Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 4,061
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans
Reviews: 1,058 | Hads: 6,336
4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

Super black with a quickly fading tan head. The smell is coffee, cover, coffee, bourbon, roasted malt and chocolate. The beer tastes the same as it smells and is very sweet. The oak and vanilla really come out in the taste. This is a super balanced and delicious beer that I would drink every day of I could.

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

2014 12 oz. bottle poured into a beer snifter. By now you probably already know that this is a world-class beer. Everything about it is amazing! I wish I had more of these in my cellar! The look is oil black with a thin head after the pour. The smell is primarily bourbon, coffee and chocolate, in which those flavors are true on the tongue as well. The feel of this one was creamy and smooth; somewhat thick mouthfeel. Overall, this is a fantastic beer and if you haven't tried it yet, go trade for some. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

2014 bottle, poured into snifter. Strong bourbon on the nose, not much coffee. Taste is very similar to regular BCBS. Sticky feel, nice aftertaste. Would love to try other vintages.

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Consumed October 11th, 2015 from a bottle labeled January 2011. Poured into a tulip.

Beer is dark brown on the borderline of black. Thick and viscous pour, like used motor oil. In a good way.
A vigorous pour generates a one-finger dark brown head that doesn't hang around too long.

Aroma is dark roasted coffee, chocolate and a hint of bourbon. Fantastic nose.

Flavor is strong, smooth and well-meshed. Coffee, chocolate, wood and bourbon. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel is thick and silky smooth.

At nearly five years old, this beer is fantastic. Many thanks to Thirstgoat (Jeff) for the bottle!

4.56/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark with a strong coffee aroma. Very smooth a great beer to sip on and enjoy. Very warm, has that sense of bourbon to it. Saving a few of these to age them over time, but this beer is excellent! Can't wait for this year's release.

4.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Strong coffee on the nose, luscious and dark with strong bourbon and coffee tastes. It's not the best coffee stout I've ever had, but it's right up there!

4.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 12 oz. bottle poured into a beer goblet.

Oh, the humanity! The manager of the store at which I work, part time, decided to clean out the storage area and put some goodies out in a grocery cart with a sign: "Two per customer per day". Along with such goodies as Surly Eight and Deschutes The Dissident sat a handful of 2014 Bourbon County Brand Stout and Coffee Stout. I bought one of each as soon as I got into work. The Coffee Stout is everything I imagined it to be. The only flaw I could possibly point out is the lack of a significant head, but this is a minor quibble when one considers the totality of this magnificent brew. The aroma is molasses and coffee. The flavor is coffee, molasses, a tiny bit of roastiness and a touch of vanilla and bourbon. It feels like silk running over my tongue, and the alcohol is subtly warming, despite the high ABV. A little taller and longer lasting head might have raised my overall rating, but this is damned near perfect.

4.6/5  rDev 0%

2014 release.
Dark color, pours like motor oil.
Coats mouth while drinking.
Smell is more barrel (alcohol, vanilla, coconut) with a secondary coffee aroma coming through.
Only complaint is that there is still heat present on the aftertaste that detracts from the other flavors.

4.53/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I ran across a 12oz 2013 bottle of this in my stash of hard to get beers in the cellar. This is the best coffee stout I've ever had. I don't think I tried this fresh so I don't know if it would be better than this 2 year old bottle but this is fantastic. I can't really see getting better than this.

4.91/5  rDev +6.7%

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout(2013) pours a black color with almost no head. There is a big bourbon and coffee aromas. The taste has huge coffee notes, HUGE bourbon notes, with a warm from the alcohol finishing. Very full, nice sipping beer. Overall, amazing, everything blends together, its very big very bold and simply amazing.

WOW. WOW. WOW. Mine was a 2014 and it still drank like it was fresh. I got so much coffee on both the nose and taste. The head and mouthfeel were perfection. This beer absolutely blew me away.

4.89/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle share at Courtyard & Cellar for Toppling Goliath Mornin' Delight release!

22oz Bottle

2012 version. Jet black. Nose was a little weak. Taste is a super smooth, rich coffee and chocolate with hints of the barrel. Very very good. Highly recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 bottle. Rich coffee aroma on the nose with a full, but not thick mouthfeel. Cocoa, coffee and bourbon is a combo that can negatively affect a beer if not balanced, but if Goose Island ever had that problem, it has been long since resolved. This is a decadent beer that gets better as it warms. The 13+% ABV is there for sure, but rarely is it so smooth.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 bottle. Actually pretty Damn good. Bitter coffee smell. Smooth with spice coffee on the back of the throat. Cinnamon taste and smell. Lingering subtle coffee after the finish. Black in color.

4.52/5  rDev -1.7%

Had a 2014 at the BA Sexual Chocolate bottle share. It was motor oil black and had bourbon and coffee in the nose albeit the coffee was a bit faded. Would love to have tried this fresh. The mouthfeel is velvet as I have become accustomed to with all Bourbon County stouts. Pleasant heat from the booze and has a nice bourbon flavor with some coffee and cocoa.

4.93/5  rDev +7.2%

2014 Vintage bottled on 11/7/14 served in a snifter.

L - Oil black, with a very thin tan head that quickly disapated.

S - Mostly bourbon, some slight coffee and chocolate undertones.

T - Very similar to the smell - mostly bourbon with hints of coffee and chocolate.

F - This is where is stands out to me when compared to KBS and SMS - extremely thick, creamy, and smooth.

O - I'm a huge fan of coffee stouts, and up until I had this SMS was my favorite beer. I think this is my new favorite. Big and robust feel is what sets it apart. I would like to try it a bit more fresh as I think some of the coffee has faded, but at this point it's probably more well balanced. Definitely worth seeking out if you have the opportunity.

4.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014... I am extremely lucky: I had the privilege of sampling this spectacular brew with two of my best friends in the world. If you like coffee, stouts, and bourbon then you won’t be able to put this masterpiece down. For such a “heavy/dark” creation, BCBCS still appears to be quite ‘thin’ and translucent as compared to some of the other murky/clouded stouts. The smells, however, are as bold and domineering as one would expect from the original barrel aged stout; roasted coffee is by far the most pronounced fragrance and it even overpowers the bouquet of bourbon, dark chocolate, and vanilla that are eventually made known. The taste in one word is: perfect. Espresso forward. Molasses. Wood. Slightly vanilla. Impeccable. If you fall under the type of flavor profile listed above, go get BCBCS now. Literally now. I don’t care what you have to do.

Performed blind taste test with this, Ozark BDCS, and KBS. This was the winner. The best aroma and the smoothest taste. I was very surprised, but I guess I shouldn't have been. Bit of coffee, bit of bourbon, bit of sweetness. All went together so well.

4.63/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage poured into a Teku glass.

A - Black with almost no head at all. You can see the thickness as it pours.

S - Coffee and sweet bourbon mostly with a cherry fruitiness.

T - Follows the nose with roasted coffee and bourbon. A bit sweet with some fruit notes.

F - Perfection. Extremely thick, syrupy, and sticky with just a hint of carbonation.

O - I loved this beer and would like to try it fresh to get a some stronger coffee flavors.

4.93/5  rDev +7.2%

2014 vintage bottled in November. Nose very reminiscent of BCBS, your classic bourbon profile with some dark fruit and deep, roasty coffee creeping in the backdrop. Coffee flavor comes in waves up front and as I swallow but the flavor itself is pretty muted already at just beyond half a year old. Enhances the roasted malt dynamics of this big, viscous, beautiful beast of a beer.
The only way InBev makes there money off me and it's worth every penny every time, the whole lineup is killer and this one definitely stands in attention as the better 12oz offering.

4.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Strong coffee and chocolate taste and smell, very little bitter aftertaste. Very nice. We're about to drink a KBS so should be interesting to compare.

4.52/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So smooth and definitely something i need to get again in the near future. The taste is outstanding and its definitely one of the best beers in america!

4.33/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nose is cherry with slight coffee. Taste is heavy alcohol with coffee. Their cherry stout is better - not that this is bad because it is outstanding. The coffee is lost in this one, however.

4.96/5  rDev +7.8%

Is it even possible to make a better coffee stout? I'm leaning towards no.

Pours used motor oil black. Coffee notes beat up nose and palate upfront. Smooth full-bodied aftertaste with that great bourbon finishing note. Definitely the best coffee stout I've had to date.

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

2014 bottle - 6 1/2 months from the "bottled on" date

Look - Very dark with a slight light tan head. A little more bubbly than what I was expecting, since my previous experiences with Bourbon County have appeared almost sludge-like.

Smell - Coffee & bourbon, obviously. Also detect malts, dark chocolate & toffee.

Taste - Amazing. Very strong coffee taste up front, but it doesn't stay for long. It stays present while the bourbon, chocolate and malts that I found in the nose arrive to the party. After I swallow the (after)taste most present is the bourbon, it definitely stays with you. But I am also left with a bitter chocolate taste & a hint of cherries (I'll be honest: I didn't notice the cherry until I read other reviews but it definitely brought it to my attention. Could just be placebo but I don't think so.)

Feel - Thick, sticky, with a slight carbonation that gives a nice sensation as I sip.

Overall - I think this is the greatest beer I've ever had in my life. My only time drinking it, so I don't know what it's like super fresh, or with some real age on it... But based on this it would be excellent no matter how old/young the bottle.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.