Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 2,755
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010)
Reviews by ZaxGhost:
ZaxGhost

Nebraska

04-29-2013 16:23:05 | More by ZaxGhost
oberon

4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Great to get my paws on a few bottles of this gem.Poured into a nifet jet black with a minimal mocha colored head.A mix of vanilla,dark roast coffee,dark sweet choclate,and molasses,the mixing of the boubon barrel age and coffee are great together.Full oily mouthfeel,it coats and slides down way to easy.Flavors are sweetish upfront with vanilla,dark fruit,and dark chocolate flavors,the heavy roast coffee flavors and oak really balance this beer out alot and make it great.Its a sipper but its one to savor,this is an amazing beer worthy of its high status.

11-21-2010 21:39:23 | More by oberon
don1481

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap at Sugar Maple

Appearance: dark brown, with a rapidly diminishing medium Brown head

Smell: coffee. Bourbon. Vanilla. Epic delish.

Taste: HOW IS THIS STILL ON TAP. Oh. My. God. See smell, and add heavenly delight to it.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, but in that give me more way. Sweetness lingers.

Overall: Near perfect. The end. Boom goes the dynamite.

03-13-2014 00:03:21 | More by don1481
DanGeo

4.75/5  rDev +1.5%

08-12-2013 23:45:01 | More by DanGeo
tectactoe

4.68/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Ataraxia for this one, saving me the trouble of ever having to scour the ends of southeast Michigan to get my greasy paws on one. I love BCS and I love coffee so it stands to reason that I will bust my nut over this stuff, right? 2012 La Tortuga coffee edition. The pour is an incredibly deep shade of brown that it could easily be mistaken for completely black. The perfectly tan and grey tinted head is slow to form and bubbles up seconds after I'm finished pouring. A very still and menacing looking beer.

Wow, BCBCS has one of the deepest coffee aromas I've ever smelled. What exactly do I mean by "deep"? It's hard to explain, but I'll try - it's so dense, dark, roasted, grainy, raw, and pure with oily, thick, and robust coffee beans that it will immediately send any coffee-lover into an orgasmic coma. The bourbon is light on the nose at first, but comes out much more as the beer starts to warm up. The oak barrel flavors are much heavier than the bourbon itself and work very nicely with the coffee. Light vanilla and roasted cocoa powder outlines the edges of the aroma profile. So smooth, complex, deep, robust, and elegant, all at once. I think I need a cigarette.

The first thing I notice as I take a sip is that the mouth feel is nearly impeccable. So creamy, smooth, and silky on the palate - like a dream in liquid form. Big coffee and bourbon flavors up front - it's nice to see the bourbon come out strong in the flavor profile. After all, this IS bourbon county, right? One of the things I love about the original BCS and something that's proving to carry over to the coffee variant, too, is that the bourbon is so commanding and powerful, yet remains so smooth, mellow, and warming, without ever being too abrasive or hot. Goose Island has perfected the art of bourbon barrel aging a stout, I am completely convinced of that.

The amazing flavor continues to work all corners of my mouth. Smooth and deeply roasted, bitter coffee beans just run absolutely rampant; oily, thick, and borderline burnt. At first, coffee and bourbon comprise a majority of the profile, but the barrel characteristics really start to pop as the beer gets warmer. Heavy oak and wood, vanilla, light coconut, and a deep and super-bittersweet cocoa. Though it's warm and certainly boozy, the sweetness is perfectly balancing and very nice. So much so that it's wrong to call this beer "too boozy" or "too sweet", because it's neither. More and more, I'm starting to pick up some light spices, too. Maybe even light chilies on the tail end? Can't decide if it's actual chilies or just a light burn from such a heavy roasted blend of malt and coffee beans.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout is simply incredible. A coffee-stout lover's wet dream in a bottle. Just a maniacal explosion of coffee beans; roasty, bitter, creamy, and sweet all at once. Crazy oak, bourbon, vanilla, and cocoa tones with a nearly perfect balance. Sweet and warming with such an amazing delicacy. Insanely drinkable for such a high ABV. I battled over and over in my mind if I liked this better than the original BCS (especially the '08 vintage) and it took me a while to decide, but I believe this is top dog. Nevertheless, if its got Bourbon County on the label, you really can't go wrong.

03-24-2013 16:53:51 | More by tectactoe
TCHopCraver

4.15/5  rDev -11.3%

Reviewed from notes on 10/3/10. Thanks you, TCGoalie, for procuring this highly thought of beer for me.

A: I poured a little more than half of a bomber into my giant snifter, which results in a two finger, dark brown, mocha head. The body is black with a mocha twinge. The head sizzles off quickly and leaves a spotty haze on top with a dark khaki ring around the glass. It appears to be pretty heavily carbonated judging by the tumult of hazy bubbles on the top of the beer. A vigorous swirl of the glass leaves a viscous film on the the snifter, but no lacing.

S: A huge, heavy aroma of bourbon, dark chocolate, molasses, anise, hearty rye bread, and, yes, rather acidic coffee is alive within this beer. Some background smells of brown sugar, caraway, toffee, and charred marshmallow are also evident to my nose.

T: The sweeter edge of bourbon is the dominant taste on my palate at first and pairs with distinct molasses, brown sugar, and anise flavors. Gradually the more bitter flavors of dark chocolate and espresso wash away some of the sweetness, but in the end, I would say that the sweeter flavors (especially the anise and bourbon) win the day. I think I would prefer a little more impactful coffee flavor from a coffee stout. Perhaps that has worn off a bit with the 6 plus months of age that this bottle has on it.

M: The feel is very full bodied and coating on my palate. The bourbon presence really stings the sides of my mouth, while the bitter flavors sit on the flat of my tongue and percolate.

D: This is a big, bad mofo that I will certainly enjoy tasting again. However, I do think the sweeter flavors of the beer overpower the bitterness a bit too much. I will be quite interested to see how more age affects the taste.

10-05-2010 00:54:06 | More by TCHopCraver

12-06-2013 18:03:29 | More by jono0101
brownbeer

Missouri

4.78/5  rDev +2.1%

Truly black gold, with all of it's glass staining goodness and a short lived, bourbon barrel color head.

As the aroma of bourbon fills the room while pouring it you know that something great is about to happen. Closer inspection reveals one of the best smelling beers I've ever experienced. Vanilla, espresso bean, milky sweet and bitter chocolate, a whiff of alcohol. It smells a lot like an empty bourbon barrel.

It has an oaky bourbon flavor that intertwines with molasses, roasty coffee beans, and milk chocolate. But it's in the aftertaste that it really shines. The fade goes on and on with burnt cookies and espresso. Delicious finish.

The mouthfeel reminds me a bit of 2% milk, very smooth. It's not too high on my drinkablility scale, due to the richness and alcohol presence. It's a splitter and a sipper that demands respect, control, and attention. Deservedly so. In my top 5 without questions. Why did I not by more of this when I had the chance? Why?

06-02-2010 22:30:20 | More by brownbeer
Schlais

12-27-2012 21:02:19 | More by Schlais
Tiernan

03-06-2014 19:40:44 | More by Tiernan
Spaten454

Louisiana

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Opened today on Friday the 13th.

Appearance- The beer pours blacker then black. Minimal mocha head that dissipates to nothing. Looks like really old used motor oil. In a good way.

Smell - The smell is heavenly. Strong roasted coffee soaked in bourbon. Roasted malt with hints of chocolate and vanilla.

Taste - In your face coffee. This will wake you up. Coffee is followed by bourbon, cocoa, roasted malt. Some oak. It ends with a sweet bourbon flavor. All the flavors compliment each other with nothing being more dominant than the coffee. Beautifully done.

Mouthfeel - Thick and creamy. Coats your mouth. Minimal carbonation.

Overall - I'm not one to gush over a beer but this is an outstanding coffee stout. Top notch and memorable.

06-13-2014 22:42:38 | More by Spaten454
weatherdog

4.58/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz. bottle poured into a large Brandy Snifter

It pours a pitch black with a surprisingly deep mocha head that dies quickly into a very tight ring of bubbles around the edges. Hefty legs with carbonation bubbles appear when swirled. Around the thinnest edges of the glass a transparent deep chestnut color can be seen.

Ah yes the rich smell of bourbon, much like it's sister beer. The bourbon is much more muted and tame than it's sister though. From reading previous reviews I expected to be blown away the a deep rich coffee aroma. I found a surprising lack of that here and was kind of disappointed in the lack of a strong coffee nose as has been suggested.

This beer is intense. The coffee finally rears its big head in the taste and I'm loving it. The coffee and bourbon play nicely together with smooth synchronicity. The backend is where this beer shines though. I know this is the 2008 version of BCS but it was much smoother than 08 BCS at this point. The coffee just makes it rich, while the bourbon adds the sweetness to the beer. The aftertaste is great as well. It's almost like you are chewing the richest chocolate covered espresso beans in the world. I can't see how this beer could taste any better than it does right now.

The mouthfeel is so silky smooth with just the right amount of warming alcohol burn considering how bourbon heavy this beer is. Carbonation is perfect; it is present in the taste and has a nice scrubbing effect but not overdone to be distracting. The drinkability is good considering the ABV and the richness but it is such a thick calorie ridden beer I don't think it can score higher than a 4.

05-29-2010 03:12:53 | More by weatherdog

SkiBum22

4.68/5  rDev 0%

2011 Vintage
Stone Snifter

A - Pours pitch black and even with an aggressive pour only a 1/4 inch dark khaki head that turns to nothing immediately.

S - Shockingly the first thing I get is chocolate and vanilla then coffee and some bourbon. Very sweet smell that leads me to think it's going to be a sweet beer.

T - Wow. Sweet just like I thought but in a good way. I thought the sweetness would overpower but it plays perfectly with the coffee, vanilla and chocolate notes. Some nice roastiness and oak from the barrel.

M - Perfect mouthfeel, thick and oily just like all big barrel stouts should be. Very little carbonation.

O - Another amazing beer from the Bourbon County Series. This beer has all the similar BCBS qualities you get from the series but still stands out on it's own. One of the best beers I've ever had. At 14% this is a great brew to take down by yourself or share with a friend.

08-14-2012 02:14:15 | More by SkiBum22
RebeccaMB

05-19-2014 21:16:27 | More by RebeccaMB
BubalooBrewMaster

Nevada

4.95/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12oz

A: Complete darkness,with a dark brown ring at the top if you look from an angle.

S:Fresh coffe,nuts and the proper amount of bourbon.

T:Its starts of like my day does,with the pleasent bitter taste of coffee.Before you know a quick kick of chocalate ushers you into a bourbon finish.

M:smooth,thick,lightly carbonated.

O:This beer lives up to the hype and worth the chase.Now I understand why it is the top rated Stout on BA.So far the best stout I have encountered to date.It is masterfully crafted to blow your mind and seduce your palate.The only thing to regret here is that I should of bought a case of this for myself to holdme off till next year.If I had four hands I would give it four thumbs up.

12-12-2013 06:30:21 | More by BubalooBrewMaster

02-25-2014 06:35:26 | More by Ben7773
newk340

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

shared with hu5om in new belgium goblets to let BCBCS breath a little.

A: gorgeous black pour, with no head and phenomenal lacing.

S: beautiful coffee aroma with hints of dark chocolate and bourbon, could get a buzz off of the smell alone.

T: fizzles on the tongue with initial flavors of oaked chocolate and bourbon that fades into a lasting coffee flavor that tingles the nostrils after each sip.

MF/D: a gentle fizz that dissolves into a smooth cascade of delectable flavors that fall down the throat. a shame we could only find one bottle. looking forward to GI's october and november releases (if i can find them!).

07-10-2010 23:11:03 | More by newk340
Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.