, I would have easily enjoyed another.

Overall, a sensational beer that I WANT MORE OF!! (819 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to my friend @JohnParadee, I have had two of these bottles sitting in my cellar for approaching a year and a half. In honor of American Pharoah winning the Triple Crown, these two bottles were opened around a bonfire and held in salute to an incredible achievement.
2013 BCBCS. Poured into tulips. Pours jet black. Zero light comes through barely any head that does manage to remain. Aromas are bourbon, toasted oak, coffee, deep dark roasty malts. Flavor is insane. Perfection, a perfect balance of bourbon, roasted coffee, roasted malt, and oak. Balanced, round. Mouthfeel is perfection. Any thinner and I'd be upset, any thicket and it would be distracting. This beer is fucking mind blowing. I may never get to enjoy it again, but this was the perfect occasion for the best stout I've ever tasted in my life. (819 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had a 2014 at a bottle shop in San Francisco. Paid a pretty good price for a great beer. Pours very dark with a little bit of carbonation. Smell was amazing with strong notes of coffee. Tasted even better with a chocolate, coffee, and caramel mix. I could taste this beer long after the bottle was empty. Highly recommended. (324 characters)

BCBS never disappoints, and BCBCS is no exception. Though I prefer some vintages more than others, the motor-oil pour, gorgeous foam head, powerfully complex aroma, and incredible mouthfeel are all perfection - and the taste is beyond reproach. (244 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle.

Look: Deep dark brown body. The light and simple mocha head quickly retreats to a thin halo. Legs and lacing are minimal, but they are slippery, and melt with style.
Smell: The smell is surprisingly like Prairie Bomb. I smell bourbon and chocolate, maybe some background coffee. Sweet cream...Some astringency.
Taste: Rich and full of flavor. Sweet roasted barley, coffee, chocolate, a touch of lactose sweetness, and bourbon barrel. Nice, sweet and creamy finish.
Feel: Silky and creamy mouth feel. Lower level of carbonation. Soft feeling.

Overall - To me, this is very similar to Prairie Bomb. With the first whiff, I was not impressed. After sitting around contemplating each sip, and letting it warm, I have come to the conclusion that this is a world-class stout, but not the best American Double/Imperial Stout there is, as some have said. I like Parabola, Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead the Fifth, and maybe Barrel Aged Dark Apparition better. This beer is on the same level with those, and some other top tier imperial stouts. (1,065 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +5.4%

2013 release, bottled on 11/15/13. Enjoyed 1-1/2 years later. Pours black with a medium-sized brown head, very little lacing. Smells of bourbon, coffee, and rich cocoa. Taste follows exactly, but in waves of flavor. First the bourbon, then the coffee, then the cocoa, with an amazing bittersweet finish. Great complexity. The mouthfeel is smooth and thick without being syrupy. Medium carbonation for the style. Similar to the regular BCBS, but I enjoyed this more. It was so delicious that I finished the bottle in 20 mins. (524 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had it on tap at Julian's in Providence:

Appearance: An inky, jet black with a quickly dissipating mocha colored head. Sticky, obsidian body with little tiny bubbles around the rim.

Aroma: Tons of coffee and a tiny bit of vanilla bourbony notes. Really potent! Goddamn, this brew smells like a million bucks.

Taste: Like it smells....possibly the most coffee-forward beer I've ever had, though Tree House's Triple Shot and Good Morning had a more powerful flavor overall (really nitpicking here, this is an elite, top-tier coffee stout). A fantastic treat with lots of coffee, some chocolate, and some vanilla. Incredibly balanced and an incredibly delicious beer.

Feel: More carbonated than I expected when watching the pour and looking at the head on the beer, but really sticky. Lots of lingering flavor and a heavy, thick, syrupy body.

Overall: One of the best coffee stouts in existence, easily. Incredibly flavorful, with a potent aroma and a great body. (966 characters)

2014 - My friend poured a miller lite into a pot of coffee and it was pretty terrible, actually we all got pretty sick and went through two plungers. The next day we tried this and it was much better. I'm not much of a marksman but I'm a straight shooter when it comes to telling the truth. This beer is like the we are the champions of winning songs. (351 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Possibly the best straight up coffee stout in the country that is consistently made every year and done well no matter what the bottle count is. So much fresh coffee married with bourbon in a high ABV but extremely drinkable stout that continually keeps me wishing I could find more and more all year long. (306 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fresh bottle of 2014, about 1 month old when I cracked it open on Christmas morning into my Stone IRS goblet. Poured a thick, creamy black with a short but gorgeous tan head. Smelled mostly of bourbon with minimal coffee notes. It tasted every bit of the 13% ABV, as many BA brews do, and I was hoping for a bit more coffee flavor than I got. Still, it was excellent and I hope I can get more in the future (406 characters)

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.