Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 3,168
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010)
Reviews by Titans77:
4.98/5  rDev +6.4%

2013 bottle. Picked up a week ago.

Pours like oil, black as night with no head and a tan lacing ring around the glass. Looks like a thick stout. Pretty looking beer, but nothing perfect, even though it gets close. The smell is a summed up by the following words three words. "Bag of coffee." That might seem like a bold statement, and I thought for sure there would be more to it. Nope, still a bag of coffee. I don't really notice the bourbon characteristic of it on the smell. The best part? The coffee smells PERFECT. By far the most aromatic beer I have ever had the pleasure of breathing in. The taste is just other-worldly. Huge coffee and bourbon vanilla up front. I don't get any other flavors, and I really don't want to, to be honest. Sure there is a roasted malt and chocolate flavor with the slightest of dark fruits if you look hard enough. There is no point to do that here. Coffee and vanilla. It works well enough for me to give it a perfect score for taste. As for the mouthfeel, what did you expect from a BB Stout by Goose Island? Silky smooth, coats the mouth, light carbonation and no alcohol burn at 13.4%. Yeah, this is as good as it gets.

Overall? The best beer I have had to date by a rather large margin. I'm actually upset that I only have 1 bottle to enjoy for now. This is about as perfect as beer gets for me as of 12/8/13.

4.81/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans

In comparison to last year's version, the Anjilanaka provides a sweeter and nuttier component that takes off the more aggressive elements of roast and dryness. Succulent as ever and still with impressions of chocolate covered espresso beans, this world class beer follows up on the inaugural beer very well. Although I prefer the heightened sense of espresso roast and restrained sweetness of last year, this young follow-up represents the brand in regal fashion!

2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans

With so much anticipation, and with the success of the standard Bourbon County Brand Stout, there is no let down from the hype. This coffee infused BCS reminds me of chocolate covered espresso beans and the bourbon ball candies that we love so much here in the Bluegrass. Imagine my favorite espresso and my favorite stout hooked up at a great beery coffee shop and conceived an angelic brew.

The beer opens with a dead-on motor oil viscosity and color. A delicate crème forms with a roast-stained hue. Where the retention eventually succumbes to the alcohol and weight, the legging became more apparent. The low carbonation and visual weight of the beer adds to the mystique of its appearance.

Extremely seductive aromas of decedent cocoa, deeply roasted espresso, and bourbon all stand out in obvious stature. Lighter notes of cherry esters, licorice, and actual molasses help to round out the background attributes. The beer's aroma isn't overly complex but they show so much power, boldness, and harmony- this is the chick in the bar that you will intently make a fool of yourself just to catch her eye.

Flavors build even more, springboarding off of the powerful cocoa, espresso, and bourbon. But the thickness of the beer along with the creamy maltytness give even greater smoothness and melded taste making this beer way more drinkable than it should be; kinda malty-sweet-chocolatey like Whoppers malted milk candies. As the beer warms and deep in the finish, the molasses, licorice, and cherry flavors become much more apparant. Where hops are restrained, bitterness is achieved with the smooth bitterness of the carefully brewed espresso beans.

As expected, the beer is as thick, chewy, heavy, full, and as round as any beer that has crept into my mouth. And with the ultimate velvety textures, it drank much like a thick chocolate milkshake. The beer remains so very deep, lasting well into the finish and aftertaste.

It's crazy to talk that the coffee bean aging could possibly improve the Bourbon County Stout. I'm not sure that the Coffee Release is better but it's certainly not any worse.

4.47/5  rDev -4.5%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a thin mocha head that instantly faded away and left a thin ring of bubbles around the collar of the glass. As the beer warms up, it pours with a much larger head that also dissipates.
S: There is an intense aroma of bourbon and alcohol in the nose along with some hints of espresso beans.
T: Like the smell, the bourbon flavors really stand out in the overall taste, although unlike the regular Bourbon County Brand Stout these are balanced to some degree by the coffee and roasted malts. There are also some hints of oak.
M: It feels full-bodied and very viscous on the palate with a low amount of carbonation. There is warming from the alcohol in the finish.
D: This beer is definitely one that needs to be sipped given its strength; the intensity of the aromas and flavors will definitely wake you up. The addition of the coffee flavors makes the beer slightly more drinkable than Bourbon County Brand Stout.

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

Absolutely stunning. What else is there to say about this?

4.24/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served as the grand finale for the goose island themed tasting. Short notes from 7/27/14. Bottled 11/15/13. Served in a snifter.

A&S: Dark black colored beer, oily residue on the top, likely from the added coffee. Head doesn't hang around all that much, but when it was present it was a light brown color. Very deep black coffee tones, smells like straight chilled black coffee. The aroma hangs out at the same level the whole tasting.

T&M: Not the most complex or evolving beer. I expected the potent coffee tones to mellow and for the beer to develop into this grand mixture of black coffee, dark chocolates, toffee, etc. However this flavors didn't really come to fruition. Boozy whiskey tones were also present. The taste stayed dominated by coffee the whole way through, it gave way a bit but not really all that much. Body was full and on the creamy side, carbonation was low.

Overall: I don't think it was the aging condition, because the goose island barleywine was superb, so I have no clue. Don't get me wrong this beer is still an very excellent beer I just wouldn't put it was the 2nd highest ranking beer on BA.

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

A: The pour is fairly viscous and black with a finger's worth of brown head that has amazing retention.

S: An incredibly rich and robust nose. Tons of vanilla and coffee attack the sense. There is also quite a bit of chocolate, bourbon, and some more coffee for good measure.

T: The bourbon and barrel flavors come through more than I would have expected. Certainly plenty of vanilla and the coffee flavor is quite intense. A nice chocolatey and sweet finish.

M: As one might expect, this is a full bodied beer. The carbonation is low and smooth, giving the beer a very creamy mouthfeel.

D: There is a bit of heat that comes through (as there is with regular BCS), but it is covered up quite nicely by the vanilla and coffee. Still, this is one to drink with a few friends.

2.65/5  rDev -43.4%

Chuck D once told us not to believe the hype. I ought to have listened. This is a good beer, but it isn't the world class brew various members here would seem to suggest it is.

Appearance - Pitch black, with an adequate oatmeal head that dissipates a bit too quickly, leaving a relatively thick lacing.

Smell - Ground coffee dominates here, with mild hints of chocolate and bourbon.

Taste - Strongly alcoholic, in fact dominantly so. That it is bourbon-related is less than fully apparent, especially as compared to regular BCS. Coffee is noticeable, but weaker than it ought to be. A bit of molasses I think. Unspecifically sweet, in a cloying sort of way.

Mouthfeel - Thick, sticky, and extremely hot. Quite unpleasant in its extremity.

Drinkability - This is a one and done. And I don't just mean on a session basis. It was interesting to try, not something that I'd re-buy. It is just hard to drink something this hot, thick, and and sweet.

4.78/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Reviewing this one again, It's fantastic. Having this in 2010 at a festival didn't go it the justice it needed. This is damn near flawless for an imperial coffee stout. It's awesome!

Got to try this beer at the ACBF 2010 and all I could say is holy crap! This beer is wonderful, it was just overly flavorful. The color was black with a pretty good head for something so strong. The beer was thick and complex as hell. The bourbon screams out in this brew, there are flavors of coffee, vanilla, and lots of booze. This beer reminded me a little bit of Sam Adams Triple Bock but much better. This beer deserves another try, if I ever see it again I'll surely pick up some.

4.55/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Quietly slips out a full-on black body with an agitated, beige-colored head.

Smell: An alluring aroma, smooth and full of notes of roasty espresso beans, mellow bourbon, brown sugar, toasted marshmallows, a wizard's spiral oak staff, and dark chocolate truffles.

Taste: A ripple of sweet sugariness in the fore followed fast with a taste of top-notch coffee dosed with chocolate sauce, dark brown sugar, and a generous dusting of vanilla sugar. Clean, well-integrated bourbon accents. Dark fruitiness tucked away in the background. Notable oaken tones. Hint of roasty bitterness. A curtain call of all the various flavors preclude the positively warming, sweetish finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium-low carbonation. Smooth, velvety texture.

Drinkability: Damn, that's delicious. Quite strong but quite good. I recall the label mentioning something about aging it up to five years, but I dare say it's fantastic and ready now, unless you want to engage in an exercise in sheer willpower.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great to get my paws on a few bottles of this gem.Poured into a nifet jet black with a minimal mocha colored head.A mix of vanilla,dark roast coffee,dark sweet choclate,and molasses,the mixing of the boubon barrel age and coffee are great together.Full oily mouthfeel,it coats and slides down way to easy.Flavors are sweetish upfront with vanilla,dark fruit,and dark chocolate flavors,the heavy roast coffee flavors and oak really balance this beer out alot and make it great.Its a sipper but its one to savor,this is an amazing beer worthy of its high status.

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Sugar Maple

Appearance: dark brown, with a rapidly diminishing medium Brown head

Smell: coffee. Bourbon. Vanilla. Epic delish.

Taste: HOW IS THIS STILL ON TAP. Oh. My. God. See smell, and add heavenly delight to it.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, but in that give me more way. Sweetness lingers.

Overall: Near perfect. The end. Boom goes the dynamite.

4.12/5  rDev -12%

4.75/5  rDev +1.5%

4.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Ataraxia for this one, saving me the trouble of ever having to scour the ends of southeast Michigan to get my greasy paws on one. I love BCS and I love coffee so it stands to reason that I will bust my nut over this stuff, right? 2012 La Tortuga coffee edition. The pour is an incredibly deep shade of brown that it could easily be mistaken for completely black. The perfectly tan and grey tinted head is slow to form and bubbles up seconds after I'm finished pouring. A very still and menacing looking beer.

Wow, BCBCS has one of the deepest coffee aromas I've ever smelled. What exactly do I mean by "deep"? It's hard to explain, but I'll try - it's so dense, dark, roasted, grainy, raw, and pure with oily, thick, and robust coffee beans that it will immediately send any coffee-lover into an orgasmic coma. The bourbon is light on the nose at first, but comes out much more as the beer starts to warm up. The oak barrel flavors are much heavier than the bourbon itself and work very nicely with the coffee. Light vanilla and roasted cocoa powder outlines the edges of the aroma profile. So smooth, complex, deep, robust, and elegant, all at once. I think I need a cigarette.

The first thing I notice as I take a sip is that the mouth feel is nearly impeccable. So creamy, smooth, and silky on the palate - like a dream in liquid form. Big coffee and bourbon flavors up front - it's nice to see the bourbon come out strong in the flavor profile. After all, this IS bourbon county, right? One of the things I love about the original BCS and something that's proving to carry over to the coffee variant, too, is that the bourbon is so commanding and powerful, yet remains so smooth, mellow, and warming, without ever being too abrasive or hot. Goose Island has perfected the art of bourbon barrel aging a stout, I am completely convinced of that.

The amazing flavor continues to work all corners of my mouth. Smooth and deeply roasted, bitter coffee beans just run absolutely rampant; oily, thick, and borderline burnt. At first, coffee and bourbon comprise a majority of the profile, but the barrel characteristics really start to pop as the beer gets warmer. Heavy oak and wood, vanilla, light coconut, and a deep and super-bittersweet cocoa. Though it's warm and certainly boozy, the sweetness is perfectly balancing and very nice. So much so that it's wrong to call this beer "too boozy" or "too sweet", because it's neither. More and more, I'm starting to pick up some light spices, too. Maybe even light chilies on the tail end? Can't decide if it's actual chilies or just a light burn from such a heavy roasted blend of malt and coffee beans.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout is simply incredible. A coffee-stout lover's wet dream in a bottle. Just a maniacal explosion of coffee beans; roasty, bitter, creamy, and sweet all at once. Crazy oak, bourbon, vanilla, and cocoa tones with a nearly perfect balance. Sweet and warming with such an amazing delicacy. Insanely drinkable for such a high ABV. I battled over and over in my mind if I liked this better than the original BCS (especially the '08 vintage) and it took me a while to decide, but I believe this is top dog. Nevertheless, if its got Bourbon County on the label, you really can't go wrong.

4.15/5  rDev -11.3%

Reviewed from notes on 10/3/10. Thanks you, TCGoalie, for procuring this highly thought of beer for me.

A: I poured a little more than half of a bomber into my giant snifter, which results in a two finger, dark brown, mocha head. The body is black with a mocha twinge. The head sizzles off quickly and leaves a spotty haze on top with a dark khaki ring around the glass. It appears to be pretty heavily carbonated judging by the tumult of hazy bubbles on the top of the beer. A vigorous swirl of the glass leaves a viscous film on the the snifter, but no lacing.

S: A huge, heavy aroma of bourbon, dark chocolate, molasses, anise, hearty rye bread, and, yes, rather acidic coffee is alive within this beer. Some background smells of brown sugar, caraway, toffee, and charred marshmallow are also evident to my nose.

T: The sweeter edge of bourbon is the dominant taste on my palate at first and pairs with distinct molasses, brown sugar, and anise flavors. Gradually the more bitter flavors of dark chocolate and espresso wash away some of the sweetness, but in the end, I would say that the sweeter flavors (especially the anise and bourbon) win the day. I think I would prefer a little more impactful coffee flavor from a coffee stout. Perhaps that has worn off a bit with the 6 plus months of age that this bottle has on it.

M: The feel is very full bodied and coating on my palate. The bourbon presence really stings the sides of my mouth, while the bitter flavors sit on the flat of my tongue and percolate.

D: This is a big, bad mofo that I will certainly enjoy tasting again. However, I do think the sweeter flavors of the beer overpower the bitterness a bit too much. I will be quite interested to see how more age affects the taste.

4.78/5  rDev +2.1%

Truly black gold, with all of it's glass staining goodness and a short lived, bourbon barrel color head.

As the aroma of bourbon fills the room while pouring it you know that something great is about to happen. Closer inspection reveals one of the best smelling beers I've ever experienced. Vanilla, espresso bean, milky sweet and bitter chocolate, a whiff of alcohol. It smells a lot like an empty bourbon barrel.

It has an oaky bourbon flavor that intertwines with molasses, roasty coffee beans, and milk chocolate. But it's in the aftertaste that it really shines. The fade goes on and on with burnt cookies and espresso. Delicious finish.

The mouthfeel reminds me a bit of 2% milk, very smooth. It's not too high on my drinkablility scale, due to the richness and alcohol presence. It's a splitter and a sipper that demands respect, control, and attention. Deservedly so. In my top 5 without questions. Why did I not by more of this when I had the chance? Why?

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Opened today on Friday the 13th.

Appearance- The beer pours blacker then black. Minimal mocha head that dissipates to nothing. Looks like really old used motor oil. In a good way.

Smell - The smell is heavenly. Strong roasted coffee soaked in bourbon. Roasted malt with hints of chocolate and vanilla.

Taste - In your face coffee. This will wake you up. Coffee is followed by bourbon, cocoa, roasted malt. Some oak. It ends with a sweet bourbon flavor. All the flavors compliment each other with nothing being more dominant than the coffee. Beautifully done.

Mouthfeel - Thick and creamy. Coats your mouth. Minimal carbonation.

Overall - I'm not one to gush over a beer but this is an outstanding coffee stout. Top notch and memorable.

4.58/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz. bottle poured into a large Brandy Snifter

It pours a pitch black with a surprisingly deep mocha head that dies quickly into a very tight ring of bubbles around the edges. Hefty legs with carbonation bubbles appear when swirled. Around the thinnest edges of the glass a transparent deep chestnut color can be seen.

Ah yes the rich smell of bourbon, much like it's sister beer. The bourbon is much more muted and tame than it's sister though. From reading previous reviews I expected to be blown away the a deep rich coffee aroma. I found a surprising lack of that here and was kind of disappointed in the lack of a strong coffee nose as has been suggested.

This beer is intense. The coffee finally rears its big head in the taste and I'm loving it. The coffee and bourbon play nicely together with smooth synchronicity. The backend is where this beer shines though. I know this is the 2008 version of BCS but it was much smoother than 08 BCS at this point. The coffee just makes it rich, while the bourbon adds the sweetness to the beer. The aftertaste is great as well. It's almost like you are chewing the richest chocolate covered espresso beans in the world. I can't see how this beer could taste any better than it does right now.

The mouthfeel is so silky smooth with just the right amount of warming alcohol burn considering how bourbon heavy this beer is. Carbonation is perfect; it is present in the taste and has a nice scrubbing effect but not overdone to be distracting. The drinkability is good considering the ABV and the richness but it is such a thick calorie ridden beer I don't think it can score higher than a 4.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.