Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 3,868
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans
Ratings: 6,131 | Reviews: 1,102
4.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Doesn't get any better. Strong,dark and lots of great bourbon. Pools like motor oil and lives up to the name and the wait.

4.96/5  rDev +5.8%

Is it even possible to make a better coffee stout? I'm leaning towards no.

Pours used motor oil black. Coffee notes beat up nose and palate upfront. Smooth full-bodied aftertaste with that great bourbon finishing note. Definitely the best coffee stout I've had to date.

4.98/5  rDev +6.2%

This might be the best beer I've ever had. I am not worthy!

4.78/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

So unbelievably smooth. Coffee flavor is fantastic. Tons of vanilla too.

Delicious! One of the best coffee stout I've had!

4.99/5  rDev +6.4%

2014 bottle - 6 1/2 months from the "bottled on" date

Look - Very dark with a slight light tan head. A little more bubbly than what I was expecting, since my previous experiences with Bourbon County have appeared almost sludge-like.

Smell - Coffee & bourbon, obviously. Also detect malts, dark chocolate & toffee.

Taste - Amazing. Very strong coffee taste up front, but it doesn't stay for long. It stays present while the bourbon, chocolate and malts that I found in the nose arrive to the party. After I swallow the (after)taste most present is the bourbon, it definitely stays with you. But I am also left with a bitter chocolate taste & a hint of cherries (I'll be honest: I didn't notice the cherry until I read other reviews but it definitely brought it to my attention. Could just be placebo but I don't think so.

Feel - Thick, sticky, with a slight carbonation that gives a nice sensation as I sip.

Overall - I think this is the greatest beer I've ever had in my life. My only time drinking it, so I don't know what it's like super fresh, or with some real age on it... But based on this it would be excellent no matter how old/young the bottle.

3.56/5  rDev -24.1%

Too much bourbon in this one.

Let's not bullshit. This is a dm good beer. A true treat every time

4.45/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2014 bottle tasted 2 months after release. Mocha head dissipates rapidly. Nose wafts a fruity coffee complemented by bourbon. Taste is similar, coffee forward though still sugary up front and warmth dries it out more than flavor. Pretty hot only 2 months old.

4.67/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Jet black, watered down oil. Pours with some weight.

S: The first 2 months after bottling, the thing smells like you stuck your face into a bag of Intelligentsia coffee, leading straight up to the taste. Coffee starts to wane off after three or so months to a much more even coffee:bourbon barrel smell.

T: Taste is dominated with coffee when fresh. After a few months of aging (personal sweet spot is about 5-6 months), the coffee blends nearly perfectly with the sweet, sticky bourbon barrel. Any longer than that, you're just losing what you paid for: the freshly roasted coffee. Sure it still tastes like a great coffee stout, but no better than a KBS or Sunday Morning Stout.

F: Syrupy, thick and sticky. Aboslutely lovely. Could be a tad thicker but I'm just nit picking.

O: Damn good beer. Looking forward to Black Wednesday every year...

2.9/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

The look and the smell are better than the taste and the feel. The coffee notes are detectable, but too strong and the after taste is not pleasant.

3.75/5  rDev -20%

The bourbon was too overpowering for me. I was expecting more of the coffee to mask the bourbon but that didn't happen.

A truly amazing beer. I could not find anything lacking. Thanks to BoldRulerVT for the share. 2013 bottles poured into tulip glasses and enjoyed around the fire in celebration of the triple crown winner.

Dirty-oil black with a 1/2 finger of brown fluffy head that slowly dissipates to a thick ring leaving curtains of brown lace down the glass.

Aroma is a mixture of mostly bourbon, some coffee, dried dark fruit and cherries, and a slight bit of roasted dark malt.

Taste is heavy, but not overwhelming, with bourbon, mixed with dried cherry, molasses, and hints of coffee and chocolate. Delicious.

Mouth is perfect. Medium/full bodied, with fairly low carbonation....never cloying or thick. After an 8 oz pour, I would have easily enjoyed another.

Overall, a sensational beer that I WANT MORE OF!!

4.94/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to my friend @JohnParadee, I have had two of these bottles sitting in my cellar for approaching a year and a half. In honor of American Pharoah winning the Triple Crown, these two bottles were opened around a bonfire and held in salute to an incredible achievement.
2013 BCBCS. Poured into tulips. Pours jet black. Zero light comes through barely any head that does manage to remain. Aromas are bourbon, toasted oak, coffee, deep dark roasty malts. Flavor is insane. Perfection, a perfect balance of bourbon, roasted coffee, roasted malt, and oak. Balanced, round. Mouthfeel is perfection. Any thinner and I'd be upset, any thicket and it would be distracting. This beer is fucking mind blowing. I may never get to enjoy it again, but this was the perfect occasion for the best stout I've ever tasted in my life.

4.96/5  rDev +5.8%

Best beer I've ever had, recommend to any one, if able get this beer

4.71/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had a 2014 at a bottle shop in San Francisco. Paid a pretty good price for a great beer. Pours very dark with a little bit of carbonation. Smell was amazing with strong notes of coffee. Tasted even better with a chocolate, coffee, and caramel mix. I could taste this beer long after the bottle was empty. Highly recommended.

BCBS never disappoints, and BCBCS is no exception. Though I prefer some vintages more than others, the motor-oil pour, gorgeous foam head, powerfully complex aroma, and incredible mouthfeel are all perfection - and the taste is beyond reproach.

4.43/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle.

Look: Deep dark brown body. The light and simple mocha head quickly retreats to a thin halo. Legs and lacing are minimal, but they are slippery, and melt with style.
Smell: The smell is surprisingly like Prairie Bomb. I smell bourbon and chocolate, maybe some background coffee. Sweet cream...Some astringency.
Taste: Rich and full of flavor. Sweet roasted barley, coffee, chocolate, a touch of lactose sweetness, and bourbon barrel. Nice, sweet and creamy finish.
Feel: Silky and creamy mouth feel. Lower level of carbonation. Soft feeling.

Overall - To me, this is very similar to Prairie Bomb. With the first whiff, I was not impressed. After sitting around contemplating each sip, and letting it warm, I have come to the conclusion that this is a world-class stout, but not the best American Double/Imperial Stout there is, as some have said. I like Parabola, Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead the Fifth, and maybe Barrel Aged Dark Apparition better. This beer is on the same level with those, and some other top tier imperial stouts.

4.82/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I thought nothing would pass CBS and this does, or at least is the closest. Wow. I am in heaven

4.59/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Awesome, but damn does it have done alcoholic overtones. Thick to the point of syrupy

4.84/5  rDev +3.2%

2013 release, bottled on 11/15/13. Enjoyed 1-1/2 years later. Pours black with a medium-sized brown head, very little lacing. Smells of bourbon, coffee, and rich cocoa. Taste follows exactly, but in waves of flavor. First the bourbon, then the coffee, then the cocoa, with an amazing bittersweet finish. Great complexity. The mouthfeel is smooth and thick without being syrupy. Medium carbonation for the style. Similar to the regular BCBS, but I enjoyed this more. It was so delicious that I finished the bottle in 20 mins.

4.99/5  rDev +6.4%

Words can't describe my love for this coffee stout!

4.52/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had it on tap at Julian's in Providence:

Appearance: An inky, jet black with a quickly dissipating mocha colored head. Sticky, obsidian body with little tiny bubbles around the rim.

Aroma: Tons of coffee and a tiny bit of vanilla bourbony notes. Really potent! Goddamn, this brew smells like a million bucks.

Taste: Like it smells....possibly the most coffee-forward beer I've ever had, though Tree House's Triple Shot and Good Morning had a more powerful flavor overall (really nitpicking here, this is an elite, top-tier coffee stout). A fantastic treat with lots of coffee, some chocolate, and some vanilla. Incredibly balanced and an incredibly delicious beer.

Feel: More carbonated than I expected when watching the pour and looking at the head on the beer, but really sticky. Lots of lingering flavor and a heavy, thick, syrupy body.

Overall: One of the best coffee stouts in existence, easily. Incredibly flavorful, with a potent aroma and a great body.

2014 - My friend poured a miller lite into a pot of coffee and it was pretty terrible, actually we all got pretty sick and went through two plungers. The next day we tried this and it was much better. I'm not much of a marksman but I'm a straight shooter when it comes to telling the truth. This beer is like the we are the champions of winning songs.

Flawless beer in all five categories. Nothing else to say.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.